• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes |OT| Kaz, I'm already a demo

Hasney

Played through this last night, loved it.

What was it that Kaz mentioned when you first get into crawl position? Something about readying your gun, pressing L3 or something.

Yeah, L2 to ready then L3 to roll. Do this a lot in the Ground Zeroes mission, get used to it. Trust me.

Can anyone explain the CQC controls? I've played about 6-8 hours and still don't get them.

Sometimes you give a flurry of strikes, sometimes you flip someone and slam them into the ground, other times you bash them into scenery and finally if you hold it you'll typically grab them. What's the difference when all of these things happen with R2?

If only there was an in game manual with a detailed graphic to explain all the CQC moves.

Spaghetti

Relegating them to tapes means you have to seek them out. Instead of pulling out a tranq gun and calling Kaz, I assume you'll have to look into your tape archive and fine the one about that weapon, or that item, or that vehicle, or that scenario.
is that really much worse than skipping 10 conversations about hiding in grass though?

yJ0gsiQ.jpg

That looks rad as hell. I'll take it.

foxtrot3d

Banned
thing is, you need to sit and wait through numerous generic conversations about the mission and game mechanics before you get any good dialogue

relegating them to tapes means you don't have to fish to get those moments.

I like fishing conversations out that's what made them special as you kept trying different things to see if you would get a reaction. It's not as satisfying to hear a tape about SIGINIT's shit monster dream if you didn't have to fish it out, or listen to Snake bemoan about the loveliness of boxes if you didn't put yourself in one and call up members to see what they'd say.

FrankWza

I dont need it to be taking over the screen, I just want something like it back in some form.

Right now Snake is only talking to Miller, so L1 button works fine. But what about when you have multiple contacts? How would you select who you want to call?

Keep L1 as a sort of quick-talk button with voice coming in without a HUD, but put the full-featured Codec on the iDroid. Have the iDroid screen display a traditional codec screen, but have the audio continue even if the iDroid is put away (sort of like the tapes and music).

Good compromise? Perhaps something like this? (Forgive the crude mockup)

yJ0gsiQ.jpg

While we're at it, the idroid should look more dead-spacey (as one user here put it) like this earlier mockup I made, which was used as the basis of the codec picture.

Yeah dude...that's perfect actually. And if you don't sync your device you can choose to have it on screen. Because you know the line of people who don't have a compatible device will......you know.

Tekku

I really like how the gameplay feels this time. I've had many unique and cinematic moments when trying to escape with several prisoners.

I'm wondering if it's possible to escape with Paz without alerting the enemy? I've only played the first mission twice and I screwed up at the end both times. Gotta love that escape theme though! :)

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Man, that Deja Vu quiz on Normal threw me for a loop with one question:

QUESTION 8: What was the maximum load of the elevator in Communications Tower B?
ANSWER: 650 lbs (300 kilograms)

I remember them talking about it, but it isn't something that would stick in your mind like the other questions, you know?

I did get a chuckle out of the
HIDEO unlocking Classic Solid Snake
though.

Carbonox

I just beat this. Best fucking demo (hurr durr) of all time. Seriously though, just beat this and was thoroughly entertained and kept on the edge of my seat from start to finish. Looks impressive as fuck and Sutherland is superb and felt more genuine than Hayter.

The Phantom Pain is now my most anticipated game of the generation.

From rescuing Paz to getting her on a helicopter was an enthralling experience in itself as I didn't anticipate a bunch of guards appearing in many spots which was my downfall. Ended up in a fucking car chase, parking somewhere near to a drop-off and sneaking around like 5 guards carrying Paz.

Was like 3 minutes but 3 minutes of cinematic bliss that I was in full control of. That shit doesn't happen very often.

The gameplay, the music, the presentation, I can't fucking wait for The Phantom Pain. This ticked all the boxes of what I expected from a taster going in to this.

foxtrot3d

Banned
I really like how the gameplay feels this time. I've had many unique and cinematic moments when trying to escape with several prisoners.

