• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes |OT| Kaz, I'm already a demo

kubus

I have a disc and during the deja-vu mission last night, it took 10 seconds or so to get iDroid up.

Same. Also have the disc version (PS4) en loading mission info can take quite some time in some mission. Around 3-5 seconds maybe. Deja Vu mission was the absolutely worst, loading mission info would take 10 seconds like you said.

SonnyBoy

Same. Also have the disc version (PS4) en loading mission info can take quite some time in some mission. Around 3-5 seconds maybe. Deja Vu mission was the absolutely worst, loading mission info would take 10 seconds like you said.

You hit the nail on the head.

casmith07

hey everybody, ken imaizumi announced on his twitter that kojipro are looking for feedback on ground zeroes' controls to make additions/tweaks for the phantom pain

i'm struggling to think of any major problems, but i've had trouble clicking in the left stick to sprint/roll sometimes, plus the whole issue of dropping the enemy you've stabbed to death/choked them out after performing that action rather than holding onto them by keeping the button pressed.

oh, and the somewhat unresponsiveness of snake's movement compared to how much you're tilting the control stick, plus the sometimes dodgy magnetising to cover (or not as the case may be)

When you quick dive, Snake should stay prone.

Glad to have you with us! ^_^

I got it for £18 from US PSN. It's a brilliant game, I just can't wait for TPP. It's going to take so long.

Tbf I've been playing this since Thursday, last night I played from 5pm-1:20am just doing 2 mission
The gameplay is there to get £20 worth out of it
The game does remind me of MGS1 and MGS2 in that respect
Just imagine how many hours you'll get out the full game

Yeah, I've paid over £20 for a pizza that lasts 25 minutes at best...so I'll get some value from it.

SJRB

Gold Member
When you quick dive, Snake should stay prone.

He does? Just let go of the analog stick after you dive.

The biggest control tweak for me is the camera control in tight spots. When moving between the tents the camera sometimes gets "stuck" behind Big Boss and even when hugging the wall it won't show what is around the corner. Which, for a tactical stealth game, is pretty crucial.

SonnyBoy

If I had a complaint, it's that doors shut automatically. I can't nudge them to shut once I'm inside. It detracts from the realism they're aiming for.

I've watched a few streams of people playing, but I didn't notice anyone trying to hide bodies other than dumping them in a dark corner.

Are there storage crates to drop the body into, lockers, anything?

cackhyena

I've watched a few streams of people playing, but I didn't notice anyone trying to hide bodies other than dumping them in a dark corner.

Are there storage crates to drop the body into, lockers, anything?
Nothing but little armory buildings that I can think of to dump bodies into. The interactivity with the actual level is limited.

Protag

Banned
hey everybody, ken imaizumi announced on his twitter that kojipro are looking for feedback on ground zeroes' controls to make additions/tweaks for the phantom pain

i'm struggling to think of any major problems, but i've had trouble clicking in the left stick to sprint/roll sometimes, plus the whole issue of dropping the enemy you've stabbed to death/choked them out after performing that action rather than holding onto them by keeping the button pressed.

oh, and the somewhat unresponsiveness of snake's movement compared to how much you're tilting the control stick, plus the sometimes dodgy magnetising to cover (or not as the case may be)

Can someone tweet them and say that they should tweak the rolling? It doesnt feel natural to do, and thats my only complaint regarding the otherwise best controls in the series so far

Oh, and also ADD KNOCKING.

SJRB

Gold Member
Oh, and also ADD KNOCKING.

You know I was thinking about that while playing, there are a lot of places where knocking makes no sense. You can't knock on tents, fences and that sort of stuff.

Why not have a whistle option? Something that's more usable regardless of location/situation? I know, straight outta Splinter Cell, but who cares really.

Hasney

You know I was thinking about that while playing, there are a lot of places where knocking makes no sense. You can't knock on tents, fences and that sort of stuff.

Why not have a whistle option? Something that's more usable regardless of location/situation? I know, straight outta Splinter Cell, but who cares really.

Well if you wanted to get out of stealing from Splinter Cell, it could be a fart button, combined with Beavis and Butthead style laughing.

Great way to add KINECT functionality.

"Psst!" "Over here!" "Hey asshole!"

Protag

Banned

Hm, interesting point, but idk i feel as if there were plenty of hard structures to knock on, but why not add something different, wouldnt hurt

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

Magnetizing to cover is fine, so far as the idea. The implimentation needs to be tweaked and if I'm in cover, I need to be able to move around in cover a-la Gears like you used to be able to do with "wallpress"ing in MGS1 to move away from threats while still being in "stealth"/least amount of seen mode.

They need to remove rolls or make it easier. Clicking L3 and a side at the same time is AWFUL.

Toggle Codec (or dump it into the iDroid, pref.) and Toggle Binos so my L2/R2 on PS3 doesn't suddenly drop those and have me having to redo them even though I'm holding L/R2 because the TRIGGERS SUCK would be nice to have, meanwhile.

