• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes |OT| Kaz, I'm already a demo

DXPett1

I'm still surprised Kojima included that in a trailer. I didn't take him for a Garbage fan.

Definitely one of the cooler aspects of the PP trailer. SO perfect

DAT music that comes when the chopper begins to land and you have a objective completed/survivor on your shoulders. I want the soundtrack to Ground Zeroes.

It may be a glorified demo, but gosh darn it Kojima has me hooked. So much fun

Do tranquilized soldiers also vanish for you guys? Right before the admin building on the helipad i've tranqued about 6-8 guys and been dumping their bodies behind the crates, only to find them VANISHED right in the middle of the helipad, reappearing randomly again some time after.

This seriously kills some fun in a stealth game with a mechanic this paramount.

Yes, this has been happening for me as well.

Betty

Banned
So is this MGSV : THE Game, or is it the intro to Phantom Pain?

I don't fancy splashing £30 on what looks like 1 mission.

It's the prologue, so it is more or less the intro, there are 5 other side missions, but they can be completed quickly and aren't necessary to understand the story. For you I'd say wait for a price drop or something if you're not quite sure.

Think of it as Gran Turismo Prologue games...

You get a sneak peek at what the game feels like, an intro to the story before the main event and add in a few missions

StuBurns

Banned
I think it depends on if Ground Zeroes is in TPP, I won't be surprised if it is or not, but the GT5 prologue thing isn't really apt, because GT5 completely nullifies the need for it, TPP might not do that for GZ.

Some element of Ground Zeroes will have to exist in TPP even if it's only a cutscene or 2 to show the lead up. If TPP starts with the hospital scene out of nowhere many people who didnt buy GZ will be confused.

As long as the full game isnt included in TPP I wont be bothered. I already got what I wanted out of GZ and I can go back and do a quick mission run whenever I get the desire for some next gen metal gear.

Ground Zeroes is the prologue to Metal Gear Solid V. I wouldn't recommend buying this, unless you know exactly what you're getting yourself into. Value is always subjective, but a lot of gamers who aren't hardcore Metal Gear fans feel that they may not have gotten their money's worth.
I am a hardcore fan and feel that I have, already, for whatever that may be worth to you.

StuBurns

Banned
Some element of Ground Zeroes will have to exist in TPP even if it's only a cutscene or 2 to show the lead up. If TPP starts with the hospital scene out of nowhere many people who didnt buy GZ will be confused.
If that were true, there'd be Peace Walker stuff in Ground Zeroes.

Ground Zeroes throws people deep into an existing conflict and set of relationships, and assumes you've played Snake Eater and Peace Walker, and it's incredibly short, within the context of a full length game, you could easily just open cold in the hospital if they wanted.

However, considering we've seen the cutscene where they're just in the hospital before the coma, it's safe to assume TPP's opening will include at least the attack on Mother Base.

FrankWza

Ground Zeroes is the prologue to Metal Gear Solid V. I wouldn't recommend buying this, unless you know exactly what you're getting yourself into. Value is always subjective, but a lot of gamers who aren't hardcore Metal Gear fans feel that they may not have gotten their money's worth.
I am a hardcore fan and feel that I have, already, for whatever that may be worth to you.

To be fair, plenty of metal gear fans are not happy eitber. I think it depends on what you want out of MG. If you don't enjoy the S ranking and just want story and Boss fights parts you won't be happy. Edit: I should say may not be happy. The value here is the quest for S rank and different approaches and audio tapes.
If that were true, there'd be Peace Walker stuff in Ground Zeroes.

Ground Zeroes throws people deep into an existing conflict and set of relationships, and assumes you've played Snake Eater and Peace Walker, and it's incredibly short, within the context of a full length game, you could easily just open cold in the hospital if they wanted.

However, considering we've seen the cutscene where they're just in the hospital before the coma, it's safe to assume TPP's opening will include at least the attack on Mother Base.

There is a recap of PW in GZ.

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe those sequences that were
notably absent
in Ground Zeroes show up at the start of The Phantom Pain in the form of a flashback?

