• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes |OT| Kaz, I'm already a demo

Ephemeris

Something funny happened to me during the first side mission. I decided to
capture the targets
and placed them in the back of a jeep. Triggered an alarm but kept driving. Turned, drove off a very short cliff,
accidentally killing the two targets in the backseat
which of course means instant-checkpoint/mission complete.

Finished the mission and had
zero kills. Looks like them dying in the back of the jeep doesn't count as me actually killing them.

I have put in 10 plus hours and am only at 29% complete. The game is simply amazing. There are so many ways to play the different missions. I spent like 3 hours just trying to tag everyone in the second mission. I haven't even started with doing speed runs, or haven't tried hard mode yet.

I was watching your broadcast yesterday too Lol

I even tried my hand at it, and gave up when I couldn't find the VERY. LAST. MAN.

Spent so much time looking for him that I ended the mission with minus points (due to alarms, kills etc)

jsnepo

Good points! I think a lot of that is highly possible. The last bit, however, I am going to have to suggest that Diamond Dogs has already been established, as Big Boss is wearing camo with a Diamond Dogs patch that can be spotted on the his left sleeve during the time he ventures out to save Kaz.

http://gamersnewsnetwork.files.wordpress.com/2013/06/mgs_07.jpg

Sorry for the low-quality image!

Oh yeah. That works because there is a cutscene where Big Boss is assisting Kaz with some mercs with them. The scene is apparently after Kaz is rescued since he is already missing an arm and foot.

I dunno guys, Ground Zeroes was fun to play around in but I come to MGS games for the hammy overblown dramatic nonsense, not to s-rank speed runs and shit like that. I gotta say this has left me wanting.

Still, good for y'all.

I just want something that's fun to play and provides me with a lot of options; I stopped caring about the story after MGS4 ruined it.

No the one where you are stuck in the helicopter and if you miss ONE dude as your helicopter flies over everyone you fail the trial.

Use the grenade launcher, it's much easier than trying to shoot everyone.

I hope camo comes back. I liked it in 3, 4 and PW and seems like a step back to go to a default sneaking suit with no camo index.

I hope it's like Peace Walker, where before the mission starts, we can choose between: sneaking suits; BDU's with different camo patterns; and heavy combat gear. I really liked that about PW; I felt it was much better than MGS3's closet-in-a-backpack.

Do tranquilized soldiers also vanish for you guys? Right before the admin building on the helipad i've tranqued about 6-8 guys and been dumping their bodies behind the crates, only to find them VANISHED right in the middle of the helipad, reappearing randomly again some time after.

This seriously kills some fun in a stealth game with a mechanic this paramount.

Yeah, if you put too many KO'd guys near each other they'll start to vanish, but they'll still appear on your map. I extracted every guard from the GZ mission and when I started piling up more than 4 guys, they started vanishing; so I loaded the visible onto the chopper, ran about 50ft away and when I turned back, they reappeared.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
so... now that the dust has cleared, how do people feel about the value of the game compared to the price point they paid?

i spent £23 on the ps3 version, and i've gotten a lot of time out of it. however, a lot of the time i've gotten out of it is down to trials and perfecting runs to get s ranks. i wouldn't dream of doing stuff like that immediately after completing a game, i'd give it a little while before i started a 100% run. it's left me wanting more but in the worst possible way.

i'm not particularly pleased with the unlockables either. it's nice having a few playthings to mess around with in the mission but on the whole i feel a little underwhelmed by the rewards for spending so much effort on getting it just right.

that said, the gameplay is incredibly solid and really the best playing mgs game to date in my eyes. it feels like a true realisation of an infiltration game. the camera can get a little too close with tight spaces, and getting used to the less sensitive movement speed compared to how you're pressing on the stick is a little jarring if you're coming off an older mgs game. other than that though, i don't really have any complaints. even the driving is quite good and rooted in realistic handling.

i don't feel cheated, but i just want more.

i just want to see the phantom pain released within a year to a year and a half now. i'm done with the starter, i want the main course.

