• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes |OT| Kaz, I'm already a demo

cackhyena

I S ranked all mission on my first trym (actually I need to play two mission, the C4 one and the Kojima rescue one), I spent maybe 4 hours on the game because I'm collecting some tapes without a guide and I take my time, but there's no more here.

1121699683.png

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I hear you. Wish there was a way to make it the same as MGS4. Is there a control scheme I'm missing?

They really want you to aim your weapon to do anything apparently... you can't move laterally, roll, turn on your back or anything without aiming first.

Pretty dumb and needlessly cumbersome imo, but hey... who am I.

cackhyena

They really want you to aim your weapon to do anything apparently... you can't move laterally, roll, turn on your back or anything without aiming first.

Yeah, I hope that changes. I'd also like to just do a stalking run with nothing but my knife. Wish I could drop weapons.

so... now that the dust has cleared, how do people feel about the value of the game compared to the price point they paid?

I agree with the rest of your post, I think its a great start, but the actual main mission is very short, theres enough to keep me busy for a while but I would have liked that and some more content. I only paid £20 for it on Xbox One which I guess was a fair price but they could have significantly improved the value if it had at least included a small part of MGO to give people more of a reason to play it for longer.

Spoilery for the ending cutscene

It would be nice if we could have could have taken control of Big Boss to do some stuff on the platform before it goes down but maybe thats just me.

Also, they need to hurry the fuck up with TPP

FrankWza

Yup. Played half of 4. Was too lost and never completed.

Why does the collection start with 3? I know story why is chronological, but not release order.

I think 3 was done so they could have it there for PW which he wanted in more player hands with the better control scheme since it was a PSP title. Also, they were probably the easiest to upgrade which is why MGS1 isn't in it. It's is probably best to play them in release order,especially for your first time. But if you just want to get to GZ play SE watch portable ops movie on youtube then play PW then GZ.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.

To move laterally or roll you would have to hold another button down anyway so may as well be aim. I do miss the ability to lay on your back though even if I never used it a single time in 4 across multiple playthroughs. I'm glad they didn't bring back the worm, as funny as it looked.

So regarding the ending.

When we got to Outer Haven if felt so much like an intro that for a second I actually thought that TPP was included on the disc and Kojima had worked with every news outlet and played the ultimate long con and pulled a MGS2 style dupe.

I was convinced for a fleeting moment I was about to take control and play 20 hours of gameplay.

Alas

cackhyena

To move laterally or roll you would have to hold another button down anyway so may as well be aim. I do miss the ability to lay on your back though even if I never used it a single time in 4 across multiple playthroughs. I'm glad they didn't bring back the worm, as funny as it looked.

You can lay on your back in this as well. Just can't scoot anywhere.

Alienous

So regarding the ending.

When we got to Outer Haven if felt so much like an intro that for a second I actually thought that TPP was included on the disc and Kojima had worked with every news outlet and played the ultimate long con and pulled a MGS2 style dupe.

I was convinced for a fleeting moment I was about to take control and play 20 hours of gameplay.

Alas

Did you input the Konami code?

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
So regarding the ending.

Alas

That was Mother Base, not Outer Heaven! Similar concept, and both look like the Big Shell from MGS2 although Mother Base did not necessarily have the helix DNA shape and we have only seen the Heliport of Outer Heaven. OH is in South Africa. Notice a little blurb about a certain desert at the end?

edit: wait no nevermind I forgot BB called Mother Base OH at the end of PW

You can lay on your back in this as well. Just can't scoot anywhere.

Ya that's what I meant, to manually switch yourself on your back.

fbgamer

Banned
Phantom Pain could be an amazing game. MGS4 was very mediocre with a poor storyline. The gameplay was almost bearable towards the end of the game. The last great MGS came out about a decade ago. MGS3 (which is coincidentally the last MGS game where David Hayter wasn't terrible, but wasn't great either)

Imagine the size of Camp Omega about 4 times bigger. Now imagine 4 or 5 other maps that big with an array of side missions, main missions and a boss in each map. With the choice and ability to travel to any of these "worlds" via helicopter when ever you please. Imagine all this with the lack of over dramatic, terribly written cut scenes that overstay their welcome.

