• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes |OT| Kaz, I'm already a demo

Griss

Don't you feel that sutherlands more "genuine" grounded performance has just brought light to the fact the other voice actors and dialogue are really REALLY hammy. Hayter was level playing field when it came to his surrounding voice actors, it was cheesy dialogue with cheesey voices. Now it's sutherland trying to inject some nuance into the dislogue when other guys are talking absolute shite in the worst voices ever. And he absolutely WRECKS the deja vu voice work.... It feels like a partial step. I either want the entire voice actor cast to be on sutherland level, or go back to hayter so snake is level with everyone else. As it is, i really didn't like it. And i'm put off by the thought of phantom pain because of it.

That's exactly how I feel. Sutherland is a fine actor, and brings subtlety to the role. Unfortunately, that leaves either everyone else sounding like an emotional amateur, or Sutherland sounding bored and dull by comparison. They needed to have Sutherland get into the swing of metal gear, which operates at a higher emotional register than proper drama in film or television. That, or get all-new voice actors for the other roles. I don't blame Sutherland at all for this, I blame Kojima.

People keep saying Hayter was a cartoon character. I've always thought that was intentional. MGS is a cartoon. Just a really, really brilliant one.

Oriel

Setting the helicopter extraction track to the Peace Walker theme gets dem juices flowing yo. Enemies trying to shoot you down as you rush to get the hell out whilst the track is blaring in the background. Hnnnngh.

Might not be the best choice of words given Keifer sounds like Keifer and yet his voice is far more suitable now for Big Boss than Hayter's (see Peace Walker as an example of it being understandable why some no longer prefer him in the role).

I find Keifer's voice more believable and human for the character. Was a good choice IMO.

I'm still to be convinced. His voice comes across quite flat, especially compared to Miller and Huey in the audio logs. I dunno, hopefully he'll pick up but so far it's not been great.

Oriel

Almostly definitely come up before.

The lady, Donna Burke, that sings "Sins of the Father" is the voice of the iDroid.

Donna Burke is simply outstanding. I'll never forget her voice belting out "Heaven's Divide" on the Missile Base mission in PW while all hell is breaking loose around Big Boss.

I dont need it to be taking over the screen, I just want something like it back in some form.

Right now Snake is only talking to Miller, so L1 button works fine. But what about when you have multiple contacts? How would you select who you want to call?

Keep L1 as a sort of quick-talk button with voice coming in without a HUD, but put the full-featured Codec on the iDroid. Have the iDroid screen display a traditional codec screen, but have the audio continue even if the iDroid is put away (sort of like the tapes and music).

Good compromise? Perhaps something like this? (Forgive the crude mockup)

yJ0gsiQ.jpg

While we're at it, the idroid should look more dead-spacey (as one user here put it) like this earlier mockup I made, which was used as the basis of the codec picture.
I....I like it!

Imm0rt4l

I find that the voice acting is one aspect that has either stagnated or worsened since mgs1. Its weird to have all these resources to make the game more real but the dialogue still comes across like anime. Keifer does a fine job so far. Sounds natural and not like a try hard.

fbgamer

Banned
I find that the voice acting is one aspect that has either stagnated or worsened since mgs1. Its weird to have all these resources to make the game more real but the dialogue still comes across like anime. Keifer does a fine job so far but. Sounds natural and not like a try hard.

Totally agree. Now if only they could hire good writers.

poodpick

Does anyone else get long loading times when when you use the idroid? Just got a ps4 so I don't know if it's normal to wait 10-15 seconds for the map or mission details to load

FrankWza

Does anyone else get long loading times when when you use the idroid? Just got a ps4 so I don't know if it's normal to wait 10-15 seconds for the map or mission details to load

You're not the only one to complain about this in GZ. On all consoles too.

Salaadin

I guess you have to speed through a level to S rank it? I just stealthed it in 30 minutes and only A ranked. I did have to reflex one time so that Must've taken a chunk of points off too.

