• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes |OT| Kaz, I'm already a demo

foxtrot3d

Banned
Eh you shouldn't, I enjoyed it a ton. Probably should play the others.

Glad you enjoyed it but you really do need to play the others, how could you possibly understand 4 otherwise? I mean do you even know that the difference between Big Boss and Solid Snake?

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
To you. To me PW is one of the best MGS games yet with a great story.

I feel bad for you, like really bad.
I agree its got a great story but the game itself isn't on par with the home console versions
This would have been different if it was made as a full mainline game instead of a portable game
And why feel bad, because he hasn't played the previous titles? MGS4 is fantastic, even better if you played the previous games
Or are you one of those that don't like MGS4 because it didn't play out the way you wanted?
I can't stand those stupid ideas some fans come up with, if it was up to them MGSV would be about The Boss and the Cobra Unit which has nothing to do with Metal Gear.

foxtrot3d

Banned
I agree its got a great story but the game itself isn't on par with the home console versions
This would have been different if it was made as a full mainline game instead of a portable game
And why feel bad, because he hasn't played the previous titles? MGS4 is fantastic, even better if you played the previous games
Or are you one of those that don't like MGS4 because it didn't play out the way you wanted?
I can't stand those stupid ideas some fans come up with, if it was up to them MGSV would be about The Boss and the Cobra Unit which has nothing to do with Metal Gear.

I personally loved MGS4 the first time I played it. Subsequent playthroughs revealed it to be the lesser of the MGS games, still I don't give a shit what anyone says it was a good game and Solid went out in style.

DNAbro

Glad you enjoyed it but you really do need to play the others, how could you possibly understand 4 otherwise? I mean do you even know that the difference between Big Boss and Solid Snake?

Oh believe me I had no idea what was going on most of the time. I do know the difference, not that hard to know if you at least read a synopsis of the stories.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I personally loved MGS4 the first time I played it. Subsequent playthroughs revealed it to be the lesser of the MGS games, still I don't give a shit what anyone says it was a good game and Solid went out in style.
I agree, although I'm one of the MGS2 fans
I enjoyed it as much as that so and didn't have my own write up to how the story should go so there wasn't any disappointment minus killing off Solid Snake

fbgamer

Banned
Will the guards get up if their friends are nearby? Do they tell them to get up?

In Ground Zeroes? Of course... it wouldn't be a metal gear game any other way.

What's new and awesome (but kinda messed up) is that guards slowly die now. So a guard would actually comfort a slowly dying solider, then call the incident in over the radio to CP.

rvy

Banned
In Ground Zeroes? Of course... it wouldn't be a metal gear game any other way.

What's new and awesome (but kinda messed up) is that guards slowly die now. So a guard would actually comfort a slowly dying solider, then call the incident in over the radio to CP.

That's amazing, lol. Never noticed it.

at 91% right now...contemplating if I want to put in the rage of trying to go for s rank on hard on all missions. I fucking loved this game...put well over 20 hours in

fbgamer

Banned
That's amazing, lol. Never noticed it.

To be honest I've only encountered it once during a side-ops mission. When trying to kill the "Eye" and the "Finger". These guys are always surrounded by fellow soldiers so I'm hoping it wasn't a scripted thing for that mission and is an actual thing guards do when encountering a slowly dying solider.

I've seen soldiers crawl away and slowly die many times in the game but I've only seen a situation where a live guard witnesses a dying one (in the side-ops)

I'm about 90% sure it wasn't scripted.

To be honest I've only encountered it once during a side-ops mission. When trying to kill the "Eye" and the "Finger". These guys are always surrounded by fellow soldiers so I'm hoping it wasn't a scripted thing for that mission and is an actual thing guards do when encountering a slowly dying solider.

I've seen soldiers crawl away and slowly die many times in the game but I've only seen a situation where a live guard witnesses a dying one (in the side-ops)

War is hell. (Unless it's about bees coming from your mouth or goofy hand gestures)

yeah you can injure guards by shooting at their feet until they fall over, this is one way of doing a non-lethal takedown too i think. Atleast i think it doesnt count as a kill, gotta test this at some point :D

And it wouldnt be a metalgear without these small amazing details :D no other game series does this.

Oh and TrollJima rolls the mission menu for you if you let it stay there for a moment.

Salaadin

Yah I love how guards actually wake up and wake each other up in MGS.

Two recent stealth titles (dxhr and Dishonored) treated non lethal take downs the same as lethal. Literally no difference. It sucks.

I generally always enjoy enemy behavior in MGS. One thing I love in GZ is how enemies are grouped into squads, each with their own caution phases. They don't typically stand down all at once either so you may leave a calm area to find some guards still acting cautious

War is hell. (Unless it's about bees coming from your mouth or goofy hand gestures)

Tora, since you're here, I have a request for you guys.