Spoilers:
Big Boss looking on from chopper, blood running down forehead. Later, Big Boss laying next to Kaz on a hospital bed.
I would have to think that these scenes appear in The Phantom Pain, since we have seen them at both
GDC 2013
and
E3 2013 (towards the end of the trailer)

To be fair, plenty of metal gear fans are not happy eitber. I think it depends on what you want out of MG. If you don't enjoy the S ranking and just want story and Boss fights parts you won't be happy. Edit: I should say may not be happy. The value here is the quest for S rank and different approaches and audio tapes.

Oh, yeah! For sure. Totally agree. And I am more than happy with my purchase and enjoy improving upon my rank... I made that post assuming that the other poster was not into that sort of thing. If the game's length (on the surface) doesn't bother people, I would tell them to jump right on in, because the game is excellent. :) Whether fans of the series decide to purchase this or not is ultimately up to them, but it should be played by fans in one way or another, at the very least.

eso76

having to go through the same area several times really makes you appreciate the mechanics; there's so much you can do in this game.

I am sure i won't spend as much time trying to play the game properly or taking the time to look for all the small touches and hidden things in the game when TPP hits, as usual being too eager triggering the next cutscene.

In a way i have to agree with Kojima; TPP might be too big for me, i'll end up missing most of the optional things in the game; this is the kind of gamer i've become.

At least, playing Ground Zeroes ensures i'll jump into TPP knowing the mechanics which will certainly let me enjoy the game a lot more; i've played through most of MGS2, 3 and 4 having basically no idea what i was doing and generally being a lousy Snake (always triggering alarms and going guns blazing into action).

It certainly is the most accomplished MGS in terms of gameplay, but that was expected.
There's quite a lot of content too in terms of back story, tapes etc.

FrankWza

There's a text document, yeah, but all the Metal Gears have that. I assumed he meant actual visual content from GZs.

I hear ya. Yeah, I guess that would make sense. Unless it just gets explained
after he wakes up from coma and is shown in a flashback scene.

SJRB

Gold Member
There's a text document, yeah, but all the Metal Gears have that. I assumed he meant actual visual content from GZs.

There's also the graphic novel-style recap and a truckload of Paz diary tapes.

Anyone buying MGS V and complaining about not understanding the backstory has no one to blame but themselves. Return of the Jedi didn't come with an in-depth synopsis of the series either.

Big Boss' sneaking suit is absolutely awesome:

BjeBdv_IUAA-sim.jpg:large

BjeBlwrIEAE8bnn.jpg:large

BjeASNyIYAAvPBo.jpg:large

I wonder if they'll make a new one for Phantom Pain or just stick with the different camo colors as outfits...
Eh, it looks okay, honestly I prefer the outfit he has on in the Phantom Pain trailer.

StuBurns

Banned
Bone and debris - shrapnel, according to Kojima!
I've just watched all the TPP trailers, and I really don't understand how TPP isn't going to include GZ, the trailers are filled with GZ content.

Also, before the coma in the hospital, it really doesn't look like Snake has the horn, I guess he must, because the bandage is hiding it when he wakes up, but I can't see it.

I've just watched all the TPP trailers, and I really don't understand how TPP isn't going to include GZ, the trailers are filled with GZ content.

Also, before the coma in the hospital, it really doesn't look like Snake has the horn, I guess he must, because the bandage is hiding it when he wakes up, but I can't see it.

It will probably have an opening cutscene recapping GZ, or they just put those scenes in there because the trailers so far aren't really TPP trailers, but trailers for MGSV as a whole. Also I bet they include a copy of GZ with either a TPP special edition or give a download code as a preorder bonus.

Yeah a lot of people have brought this up, nobody is quite sure when or how he gets the shrapnel in his head. The wait to "Early 2015" is gonna be hard, at least we have E3 coming soon and the game will probably have a big showing at TGS too.

Agreed! I think it will be included in the form of a pre-order bonus, first run bonus, something like that, maybe? I just don't know if it will be included on the same disc, but who knows!