Been thinking about this a bunch over the weekend.

Firstly, I have played about 7 hours so far and plan on playing more, so I think it's a decent value proposition for £20 (PS3 digital). I'm not a big MGS-head either, I first played the whole series in one fevered month last year so I would call myself enthusiastic but not exactly hardcore. Certainly not to the point of doing multiple runs or caring about rankings anyway.

So all that said, I've been having a blast with this. It feels like it's teaching me not just how to play MGS, but how to exploit it and become comfortable with it. In fact, it's making me want to go back to the old games again to see how much I missed (either content or style-wise) because the options I have in MGSV are very exciting and make for great non-scripted play.

I also dig the side ops. Sure they're perhaps a little lazy from KojiPro's side but they are a fun way of experimenting with mechanics and really wringing every last drop of entertainment from a very small area.

In fact, I would enjoy it if they would release one of these areas every couple of months for us to wring dry before moving onto the next location. It would be fun.

Only thing lacking from the game was the trademark ridiculous anime bullshit. They were a bit too serious here. MGS isn't MGS unless I'm rolling my eyes and laughing at terrible dialogue and sexism.

kubus

Arghhhh

Still can't get S-Rank on Ground Zeroes normal.

My time is 08:32 so this gives me around 39k points for the time alone, but I keep triggering an alarm just when I'm about to extract Paz and finish the mission. Keep forgetting to tranq one dude that spots me. Still, that single raised alarm only gives me a -300 penalty. Didn't kill anyone, but I kinda abused Reflex Mode a lot...

Will try my strategy again with extracting the other prisoners as well, that should give me quite a boost.

FrankWza

Arghhhh

My time is 08:32 so this gives me around 39k points for the time alone, but I keep triggering an alarm just when I'm about to extract Paz and finish the mission. Keep forgetting to tranq one dude that spots me. Still, that single raised alarm only gives me a -300 penalty. Didn't kill anyone, but I kinda abused Reflex Mode a lot...

Will try my strategy again with extracting the other prisoners as well, that should give me quite a boost.

It's the reflex.

Spaghetti

regarding the horn not being in the gdc trailer showing big boss laid out on a stretcher, i think it's possible that the model with the horn wasn't finished yet.

the big boss model at the end of the gdc trailer is just a slightly altered ground zeroes model. in fact, from gdc to e3 the horn changed size and shape just a little bit, it was much bigger and more pronounced in the gdc trailer.

Chairhome

Arghhhh

Extracting all the prisoners is what gave me my boost. I also had no reflex though, also. My first completion on normal was about 52 min, no kills, 4 retries, no reflex, and all prisoners extracted. One thing that also helps is extracting
the escaped prisoner
(which I didn't do on my first play. I think you get 3500 just for that.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I think the real problem here is that the core game is very short. You can beat Ground Zeroes+ all extra ops with 1 hour and thirty, on your first try.

For some people perhaps. It took me 90 mins just to do GZ my first try, so it's not exactly applicable all across the board. You are obviously an MGS hardcore, don't judge everyone by your incredible standards.

Buntabox

We might not find out till late in the game how he got the horn. I believe Kojima said the circumstances of how he fell into a coma will be a mystery for the player. (Can't remember where I saw this.). Which makes it sound like it's not specifically just the chopper crash.

Betty

Banned
We might not find out till late in the game how he got the horn. I believe Kojima said the circumstances of how he fell into a coma will be a mystery for the player. (Can't remember where I saw this.). Which makes it sound like it's not specifically just the chopper crash.

I just figured it was from the
knock he took to the back of the head
inside the chopper, sounded pretty nasty.

kubus

It's the reflex.
Extracting all the prisoners is what gave me my boost. I also had no reflex though, also. My first completion on normal was about 52 min, no kills, 4 retries, no reflex, and all prisoners extracted. One thing that also helps is extracting
the escaped prisoner
(which I didn't do on my first play. I think you get 3500 just for that.

