• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes |OT| Kaz, I'm already a demo

RedAssedApe

Banned
Sorry guys. This Kojima's last MG game. He promised me this time! (hehe)

Oh and I cracked the hell up in the side-ops where you have to
rescue kojima

I remember on one play-through I had the guy on my back and one of the enemies somehow got a headshot on him while I was trying to run away...lol

Lol
4vroTri.jpg

kmax

People are really hellbent on this remake business. Kojima has said he has no interest in it and that if remakes were to happen they would be outsourced.

Well, it wouldn't make a lot of sense to end it with TPP, considering that Big Boss tale doesn't end there, and the fact that Kojima stated that he's not done with Solid Snake.

Point is, you never know with Kojima. He's a master at deception.

Spaghetti

We don't really know. The original Ground Zeroes trailer said "SNAKE IS BACK IN FOX" and that was it, nothing else was said or anything.

It's probably just for Kojima to show "oh look how the contrast of FOX and XOF is!" and nothing else. I doubt he's working in the government (it was the CIA, right?) again, rather than just accepting to do for them certain things.

I hope to be wrong, because it would be so awesome.
actually it said "snake is back on fox", basically a reference to the fox engine rather than the fox unit.

FrankWza

Actually, last time I heard an MGS remake was the thing mentioned.

Well, it wouldn't make a lot of sense to end it with TPP, considering that Big Boss tale doesn't end there, and the fact that Kojima stated that he's not done with Solid Snake.

Plus Fox Engine and PS4 power. He's like a kid in a candy store right now.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Kojima said he isnt done with solid also, so hes either going to make an apperance in TPP, or the remakes for MG, which NEEDS to happen

And then a fox engine remake of MGS1.

The he moves onto new ips

Ha! Good one.

RaijinFY

Konami is literally nothing worth outside MGS and PES... It's pretty obvious that if MGS5 is successful (critics and sales), then the next big MGS game will come next.

Hasney

Playing Deja Vu on hard because I need my quiz after acing the normal one dammit! God the eyesight of the guards is improved and much better reactions than "Uh, I was just staring at some suspicious guy crawling for 3 minutes... Best check it out"

RedAssedApe

Banned
One of the side-missions had really overcast/gray sky weather. Game looked really bland under those conditions.

I guess that is supposed to be realistic? but man does certain lighting conditions do wonders for the look of the game.

Alienous

Konami is literally nothing worth outside MGS and PES... It's pretty obvious that if MGS5 is successful (critics and sales), then the next big MGS game will come next.

There'll always be Metal Gear. Heck, Konami built an entire development studio for the multiplayer portion of MGSV.

The key is if Kojima and Metal Gear Solid can go their seperate ways. Kojima put momentum behind the Castlevania reboot, even though (according to the devs) he only popped up on occasion and looked at art assets. They should have KojiPro handle MGS without Kojima, and have Kojima try his hand at any of the other dead IP they have (such as Silent Hill).

Solid = David

Liquid = (possibly) Eli

Solidus = George.

David E Goerge aka John (Big Boss) Wilkes Booth. The guy who assassinated Abraham Lincoln.

WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO SAY KOJIMA???

FrankWza

There'll always be Metal Gear. Heck, Konami built an entire development studio for the multiplayer portion of MGSV.

The key is if Kojima and Metal Gear Solid can go their seperate ways. Kojima put momentum behind the Castlevania reboot, even though (according to the devs) he only popped up on occasion and looked at art assets. They should have KojiPro handle MGS without Kojima, and have Kojima try his hand at any of the other dead IP they have (such as Silent Hill).

He's what,50? I think he'll cover the nes games with a remake on Fox engine, zoe 3, and either a new IP or as crazy as it sounds try to direct a movie.

Mask

This game is amazing!

I was playing the Renegade Threat side op, and I pulled a trick on the bald guy. I put a sleeping guard in the road, waited for him to drive around towards him, then tranqed both him and the other guard when they got out of the jeep.

Now I'm trying to think of even more ways I can create distractions in the main mission.

1. The cover system needs to be tighter if it's automatic. Snake really needs to hug corners better. There have been enough times where I was behind a crate or something, facing right while an enemy would be approaching on the left, very lightly tapping left so Snake would turn around so I could CQC once they were close enough, but even the light tap sent him far enough beyond the edge of cover to alert the enemy.

Totally agree!

Plus, the default animation where Snake is at the very furthest point of a crate or wall, actually has his knee and arm sticking out (yet not visible to the enemies). It looks stupid.

I'd prefer the old locked animation where if you kept pushing left or right, you wouldn't be released from cover. While just about every new addition or improvement is better in this game, that is one place where the old gameplay worked better.

foxtrot3d

Banned
I did two error on my video nearby:

the first time I was a bit on the right, and a guard saw me, and basically this screwed my tactic, so I restarted the level and S ranked it.