I can't wait for Phantom Pain

Also: Kiefer Sutherland's big boss>>>>>>>>>>>>> David Hayter's

That was Mother Base, not Outer Heaven! Similar concept, and both look like the Big Shell from MGS2 although Mother Base did not necessarily have the helix DNA shape and we have only seen the Heliport of Outer Heaven. OH is in South Africa. Notice a little blurb about a certain desert at the end?

edit: wait no nevermind I forgot BB called Mother Base OH at the end of PW

Ya that's what I meant, to manually switch yourself on your back.

Thank you, I knew I had something mixed up and couldnt work out what.

I feel ashamed to call myself a MGS fan now.

The Stealth Fox

When reflex mode is disabled, guards should have to radio in before the whole base goes on alert, like in previous MGS games. I don't really understand why they took this out. Otherwise, the game is great.

Alienous

Phantom Pain could be an amazing game. MGS4 was very mediocre with a poor storyline. The gameplay was almost bearable towards the end of the game. The last great MGS came out about a decade ago. MGS3 (which is coincidentally the last MGS game where David Hayter wasn't terrible, but wasn't great either)

Imagine the size of Camp Omega about 4 times bigger. Now imagine 4 or 5 other maps that big with an array of side missions, main missions and a boss in each map. With the choice and ability to travel to any of these "worlds" via helicopter when ever you please. Imagine all this with the lack of over dramatic, terribly written cut scenes that overstay their welcome.

I can't wait for Phantom Pain

Also: Kiefer Sutherland's big boss>>>>>>>>>>>>> David Hayter's

I just hope I can summon some members of Mother Base 2.0 to help me storm an enemy facility, MGS4 Act 2 style. Those kinds of gameplay options would be awesome.

I just hope I can summon some members of Mother Base 2.0 to help me storm an enemy facility, MGS4 Act 2 style. Those kinds of gameplay options would be awesome.

A long time ago, Kojima mentioned something like bringing a companion with you for a mission. Not sure if that means a dog or a Mother Base soldier, or if this feature will even make it into the game.

cackhyena

I wish they'd add a few more animations for certain movements to really flesh it all out and have you slinking around in style. It's miles better than it's ever been, but hurdling waist high things is still a little stiff. The way he hops over a fence could transition a little smoother, and him constantly having to be facing directly forward is a little off.

Also, for things like magazine tosses, is there not just a quick fire button to toss it the general area you're pointing? I'm guessing no since there doesn't seem to be a blind fire option either.

I can't get over how bad Kiefer is.

In fact, he's not even bad, but nor is he good. He's just there. The non-story prisoners you rescue have better voice acting. At least Hayter gave Snake a personality.

Alienous

But dude, he's much more nuanced than Hayter ever was!
trololololoolololol

In Kiefer's performance I hear the stoic, battle-hardened soldier that you are led to believe Snake becomes after the events of MGS3.

He shouldn't be chirpy/hammy. Solid Snake was sarcastic enough where that performance worked, but it doesn't fit Big Boss as he stands (following Snake Eater).

You did not just call Metal Gear, a "serious dramatic gaming series."

He's not wrong.

It's about politics, love, warfare, murder, traitors, fighting for the greater good, espionage, and essentially, world domination in MGS4. I'd say that's pretty serious, and dramatic.

It's also a gaming series.

StuBurns

Banned
I think the new voice is much better.

The writing and direction are just as terrible as ever, but it seems worse here because it's lacking the levity the previous games always had.

FrankWza

I can't get over how bad Kiefer is.

In fact, he's not even bad, but nor is he good. He's just there. The non-story prisoners you rescue have better voice acting. At least Hayter gave Snake a personality.

Yeah...just there. Let's see how he is in TPP and future releases. At this point he's in it and we'll just have to hope for the best. But he didn't have much to do here voice acting wise and the codecs have changed too which gave him even less.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Go play MGS4. That game isn't up its own ass? The story is a joke, now look at the writing.

Yeah it takes itself pretty damn serious.