Yeah, just tried again with extracting all the prisoners (except for
the escaped one
) and that gave me a 21000 boost. More than enough to get me a S-Rank! Had to restart a checkpoint twice because I was dumb, but didn't forget to tranq the last guy this time, so no alarms raised.

My time was 16:15 now so almost double my previous time, but there's only a 2000 point difference. Apparently time doesn't weight that much in determining the rank.

Think I'll try Hard now... Oh boy.

That stat is kind of misleading; the -300 only means you went that much below 0, you actually get around 5000 (I think) for not raising an alarm, so you really lost ~5300 or so.
Wow, now that you mention it! I just got 5250 points for no alarms. Had no idea it counted that harshly!

Arghhhh

... Still, that single raised alarm only gives me a -300 penalty. Didn't kill anyone, but I kinda abused Reflex Mode a lot...

That stat is kind of misleading; the -300 only means you went that much below 0, you actually get around 5000 (I think) for not raising an alarm, so you really lost ~5300 or so.

Arghhhh

If I'm trying to S rank a mission I will always turn reflex off to get the extra points.

Spaghetti

I just figured it was from the
knock he took to the back of the head
inside the chopper, sounded pretty nasty.
i think the coma was
because he went into cardiac arrest in the hospital

actually, here's a thought about the older phantom pain trailers where you
hear the breathing apparatus when big boss is waking up

if you're in a coma and have to be put on those kinds of life support machines your organs start to shut down because they're not functioning/cannot function because of the life support taking over the jobs of those organs. so if big boss was on some kind of breathing machine it'd be medically inaccurate if he was on it for the entire duration of the nine years without multiple organ failure

that said, i'm no doctor. not even a med student, this is just based off anecdotal evidence.

Betty

Banned
i think the coma was
because he went into cardiac arrest in the hospital

I couldn't say either,
but even if organ failure is realistic
, I'd understand why Kojima wouldn't bother to maintain that for story purposes.

Does anyone else miss the camo system?

Not me, having different uniforms is fun and all, but it was a chore to change constantly. At least hiding in grass/bushes still affects enemies from seeing you as clearly.

Spaghetti

Not me, having different uniforms is fun and all, but it was a chore to change constantly. At least hiding in grass/bushes still affects enemies from seeing you as clearly.
totally agree with this. mgs4 did fix the menu issue by making camo adaptive to whatever surface you were pressed against, but mgsv's stealth system of staying in the shadows, keeping low, and using your environment to hide yourself/cause diversions is way better and much less a binary state of being stealthy or not.

someone described it in a preview as a common sense approach to stealth, and that's totally accurate. applying real world rules to stealth rather than game rules.

fbgamer

Banned
Or maybe it isn't bad writing, and is just being purposefully over-the-top and cheesy.

Y'know like:
The part when you're fighting mechs
The part where it seems as if someone is being taken over because someone has another person's arm.
The part where weird shit is simply explained by nanomachines.
The part where Meryl marries a Joke character from MGS 1.
The part, (also known as entire games,) where the entire plot is just an over-dramatic/hyperboled version of popular spy movies.
The part where Psycho Mantis tells you you've been playing a certain game.
The part where Snake talks about his obsession with cardboard boxes in MGS 3.
The part where Raikov is named after Raiden, with many jokes at his usage in MGS 2.
The part where a guard pisses off the top of a cell as you move along in MGS 2.
The part where you fight fucking Fatman.
The fact that MGS is self-aware of its stupidity from MGS 2 onward.

And this is just a "few quips" of the many ways in which the game is blatantly doing something over the top or hilarious.

Edit: And why would Kojima say he's pushing for MGS 5 to be "serious" if it was already "serious" in the first place?

When you're fighting mech's is purposely over the top? What? So Kojima put that in there to be funny? Metal Gear is put into a series called Metal Gear Solid because Hideo Kojima meant it to be cheesey? No.