FrankWza

He does? Just let go of the analog stick after you dive.

The biggest control tweak for me is the camera control in tight spots. When moving between the tents the camera sometimes gets "stuck" behind Big Boss and even when hugging the wall it won't show what is around the corner. Which, for a tactical stealth game, is pretty crucial.

It would be cool if it was dependant on the environment. Outdoors you could pick up a rock and throw it...indoors you can knock on a structure.that would add to the immersion and strategies. Thrown rock makes the guard go to another area. Knock and he comes to you.

FrankWza

Wait, I can buy the Japanese PS3 ver. and it will be in full english but with Japanese voice over?

More like Japanese with English subtitles.. but yeah. Native language is usually more accurate. Unless they transcribed the American dialog and inserted into the japanese version.

Just collected all 9 XOF patches while rescuing Paz at the same time, boy that was quite intense.

7 hours into the game and my completion ratio is only 27%. Enjoying this game so far.

cackhyena

Just collected all 9 XOF patches while rescuing Paz at the same time, boy that was quite intense.

7 hours into the game and my completion ratio is only 27%. Enjoying this game so far.
Did you use a guide? I started a run last night trying to get a better rank on the main missions came across a patch...which makes a grand total of 3 so far....gonna take me a while.

Clearing the AA guns mission without using any weapons was... interesting.

You have to drive the trucks into them but the 3rd one (in the middle) can be really tricky to get the truck close enough to blow it up, since there's no barrels near it; then you have to lure the APC over the claymores. Made for a fun challenge.

A tip for a Deja Vu trial:
To find the last logo, you need to GET TO DA CHOPPAH! It took me forever to find that thing.

I'll try that tomorrow.
I need to be faster. Once they realize she's missing, an APC sits outside the base with its headlights planted on the door. Sucks.

Unless I rescue her first....

Just crouch-run straight out the door and the APC won't see you.

VulpX

Noticed this too. Thought maybe my PS4's hard drive was starting to fail or something. But "luckily", I'm not the only one that has this problem. First time playing Deja Vu it was really annoying, since you constantly take out the iDroid to figure out the next spot.

Did you use a guide? I started a run last night trying to get a better rank on the main missions came across a patch...which makes a grand total of 3 so far....gonna take me a while.

Yeah I did. I have 3 XOF patches before I use the guide though. Learning to how speed run GZ mission helps the process somehow.

Carbonox

I used a video guide to get all the XOF patches last night. Next stop to tackle the side ops specific trophies. Done the first one with the extractions rather than killing the dudebros.

In an ideal world I will 100% this game but the S rank trophy seems like a sticking point.

VulpX

I used a video guide to get all the XOF patches last night. Next stop to tackle the side ops specific trophies. Done the first one with the extractions rather than killing the dudebros.

In an ideal world I will 100% this game but the S rank trophy seems like a sticking point.
You only need to S-rank the normal missions for that trophy. I would advice to also try the Hard missions, and disable Reflex mode. Then you're in for a treat!

They're not that difficult. It may seem like they're impossible with some of the starting equipment but getting a B Rank usually unlocks a weapon that will make the road to S significantly easier.

kubus

Destroy the Anti-Air Emplacements on Hard + try getting S Rank is freaking killing me. How the hell am I supposed to do this without being spotted?!

Guards are EVERYWHERE with the constant alert. I tried so many strategies already... Ugh. I don't have enough tranq rounds to just stun everyone in my path.

Right now trying to get into the armory and grab a rocket launcher so I can go back to the starting position and destroy everything from a safe distance, but just getting there is proving to be impossible for me.

This mission is really frustrating :(.

Spaghetti

Destroy the Anti-Air Emplacements on Hard + try getting S Rank is freaking killing me. How the hell am I supposed to do this without being spotted?!

Guards are EVERYWHERE with the constant alert. I tried so many strategies already... Ugh. I don't have enough tranq rounds to just stun everyone in my path.

Right now trying to get into the armory and grab a rocket launcher so I can go back to the starting position and destroy everything from a safe distance, but just getting there is proving to be impossible for me.

it's possible. i posted a method a few pages back that works for both normal and hard.

Carbonox

You only need to S-rank the normal missions for that trophy. I would advice to also try the Hard missions, and disable Reflex mode. Then you're in for a treat!

Reflex Mode sucks. Even when it happens I DON'T want to use it. :lol So yeah I will turn it off altogether. That adds points to your end-of-mission results too right?

They're not that difficult. It may seem like they're impossible with some of the starting equipment but getting a B Rank usually unlocks a weapon that will make the road to S significantly easier.

Yeah I've gone through the Ground Zeroes mission and the first Side-Ops and got B's in both first time so got some decent gear. I'll give the S rank a go anyway. I saw some decent videos to use as references.

