• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes |OT| Kaz, I'm already a demo

cackhyena

I've now clocked 8 hours into this and only have 3 missions S Ranked. Main Mission, Intel, and Renegade...all on Normal. Long way to go.

Intel is such a cinch if you just stay in the truck till he parks. Get the tape and get back in. Guy drives you out, easy as can be. Wonder if it's the same on Hard. You get S Rank even though
you don't technically have the real tape.

RedAssedApe

Banned
You know I was thinking about that while playing, there are a lot of places where knocking makes no sense. You can't knock on tents, fences and that sort of stuff.

Why not have a whistle option? Something that's more usable regardless of location/situation? I know, straight outta Splinter Cell, but who cares really.

Ugh...Assassin's Creed 4 had whistling too. Think its sillier than knocking. If I heard some fool whistling on a military base or some restricted area I'd go on instant alert.

So my friends made a special cupcake series inspired by MGS:GZ
HYUrOzB.jpg

That's awesome!

I wish that when you told a soldier to call his comrades that they would call to say everything is fine rather than calling people over to your direction. It would be super useful to not have to be able to do that so their commander doesn't freak out when they don't call back after reporting that they're checking something out.

I wonder if kojipro is gonna make any significant changes to PP based on GZ feedback.

I wish that when you told a soldier to call his comrades that they would call to say everything is fine rather than calling people over to your direction. It would be super useful to not have to be able to do that so their commander doesn't freak out when they don't call back after reporting that they're checking something out.

I wonder if kojipro is gonna make any significant changes to PP based on GZ feedback.

I bet there'll be more than a little tweaking going on with the basic mechanics and AI. I mean, they have a year+ still (we assume).

cackhyena

That would be a nice addition. I'd like it if you could catch guys you put to sleep or kill in reflex mode.

nillapuddin

I actually looked at your vid and that was awesome! Unfortunately I think you need to get A rank first to unlock the rocket launcher so I can't try that yet :(.

Ah, that stinks, well best of luck getting an A, then hopefully you can do something similar to what I did for an easy S

Whoa, awesome. Thanks for this. Does the rocket launcher unlock at a certain point? Working as well and I can’t remember if I unlocked it after my first try.

Once youve beaten the mission at an A rank, it will be available to use at the start
lots of other people wrote some very helpful tips, there are also many Rocket Launchers you can get from enemies, even in that first area, you could for sure acquire one pretty early Id imagine

Two questions:

1.) Can you receive intel on every XOF patch in-game? I know I found a couple of mine by interrogating guys. I currently have five and would rather not use a guide to find the other four.

2.) Can you kill/evac every soldier on the map so that you can just run around without fear of being spotted?

1. Im unsure of that one

2. Yes, I did it on a side op cause I was trying to spot all the enemies, so I just would tranq them, group em up, evac them, rinse and repeat

nillapuddin

So let me just boast about next gen here for a second

I recorded that clip last night to help show some of yall my tactic for that side op

immediately sent it up to one drive, and then powered off the console

I just got home from work, booted up my Xbox, selected GZ, and the game was waiting for me on that exact same result screen, ready to go again.

the future is so cool

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
Snakes..butt.. on a cupcake..

Buttcake

SJRB

Gold Member
I finally found a way to circumvent the absurd "facebook/twitter upload only" for screenshots taken on the PS4.

Rescuing a prisoner is never NOT badass, it feels so cool.

I finally found a way to circumvent the absurd "facebook/twitter upload only" for screenshots taken on the PS4.

Rescuing a prisoner is never NOT badass, it feels so cool.

Mind sharing your technique for doing this? Facebook is pretty much the only network I would NOT want to use to share my videos and screen grabs. How'd you upload them elsewhere? Was it a big pain?

Still confused about the share button. Some funny things happened while I was playing so I pressed the share button to save a clip to upload, but I couldn't find the clip in the 15 minute video anywhere, even though I could see it in the thumbnail and the screenshot was captured correctly.

Betty

Banned
Still confused about the share button. Some funny things happened while I was playing so I pressed the share button to save a clip to upload, but I couldn't find the clip in the 15 minute video anywhere, even though I could see it in the thumbnail and the screenshot was captured correctly.

I find it only records the first 15 minutes of gameplay from the time the game starts up, after that it stops recording until you hold down the share button and it saves that 15 minutes.

If you want to start recording double click it to set a start point, then when you want to save, hold it down to go to the upload screen and it should be saved.

I find it only records the first 15 minutes of gameplay from the time the game starts up, after that it stops recording until you hold down the share button and it saves that 15 minutes.

If you want to start recording double click it to set a start point, then when you want to save, hold it down to go to the upload screen and it should be saved.

Hm okay. I've been googling around and a lot of people seem to be having similar problems. Weird that this feature ended up being so confusing, you'd think it would be pretty straight-forward. Hope they refine it a bit and make it more clear.

If you just press the share button to bring up the menu is that all you have to do to save a video locally? Or is there another step?