I'm wondering if it's possible to escape with Paz without alerting the enemy? I've only played the first mission twice and I screwed up at the end both times. Gotta love that escape theme though! :)

Yes it is, it's possible to do the entire mission without triggering any alert whatsoever.

There's two guards who come down to check on her and take vitals. If she's gone, an alarm is triggered. It is entirely possible to wait for them to come in an neutralise them,or just be so damn quick, they don't get a chance.

SJRB

Gold Member

Absolutely. Here's the trick:

After the Paz cutscene, a two-man patrol will make its way to Paz' holding cell. If you take Paz and escape they will eventually reach the cell, notice she's gone and raise a base-wide alert. You can prevent this from happening by waiting for them and taking them out before they have a chance to call in the escape.

Edit: beaten like a fiddle.

Relegating them to tapes means you have to seek them out. Instead of pulling out a tranq gun and calling Kaz, I assume you'll have to look into your tape archive and fine the one about that weapon, or that item, or that vehicle, or that scenario.

I just wanted to add that he's said that information will be delivered to the player in more ways in The Phantom Pain, and not just cassette tapes. I wonder if the radio format changes a bit, too, assuming that you will be guided by multiple characters such as Kaz and Ocelot? I hope we get some more on this kind of stuff at E3!

Griss

There's two guards who come down to check on her and take vitals. If she's gone, an alarm is triggered. It is entirely possible to wait for them to come in an neutralise them,or just be so damn quick, they don't get a chance.

My problem isn't those guys, it's getting her out of the base itself. Going out the red door way leads to a ton of guys, and going the back way through the generators means you have to pick your way through the entire camp, which is hard as hell with her on your back.

My favorite way of starting the Déjà Vu mission is dashing to the first guy and tackling him, then following up with the 5-hit CQC as soon as he's back up.

That's the new control method for doing the roll across the floor while you're lying prone. In MGS4, you held down X and L1, and tipped the analog stick in the direction you rolled. Now you do L2, stick and click.

Yeah, L2 to ready then L3 to roll. Do this a lot in the Ground Zeroes mission, get used to it. Trust me.

L2 calls up the radio though...?

EDIT: It's L1, nvm I got it.

NYR94

Ugh, the "mark all enemies" trial in Destroy the Anti-Air Emplacements is driving me up the fucking wall. I've been at it for almost two hours and I keep finishing with just one guy missing.

Same for me. Anyone know if there's some special easy-to-forget spot where the last guy usually is? Or does a new soldier spawn if you kill one of the ones you already marked when the emplacements explode?

Chairhome

My problem isn't those guys, it's getting her out of the base itself. Going out the red door way leads to a ton of guys, and going the back way through the generators means you have to pick your way through the entire camp, which is hard as hell with her on your back.
Go out the red door, make a right into the now open gate, go through that way, less guys

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Finally S ranked every mission. Got 71,000 score on Ground Zeroes. Was hesitant near the end that I was going to get caught but I did it. The destroying the turrets guns was a bitch to S rank.

Now to finish a few trials off.

Loxley

Much to my disappointment, you can't chuck knocked-out guards into the back of the supply trucks :( There's an invisible wall preventing them from landing in it, so when you throw them at it they just sort of float on top of the truck until you drive it away - then they just fall to the ground.

Man, my master plan of getting as many knocked-out/sleeping guards into the back of one of those things and then planting some C4 on one of the bodies just went to shit.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
How long does the chopper wait for you before leaving?

And is there a way to dive without sprinting? I saw it in TFP trailer but I haven't been able to pull it off in GZ.

Much to my disappointment, you can't chuck knocked-out guards into the back of the supply trucks :( There's an invisible wall preventing them from landing in it, so when you throw them at it they just sort of float on top of the truck until you drive it away - then they just fall to the ground.

Man, my master plan of getting as many knocked-out/sleeping guards into the back of one of those things and then planting some C4 on one of the bodies just went to shit.
The numerous dumpsters are a tease too. I wonder if they were originally intended to be hiding places.

