• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes |OT| Kaz, I'm already a demo

SkylineRKR

The game is such a odd mix visually. Snake looks really great aside from his carpet hair but other things are just so strange. Also at the end of the demo
When the base is getting destroyed
anyone else think the overall lighting and particle system was really strange? It looked like like something from the MT Framework Engine Capcom uses. The aesthetics and general look reminded me so much of RE6.

Its sort of good looking and the framerate is high (Ps4), but its also sort of clean and there isn't much to interact with. Bushes for example look rather sterile. In MGS3 for example the foliage moved much more..

UrbanRats

Will TPP include GZ?

edit: No? Weird.

Many say no, but i think there'll be a complete-edition bundle.

Maybe GZ players who have a save will get some in-game reward though.

Like, Dark Arisen players who had a Dragon's Dogma save-game, got an unlimited Ferrystone (a fast travel object that is usually one-use).
Pretty handy stuff.

The game is such a odd mix visually. Snake looks really great aside from his carpet hair but other things are just so strange. Also at the end of the demo
When the base is getting destroyed
anyone else think the overall lighting and particle system was really strange? It looked like like something from the MT Framework Engine Capcom uses. The aesthetics and general look reminded me so much of RE6.

Japanese games have a similar aesthetics in the way they go about creating their assets. Everything has a very clean look and feel to it.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I still don't have a full understanding of the controls. What are all the different things you can do in CQC? And how do you even go into first person aiming?

CQC

- Tilt stick and press R2 to slam enemy down. If you slam them towards a wall they will be knocked out longer
- Press and hold R2 to grab an enemy. From here you can interrogate (L2), choke (keep pressing R2 in this position), or stab (forgot the button but it tells you in a prompt)
- Press R2 repeatedly to perform a punching combo
- When an enemy is down you can kick them by pressing R2
- There's more but those are the basics.

FPV

- R1 for Scope. You can hold and move around
- L2 to ready and aim weapon while holding R1. You can hold and move around.
- R2 to shoot in fpv while holding L2 and R1. You can hold and move around.

Japanese games have a similar aesthetics in the way they go about creating their assets. Everything has a very clean look and feel to it.

That is it exactly! Its too clean. Almost like when you take a previous generation game and up the framerate and resolution your left with this smooth clean image that just feels sterile.

rvy

Banned
I just want to add that you can disarm enemies, and use their weapon against them, if you punch once or twice with the CQC button and then press the aim button while punching.
The animation is different depending on what weapon the enemy is holding.

That is it exactly! Its too clean. Almost like when you take a previous generation game and up the framerate and resolution your left with this smooth clean image that just feels sterile.

Nope. It's called aesthetics. Personally, I think MGS games are brilliant in their editing of details in favor of performance and visual impact. Add to that the best art direction in the industry (IMO) and you have something that stands the test of time rather than being forgotten within months of release.

I just want to add that you can disarm enemies, and use their weapon against them, if you punch once or twice with the CQC button and then press the aim button while punching.
The animation is different depending on what weapon the enemy is holding.

I'm still trying to figure out if that slide to the side Snake does in the TPP trailer is part of the animation of if that is something the player can pull off.

rvy

Banned
I'm still trying to figure out if that slide to the side Snake does in the TPP trailer is part of the animation of if that is something the player can pull off.

I think it works under special conditions, like two enemies close to each other. Haven't managed to get it in GZ.

The more I see this game the more I want to play it. But: Haven't played much MGS before.

That's great, because this game plays nothing like previous MGS game. Thankfully.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I find it a bit ridiculous that all these dumpsters and sani huts can't be opened to hide bodies in. What's up Hideo!

Nor can you enter blue-door buildings. Guards can come in/out of them, but you can't. The administration building means no alternate routes besides two to the holding area. Stupid, really.

Raynes

BjPz14VCIAEjGMi.jpg:large

Lying down and shooting.
Is this actually possible?