I think Konami should open up a suggestion box type page, so players would voice their opinions on what they like or dislike about the game. This would be done in order to benefit the Phantom Pain.

However, I think the page should limited only to those who registered GZ on your websites in order to limit the number of spamming you guys could from people bitching about the price or whatever, and make it so only people who actually played the product can get a say.

Myself (and many others I'd imagine) would really love for our voices and concerns to be heard directly by the Dev team in Koji Pro, but I don't see how that can currently happen.

In the end, getting feedback from GZ players will only serve to further improve and refine the gameplay for TPP. I hope you take this into consideration and relay it to whoever can make it happen.

$200

Banned
It will probably have an opening cutscene recapping GZ, or they just put those scenes in there because the trailers so far aren't really TPP trailers, but trailers for MGSV as a whole. Also I bet they include a copy of GZ with either a TPP special edition or give a download code as a preorder bonus.

If they aren't going to include GZ with TPP I think they would have announced it already to boost sale of GZ.

I've never been one to pay too much attention to VO but Sutherland (or however you spell it) really makes some of the other characters sound like cartoons by comparison. Not that he's any better of an actor than them but he talks in a more monotone, "normal" voice while everyone else is more colorful and overly dramatic. Kind of makes them sound a little ridiculous, especially the end dialogue where all you can do is listen to them speak without visuals (MGS staple).

Yeah...just there. Let's see how he is in TPP and future releases. At this point he's in it and we'll just have to hope for the best. But he didn't have much to do here voice acting wise and the codecs have changed too which gave him even less.

I miss the old codecs a lot. It's a staple of the series.

Dont care how they bring it back, move it to the idroid or something, but just bring back the little pictures and signal bars!

kubus

Maaaan, the Renegade Threat mission is a bitch to S rank! Can't get higher than a A rank...

What's the best method to tackle this? I've tried running and gunning, finishing the mission within 2 minutes by killing the bald dude first then running to the admin building, wait for the other dude to open the gate and then I shot him in the car. But obviously I raised an alert with this and that cost me a lot of points.

Other method was to extract them but this takes a lot of time so I got a A rank again. Argh! I've finally pinpointed the admin building's guy starting location though so maybe I can plan a more efficient route the next try...

Trying these missions with different approaches is really fun. I hope I can figure out my own succesful method without having to resort to a guide... but damn this one is tough!

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
So how do you neutralize a tank without killing anyone?

In the intel extract? Bait it away from the bodies and then RPG it like normal.

A good pro-tip is
tranq the guards and then get out. Carry their bodies to the guard tower before going to the VIP. Then go to the VIP, grab the rocketlauncher and then grab the VIP before dropping them. Quickly RPG the tank.

No deaths that way.

I really want to find all the XOF patches myself, but at the same time really want to play the Deja Vu mission. I've got 4 so far and I'm so close to looking at a guide.

FrankWza

If they aren't going to include GZ with TPP I think they would have announced it already to boost sale of GZ.

They have. But that doesn't mean it won't come bundled later. Anything is possible

I miss the old codecs a lot. It's a staple of the series.

Dont care how they bring it back, move it to the idroid or something, but just bring back the little pictures and signal bars!

I'd rather it not be that dominant on screen. I'm enjoying no hud. I'd rather use

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FLLFGO8/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Nori Chan

Maaaan, the Renegade Threat mission is a bitch to S rank! Can't get higher than a A rank...

What's the best method to tackle this? I've tried running and gunning, finishing the mission within 2 minutes by killing the bald dude first then running to the admin building, wait for the other dude to open the gate and then I shot him in the car. But obviously I raised an alert with this and that cost me a lot of points.

Other method was to extract them but this takes a lot of time so I got a A rank again. Argh! I've finally pinpointed the admin building's guy starting location though so maybe I can plan a more efficient route the next try...

Trying these missions with different approaches is really fun. I hope I can figure out my own succesful method without having to resort to a guide... but damn this one is tough!
I killed both of them with the sniper you get. I just had to put like 10 guys to sleep to keep the path safe of me escaping the mission area. But I had to be quick about it since once you kill the first guy on th jeep the other guy on the tower will run and you had to shoot him before he leaves the tower.

SJRB

Gold Member
Lol...I can't be the only one who get E Rank the first time playing through some of these missions right? :(

Not the first time, but I got an E-rank just now with the intel retrieval Side Op. I spent 133 minutes in the mission and the ranking system deducted me -9999 points for that haha.

I got played like a damn fiddle.

There are a few things I definitely think they should fix for Phantom Pain, or perhaps I'm going something wrong.