The second level on DejaVu, I was trying to beat it with reflex mode off, but it's hard because basically you have no weapons here and you can't put to sleep guards, so you must cqc them.
I restarted with reflex mode on, but man,EVERY time in some ways I screw my play thanks to that damned chaff granade.

Is very easy to be spotted here, because you must time perfectly your run and then push DOWN after the cutscene ends, but i was pushing UP,lol. I B ranked this anyway, but I miss a lot of flashback (Liquid, chopper,camera, moai head, Paz zone one).

The best I did here is A rank, because I reloaded two checkpoint. But there's a trick, I think, in fact you can reload the chaff granade checkpoint and you should be undetected, but I wanna beat this without trick. I need more practice here, but the only hard section of DejaVu is the chaff one, the other are very easy and if I manage to do that properly, I'll S rank this too.

It's easy to get the chaff grenade if you knock out the two guards operating the searchlights, just go into the admin building climb up the ladder, and either choke em out or hold them up with a weapon to get them to lay down. Now, you can grab the grenade without worrying about being seen.

I'd rather it not be that dominant on screen. I'm enjoying no hud. I'd rather use

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FLLFGO8/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I dont need it to be taking over the screen, I just want something like it back in some form.

Right now Snake is only talking to Miller, so L1 button works fine. But what about when you have multiple contacts? How would you select who you want to call?

Keep L1 as a sort of quick-talk button with voice coming in without a HUD, but put the full-featured Codec on the iDroid. Have the iDroid screen display a traditional codec screen, but have the audio continue even if the iDroid is put away (sort of like the tapes and music).

Good compromise? Perhaps something like this? (Forgive the crude mockup)

yJ0gsiQ.jpg

While we're at it, the idroid should look more dead-spacey (as one user here put it) like this earlier mockup I made, which was used as the basis of the codec picture.

Alienous

I dont need it to be taking over the screen, I just want something like it back in some form.

Right now Snake is only talking to Miller, so L1 button works fine. But what about when you have multiple contacts? How would you select who you want to call?

Keep L1 as a sort of quick-talk button with voice coming in without a HUD, but put the full-featured Codec on the iDroid. Have the iDroid screen display a traditional codec screen, but have the audio continue even if the iDroid is put away (sort of like the tapes and music).

Good compromise? Perhaps something like this? (Forgive the crude mockup)

yJ0gsiQ.jpg

While we're at it, the idroid should look more dead-spacey (as one user here put it) like this earlier mockup I made, which was used as the basis of the codec picture.

Yeah, that's just as good as your other mock-up. That's actually a really cool way to display a codec message. I don't get why you'd put such a futuristic device, then resort to your HUD being so ... normal.

Kojima should see this.

Griss

Can anyone explain the CQC controls? I've played about 6-8 hours and still don't get them.

Sometimes you give a flurry of strikes, sometimes you flip someone and slam them into the ground, other times you bash them into scenery and finally if you hold it you'll typically grab them. What's the difference when all of these things happen with R2?

foxtrot3d

Banned
So how does everyone feel about what seems like the elimination of the codec? MGS4 saw the departure of the codec as a primary narrative device and Peace Walker pretty much eliminated it, MGSV seems to be following in PW's footsteps and getting rid of it altogether in replace of cassette tapes.

I don't exactly like this method, while it is nice to have all these conversations neatly organized and labeled for easy listening pleasure it takes something out of the experience by having it fed to you so openly and outside of the contextual situation. I wanna hear about the ecology behind a specific plant right when I'm looking at it or just captured it now later when I've finished a mission and am at a menu screen. I wanna hear Snake and Kaz talk about a particular boss right when I am facing it now afterwards when all the tension is gone.

How do you all feel?

Dunk#7

This may be a very minor point, but does anybody else really enjoy running in the game?

There is a real sense of speed, and it feels great.

Hasney

Goddamn, trying to S hard now, picked cyborg ninja and because i know the mission now, was running it.

Gray Fox's running is a lot louder!

rvy

Banned
Can anyone explain the CQC controls? I've played about 6-8 hours and still don't get them.

Sometimes you give a flurry of strikes, sometimes you flip someone and slam them into the ground, other times you bash them into scenery and finally if you hold it you'll typically grab them. What's the difference when all of these things happen with R2?

Press R2 a number of times without directional inputs - Multiple hits.
Press R2 and hold - Grab.
Press R2 and push a direction with the analog stick - Throw your opponent in that direction.
Press R2 and hold L2 - Enemy disarm.

Griss

So how does everyone feel about what seems like the elimination of the codec? MGS4 saw the departure of the codec as a primary narrative device and Peace Walker pretty much eliminated it, MGSV seems to be following in PW's footsteps and getting rid of it altogether in replace of cassette tapes.

