• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes |OT| Kaz, I'm already a demo

I could see it being the same for me. I have no s ranks yet. I just took my sweet ass time with the informant mission, making sure I got the right tape and rescuing the hostages with no alerts. I had a couple reflex shots I had to pull off, but I got a ranking of C.... I couldn't believe it. I did take a long time, though, so I assume that was the problem. I wish that didn't factor in, though.

I'm loving what this type of structure means for TPP and it's replay-ability. Giant open world hubs that you can come back to like chapters and do all kinds of objectives. Seems like an easy thing to add DLC to as well.

Getting the s rank let me sort of see which categories have high values. Getting a no reflex bonus is a decent chunk. Getting prisoners is huge. I took 36 minutes on that run and reloaded a checkpoint twice, time gives a load of points even at 36 minutes so yeah work on that. Use the checkpoints, the points you lose is minimal, way worse than having a reflex action.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Yes they are canon, when you play them the game says that they are A pseudo historical recreation of the events that happened in other place. (That's why they say that they are in another place but is camp omega)

Hideo Kojima confirmed as canonical Metal Gear character

cackhyena

Getting the s rank let me sort of see which categories have high values. Getting a no reflex bonus is a decent chunk. Getting prisoners is huge. I took 36 minutes on that run and reloaded a checkpoint twice, time gives a load of points even at 36 minutes so yeah work on that. Use the checkpoints, the points you lose is minimal, way worse than having a reflex action.
Huh, thanks. Yeah, my run was 49 minutes. No checkpoints, though. Reflex must have got me good.

RedSwirl

Quick question about the AA gun mission:
Can the armored vehicle in that mission (or another one) be found anywhere prior to blowing up the gun placements?

RedSwirl

Phantom Pain needs to have a way for you to tell how much C4 you have placed.
Checkpoints in the anti-air gun mission become frustrating because you're never quite sure how many of the charges you placed before the last checkpoint. I wanted to blow all the guns AFTER I'd acquired a rocket launcher so I could be ready for the armor, but after a checkpoint I wasn't sure if I had to replace the bombs, so I ended up detonating them to make sure, but the game auto-saved before I could reload. And to top it off it looks like the game didn't save the fact that I'd extracted the POW from the boiler room, so now I have to do the mission all over again for the 7th tape.

They might also want to think about introducing quicksave in Phantom Pain.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Kiefer is all like "yeah, those guys build games or something along those lines. I don't even know why they got me to scream the word Liquid, as if the main character hated drinking stuff".

Stephen: "I hate you so much. At least my game was cute and had sackboys".

Kiefer: "What the hell is a Sackboy?"

_Isaac

Doesn't it do this if you target someone but there's a piece of the environment slightly obstructing your shot?

Hm. Not sure. I'm watching my cousin play, and It's happened to him a few times. I guess that would make some sense. I guess it's telling you that there's a chance it'll hit your target or that other object.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Do you need markers turned on to mark enemies? I hear a click when I zoom in on enemies but there's no visual indication I marked them.

RedSwirl

Do they ever explain why the aiming reticle sometimes fades into two at some points? Is it just a stylish effect?

It means there's something in the way of your line of sight. I got that once and decided to go into first person mode, and it showed a pole or something in my line of sight.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
I think MGS4 had the two part reticle too when something was in your way.

RedSwirl

Man, that AA gun mission basically turns into an action game for me. I can never stay out of enemy sight for long because the place is so packed on that mission. Problem is, I'm still trying to play non-lethal so I basically just end up running away from everyone and occasionally tranqing or knocking out people. It actually makes it into a pretty interesting chase game.

I dunno guys, Ground Zeroes was fun to play around in but I come to MGS games for the hammy overblown dramatic nonsense, not to s-rank speed runs and shit like that. I gotta say this has left me wanting.

Still, good for y'all.

Aleph

I found out you can manually adjust the binocular's zoom level by pressing up/down on the d-pad. Fairly useful.

Probably already asked but are the extra ops canon? At first I considered them non canon, rather like some of the extra ops in Peace Walker like going on dates with Paz and Kaz, but then the Metal Gear wiki places them into the timeline. Which of course wouldn't make any sense given
the second to last extra op sees Camp Omega bombed to hell, and these missions are supposed to take place before Ground Zeroes.

Obviously Deja Vu/Jamais Vu missions are not canon.

I think their 'story' aspect is canon, but, as the description says when you start the mission (
a pseudo-historical recreation
) I can imagine they
didn't take place on camp Omega

cchum

Lay in some grass. One almost walked on top of me, flashed his light right beside me (maybe even on my legs) and didn't notice me.

Yep, each phase of crouching reduces radius that the enemy can see you. Running=nearly across the map
walk= halfway
crouch walk=half that distance
crawling=nearly on top of you

Or something like that. My difficulty in this game is knowing when they can see me

Edit: Just figured out the dive is pretty much a tackle when used as an attack. Makes more sense then rolling ball of doom.

Big Boss' sneaking suit is absolutely awesome:

BjeBdv_IUAA-sim.jpg:large

BjeBlwrIEAE8bnn.jpg:large

BjeASNyIYAAvPBo.jpg:large

I wonder if they'll make a new one for Phantom Pain or just stick with the different camo colors as outfits...