Damn, I finished the Ground Zeroes mission the second time. I got used to the controls and now the game is so much fun. Also I am superhyped for TPP now. The story promises much, but this is the first time, where I am hyped for the gameplay itself. The side ops were so much fun, sneaking around without getting caught just feels so rerwarding. A MGS was never that good gameplaywise imo.
A little question: Is there any other stealth-open world game, like TPP is going to be?

Betty

Banned
Hm okay. I've been googling around and a lot of people seem to be having similar problems. Weird that this feature ended up being so confusing, you'd think it would be pretty straight-forward. Hope they refine it a bit and make it more clear.

If you just press the share button to bring up the menu is that all you have to do to save a video locally? Or is there another step?

That seems to be the only step.

And yes, it's weird, it should save your LAST 15 minutes but instead it records 15 minutes worth of gameplay... then stops. And wont start recording again until you either double click the share button to start recording (that's when the little red light pops up in the top right corner) or you hold down the share button and show the upload screen, from there it will start recording after you go to that screen.

Can someone tell me how you roll on your back so you can shoot?

Is this a stylistic thing that you want? I'm pretty sure that mechanically, shooting while lying down on your front or back is the same.

I remember that pressing Triangle while lying down in MGS4 had you flip onto your back. Forget if it's the same here or not.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
I wonder why you can't crawl on your back like MGS4. Seems like an odd omission.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Is this a stylistic thing that you want? I'm pretty sure that mechanically, shooting while lying down on your front or back is the same.

I remember that pressing Triangle while lying down in MGS4 had you flip onto your back. Forget if it's the same here or not.

It's not. To lay on your back and shoot you have to aim around Snake while prone. The animation will put Snake on either his left side, right side, or his back depending on where you're aiming. Can't do it manually in GZ.

It's not. To lay on your back and shoot you have to aim around Snake while prone. The animation will put Snake on either his left side, right side, or his back depending on where you're aiming. Can't do it manually in GZ.

Oh riiiight.

And now I just remembered that I like to roll Snake around back and forth when he's in the "Shooting while laying on his back" position. XD

JayEH

It's just sometimes useful to just get on your back when your prone instead of have to turn around and possibly get detected. I saw someone do it in a video and was just wondering.

I'm loving GZ but there are a couple of areas where I wish they just kept MGS4 systems in place. The CQC is inferior and the telling guards to lie down mechanic is completely overpowered. The whole point of doing a no kill run is there shouldn't be a way to take an enemy completely out of the game.

My suggestions for TPP; revert to MGS4's superior CQC (but include the disarm move, just make the timing tricky so it feels like an achievement) and have guards actually get up after a few seconds (maybe a bit longer than if they're just standing being held up).

My favourite new mechanic is definitely the peek though. Cover plus peek feels like the return of the classic corner view. I think if they reintroduced MGS4's cover button it might solve a lot of the issues with the camera in cover though.

I turned reflex off before I started and haven't put it on once so I can't comment on that.

edit: And bring back the old roll controls too. I had endless fun rolling around in MGS4 and it's just a bit of a pain in GZ. Also, why can't Snake flip over anymore, or play dead?

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I'm loving GZ but there are a couple of areas where I wish they just kept MGS4 systems in place. The CQC is inferior and the telling guards to lie down mechanic is completely overpowered. The whole point of doing a no kill run is there shouldn't be a way to take an enemy completely out of the game.

My suggestions for TPP; revert to MGS4's superior CQC (but include the disarm move, just make the timing tricky so it feels like an achievement) and have guards actually get up after a few seconds (maybe a bit longer than if they're just standing being held up).

My favourite new mechanic is definitely the peek though. Cover plus peek feels like the return of the classic corner view. I think if they reintroduced MGS4's cover button it might solve a lot of the issues with the camera in cover though.

I turned reflex off before I started and haven't put it on once so I can't comment on that.

edit: And bring back the old roll controls too. I had endless fun rolling around in MGS4 and it's just a bit of a pain in GZ. Also, why can't Snake flip over anymore, or play dead?

This is what ruined peace walker. Hold up and fulton delete a guard combo

This is what ruined peace walker. Hold up and fulton delete a guard combo

I'm really hoping the fulton doesn't return in TPP and enemies need to be taken to an extraction point. Or at least put a hard limit on how many fultons you have (i.e. no fulton pick ups in levels, only what you bring with you.).

But simplistic and cramped level design, blind and deaf guards and boring 'boss' fights is what ruined PW. I played and loved PW on PSP but when I played the HD collection on PS3, going from MGS3 straight into PW really did the game no favours. I didn't even finish it.

Loxley

Because I've put so much time into GZ, I'm starting to pay closer attention to some of the smaller design and aesthetic choices. I have to say, I'm surprised that despite Kojima's infamous attention to detail in all his games - in GZ he has the US marines using Chinese assault rifles (SAR-80's) instead of M16's. Especially since the US military has never at any point used SAR's.

I almost wonder if there's some sort of contextual reason within the game as to why this is, but I'm probably over-thinking it.

cackhyena

I think it's a bit overpowered, but I'd want it to be quite a while still before they got up. I don't know why you'd turn off Reflex before even giving it a shot. It's fun to use.

Yeah, I could use a little more variety and ease of use in the rolling/getting on your back.