I'm upset. Felt good about my approach and play style too. Still not good enough.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
It was because you used reflex.

I only noticed this in Deja Vu, when using the map or viewing the mission details.

Pretty terrible too since you need to wait for it load in real time, giving enemies time to find you.

From a friend:
The second placer's youtube channel is all about his leaderboard hacking exploits, so he's out, and that first place time is supposedly also with no weapon use, making it even more ludicrous, so this seems like the current world record on PS3. What are times like on the other platforms? Results screen too for assurance:

Mr. RHC

I dont need it to be taking over the screen, I just want something like it back in some form.

Right now Snake is only talking to Miller, so L1 button works fine. But what about when you have multiple contacts? How would you select who you want to call?

Keep L1 as a sort of quick-talk button with voice coming in without a HUD, but put the full-featured Codec on the iDroid. Have the iDroid screen display a traditional codec screen, but have the audio continue even if the iDroid is put away (sort of like the tapes and music).

yJ0gsiQ.jpg

While we're at it, the idroid should look more dead-spacey (as one user here put it) like this earlier mockup I made, which was used as the basis of the codec picture.

Yes, please sir!

My idroid suddenly stopped working on my ipad just now. Just keeps telling me "start the main game first" while I'm in the middle of the mission... Anyone else run into an issue with it?

To be honest I've only encountered it once during a side-ops mission. When trying to kill the "Eye" and the "Finger". These guys are always surrounded by fellow soldiers so I'm hoping it wasn't a scripted thing for that mission and is an actual thing guards do when encountering a slowly dying solider.

I've seen soldiers crawl away and slowly die many times in the game but I've only seen a situation where a live guard witnesses a dying one (in the side-ops)

I'm about 90% sure it wasn't scripted.

It isn't unique to that mission.

I sniped a guy in the chest and he was writhing on the ground, his buddy came up and said, "You're going to be alright, buddy. We're gonna get a medic to patch you up -- just hang in there, okay? Okay? Hey? Hey!" And his friend died.

Made me feel bad. :(

Maaaan, the Renegade Threat mission is a bitch to S rank! Can't get higher than a A rank...

What's the best method to tackle this?

Pick up the sniper, hold up the guy in front of you and run over to the cages; lay down where the approaching jeep can't see you. You can tranq the guy at the gate before the jeep gets there, then climb up and tranq the 2 that exit the jeep; or you can just wait for the driver to leave and tranq the 2 as they're talking.

Then run up the left road and climb the wood tower and choke-out the guy. Stand and aim west to the 1st armory and metal tower, you should see the Finger walking north with 2 other guys; shoot him in his bald head and immediately aim towards the admin tower and shoot the Eye right in his freakin' EYE! If you miss, he'll try to go down the ladder, making him easy pickings.

When he's dead, call the chopper to the east RV and head out. You can pick up a POW too, if you want.

Argh, I was played like a damn fiddle.

I think when TPP comes out, the thread needs to be titled:

MGSV: The Phantom Pain |OT| Play It Like A Damn Fiddle

Salaadin

Ugh. Got spotted picking the lock right at the beginning with Paz on my shoulders. That would have been my S rank.

There's gotta be an easier, stealthier way to get her out without using reflex.

Spaghetti

hey everybody, ken imaizumi announced on his twitter that kojipro are looking for feedback on ground zeroes' controls to make additions/tweaks for the phantom pain

i'm struggling to think of any major problems, but i've had trouble clicking in the left stick to sprint/roll sometimes, plus the whole issue of dropping the enemy you've stabbed to death/choked them out after performing that action rather than holding onto them by keeping the button pressed.

oh, and the somewhat unresponsiveness of snake's movement compared to how much you're tilting the control stick, plus the sometimes dodgy magnetising to cover (or not as the case may be)

Ugh. Got spotted picking the lock right at the beginning with Paz on my shoulders. That would have been my S rank.

There's gotta be an easier, stealthier way to get her out without using reflex.