I don't exactly like this method, while it is nice to have all these conversations neatly organized and labeled for easy listening pleasure it takes something out of the experience by having it fed to you so openly and outside of the contextual situation. I wanna hear about the ecology behind a specific plant right when I'm looking at it or just captured it now later when I've finished a mission and am at a menu screen. I wanna hear Snake and Kaz talk about a particular boss right when I am facing it now afterwards when all the tension is gone.

How do you all feel?

The removal of the codec is good, as it forces Kojima to self edit. What isn't good is having roughly half of that exposition now given by Kaz as you play the game. If that's the alternative, then I'd almost rather sit through a 2 minute codec. In the full game I'm sure this won't be as much of a problem, though.

foxtrot3d

Banned
The removal of the codec is good, as it forces Kojima to self edit. What isn't good is having roughly half of that exposition now given by Kaz as you play the game. If that's the alternative, then I'd almost rather sit through a 2 minute codec. In the full game I'm sure this won't be as much of a problem, though.

The removal of too many mandatory narrative codec calls is fine, but I wan to be able to call Kaz and my support team anytime I want and listen to them talk about whatever. MGS4 basically did this.

SJRB

Gold Member

How do you all feel?

I have no doubt the radio will return in Phantom Pain. It made no sense to have it in Ground Zeroes since everyone from the support staff was either away from Mother Base [Strangelove, Amanda, Cecile, Chico and Paz obviously] or busy preparing for the inspection [Huey]. Ultimately the codec/radio is an inherent part of the series' DNA for character development, exposition, plot points or otherwise random "downtime". Of course MGS4 already pretty much butchered the codec, but I hope it will return in full glory.

Can you imagine having Ocelot's radio frequency in Phantom Pain? That would be amazing.

Alienous

There's a lot of optional exposition, what codecs mostly were, but it's now just radio tapes. So you'll have to search for something that fits the context of your situation (i.e. Look for a tape talking about driving vehicles rather than jumping into a vehicle and calling Kaz). It's hardly more efficient.

Dunk#7

Also, the enemies are a lot more aggressive and persistent than in previous installments in the series. Things seem to be less predictable, and I love the toughness of the game.

Completed it in about 55 min last night on the first playthrough, but just kind of luckily stumbled across
Paz
trying to run away from fire.

Timeaisis

How do you all feel?

I like the idea of the new codec, but it's lacking in breadth. Like you said, I want to know all these things in the moment. I love the "quick tap" thing with L1 to quickly talk to Miller. I think that's great. But I also think they need to go back to the old-school codec for some things that can give lots more exposition. What GZ was lacking, I felt, was exposition during the mission. There wasn't much at all. Sure, you could listen to tapes, but it's hard when they are not directly regarding what's going on at the moment. It'd be much better for the story if Miller came in your ear more, or you could ask him about things as you go (as you kind of do now, but to a much lesser extent).

I guess what I'm saying is while I enjoy the implementation of the easy-to-use, unobstrusive codec in GZ, I wish the old codec with all it's breadth came back. I'd want some compromise.

BBboy20

How do you all feel?
Did Kojima say lengthy radio conversations won't be returning at all? Made sense in a portable game but then implementing portable stuff to a console game and having it be the focus then an aid doesn't look good. I suppose quick chats at real-time at a press of a button to just to be reminded or be informed on what you have to do or get help is fine but the fact there is no in-depth communications when the player wants to get involved with is troubling. Be really screwed up if Rising 2 keeps that tradition around.

SJRB

Gold Member
Also, the enemies are a lot more aggressive and persistent than in previous installments in the series. Things seem to be less predictable, and I love the toughness of the game.

Completed it in about 55 min last night on the first playthrough, but just kind of luckily stumbled across
Paz
trying to run away from fire.

Their search patterns are pretty amazing. They tactically cleared the area I was hiding, moved back and naturally I thought I was safe. But then they did another, more thorough sweep and actually found me.

It was very interesting to see.

I have no doubt the radio will return in Phantom Pain. It made no sense to have it in Ground Zeroes since everyone from the support staff was either away from Mother Base [Strangelove, Amanda, Cecile, Chico and Paz obviously] or busy preparing for the inspection [Huey]. Ultimately the codec/radio is an inherent part of the series' DNA for character development, exposition, plot points or otherwise random "downtime". Of course MGS4 already pretty much butchered the codec, but I hope it will return in full glory.

Can you imagine having Ocelot's radio frequency in Phantom Pain? That would be amazing.

But "Codec" was handled the same way in Peace Walker. Just press L1 or L to get a blip of information from Support, and this time you contextualize it by looking deliberately at something with your binoculars first.

