• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes |OT| Kaz, I'm already a demo

t1gerjaw

91% complete, but I already did all trophies.
Does anyone know how can I get 100%? I really hope it doesn't involve doing every trial.

kubus

91% complete, but I already did all trophies.
Does anyone know how can I get 100%? I really hope it doesn't involve doing every trial.
Unlocking all trials, also S-Ranking every mission on both Normal and Hard. You don't need to complete every trial, just unlocking them is enough.
You unlock more trials by completing already unlocked ones (check the trials screen on the main menu to see which missions still have unlockable trials)

98% here. Just three more trials left, which should be do-able in two missions. Almost there...

Timeaisis

Unlocking all trials, also S-Ranking every mission on both Normal and Hard. You don't need to complete every trial, just unlocking them is enough.
You unlock more trials by completing already unlocked ones (check the trials screen on the main menu to see which missions still have unlockable trials)

98% here. Just three more trials left, which should be do-able in two missions. Almost there...

Damn. I have to go back and S-rank missions on Normal. Didn't realize that. Well, it'll be easy at this point, at least.

I love this demo game, if only for its sheer replayability. 7 hours in, done 44% of the game. I also found it a little difficult to shed some old metal gear-isms I accumulated for some years, biggest one being guards now watching also on a vertical viewpoint. But I gladly enjoy it, and frankly the "marking" mecanism has been decried but I feel like it adds to the game. Same with reflex mode, you can turn it off anyway you want and using it adds a malus to your score, everyone's happy

But the game is not without defaults. Bboooooy once you do the daytime mission, you really feel Fox Engine was made with old gen's specs in mind. The pop-up is much more noticeable and quite horrible frankly, especially when you run like hell, with bushes, posts and whatnot appearing at the last moment.
Also it's a shame for a MGS game but controls aren't as tight as you'd expect. Several times I was screwed over because Snake didn't go over that pile of rubble, or got stuck around a corner.
Also, looking around corners is more difficult now.

They also tried to nerf the paralyzing gun by adding bullet drop and some shaking when you aim in first person
why can't we hold our breath for aiming anymore by the way ?
but it's still as broken as ever. Your best friend for perfect runs.
my record is a 50meters headshot or something with it

But globally, MGSV GZ is loads of fun (and chock-full of easter eggs, especially in its PS4 version) and a great prologue to TPP. The wait is going to be agonizing.

SJRB

Gold Member
i really hope they change how alerts work. instantly sending the entire base on alert without using the radio is quite annoying.

I suppose it's a balancing choice. If you get spotted and the soldier has to call in the alert it gives you an additional 5 seconds to take him out, making sloppy gameplay less punishing.

Spaghetti

I suppose it's a balancing choice. If you get spotted and the soldier has to call in the alert it gives you an additional 5 seconds to take him out, making sloppy gameplay less punishing.
i mean for balance issues i understand it, but i kind of want the tactical element of shooting out radios to come back.

in other news, once i finally 100% this i can stop worrying about ranks and start playing the game how i like again instead of obsessing over time, alerts, kills, reflex, etc.

Gestault

idZ40nh9aYpXe.gif

Linconan

Finally got to have a Game today, whoohoo (AU)
Au release stuff around..
Ebay stuff around..
So, finally downloaded it through PSN Last night.

All indicators off.

*sogood.gif

Will bunker down into it soon. Had to stop it, so i can fix a speaker in my system. Threw me completely off of it and i will not play anymore till everything is perfect.lol

Bebpo

Banned

a lot of times the 5 second slow motion time doesn't help because the enemies are out of range of my weapons. Especially if trying to go for no kills with tranq and its short range.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
Man, what the hell with Intel Operative Rescue mission in Hard. That stun gun sucks so much... :/

Salaadin...
tumblr_m2p9fvey6I1ql3a4xo1_500.gif

How can you do that ? I only have the Mother Base songs and a tape I picked up.

Current-gen? You need to wait for proper media features to import music. If you are playing on last-gen, then you're fine. You just need to get music on your hard drive via USB or something. Don't know the exact specifics because I haven't done it myself, just know that the current-gen versions are lacking that feature at the moment.

Sh0k

Just got the game for XBOX ONE, anyone experiencing sound problems when playing the game using DTS? There is a lot off static noise and crackling sound, everything sounds perfect when changing the sound to Dolby Digital.

Carbonox

Where the fuck is the Classified Intel Data tape? No guides I'm reading are helpful as every guy I'm coming across does not know shit about it.

Edit: Classic moan and you shall receive technique worked a charm. Had to hunt for a dudebro to hunt the dudebro who gave me the second tape.