Call for pick-up at the place you started the mission, then open Paz's door. Pick her up and exit through the stairwell with the camera (camera and guards should have been dispatched before getting her) and tranq the new guard at the bottom; head up and at the top of the stairs, move forward and tranq the guy standing in front of the door.

Go out the door and make your way around the right outer wall, don't go back inside. Tranq the 2 guys over by the AA gun, follow the fence and go through the opening and tranq the guy standing by the flagpole. Continue down the road and tranq/hold-up the guy in the little guard post near the gate. When he's taken care of, pick the lock and get to da choppah!

Salaadin

Call for pick-up at the place you started the mission, then open Paz's door. Pick her up and exit through the stairwell with the camera (camera and guards should have been dispatched before getting her) and tranq the new guard at the bottom; head up and at the top of the stairs, move forward and tranq the guy standing in front of the door.

Go out the door and make your way around the right outer wall, don't go back inside. Tranq the 2 guys over by the AA gun, follow the fence and go through the opening and tranq the guy standing by the flagpole. Continue down the road and tranq/hold-up the guy in the little guard post near the gate. When he's taken care of, pick the lock and get to da choppah!

I'll try that tomorrow.
I need to be faster. Once they realize she's missing, an APC sits outside the base with its headlights planted on the door. Sucks.

Unless I rescue her first....

hey everybody, ken imaizumi announced on his twitter that kojipro are looking for feedback on ground zeroes' controls to make additions/tweaks for the phantom pain

i'm struggling to think of any major problems, but i've had trouble clicking in the left stick to sprint/roll sometimes, plus the whole issue of dropping the enemy you've stabbed to death/choked them out after performing that action rather than holding onto them by keeping the button pressed.

oh, and the somewhat unresponsiveness of snake's movement compared to how much you're tilting the control stick, plus the sometimes dodgy magnetising to cover (or not as the case may be)
My suggestions are basically to allow the option in the options menu sprinting and ground rolling to be toggles rather than held down, as it's nearly painful to do both as it is now. The controls for trying to get Snake staying in crawl position after doing a belly leap is confusing to (I think it was to tap square and not do anything else? I'm not even sure despite pulling it off before.)

Griss

The biggest issue by far is sticking to cover and unpredictable actions when in cover. The best way to illustrate this is when in a tower. You want to just stand up and use the light but snake will constantly duck to stick to the 'cover' and when you press triangle, even in front of the light, 60% of the time snake will vault the wall and jump out of the tower. It's a crapshoot, and that sucks.

Roll controls could also be improved, and like you've mentioned surely strangling a guy should be holding the button down rather than mashing. Crawling controls are wonky at times too.

That's a lot of issues, but despite that when you're playing the game it does really feel like they nailed 99% of how it should feel. I'm really happy with how Snake controls, it's a huge improvement over the other games.

Salaadin

My suggestions are basically to allow the option in the options menu sprinting and ground rolling to be toggles rather than held down, as it's nearly painful to do both as it is now. The controls for trying to get Snake staying in crawl position after doing a belly leap is confusing to (I think it was to tap square and not do anything else? I'm not even sure despite pulling it off before.)
When you dive, stop pressing forward and he will stay down.

I think peeking needs to be tweaked. Sometimes it feels like he doesn't even do it... Zooms right in on the cover.

Do we just tweet this stuff to Ken?

When you dive, stop pressing forward and he will stay down.
Wow. I would have never figured that out without a manual or asking. I don't relate to the vertical movement of going into crouch as forward on the analog stick, I relate it to the crouch button.

Maddocks

I'll try that tomorrow.
I need to be faster. Once they realize she's missing, an APC sits outside the base with its headlights planted on the door. Sucks.

Unless I rescue her first....

if you rescue her first, they notice she is missing and they will be on permanent high alert.

Sami+

It's weird for me. It's pretty rare, but it's happened. The worst offender though is easily Deja Vu, which for whatever reason likes to do it a lot.

co1onel

This might be a stupid question but I just realized I can't figure out how to go straight from a dive into crawling. Snake always stands back up immediately and its really annoying sometimes. There is a way to stay down right?

yJ0gsiQ.jpg

That looks really good, tweet it to Kojima's twitter!