About the arm, that was Ocelot's intentions which is also a part of bad writing. LOL I WAS TRYING TO TRICK YOU INTO THINKING I WAS YOUR BROTHER.
His voice was even altered in MGS2.... purposely cheesy?

Explained by nanomachines... BAD WRITING. That wasn't on puprose. Kojima isn't in the business of making comedy titles. MGS is serious to him (with some comic relief thrown in)

You forget this is a game from Japan. It's very japanese. What might look like "purposely cheesey" to you is probably japanese people trying to appease the Western audience.

Get a sense

Spaghetti

That's gotta be some good numbers! I hope that means some more money can be put into development for TPP and MGO.
the last thing mgsv needs is more money pumped into it.

ground zeroes is a product of needing a more immediate recoup on budget than simply waiting until 2015 for the phantom pain to release.

Buntabox

Re-listening to all of Paz's Peace Walker tapes. Forgot how the one with Strangelove and lotion...... Wow.

The tapes from PW are mostly really good stuff. Some writing in there that you don't expect to hear in a lot of video games. Much less the Metal Gear universe. For instance, the
soccer match at Mother Base
. A few just stand out as getting into some pervy territory. No worse than the
Date Mission
, I suppose.

I hope the tapes carry over into TPP. I love finding them and getting extra snippets into the world. It's becoming one of my favorite side elements of the series.

Protag

Banned
At the time, my favorite sneaking suit was the USSR snake eater era SS.

But then PW happened and the msf SS became my favorite. Plus, that shield

And overall it just looks the coolest.

Second fave is the mgs1 SS

Jawmuncher

Is the sneaking suit overpowered in Ground Zeroes.
Just about to wrap up Peace Walker again and forgot how OP the sneaking suit is in this.

the tank is INHUMAN, just destroy it :D

If you hold up guards and tell them to lay down on the ground, they never get up. Like ever, they will die of old age.

I feel like I never killed anyone in some of these missions and the only kill I have is the tank. It shows 1 kill at the end.

Thats how the hold up works in PW, its basically a neutralize move. its working exactly how the game intends it to work.

I feel like I never killed anyone in some of these missions and the only kill I have is the tank. It shows 1 kill at the end.

Thats how the hold up works in PW, its basically a neutralize move. its working exactly how the game intends it to work.

yeah i guess but we harken back to MGS2/3 days when holding up guards for too long or letting them stay down they would try something and get up etc.

as this game is even more "realistic" than games before with the guards AI this logic seems silly.

Sami+

Yeah, it's way op. I wish guards would get back up at some point.

I dunno if I'd like that, personally. The way it is, you have to carefully sneak up behind a guard without being seen by anyone else, which is difficult enough as is. A non-lethal equivalent to killing him is a nice reward for taking that effort, and even then it isn't perfect.

I dunno if I'd like that, personally. The way it is, you have to carefully sneak up behind a guard without being seen by anyone else, which is difficult enough as is. A non-lethal equivalent to killing him is a nice reward for taking that effort, and even then it isn't perfect.

well why not just have the knock-out beatdown be infinite knockdown state instead of 30 minutes? :p

rvy

Banned

Nah, it's broken. Sneaking up on guards is hardly difficult once you get to know their routes and the level well enough. It was broken in MGS 3, it's broken now. They shouldn't lie on the ground indefinitely. Especially not on Hard.

Alienous

Has there been any additional news on the Oddworld devs who wanted to do the MGS1 remake?

They're in good hands with Lorne Lanning. Probably very busy too.

I'd like to see KojiPro LA tackle a MG1&MG2 remake on the FOX Engine after they're done with MGO.

Warewolf

If you hold up guards and tell them to lay down on the ground, they never get up. Like ever, they will die of old age.

On two separate occasions I have had a "subdued" guard become active again. One re-activated during an alert and the second was discovered by another patrolman, woken up and instigated an alert phase.

Always put them to sleep, just to be sure.

Top Bottom