VulpX

I placed C4 on the first one right in front of you at the start. Then go right, walk along the fence all the way to the bridge, stunning every guard in your path. Place C4 on the AA there. Then tranq the enemy in the watchtower nearby and go up there to pick up his rocket launcher. Tranq some more guards nearby and blow the first AA. Guards go over there to investigate, blow the second AA and immidiatly take out the rocketlauncher en blow up the AA near the entrance to the admin building. Now out of the guard tower and back to the bridge. Stun guards that came to investigate and place some C4 under the bridge. Walk a little further and wait in the bushes for the APC. Blow C4 with APC on top, and give him two rockets from behind. Call in chopper to Chico extraction point and go there. S-rank.
That's how I did it anyway.

Reflex Mode sucks. Even when it happens I DON'T want to use it. :lol So yeah I will turn it off altogether. That adds points to your end-of-mission results too right?

Yeah I've gone through the Ground Zeroes mission and the first Side-Ops and got B's in both first time so got some decent gear.
Yup, sweet bonus points :)

SonnyBoy

I placed C4 on the first one right in front of you at the start. Then go right, walk along the fence all the way to the bridge, stunning every guard in your path. Place C4 on the AA there. Then tranq the enemy in the watchtower nearby and go up there to pick up his rocket launcher. Tranq some more guards nearby and blow the first AA. Guards go over there to investigate, blow the second AA and immidiatly take out the rocketlauncher en blow up the AA near the entrance to the admin building. Now out of the guard tower and back to the bridge. Stun guards that came to investigate and place some C4 under the bridge. Walk a little further and wait in the busches for the APC. Blow C4 with APC on top, and gice him two rockets from behind. Call in chopper to Chico extraction point and go there. S-rank.
That's how I did it anyway.

Yup, sweet bonus points :)

Thanks for that. I guess my next question is, what constitutes an S rank? Never being physically spotted?

9FRD2w8.jpg

if every map in mgs5: the phantom pain is this quality then it will be a pretty incredible game

VulpX

Thanks for that. I guess my next question is, what constitutes an S rank? Never being physically spotted?
I think it's mainly score. And being spotted, killing people, taking too long etc gives you negative points and thus a lower score, ergo lower ranking.
9FRD2w8.jpg

if every map in mgs5 is this quality then it will be a pretty incredible game
Congrats, only on 84% myself, and all trophies except one. Now on to trial grinding...

I posted how I did it earlier:

100% done.

Getting an S Rank on the AA Guns (hard) went easier than expected, thanks to the sniper rifle -- which you need a B Rank to unlock.

Two of the AA guns have explosive barrels next to them, so you only need to plant C4 on the one closest to you; but before that, pick up the sniper, go back to where you started and lay down, then shoot the barrel next to the northeast AA gun, you can just barely see the red/white under the parked truck. Since there's an explosion, they pay no attention to your shot and they all look towards it, away from you, and some run in that direction.

Drop down over the fence, crawl to underneath the AA gun and plant C4 -- you might have to tranq 1 or 2 guys -- then crawl (crouch when safe) all the way to the cages. There's usually a guard in the tower that will come down because the POW's start asking you for help, but he wasn't there on my last run for some reason; if he is, just tranq him. Extract all the POW's from the east RV.

Now, crouch/crawl all the way to the very northeast corner, behind the yellow tire spikes or whatever. There's a few guys (3-4) that hang around the NE AA gun you destroyed, so tranq them from under the bridge, in the brush. When you get to the corner you can snipe the barrel next to the NW AA gun; when that blows, jog/run to the SE watchtower by the road, but take the road that goes by the cages to avoid guards. And watch out for mines! you have to climb up the left side and take the little narrow ledge to bypass them.

Go to the curve in the road, lay down, detonate the C4 on the first AA gun and plant the remaining 4 right in the middle of the road. Now take cover in the little white guard post and wait for the APC to drive over the C4 and detonate. BOOM!

Call Morpho and GET TO DA CHOPPAH!

btkadams

soooo i played mgs1-4 but only played an hour of peace walker. i played through the main ground zeroes mission and was sooo lost. peace walker must be a necessity for this, right? i'll have to go back and play through it.

VulpX

soooo i played mgs1-4 but only played an hour of peace walker. i played through the main ground zeroes mission and was sooo lost. peace walker must be a necessity for this, right? i'll have to go back and play through it.
You can read the recap that is included in the game.
But, and this is my opinion, playing Peace Walker is awesome, so you should do that :p

Jawmuncher

Yeah most were saying GZ is basically the epilouge of PW.

btkadams

You can read the recap that is included in the game.
But, and this is my opinion, playing Peace Walker is awesome, so you should do that :p
yeah i actually read the recap and was still sooo confused lol. it introduced so many characters i had never heard of before.
Yeah most were saying GZ is basically the epilouge of PW.
k i'm definitely going to play it then.

is the psp version ok on vita, or is the ps3 version a lot better?

Spaghetti

yeah i actually read the recap and was still sooo confused lol. it introduced so many characters i had never heard of before.

k i'm definitely going to play it then.

is the psp version ok on vita, or is the ps3 version a lot better?
go with the hd collection version on console. controls better.

Top Bottom