CQC

- Tilt stick and press R2 to slam enemy down. If you slam them towards a wall they will be knocked out longer
- Press and hold R2 to grab an enemy. From here you can interrogate (L2), choke (keep pressing R2 in this position), or stab (forgot the button but it tells you in a prompt)
- Press R2 repeatedly to perform a punching combo
- When an enemy is down you can kick them by pressing R2
- There's more but those are the basics.

Why does Snake immediately drop choked out or killed guards after you grab them ?
So every time you have to pick them up again to carry them...

Is there a way to prevent dropping them ?

FrankWza

So for the MGO heads in the thread, what can you guys pick up from the main game stuff that can be carried over into MGO3. Vehicles seem interesting and it seems like we could be using Binoculars as a replacement for SOP.

They haven't been clear about that but I'm assuming you can. It should all tie into mother base.

Sub_Level

Why does Snake immediately drop choked out or killed guards after you grab them ?
So every time you have to pick them up again to carry them...

Is there a way to prevent dropping them ?

Unfortunately no.

I remember you could do that in Chaos Theory.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Felt so good playing some MGS again when I started it up, there isn't a lot to the main part really, and while I enjoyed it by the end I was just annoyed that this is all we have gotten and that we are going to have to no doubt wait another year for the full game.

Kiefer is alright, it was more strange than anything else hearing someone other than Hayter come out of Snakes mouth. At the same time to me Hayter is and will always be Solid Snake, like how they changed the voice for Big Boss in MGS4 it didn't bother me at all really. So I don't mind the change, but then like many I am kind of hoping either during or following MGS5 Solid Snake will return in some form with Hayter as the voice, I personally would really like them to just remake and stick MG1/2 into the main series and see these two characters face off.

Spaghetti

so... now that the dust has cleared, how do people feel about the value of the game compared to the price point they paid?

i spent £23 on the ps3 version, and i've gotten a lot of time out of it. however, a lot of the time i've gotten out of it is down to trials and perfecting runs to get s ranks. i wouldn't dream of doing stuff like that immediately after completing a game, i'd give it a little while before i started a 100% run. it's left me wanting more but in the worst possible way.

i'm not particularly pleased with the unlockables either. it's nice having a few playthings to mess around with in the mission but on the whole i feel a little underwhelmed by the rewards for spending so much effort on getting it just right.

that said, the gameplay is incredibly solid and really the best playing mgs game to date in my eyes. it feels like a true realisation of an infiltration game. the camera can get a little too close with tight spaces, and getting used to the less sensitive movement speed compared to how you're pressing on the stick is a little jarring if you're coming off an older mgs game. other than that though, i don't really have any complaints. even the driving is quite good and rooted in realistic handling.

i don't feel cheated, but i just want more.

i just want to see the phantom pain released within a year to a year and a half now. i'm done with the starter, i want the main course.

I know this game has the iPhone and Android app but does it use the PS Vita's second screen function or just remote play? Reason I am asking is because I had a Windows Phone and sadly we don't get that app, so I am hoping they at least make it possible through the Vita.

Thanks!

So, what features do people think should be changed/improved/kept for The Phantom Pain?

1 thing that should be changed: When restarting from checkpoint, stop your radio contact from repeating the same damn information that he did during the start. It gets really annoying.

How do you get the prisoner in position for the achievement/trophy? I used a guide which said to extract Chico first (which I did, although I also extracted all the other prisoners too) - is that where I went wrong?

