• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes |OT| Kaz, I'm already a demo

cackhyena

Haha, I managed to do it once on Normal. Not on Hard though. Went for Baldy first and carried him back to the extraction point where you begin the mission, then found Glasses in the Admin building.
I'll have to give it a shot at some point. I'm going to end up sinking way more time into this game than I already thought I would. Jeeez.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
This is the one thing I suck at doing. I can't pop out in front of an enemy and nail him with the tranq before he calls and alert. I always have to get them from behind with a tranq or CQC. Also, when you knock down an enemy with CQC, how long do they stay out?

Long enough, but not as long as CQC SUPAH-SLAMS do and even less than GET DOWNs.

RadioHeadAche said:
I'm assuming you can use weapons to hold-up for that trial?

I don't see why not. So long as you don't fire a bullet, I don't see what makes it different from CQC choke-holds?

I really want to know what the next Metal Gear Online will be like. The controls are solid, but I'm worried about the overall experience. I'd like there to be lobbies again, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was matchmaking-only like every other thing.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Man.

Why do I feel like I suck so bad at this game? I just don't get it.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
I really want to know what the next Metal Gear Online will be like. The controls are solid, but I'm worried about the overall experience. I'd like there to be lobbies again, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was matchmaking-only like every other thing.

For multiplayer, TPP needs LAN support like Uncharted 3, too. Playing this locally would be great.

TheSeks

Yeah, how do you slam people with CQC in this game?

Tap the CQC button when you're near them. If there is a group of them, you can "chain" CQC's when the prompt returns with an extra hand. It took Peace Walker's CQC system and put it in the game. They've dumbed down CQC since MGS4 or so and while it "plays" better it also doesn't give too many options.

_Isaac

A good exploit to do is tranq them. Then carry their body to a dark place. Kick them/CQC them back to life. Ready your gun. You should then hold them up. Then interrogate->GET DOWN them to where they stay down indefinitely where no one will find them.

Wow. I had no idea. I guess I usually just grab them when I hold them up.

That being said Sutherland, at this point in the story, is a way better choice than Hayter. Dave just isn't old enough yet to play the Big Boss this crazy story deserves, with the arc this character will have traveled by the end of TPP. I would love to have David back as Solid Snake if the story permits but if not there needs to be a deviation between the two and now is the time. The leader of Zanzibar Land, the legendary Mercenary Big Boss cannot sound the same as Solid Snake. I can't think of anyone (inclined to be doing VO for games anyway) that is a better fit; experience, countenance and age-wise than Keifer Sutherland.

Anyone (foolishly sometimes) invested in Metal Gear should be over the fucking moon that not only do we have a fitting voice for Big Boss but that it's Keifer "Jack Bauer Power Hour" Sutherland.

Man, you just nailed how I feel about this. I was initially nonplussed about his casting, but man he's a great choice and sounds fantastic in GZ. My hype for TPP is back at critical levels.

I think that, initially, this all felt too different to me. The new, next-gen Snake, the new voice, the gameplay changes, I just didn't think it was going to be "Metal Gear".

Sure enough, Kojima has proven me totally wrong. By the time that last part of the ending cutscene started (the
return to the destroyed Mother Base, and Snake firing the gun out of the chopper
), man, I was 100% onboard. I agree with nearly every gameplay update (horrible as I may be at it), and think they've finally nailed MGS controls for next-gen.

My point is that this is definitely, 100% Metal Gear Solid. Cannot fucking wait for the full game.

Lastly, I couldn't agree more with your point about the break needing to be made. Totally true.

edit: can someone please tell me how to do the GET DOWN move?

Just finished the initial mission. Was really taking my time with it simply because I didn't want to miss anything my first time through... and goddamn did I miss stuff! Started out doing it all very sneaky, very by-the-books, right up until I saw
the first tank. At which point my entire rest of the playthrough was dedicated to evacuating Paz in the loudest, heaviest, most over-the-top shoot-out style rescue attempt I've ever been a part of in a Metal Gear game.
for such a short mission the number of possibilities are enormous.

Just finished the initial mission. Was really taking my time with it simply because I didn't want to miss anything my first time through... and goddamn did I miss stuff! Started out doing it all very sneaky, very by-the-books, right up until I saw
the first tank. At which point my entire rest of the playthrough was dedicated to evacuating Paz in the loudest, heaviest, most over-the-top shoot-out style rescue attempt I've ever been a part of in a Metal Gear game.
for such a short mission the number of possibilities are enormous.