Yeah, that's true. When Big Boss is looking on at
the destruction of Mother Base
and you see his face, you don't see any signs of damage other than the
blood running down his forehead
. The next bit of footage we see, in terms of the game's (likely) chronology, is the bits that take place in the hospital, where if you look closely at Big Boss' forehead, you can tell that something is underneath those bandages.
Maybe someone harmed him in his sleep?
I'm not sure, but it seems that when he arrives at the hospital with Kaz (when we see him in a bed, I should say), there is no shrapnel. It's all so hard to say right now.

It's the prologue, so it is more or less the intro, there are 5 other side missions, but they can be completed quickly and aren't necessary to understand the story. For you I'd say wait for a price drop or something if you're not quite sure.

Think of it as Gran Turismo Prologue games...

You get a sneak peek at what the game feels like, an intro to the story before the main event and add in a few missions

OK thanks. I'm going to hold out then. Maybe they'll release a SE with it included.

dc89

Big Boss' sneaking suit is absolutely awesome:

BjeBdv_IUAA-sim.jpg:large

BjeBlwrIEAE8bnn.jpg:large

BjeASNyIYAAvPBo.jpg:large

I wonder if they'll make a new one for Phantom Pain or just stick with the different camo colors as outfits...

I hope camo comes back. I liked it in 3, 4 and PW and seems like a step back to go to a default sneaking suit with no camo index.

Eh, it looks okay, honestly I prefer the outfit he has on in the Phantom Pain trailer.

In the trailer he was wearing camouflaged battle fatigues and some sort of hooded cowl, probably as protection in that sort of environment. Looked awesome.

StuBurns

Banned
The next bit of footage we see, in terms of the game's (likely) chronology, is the bits that take place in the hospital, where if you look closely at Big Boss' forehead, you can tell that something is underneath those bandages.
This is presumably the next scene chronologically.

Untitled_1.png

No horn.

eso76

nah, TPP will maybe include GZ cutscenes and certainly the ending cutscene. It has to, since the game will pick up from there and we don't even get to see how that particular scene ends

And the horn thing, Boss doesn't get it from the
helicopter crash
at the end of GZ, we've seen BB with a
burnt face
but no horn after that.

spoilers for GZ
I'm pretty sure I saw the shrapnel in his head as the Helicopter went down... looking at the TTP trailers, I think I see the horn just near the end of the reviving Big Boss clip (just before Kaz says "what about him?"), but it's hard to tell because of the way the scene is lit and the low bitrate of internet video.

edit: looking at the picture you posted it looks like either there's a horn there or it's just strands of his hair, but again hard to tell. Also the horn could be hidden underneath the hair.

edit 2:
Rewatched the Ground Zeroes ending on Youtube and looks like theres a scar where the horn should be, not a full blown horn in the last shot of Big Boss' face

eso76

spoilers for GZ
I'm pretty sure I saw the shrapnel in his head as the Helicopter went down... looking at the TTP trailers, I think I see the horn just near the end of the reviving Big Boss clip (just before Kaz says "what about him?"), but it's hard to tell because of the way the scene is lit and the low bitrate of internet video.

edit: looking at the picture you posted it looks like either there's a horn there or it's just strands of his hair, but again hard to tell. Also the horn could be hidden underneath the hair.

nah, the horn would be clearly visible.
He presumably gets it in the same 'accident' that costs him his left arm.
The horn is there under the bandages in the first TPP trailer when he wakes up with an arm missing.

OT, i remember seeing a trailer where we can see BB riding a motorbike (starting it at least) wearing a leather jacket. Which one is it ? can't find it anymore.

FrankWza

That's what's so confusing, though! You can see something (where his horn would be) under the bandages!! I need answers, damn it.

yeah i edited my post as you were posting. youre right, there is something but it doesnt protrude like the horn. unless snake turns into the last guardian somehow it has to be during the hospital escape/evac.

yeah i edited my post as you were posting. youre right, there is something but it doesnt protrude like the horn. unless snake turns into the last guardian somehow it has to be during the hospital escape/evac.