FrankWza

so... now that the dust has cleared, how do people feel about the value of the game compared to the price point they paid?

i spent £23 on the ps3 version, and i've gotten a lot of time out of it. however, a lot of the time i've gotten out of it is down to trials and perfecting runs to get s ranks. i wouldn't dream of doing stuff like that immediately after completing a game, i'd give it a little while before i started a 100% run. it's left me wanting more but in the worst possible way.

i'm not particularly pleased with the unlockables either. it's nice having a few playthings to mess around with in the mission but on the whole i feel a little underwhelmed by the rewards for spending so much effort on getting it just right.

that said, the gameplay is incredibly solid and really the best playing mgs game to date in my eyes. it feels like a true realisation of an infiltration game. the camera can get a little too close with tight spaces, and getting used to the less sensitive movement speed compared to how you're pressing on the stick is a little jarring if you're coming off an older mgs game. other than that though, i don't really have any complaints. even the driving is quite good and rooted in realistic handling.

i don't feel cheated, but i just want more.

i just want to see the phantom pain released within a year to a year and a half now. i'm done with the starter, i want the main course.

In this thread you'll probably get mostly positives on the value. But there's a whole other thread where it's being blasted. I think your approach to the game will be on the value side and those that just play to end credits will feel cheated. It's that simple. I'd like to see every MG fan play this before TPP. The changes in gameplay mechanics really are awesome and this prologue coming as a tutorial was necessary no matter how it was made available

AHA-Lambda

Will TPP include GZ?

edit: No? Weird.

I'd put money on it.

Why? The included DLC included in the GZ box to me is there to satiate the inevitable cries from fans who bought GZ on launch when it is bundled with TPP, so that Konami has an excuse that they didn't completely screw over GZ buyers.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Many say no, but i think there'll be a complete-edition bundle.

Maybe GZ players who have a save will get some in-game reward though.

Like, Dark Arisen players who had a Dragon's Dogma save-game, got an unlimited Ferrystone (a fast travel object that is usually one-use).
Pretty handy stuff.
I have no doubt there will be a £70 bundle, but GZ is as standalone as PW.

FrankWza

I know this game has the iPhone and Android app but does it use the PS Vita's second screen function or just remote play? Reason I am asking is because I had a Windows Phone and sadly we don't get that app, so I am hoping they at least make it possible through the Vita.

Thanks!

It doesnt. Probably obvious but do you have any droid or ios device...iPod touch maybe? Might be available there.

Danny 117

I really dislike the prone controls.

I'm with you there. There's something wrong, especially when you want to go backwards.
The good thing is, that all of the issues faced are little nit picky issues that Kojipro can definitely resolve for TPP.

Makes me sort of glad they released Ground Zeroes separately.

Has anyone seen anything about the soundtrack/score for Ground Zeroes?

There were some pretty neat tunes in there I'd like to get to add to the rest of my MGS Music collection. Mr Gregson-Williams doesn't seem to have a twitter, and any google search of score or soundtrack comes up with listings of the games review score or that it has in-game custom soundtrack.

There's a guy on youtube that has good rips of most tracks:

https://www.youtube.com/user/revolverninja

:)

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Has anyone seen anything about the soundtrack/score for Ground Zeroes?

There were some pretty neat tunes in there I'd like to get to add to the rest of my MGS Music collection. Mr Gregson-Williams doesn't seem to have a twitter, and any google search of score or soundtrack comes up with listings of the games review score or that it has in-game custom soundtrack.

Alienous

I'd put money on it.

Why? The included DLC included in the GZ box to me is there to satiate the inevitable cries from fans who bought GZ on launch when it is bundled with TPP, so that Konami has an excuse that they didn't completely screw over GZ buyers.

I think they'll do a bundle, but I doubt Ground Zeroes will be part of The Phantom Pain.

The opportunity they've afforded themselves by splitting off Ground Zeroes, in terms of having a contextually perfect opening/tutorial, isn't something I can see them 'ruining' by slapping Ground Zeroes on like the Tanker chapter.

It's actually the only reason I'm glad they made Ground Zeroes something separate. (TPP speculation spoilers)
Waking out of a coma is the perfect explanation for booting up a game. Learning how to crawl, crouch, jog, sprint, shoot only makes sense, for Big Boss, in the context of him trying to do these things after a coma has atrophied his muscles. Even dialogue like "Press the Triangle button to ..." can be explained away by Big Boss being in a dream-like state. And players who haven't played Ground Zeroes have a narrative explanation for not knowing what took place in that game (head injury)
. Just that perfect set-up makes me think TPP could be an all-time classic.