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Shame. The music for the whole project, including trailers, has been awesome. Infiltration Theme in GZ, Not Your Kind of People and Here's To You are fantastic.

I'm still surprised Kojima included that in a trailer. I didn't take him for a Garbage fan.

_Isaac said:
Do they ever explain why the aiming reticle sometimes fades into two at some points? Is it just a stylish effect?

Sd0jRdL.png

You new to Third Person Shooters or something? This is done with cover is blocking your shot. Not all TPS use this method, but it isn't an entirely new thing.

Speaking of which, when prone and on a roof, the TPS AND FPS aiming views will freak out on trying to shoot over the lip of the roof. It's majorly annoying.

raven777

I heard from few people that there is a difference in difficulty with English version and Japanese version, with JP version being harder. Basically the guards in JP version can you see you from farther away. And in situations where you sneak behind the guard and the guard won't notice you in English version, but in same situation the guards will notice in Japanese version.

I am not 100% sure on this since I haven't tried it myself.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
I heard from few people that there is a difference in difficulty with English version and Japanese version, with JP version being harder. Basically the guards in JP version can you see you from farther away. .

Is there any average distance stated on this? I think that on daylight in the western versions they get to see you from about 40-ish meters?

Has anyone else realized that aiming in the prone position is straight out of Max Payne 3?

I was thinking the same thing when I was playing earlier. I wonder if some of the Rockstar devs shared some ideas. Also, Boss just sitting smoking a cig for the main menu I thought was another Max Payne 3 influence. Kojima has said that the stuff Rockstar has been putting out influenced him a lot....and also has made him depressed. lol.

These trials are extremely hard. The intel mission neutralize everyone is impossible. MGS4 bike chase Big Boss rank run was easier for me than this.

This maybe the most difficult MGS yet, trying to be fully stealthy is way harder than in past games.

These trials are extremely hard. The intel mission neutralize everyone is impossible. MGS4 bike chase Big Boss rank run was easier for me than this.

This maybe the most difficult MGS yet, trying to be fully stealthy is way harder than in past games.

Dude, just get an APC or use the AA guns to fucking butcher everyone who gets in your way.

This was good.

For as streamlined the controls are (compared to MGS3, the last/only MGS I've played), there's little hand-holding. The AI notices you when it makes sense. Nothing is really automated; there are no "crawl under building" or "hide in cover"buttons. the game leaves you with a lot of control and you keep that control at all times.

I think of stealth in recent games like Deus Ex: Human Revolution where the "stealth paths" are really quite safe. There's a clearly defined path and as long as you're snapped cover, the patrolling guards won't see you. in GZ, there are still paths, but less obvious ones, sort of how I remember MGS3 to be. You've got to constantly make sure you're fully hidden and you're often vulnerable from a few angles. It's just nice to actually be sneaking through a base rather than just finding the start of an obvious "stealth path" then zip on through.

Recordings were used well since they sounded believable. Chico's tapes didn't only contain pertinent information, same with Paz's diary. Chico's tapes are full of dead air/ambient sound and the important information (sound of gate opening, flag flapping) is all stuff you have to pick up on your own. They just sound like... actual recordings; what these moments would sound like if you just hit record. Compare the recordings from other games where every one is entirely and directly tied to the main story/situation, even if they're personal diaries. Here, you get some genuine insight into Paz's character from listening to her diary entries. By having something other than her beliefs/internal conflicts being explicitly described, it paints a more complete picture of the overall story/game world.

The final cutscene being in "real time" is refreshing too. like the gameplay, they're not fragmented. i found that helped keep me in the moment and let certain scenes really sink in for me as they sunk in for the characters.

It took me two hours to complete the two main objectives. This game is proof to me that placing such importance on amount of time (particularly how much is required to complete the main campaign/storyline/objective) is pointless. Not only was a lot about those two hours great, but there's plenty of content available outside the main story. Just listening to all the (well done) recordings is interesting. $20-$30 for this is reasonable considering the quality. Really glad to get back into MGS after so long and to see that it's still good.

Zomba13

Big Boss' sneaking suit is absolutely awesome:

I wonder if they'll make a new one for Phantom Pain or just stick with the different camo colors as outfits...

I hope camo comes back. I liked it in 3, 4 and PW and seems like a step back to go to a default sneaking suit with no camo index.

ryz

Do tranquilized soldiers also vanish for you guys? Right before the admin building on the helipad i've tranqued about 6-8 guys and been dumping their bodies behind the crates, only to find them VANISHED right in the middle of the helipad, reappearing randomly again some time after.

This seriously kills some fun in a stealth game with a mechanic this paramount.

Do tranquilized soldiers also vanish for you guys? Right before the admin building on the helipad i've tranqued about 6-8 guys and been dumping their bodies behind the crates, only to find them VANISHED right in the middle of the helipad, reappearing randomly again some time after.

This seriously kills some fun in a stealth game with a mechanic this paramount.

not sure. On my way back to the non-hotzone pick-up spot
with Paz
, I had someone who I tranq'd half and hour prior wake up
over where Chico was
and start running... somewhere. I hadn't been over there for a long time, but he was still tagged when I got back and I saw his silhouette stand up and then run off. this was after some checkpoint restarts too.

I don't doubt that they might sometimes vanish though.

Top Bottom