Haha! I played the same way. I gave up cause there is no way I could've finished that mission all stealthy. Will find more ways next time!

pugwishbone

Neo Member
GjGxZcl.jpg

I don't think I will be getting faster than that

DukeBobby

Just did the main mission and a couple of side ops.

They really nailed the gameplay in this one. Everything is just so fluid, and the controls are not terrible for once, aside from when trying to interrogate someone during a hold up.

Man, the full game is going to spectacular.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Stuff I noticed playing today:

- Bullet drop is absolutely not a factor in first-person view at least. Your bullets are lasers when lined up perfectly with the iron sights or sniper rifle reticle. If you're not going for nonlethal, the suppressed assault rifle absolutely decimates enemies with headshots. The enemy hitboxes are really well done in this game, very accurate to the character models.

- If you put a guard to sleep in a watchtower, instead of climbing up a buddy guard will yell up at him to wake up.

- First person controls are freaking great. Highly recommend them. Other than the benefit of no bullet drop as mentioned above, you can be very mobile while in first-person too. You can open doors in FPV and when you approach a waist-high barrier Snake will actually raise his knees a little bit so you can shoot over it. It's perfect.

- Normally sprinting into barriers or walls does nothing, but if you sprint into a guard or metal pole Snake will brace for impact and crash into it.

- You know that revolver that shoots nonlethal ammo? When you reload you actually reload exactly as much as you shot. If you shot twice, Snake only loads two rounds in the cylinder. If you shot once, it's only one round loaded for the animation.

Also just finished listening to all the tapes. I am so ready for Phantom Pain.

Sami+

Got all of the cassette tapes. Man, that took forever. Some of them are really well hidden and others require you to fulfill certain requirements during missions.

All that's left is to unlock all the trials, and I'll have all of the trophies. From there, S Ranking all of the missions on Hard will get me to 100%.

Real talk though, playing this has made me hopeful that Phantom Pain could literally be the best game ever for me. The gameplay is practically perfect and knowing that so many more dynamic factors and a hopefully stellar story are coming in TPP get me extremely excited for it. Does anyone else feel the same?

can you grab an enemies weapon from them in this game or is that in TPP

It's here. R2, then L1.

How long do knocked-out (not asleep) enemies stay unconscious?

I timed all the ways I could think of earlier. Here's the shortest to longest:

Backwards Slam - 50 seconds.
Forward Slam / Push into object - 1 minute.
Sleeping > Carry > Throw - 1 minute.
Choke-out / Slam into wall - 4 minutes.
Tranq to the head - 5 minutes.
CQC Beatdown - 30 freaking minutes!

I think Liam neeson would've made an awesome big boss voice.

They should have got Kurt Russell for full meta-ness.

Sami+

I timed all the ways I could think of earlier. Here's the shortest to longest:

Backwards Slam - 50 seconds.
Forward Slam / Push into object - 1 minute.
Sleeping > Carry > Throw - 1 minute.
Choke-out / Slam into wall - 4 minutes.
Tranq to the head - 5 minutes.
CQC Beatdown - 30 freaking minutes!

They should have got Kurt Russell for full meta-ness.

What about GET DOWNs?

wanders

Yeah.

Once Boss gives the order to get down, you can run away and do whatever. You don't even have to wait for them to get down. lol

They'll stay down forever too until unless someone finds them, or you get an alert.

What? This kinda breaks the game

peace walker was super easy when you can stick up everybody and they don't do shit

benzy

How do you go in first person view for the whole game?

Edit - nvm. Realized the poster meant only when readying the weapon.

Mik2121

Man, I like how the cutscenes vary depending on what you've done before.

On my first playthrough I went straight to chico and opened his cell first. During the cutscene Snake was looking at the other POWs as they were screaming for help, and the camera would look at them. On my third playthrough now, I saved all the POWs first and left Chico for the end, and the cutscene was slightly different, with the camera just looking at Snake and Chico, without moving towards the other cells.

And there's been other stuff that people said here, like if you bring Chico to the helicopter running and just put him up, the tape will drop from his pocket, but if you actually take your time and drop him on the ground before the helicopter comes, he will make you listen to a bit of the tape and then give it to you. Cool stuff!

Can't wait for TPP now, but it's going to be such a long wait... :(

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
So, about the MGSV iOS/Android app: Anyone knows if the app stores ingame data on the device, or does it just work as an intermedary and all data stays on the console? The app runs like shit on my phone (iPhone 3GS) so I was thinking of borrowing someone else's tablet or something for a while.