Also holy fuck, the more I play this game the more I can't stand anyone's voice besides Sutherland. Simply because it isn't hammy as shit.

Because I've put so much time into GZ, I'm starting to pay closer attention to some of the smaller design and aesthetic choices. I have to say, I'm surprised that despite Kojima's infamous attention to detail in all his games - in GZ he has the US marines using Chinese assault rifles (SAR-80's) instead of M16's. Especially since the US military has never at any point used SAR's.

I almost wonder if there's some sort of contextual reason within the game as to why this is, but I'm probably over-thinking it.

That is curious...although I'm not a gun expert so I can't say how accurate the weapons were in previous Metal Gears, but they seem liked they were pretty accurate. Like in MGS3 Snake was surprised Eva got a Colt 45., which is an American gun.

I'm assuming the choice to go with an SAR-80 in GZ was a purely aesthetic one, but it's interesting nonetheless as it was clearly a conscious choice to use that when an M16 would be an obvious weapon to use.

Maybe it's to do with Camp Omega being a blacksite, so they stay away from using American weaponry?

foxtrot3d

Banned

What's weird is that all the weapon names are fake. There are no M-16's or SAR-80's they all have weird fake names like MRS Rifle, I hope this isn't in the final game because that would be weird especially considering MGS always uses real gun names.

They made the inclusion of reflex a necessity when they fucked up the Alert system.

There's absolutely no reason for an entire base of enemies to immediately go in high alert because some asshole decided to yell "Hostile" without anyone even being around them.

They should make it so that the soldier has to radio in to CP first before putting the entire base on alert when you get spotted. If there are adjacent enemies when the initial spotter yells, they should be on alert as well. Just not the whole fucking base.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
If I'm not wrong, their military adviser has made some mistakes in past games, this wouldn't surprise me.

Plus if it were a small detail (as in they don't want people to know that there are Americans in there), I'm sure that they'd take pride in it and mention it somewhere in the game.

I think it's a bit overpowered, but I'd want it to be quite a while still before they got up. I don't know why you'd turn off Reflex before even giving it a shot. It's fun to use.

Yeah, I could use a little more variety and ease of use in the rolling/getting on your back.

Also holy fuck, the more I play this game the more I can't stand anyone's voice besides Sutherland. Simply because it isn't hammy as shit.

It just looked like a way to make stealth easier for those who could never really handle it. I've been riding my bike with no stabilizers since 1998, why would I put them on now?

I tell you what else I would like, the return of a visual indicator for alert, evasion and caution phases. I was playing with no sound yesterday and didn't even realise I'd been spotted at one point. I imagine it's quite frustrating for deaf players. Heck, they even get subtitles with the D. Mic.

Hopefully we've seen the last of the codec though, it's just so dated. Hopefully Kojima drops the power point presentations too, though I did like the little XMB reference in Naomi's power point in Act 2 of MGS4.

They made the inclusion of reflex a necessity when they fucked up the Alert system.

There's absolutely no reason for an entire base of enemies to immediately go in high alert because some asshole decided to yell "Hostile" without anyone even being around them.

They should make it so that the soldier has to radio in to CP first before putting the entire base on alert when you get spotted. If there are adjacent enemies when the initial spotter yells, they should be on alert as well. Just not the whole fucking base.

MGS4 had the same problem but it was at least partially justifiable with SOP. Why he got rid of it in the first place is mystifying. If the areas in TPP are as big as we're expecting it makes even less sense. There were a couple of ways MGS4 was a regression from 2 and 3 in terms of guard behaviours and Ground Zeroes hasn't yet fully recovered it seems. Though I can't recall if guards would radio in before checking on suspicious activity like they do in GZ.

Fuck me sideways... I was 80 points away from getting an S rank. (If S rank is indeed 59000 points. I was at 58920 something) I would have gotten it too if I didn't forget for 10 seconds to call the chopper and extract Chico. Must. Keep. Trying!

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
One thing that bugs me, why don't the guards speak, they mumble and we get subtitles but they don't speak, it was like that in PW, but they did in MGS3 so this seems like a step backwards to me
Also the guards don't seem threatened by where you point the gun anymore, disappointing
And Solid Snake seems to be more advanced in CQC then Big Boss in this.
Also as people have pointed out, the alert system is fucked
One guy sees you and the whole base knows, in MGS2 and 3 they had to radio it in, and you could stop them by taking them or the radio out before they get a chance or taking out the radio before hand.

Anyone have a guaranteed strat for an S on Hard for the Intel Recovery Mission?

I have the most perfect plan ever conceived in my mind, but I end up getting relfexed or a guard walks the direction I dont want him to, near the end everytime

edit: yall can watch me attempt it atleast, Im broadcasting with Twitch

Ride the truck to the base but jump out to the right as it stops and waits for the gate to open, go through the red door. Hold-up/tranq the guard in there, head down the stairs into the right boiler room and interrogate baldy for the tape. Go back up and get in the truck.

I've noticed that upon returning to the truck, if you lay down the guard takes forever to get back in; so get in and crouch and he will almost immediately get back in, then lay down.

Top Bottom