NYR94

How long does the chopper wait for you before leaving?

And is there a way to dive without sprinting? I saw it in TFP trailer but I haven't been able to pull it off in GZ.

The numerous dumpsters are a tease too. I wonder if they were originally intended to be hiding places.

I think I was able to dive from a complete stand still the other night. Just press the dive button, no?

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
I think I was able to dive from a complete stand still the other night. Just press the dive button, no?

I think it depends on how hot the LZ is.

I think you just press square and a direction.
Ha! Silly me, thanks.

Still not past the stage where Snake in my hands looks like he barely has control of his motor functions. I love control systems that allow for a feeling of mastery. I miss feeling invincible like I did in PW.

Revven

Played through it the first time, took me 2 hours because I was too lost in trying to find Paz lol

Game is fun but as always, I'm terrrrrrrible at MGS games even though going into them I know sneaking around is top priority. I got into a tough spot right before finding Paz -- one of the search towers or whatever had a Sniper Rifle and I decided to get it. Unfortunately, one of the guards on the lower level has amazing eyesight and the guard tower is placed in such a way that if you position yourself incorrectly they can see you through a specific angle. Terrible design, basically, and I had to run out of there which lead to a really fucking long ass alert status and guards near where I was newly hidden =\.

E rank aside, I enjoyed it. Going to def. replay the main mission to get the XOF badges and also do the other side missions tomorrow. I can't wait for The Phantom Pain at this point, it'd be nice if it was slated for later this year but I guess it's a 2015 title judging by what Kojima's said. :(

DukeBobby

According to the in-game timer, I've been playing for 7 hours and I'm only 38% complete.

I've definitely got my money's worth with this game. I've finished the main mission 5 times and I'm still not bored of it. Sure, I wish it was cheaper and it had more than one area, but I don't regret my purchase.

Good stuff.

KORNdoggy

I just beat this. Best fucking demo (hurr durr) of all time. Seriously though, just beat this and was thoroughly entertained and kept on the edge of my seat from start to finish. Looks impressive as fuck and Sutherland is superb and felt more genuine than Hayter.

Don't you feel that sutherlands more "genuine" grounded performance has just brought light to the fact the other voice actors and dialogue are really REALLY hammy. Hayter was level playing field when it came to his surrounding voice actors, it was cheesy dialogue with cheesey voices. Now it's sutherland trying to inject some nuance into the dislogue when other guys are talking absolute shite in the worst voices ever. And he absolutely WRECKS the deja vu voice work.... It feels like a partial step. I either want the entire voice actor cast to be on sutherland level, or go back to hayter so snake is level with everyone else. As it is, i really didn't like it. And i'm put off by the thought of phantom pain because of it.

Perhaps something like this? (Forgive the crude mockup)

yJ0gsiQ.jpg
That looks really good, tweet it to Kojima's twitter!

So how does everyone feel about what seems like the elimination of the codec? MGS4 saw the departure of the codec as a primary narrative device and Peace Walker pretty much eliminated it, MGSV seems to be following in PW's footsteps and getting rid of it altogether in replace of cassette tapes.

I don't exactly like this method, while it is nice to have all these conversations neatly organized and labeled for easy listening pleasure it takes something out of the experience by having it fed to you so openly and outside of the contextual situation. I wanna hear about the ecology behind a specific plant right when I'm looking at it or just captured it now later when I've finished a mission and am at a menu screen. I wanna hear Snake and Kaz talk about a particular boss right when I am facing it now afterwards when all the tension is gone.

How do you all feel?
I hope they don't get rid of it, I didn't have a problem with PW's tapes because it was originally a handheld game but I'm hoping the codec regains prominence in TPP. Snake's codec conversation with Naomi in MGS1 is one of my favourite scenes in the series, I don't think it would have been the same in a cutscene or a tape.