It's too soon to say definitively whether codec as we knew it from MGS1~4 is gone, and we haven't seen any Phantom Pain footage that fiddles with stuff outside of the action they've shown us, but Ground Zeroes keeping the Peace Walker style of quick calls and leaving exposition to audio logs kinda makes me wonder.

Dunk#7

Has it been indicated that the GZ controls will match PP? It would be nice knowing that you are training and perfecting skills for the next game.

AKyemeni

But "Codec" was handled the same way in Peace Walker. Just press L1 or L to get a blip of information from Support, and this time you contextualize it by looking deliberately at something with your binoculars first.

It's too soon to say definitively whether codec as we knew it from MGS1~4 is gone, and we haven't seen any Phantom Pain footage that fiddles with stuff outside of the action they've shown us, but Ground Zeroes keeping the Peace Walker style of quick calls and leaving exposition to audio logs kinda makes me wonder.

I can't read this with a straight face anymore.

Thanks Kojima

abrack08

I like the idea of the new codec, but it's lacking in breadth. Like you said, I want to know all these things in the moment. I love the "quick tap" thing with L1 to quickly talk to Miller. I think that's great. But I also think they need to go back to the old-school codec for some things that can give lots more exposition. What GZ was lacking, I felt, was exposition during the mission. There wasn't much at all. Sure, you could listen to tapes, but it's hard when they are not directly regarding what's going on at the moment. It'd be much better for the story if Miller came in your ear more, or you could ask him about things as you go (as you kind of do now, but to a much lesser extent).

I guess what I'm saying is while I enjoy the implementation of the easy-to-use, unobstrusive codec in GZ, I wish the old codec with all it's breadth came back. I'd want some compromise.

Phrasing, boom!

Yeah the lack of codec recently (pretty much entirely absent in Peace Walker and borderline useless in MGS4) has been a little disappointing, but out of all the Meat Gear-y things, that's probably the one I'm most willing to give up. It doesn't make sense to sit and talk about movies in the middle of a mission, or stand around and talk about a boss while they're trying to kill you. I don't dislike it, but I won't be crushed if it's gone.

Thanks Kojima
I keep seeing people bring up this line, do they just not like the way it's delivered? I feel like it's at least a somewhat common phrase, not sure why it's sticking out so much.

Alienous

Thanks Kojima

I hope we get to name the next Metal Gear.

Metal Gear FIDDLE.

I keep seeing people bring up this line, do they just not like the way it's delivered? I feel like it's at least a somewhat common phrase, not sure why it's sticking out so much.

It turns out it's impossible to deliver that line with an angry tone. And Atkin Downes doesn't commit to it, and stretches out "fiddle" instead of going louder. So it ends up sounding weird.

Spaghetti

The removal of too many mandatory narrative codec calls is fine, but I wan to be able to call Kaz and my support team anytime I want and listen to them talk about whatever. MGS4 basically did this.
thing is, you need to sit and wait through numerous generic conversations about the mission and game mechanics before you get any good dialogue

relegating them to tapes means you don't have to fish to get those moments.

Alienous

thing is, you need to sit and wait through numerous generic conversations about the mission and game mechanics before you get any good dialogue

relegating them to tapes means you don't have to fish to get those moments.

Relegating them to tapes means you have to seek them out. Instead of pulling out a tranq gun and calling Kaz, I assume you'll have to look into your tape archive and fine the one about that weapon, or that item, or that vehicle, or that scenario.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
Excuse my ignorance but why is Snake still wearing a FOX suit?

Probably due respect/homage/remembrance for his former unit, in the same fashion than Meryl did with Foxhound while she was working with the UN (under the Patriots' influence) as Rat Patrol 01.

SJRB

Gold Member

It just sounded extremely awkward and out of place given the situation and the delivery.

Phantom Pain should have a boss called Fiddlesticks.

AKyemeni

It feels like a meme, which is why I'm currently making a 10 hour version of the phrase.

Sami+

Ugh, the "mark all enemies" trial in Destroy the Anti-Air Emplacements is driving me up the fucking wall. I've been at it for almost two hours and I keep finishing with just one guy missing.

Played through this last night, loved it.

What was it that Kaz mentioned when you first get into crawl position? Something about readying your gun, pressing L3 or something.

My favorite way of starting the Déjà Vu mission is dashing to the first guy and tackling him, then following up with the 5-hit CQC as soon as he's back up.

Played through this last night, loved it.

What was it that Kaz mentioned when you first get into crawl position? Something about readying your gun, pressing L3 or something.

That's the new control method for doing the roll across the floor while you're lying prone. In MGS4, you held down X and L1, and tipped the analog stick in the direction you rolled. Now you do L2, stick and click.

Top Bottom