If bad anime story with a returning character that can't control his bowels is serious to you, I don't know what to tell you.

fbgamer

Banned
Well it's nice that Ground Zeroes is appealing to newcomers!

Been playing the games since 2003. Beat each one multiple times. All of the games are full of over dramatic characters delivering painfully terrible lines of dialogue. There are jokes and quips thrown in here and there it doesn't stop it from being a game with serious themes.

Griss

so... now that the dust has cleared, how do people feel about the value of the game compared to the price point they paid?

The gameplay is super, but as someone who doesn't get a kick out of replaying things I'm not happy. It wasn't an acceptable level of content for 35 euros, not to me. It really did feel like an extended demo. 10-15 euros would have been perfect.

I really expected the camp to be bigger, so that side ops would take place in different areas. The size of the camp really surprised me, I kept thinking I could go through gates or such only to find that it was the border of the map.

The second thing is that I was expecting a full prologue story. There's barely any story here. One extraction, followed by one attack, almost entirely out of context if you haven't played or don't remember Peace Walker. It was the lack of story that probably shocked me the most... My appetite for Phantom Pain was not whetted at all by those two cutscenes.

My final verdict is that it was a cynical cash grab for a company that desperately needs some cash. Unfortunately the series is so good I'll be there day one anyway, but I'm selling Ground Zeroes tomorrow and hope I get at least 25 euros back.

fbgamer

Banned
If bad anime story with a returning character that can't control his bowels is serious to you, I don't know what to tell you.

A COUPLE OF JOKES AND QUIPS thrown into game about NUCLEAR HOLOCAUST AND POLITICS GONE WRONG. About death in the "battlefield" and the pain that comes with war.

This series takes itself seriously. A little to seriously sometimes. If only it had good writing.

Griss

A COUPLE OF JOKES AND QUIPS thrown into game about NUCLEAR HOLOCAUST AND POLITICS GONE WRONG. About death in the "battlefield" and the pain that comes with war.

This series takes itself seriously. A little to seriously sometimes. If only it had good writing.

MGS is shit when it goes full serious. It's best moments are almost always comedy. That's why MGS2 is my least favourite, and why I loved MGS Rising. The story is terribly written if it's meant to be a serious thriller / drama. But as a kind of uber-skit on action movies that occasionally touches on some deeper subjects it's pretty much unparalleled. With this new direction it looks like I may have misunderstood Kojima's intent with his series all along.

FrankWza

In Kiefer's performance I hear the stoic, battle-hardened soldier that you are led to believe Snake becomes after the events of MGS3.

He shouldn't be chirpy/hammy. Solid Snake was sarcastic enough where that performance worked, but it doesn't fit Big Boss as he stands (following Snake Eater).

I agree with this. Solid is better as a cocky wiseguy. BB just can't be that guy with what he has been through and it doesn't make sense with what he is about to become.

SJRB

Gold Member
MGS is shit when it goes full serious. It's best moments are almost always comedy. That's why MGS2 is my least favourite, and why I loved MGS Rising. The story is terribly written if it's meant to be a serious thriller / drama. But as a kind of uber-skit on action movies that occasionally touches on some deeper subjects it's pretty much unparalleled. With this new direction it looks like I may have misunderstood Kojima's intent with his series all along.

Yes, I think you may have.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
MG has always been hokey shit, 50% serious business, 50% injokes and ridiculous plotlines. It's what I loved about it.

Man I really don't like how Mother Base went down like a stack of cards, I spent untold hours getting the best of the best soldiers to fill up the base and then they all go down like a bunch of redshirts.

cackhyena

Well, it's true, because S ranking depends:

-don't kill anyone
-don't set any alarm
-don't reload a checkpoint

No time limit required, if you use one or two reflex is ok (excluding some mission, like the assassination one, because if you do a reflex here you'll obtain only A rank).

It's very easy S rank here. Instead, it was very hard S rank in Peace Walker (because you need a proper equipment during boss fights or sneaking mission, to achieve a good time).

Right, and what you are telling me is on all the missions you went for, you S ranked them on your first try?...

Top Bottom