Carbonox

Don't you feel that sutherlands more "genuine" grounded performance has just brought light to the fact the other voice actors and dialogue are really REALLY hammy. Hayter was level playing field when it came to his surrounding voice actors, it was cheesy dialogue with cheesey voices. Now it's sutherland trying to inject some nuance into the dislogue when other guys are talking absolute shite in the worst voices ever. And he absolutely WRECKS the deja vu voice work.... It feels like a partial step. I either want the entire voice actor cast to be on sutherland level, or go back to hayter so snake is level with everyone else. As it is, i really didn't like it. And i'm put off by the thought of phantom pain because of it.

Interesting and valid point. I find Skullface's VO to be comical and a complete 180 when compared with Snake's, summing up the hammy nature of the voices. Everyone does sound a bit odd now when Sutherland's Snake has more humanity and effort involved. It can be jarring and yet for some reason I wouldn't have it any other way now at this point. At least where Snake's VO is concerned.

I'm hoping Troy Baker's Ocelot will play off Snake really well. In-fact, I'm confident the chemistry there from a believable voice acting relationship will be a night and day difference when compared with the rest of the cast (at least the characters we know and have heard from so far.

Will be very interesting to see in The Phantom Pain.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
actually it said "snake is back on fox", basically a reference to the fox engine rather than the fox unit.

I thought back in the day that it refers to the engine, but now with
the fact in hand that Skullface is going after Zero, and that at some point in the Big Boss will return to the US to lead Foxhound and work in Outer Heaven within the shadows, the more plausible is the idea that Big Boss and Zero will need each other in order to defeat Skullface, hence the "FOX vs XOF" tagline.

Carbonox

Setting the helicopter extraction track to the Peace Walker theme gets dem juices flowing yo. Enemies trying to shoot you down as you rush to get the hell out whilst the track is blaring in the background. Hnnnngh.

Did someone just use the word "effort" to describe Keifer's voice acting?

The world is officially ending.

Might not be the best choice of words given Keifer sounds like Keifer and yet his voice is far more suitable now for Big Boss than Hayter's (see Peace Walker as an example of it being understandable why some no longer prefer him in the role).

I find Keifer's voice more believable and human for the character. Was a good choice IMO.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Interesting and valid point. I find Skullface's VO to be comical and a complete 180 when compared with Snake's, summing up the hammy nature of the voices. Everyone does sound a bit odd now when Sutherland's Snake has more humanity and effort involved. It can be jarring and yet for some reason I wouldn't have it any other way now at this point. At least where Snake's VO is concerned.

I'm hoping Troy Baker's Ocelot will play off Snake really well. In-fact, I'm confident the chemistry there from a believable voice acting relationship will be a night and day difference when compared with the rest of the cast (at least the characters we know and have heard from so far.

Will be very interesting to see in The Phantom Pain.

I'm pretty sure from the trailer that Troy is gonna force his voice a bit. Oh man, it's going to be kinda funny in torture scenes.

But listen to the cassette tapes, they really add to the character of Skullface. And show that the VA is actually good, I really changed my opinion of him with those.

EDIT: And to be honest, Keifer is not always that good. In the intro scene when Kaz mentions that Paz survived he said "She survived?" in such a plain and "I don't give a fuck" way that it took me out of the scene haha.

To me, the best VA here is totally for Robin Atkin Dowes, his performance as Kaz is totally great, writing notwithstanding.

Carbonox

I'm pretty sure from the trailer that Troy is gonna force his voice a bit. Oh man, it's going to be kinda funny in torture scenes.

But listen to the cassette tapes, they really add to the character of Skullface.

There's definitely that fear I think given the character he has to play. I'm hoping for some great stuff though just on the basis of his Joker voice in Arkham Origins. He can pull some good stuff out of the bag. Looking forward to seeing more of Ocelot altogether.

Oh don't get me wrong, I like the character of Skullface and find him compelling. I just think the voice is quite funny with a lot of sentences coming off far less serious than they should be given the subject matter.

Top Bottom