Ah, sorry! Just now seeing it. Ha! Yeah, good question. I hope that the upcoming trailers reveal a little more about it. It was revealed in the GDC trailer and ask ourselves "Whoa! How'd that get there, Snake?", but we see it clear as day throughout the E3 trailer and have no idea as to how or why it's there. Then again, maybe he wants us to see it in trailers and previews and find out for ourselves when the time comes?

eso76

It's the last scene in the GDC trailer.

yup, it was just posted : \

That's what's so confusing, though! You can see something (where his horn would be) under the bandages!! I need answers, damn it.

the horn IS there under the bandages, that's exactly why his head is bandaged i would guess.

Same accident in which he loses his arm then

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Bought this for £20, I'm part of the problem.
Tbf I've been playing this since Thursday, last night I played from 5pm-1:20am just doing 2 mission
The gameplay is there to get £20 worth out of it
The game does remind me of MGS1 and MGS2 in that respect
Just imagine how many hours you'll get out the full game

Salaadin

Tbf I've been playing this since Thursday, last night I played from 5pm-1:20am just doing 2 mission
The gameplay is there to get £20 worth out of it
The game does remind me of MGS1 and MGS2 in that respect
Just imagine how many hours you'll get out the full game

I wonder if TPP is going to have side ops and extra ops

jsnepo

He'll get the horn during the hospital attack. One of the nurses treats both Ishmael and Big Boss that's why they still got bandages. If you watch the GDC gameplay demonstration, Ishmael refers to the nurse and her sacrifice (she died).

This is what I think happens.

* GZ ending
* TPP starts with the operating room in the hospital with Kaz and Big Boss without the horn.
* Big Boss wakes up after a nine year coma.
* Hospital is attacked injuring both Snake and Ishmael and gets treated by a random nurse who then died.
* Both men escape but Ishmael died in the car crash.
* Mantis/Ocelot rescues Snake.
* Big Boss goes underground to recover.
* Big Boss goes to Afghanistan to rescue Kaz.
* Big Boss and Kaz establishes Diamond Dogs.

He'll get the horn during the hospital attack. One of the nurses treats both Ishmael and Big Boss that's why they still got bandages. If you watch the GDC gameplay demonstration, Ishmael refers to the nurse and her sacrifice (she died).

This is what I think happens.

* GZ ending
* TPP starts with the operating room in the hospital with Kaz and Big Boss without the horn.
* Big Boss wakes up after a nine year coma.
* Hospital is attacked injuring both Snake and Ishmael and gets treated by a random nurse who then died.
* Both men escape but Ishmael died in the car crash.
* Mantis/Ocelot rescues Snake.
* Big Boss goes underground to recover.
* Big Boss goes to Afghanistan to rescue Kaz.
* Big Boss and Kaz establishes Diamond Dogs.

Good points! I think a lot of that is highly possible. The last bit, however, I am going to have to suggest that Diamond Dogs has already been established, as Big Boss is wearing camo with a Diamond Dogs patch that can be spotted on the his left sleeve during the time he ventures out to save Kaz.

mgs_07.jpg

Sorry for the low-quality image!

FrankWza

Ah, sorry! Just now seeing it. Ha! Yeah, good question. I hope that the upcoming trailers reveal a little more about it. It was revealed in the GDC trailer and ask ourselves "Whoa! How'd that get there, Snake?", but we see it clear as day throughout the E3 trailer and have no idea as to how or why it's there. Then again, maybe he wants us to see it in trailers and previews and find out for ourselves when the time comes?

I wonder if TPP is going to have side ops and extra ops
im think it will

agreed

There's a lump on his head there, consistent with where the horn would be. Maybe the "shrapnel"...... grows out of him?

look at this video at 5:26 compare that to the pic you posted. its not even close to the same size.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xw5t45tEPWQ

nah, TPP will maybe include GZ cutscenes and certainly the ending cutscene. It has to, since the game will pick up from there and we don't even get to see how that particular scene ends

And the horn thing, Boss doesn't get it from the
helicopter crash
at the end of GZ, we've seen BB with a
burnt face
but no horn after that.
YeAh the blackout scenes have to be there in video form.

Top Bottom