Totally a goofy thing.

That's good. Was afraid I ruined something for myself.

What? This kinda breaks the game

peace walker was super easy when you can stick up everybody and they don't do shit

I dunno, I think all of the mechanics in this game have been rebalanced quite nicely. Tranq is no longer a weapon from god and on top of that it's ammo is appropriately scarce. Enemies don't just stay asleep forever anymore either. If you scroll through all the loading screen tips, they tell you how effective various knockout methods are and how long enemies stay unconscious, with choke outs being as effective as tranqs, cqc throws being least effective, and the cqc combo being most effective.

Given all these changes, the fact that there is an ability to indefinitely take someone out of the picture if you catch them in a place where they're completely alone and no patrol will ever come by (since I don't think you can drag them after you hold them up) doesn't seem so bad to me. Plus you have to get right up on them and it actually does take a little bit of time.

But I agree with you about peace walker. By the end of that game I felt like I had pretty much solved it. Hope the same doesn't happen here.

Knight is having a meltdown on his Ground Zeroes stream at the time of this post. Got into an argument with a stream monster about Kojima's intentions with MGS2 and it is glorious.

When he finally gets back to playing the game, it looks like he developed a strat (or found a strat somewhere) for playing the hardest way possible, no alerts, no reflex, no hud elements, no retries, etc.

Sub_Level

The lighting in this game is phenomenal. Such a huge step up from MGS4.

Dude that anti-air mission that takes place in the morning is beautiful. The light source doesn't just change the sun's position and some shadows; afternoon has a distinct look from morning.

So for the MGO heads in the thread, what can you guys pick up from the main game stuff that can be carried over into MGO3. Vehicles seem interesting and it seems like we could be using Binoculars as a replacement for SOP.

Sub_Level

Yes, 7 chico tapes in total. I would say to look up a guide because some are in other missions. Pretty obtuse.

TheSeks

So for the MGO heads in the thread, what can you guys pick up from the main game stuff that can be carried over into MGO3. Vehicles seem interesting and it seems like we could be using Binoculars as a replacement for SOP.

Nothing. MGO isn't in GZ.

StuBurns

Banned
Speaking of things in the game, am I exceptionally stupid, or is Mother Base not in this game? I'm really sure I saw screenshots of it a few weeks ago, I think it was a Ducky thread.

rvy

Banned
Speaking of things in the game, am I exceptionally stupid, or is Mother Base not in this game? I'm really sure I saw screenshots of it a few weeks ago, I think it was a Ducky thread.

I think the Mother Base is only for the iDroid app.

hughesta

Banned
Just played through the Ground Zeroes mission for the first time st a friend's house. I was pretty terrible at it (got 8 alerts) but I loved it. So excited for TPP.

I also somehow got an S rank.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

I dunno but I'm very excited. Game controls like a dream for me. I'm interested in seeing what they do with CQC this time around. It'd be cool if you could counter (like the final fight in MGS3) and then counter the counter; get some kind of rally going on till one player flubs it....

....or a third party shoots one of you in the head. XD

EDIT: Good call on the binoculars. I was wondering how they'd tie SOP in. Such a great mechanic.

Whompa

how in gods name are people able to finish the game that fast!?

I'm going through my 6th or 7th playthrough right now and I can't get remotely close to those times...god damn!

nillapuddin

Guys Im really stuck, on the Intel Acquisition mission Im trying to mark all the enemies, last night I played for hours and couldnt find everyone, now this morning I wanted to "take care of it real quick" and Im stuck on 25/26 again. Im shooting rockets everyone, blowing up cameras, and theres just nothing, everyone on the map is tranq'd and the only thing I can do now is just finish the mission

Is there a really really really well hidden guy or something?

Guys Im really stuck, on the Intel Acquisition mission Im trying to mark all the enemies, last night I played for hours and couldnt find everyone, now this morning I wanted to "take care of it real quick" and Im stuck on 25/26 again. Im shooting rockets everyone, blowing up cameras, and theres just nothing, everyone on the map is tranq'd and the only thing I can do now is just finish the mission

Is there a really really really well hidden guy or something?

Check the guard posts by the road exits?

Or kill everyone else, go up to the big tower and see if you can spot him with the NVG on. Maybe the guy that drops the tape only spawns after you interrogate the informant?

Top Bottom