1. The cover system needs to be tighter if it's automatic. Snake really needs to hug corners better. There have been enough times where I was behind a crate or something, facing right while an enemy would be approaching on the left, very lightly tapping left so Snake would turn around so I could CQC once they were close enough, but even the light tap sent him far enough beyond the edge of cover to alert the enemy.

2. Diving is great, but why can't you immediately hold the crawl button down so he stays down if you want to keep moving. I don't like that he goes into the crouch position automatically after the dive, he should stay down.

3. Extracting prisoners, if there's going to be a Motherbase system similar to PW they need to either bring back the Fulton system, or allow you to bring targets to safe zones and leave them there for automatic extraction, waiting for the heli takes too long.

Great game though, for the most part the new mechanics are a great improvement.

Hasney

What happens if there's a guard on the other side of the door?

I'm going to have to find this out. Really hope he sees me so I can trigger reflex mode.

2. Diving is great, but why can't you immediately hold the crawl button down so he stays down if you want to keep moving. I don't like that he goes into the crouch position automatically after the dive, he should stay down.

Don't touch the left stick after diving and he stays down.

JayEH

I'm having a real fun time with the game. I've S-Ranked 3 missions so far. And it looks like I'll have to S-rank them all in hard as well later on.

Excuse my ignorance but why is Snake still wearing a FOX suit?

I'm going to have to find this out. Really hope he sees me so I can trigger reflex mode.

Don't touch the left stick after diving and he stays down.

Right, but like I said, if you want to keep moving. It's nothing major, but the extra bit of fluid control would be nice.

Alienous

I'm having a real fun time with the game. I've S-Ranked 3 missions so far. And it looks like I'll have to S-rank them all in hard as well later on.

He ought to be wearing a FOXHOUND suit, yeah. Even discounting Portable Ops, FOXHOUND is already founded in the canon.

I keep wasting my time on the iPhone app playing the mother base building game, and I have no idea why I am doing this because I have no idea if this will even factor in and give me a leg up when the phantom pain comes out. Am I truly wasting my time, or will this have any impact on the next game?

Is there anywhere to listen to the tapes? I collected half of them but am having trouble with the other half. I would have thought they would have been uploaded to youtube but I cant find them.

Kojima has openly, recently, said he wants those games remade, so perhaps, it's quite likely.

'Metal Gear Solid 0'. Fitting, isn't it?

I'd simply call it "Metal Gear". Have both games be remade as one. MG1 could serve as the prologue, considering it barely had any story, while the main game would focus on a reimagining of MG2.

Protag

Banned
I'd simply call it "Metal Gear". Have both games be remade as one. MG1 could serve as the prologue, considering it barely had any story, while the main game would focus on a reimagining of MG2.

Kojima said he isnt done with solid also, so hes either going to make an apperance in TPP, or the remakes for MG, which NEEDS to happen

And then a fox engine remake of MGS1.

The he moves onto new ips

kmax

All this eventually has to lead up and come full circle to a PS4/XB1 remake of MG1 right?

Right?

The remake of MG1 and MG2 would be the epic conclusion to the franchise, I think.
Solid Snake versus Big Boss and Gray Fox...what more could one ask for?
We should count our lucky stars if Kojima decides to make it happen.

Alienous

Kojima said he isnt done with solid also, so hes either going to make an apperance in TPP, or the remakes for MG, which NEEDS to happen

And then a fox engine remake of MGS1.

The he moves onto new ips

I think a good MG1 & MG2 remake would nullify the need to remaking MGS1 again. MGS1 shares a lot of similarities with MG2.

No, I think he should remake MG1 & MG2 as one game, this gen hopefully (despite being two games it'd still have a smaller, more focused scale than The Phantom Pain), the he should move onto ZOE 3 or any other game projects.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member

We don't really know. The original Ground Zeroes trailer said "SNAKE IS BACK IN FOX" and that was it, nothing else was said or anything.

It's probably just for Kojima to show "oh look how the contrast of FOX and XOF is!" and nothing else. I doubt he's working in the government (it was the CIA, right?) again, rather than just accepting to do for them certain things.

I hope to be wrong, because it would be so awesome.

rvy

Banned
People are really hellbent on this remake business. Kojima has said he has no interest in it and that if remakes were to happen they would be outsourced.

Alienous

We don't really know. The original Ground Zeroes trailer said "SNAKE IS BACK IN FOX" and that was it, nothing else was said or anything.

It's probably just for Kojima to show "oh look how the contrast of FOX and XOF is!" and nothing else. I doubt he's working in the government (it was the CIA, right?) again, rather than just accepting to do for them certain things.

I hope to be wrong, because it would be so awesome.

His suit is unchanged from Peace Walker, where he also had the FOX logo on his right shoulder.

Top Bottom