You tweet that shit to Kojima right now son!

Kojima should see this.

Well, if you guys all want him to see it so bad, tweet it to him yourselves as well! One guy is just a tiny blip on the radar. Go make some noise.

While you're at it, take up Ken-ichiro Imaizumi on his offer and ask him to add a way to silently kill sleeping enemies without the use of a gun (and without roundabout tricks like throwing them off a cliff). I would suggest Crouch+R2 to trigger a knife animation.

cackhyena

This might be a stupid question but I just realized I can't figure out how to go straight from a dive into crawling. Snake always stands back up immediately and its really annoying sometimes. There is a way to stay down right?
Yep, just hold down on the dive button. He won't get back up.

ButchCat

When he dives let go of the analogue stick for a second then push forward to crawl.

Zen

Banned
The game should really have counted total playtime. I know I have spent like 3 more hours playing the game than it tells me.

JayEH

Just got all the S-ranks on normal! Now onto hard lol. I'm really disappointed there isn't a platinum for this game, it could have been my second :(

wanders

They need to fix the hold ups

its game breaking

Anyone have the trophy for extracting the two guys (instead of killing them) bug out and not register? Or do you have to do something specific?

I got the first guy (bald white guy) by darting him to sleep and extracted him via chopper, then the second guy I threw/flipped him to knock him out then called the chopper a second time, extracted him and finished the level but never got the trophy. So annoying.

SJRB

Gold Member
I think the longest loading I've seen on the idroid (ps4) is maybe 2 seconds? About eight hours of play so far.

Yeah same, iDroid loads pretty much instantly with a second or two of loading when I switch map type. I'm playing the digital version [PS4], perhaps that makes a difference?

kubus

Aww yeah! Finally S Ranked the Renegade Threat mission on both Normal and Hard. Sniper Rifle was key here.

My time on Hard mode was 3:24, but could've been under 3 minutes if I hadn't forgotten to call in the chopper earlier.

My strategy in case anyone needs help with this:

Take out the first guard on the cliff then climb the rocks to the right. Follow the path here, making sure the guard at the prison cages doesn't see you (especially on Hard) and then go prone at the end. A car should drive by now. Wait for it to pass, then quickly take out the guard that passes you from below. Jump down, then while staying low take out the guard that is walking towards you on some sort of hill by tranqing him from far away. Should take 3 shots in his body. Then focus on your left. Take out the guard that is walking towards the tents, by the watch tower, also by tranqing him from a distance. Now run towards the car on your right, on the hill nearby the truck. Go around it and tranq the guy standing next to the truck. If you haven't unlocked the Sniper Rifle yet, you can grab it from the back of the vehicle. Call in the chopper and make it land at the place where you started the mission.

Now run back towards the watch tower. Climb up and find the bald dude. He should be walking around just ahead. Shoot him in the head once you have a good view on him. Now quickly turn to the admin watchtower and kill the other target (he's in the middle). This might take some practice because there is quite some distance between you. No alarms should be triggered. Now jump down and run back to the mission starting position. Make sure the guard at the prisons doesn't see you! Get on da chopper and get outta there. Should net you a S Rank easily!

If you take too long to kill them both, you might get spotted by a dude who is at the fence where the bald dude walks around. If you want, you can take him out with your tranq gun from the watch tower. Also if you miss a shot, it's going to be hard to complete the mission. You can kill the targets in any order btw.

nillapuddin

Finally S ranked every mission. Got 71,000 score on Ground Zeroes. Was hesitant near the end that I was going to get caught but I did it. The destroying the turrets guns was a bitch to S rank.

Now to finish a few trials off.

Really? Easiest mission by far in my book
2.5 minutes and S rank everytime

edit: Ill make a clip of my strategy for you

nextgen-edit: linky

Top Bottom