Sub_Level

Has anyone know of or seen anything about the soundtrack/score for Ground Zeroes? there were some pretty neat tunes in there I'd like to get to add to the rest of my MGS Music collection.

Ludvig Forssell is the music writer while Akihiro Honda is the composer who has been involved with sound in the series since Sons of Liberty. He has kind of been "handed the reigns"so to speak taking over from Norihiko Hibino who is responsible for much of the MGS saga music. Harry Gregson Williams is also cited as a composer. Not sure any word is out on where and when to buy the soundtrack.

Rolling when prone with the Xbox One sticks its nearly impossible.

I unlocked Jamais Vu, Pretty fun running around as Raiden 2.0 (2.5?)

Loving what I've got out the game so far.

The cinematic stuff was awesome, The gameplay feels refined and much less "static" than previous titles. I should really play PW but those stupid cutscenes are ruining it for me. I want Kojima style soap operas x AAA movie and I'm getting a poor mans Animated Comic.

Spaghetti

In this thread you'll probably get mostly positives on the value. But there's a whole other thread where it's being blasted. I think your approach to the game will be on the value side and those that just play to end credits will feel cheated. It's that simple. I'd like to see every MG fan play this before TPP. The changes in gameplay mechanics really are awesome and this prologue coming as a tutorial was necessary no matter how it was made available
yeah, there was no way i was going to post this in the angry joe thread. it's just a steaming cesspool of ranting because, well, angry joe. it's what he does, and what he incites.

i'm pretty sure i'll get a more even handed set of responses in this thread really, as it seems people have actually bought and played it, rather than just railing on about the price point.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I'm with you there. There's something wrong, especially when you want to go backwards.
The good thing is, that all of the issues faced are little nit picky issues that Kojipro can definitely resolve for TPP.

Makes me sort of glad they released Ground Zeroes separately.

I can go forward and backward. It's turning in any direction under duress that creates the comedy.

And no they won't "resolve" it because the MG playerbase and creators would never acknowledge it as broken or even suboptimal.

"Just aim your weapon and you he'll warp to position", because that's how MG games always work. A really disjointed, gamey mechanics for most actions.

Danny 117

I can go forward and backward. It's turning in any direction under duress that creates the comedy.

And no they won't "resolve" it because the MG playerbase and creators would never acknowledge it as broken or even suboptimal.

"Just aim your weapon and you he'll warp to position", because that's how MG games always work. A really disjointed, gamey mechanics for most actions.

Well they're willing to listen to feedback. I'm not sure if reflex mode was even able to be disabled at the beginning, until we all cried about it.

You're right though, not enough people will complain about it so it probably won't be fixed.

FrankWza

yeah, there was no way i was going to post this in the angry joe thread. it's just a steaming cesspool of ranting because, well, angry joe. it's what he does, and what he incites.

i'm pretty sure i'll get a more even handed set of responses in this thread really, as it seems people have actually bought and played it, rather than just railing on about the price point.

It will still be biased here because OTs usually are. But yeah its best to be informed about the people who are informing you. This thread is your best bet so you can get opinions from those that play like you do and focus on those posts.

Sub_Level

So, what features do people think should be changed/improved/kept for The Phantom Pain?

Well other than the obvious changes coming (weather, day/night cycle, base management) I really feel like sprinting should be limited. It's gonna be ridiculous if you can have Snake run full sprint across the Afghanistan desert for five minutes. I like the 2-weapon limit + sidearm and throwables but hopefully in Phantom Pain that left button will be more than just NVG. It should branch out into a list of items you can use like the cardboard box.

It's pretty cool.

Top Bottom