He's been saying shit like this for a while. Whether he's actually pissed or not, Konami wouldn't be letting him say it if he was actually working with them.

Yea at first I was hopeful he'd play solid in TPP but the saltier he gets the less and likely that seems to be true.

woen

tumblr_m2p9fvey6I1ql3a4xo1_500.gif

Current-gen? You need to wait for proper media features to import music. If you are playing on last-gen, then you're fine. You just need to get music on your hard drive via USB or something. Don't know the exact specifics because I haven't done it myself, just know that the current-gen versions are lacking that feature at the moment.

Ok thanks, I'll wait for an hypothetical PS4 update then.

Yea at first I was hopeful he'd play solid in TPP but the saltier he gets the less and likely that seems to be true.

Well, I definitely do not think he is "in on anything". I think it is pretty clear he has no idea if Kojima intends to use him again. I'm betting on the sad but not surprising Solid Snake recast in a Metal Gear remake, simply because he would probably want to make the age difference apparent. It would be disappointing though, the worst part in this is just how he has been cast aside.

CloudNein

I have a few grievances with this game. The PS3 version graphics in the daytime, to me, are just flat-out bad. I can't give it a break at all. I'm going to have to go back and play MGS4 but I think that game trumps it visually, not to mention the frames drop like mad even without the action picking up. With the rain and night setting though I'll give it to the fox engine (and general lighting).

Ok, no cardboard box..but really, no cigar to use in game? The main menu screen isn't enough. That was one of the cool things I liked upon booting up MGS3. BB smokes cigars, SS smokes wimpy cigarettes. C'mon koji.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
There's just one big problem I have with the game: fake checkpoint saves.

As in, they save the general state of your mission objectives but reset most other things. Hijacked vehicles end up back where they were, and sometimes guards respawn next to incapacitated guards (who for some reason haven't reset) and raise an alert.

I hope this works differently in Phantom Pain because it's disheartening seeing so much of my progress wiped away.

EekTheKat

Some random thoughts :

The GET DOWN "feature" has been in MGS3 and I think Peace Walker, it's also identical in that
it keeps the guards locked down until they are discovered or there's an alarm

I think the improvements in CQC makes it far better than the previous games in the series, once I figured out
you can chain moves off of the (punch punch punch) PPP combo.

At any point of the PPP combo you can chain it into a "finisher" of sorts.

Grab
Throw
Disarm

Punch twice, flow directly into throw is a possibility
Punch twice, chain into disarm.
Punch Twice, chain into grab

Or simply end the combo with a punch.
It's tremendously more flexible than the old system

There's also the chain CQC throw that was present in Peace Walker.

Given that it's pretty damn flexible, you can take out multiple guards with some careful planning with relative ease.

Also, the animations are positively brutal. The slam a guard's head into the wall with the corner grab is very satisfying to pull off.

All of Big Boss's melee moves are straight to the point, nothing super fancy. And you never really feel out of control given how flexible it is.

Big Boss's haymaker is almost as good as the one in Deus Ex.

FEFpJcT.jpg

He deleted it, but if anyone thinks he's secretly going to be in The Phantom Pain... he's way too salty.

I still believe all of this is the most elaborate ruse ever. Hayter will be in the game, voicing Solid Snake in the post-credits sequence. I'm betting 20$ on it.

EekTheKat

This game just feels held back by being on PS3/x360. Outside of visuals some of the things in game feel like "cleanup" of sorts to reduce memory usage.
stacking too many guards/bodies in one area for example will cause some to pop in and out

After spending a good amount of time with this game, I'm curious to know how other MGO fans think TPP will play with the new mechanics.

The auto-aim is more precise and accurate as ever, coupled with health regeneration, these two things could absolutely ruin it.

Weapon switching, being able to switch weapons so easily instead of reloading in the middle of a firefight with R2 was a huge bonus. Hopefully it will make a return for online since I doubt binoculars and codec calls will be useful.

Sprint, could be a good thing, or a bad thing.

Hard to say but I have a feeling it might end up being just an average online TPS.

Loxley

After spending a good amount of time with this game, I'm curious to know how other MGO fans think TPP will play with the new mechanics.

The auto-aim is more precise and accurate as ever, coupled with health regeneration, these two things could absolutely ruin it.

Weapon switching, being able to switch weapons so easily instead of reloading in the middle of a firefight with R2 was a huge bonus. Hopefully it will make a return for online since I doubt binoculars and codec calls will be useful.

Sprint, could be a good thing, or a bad thing.

Hard to say but I have a feeling it might end up being just an average online TPS.

I'm not too concerned. While I enjoyed MGO in the time I spent with it - there was something about playing a multiplayer shooter with MGS4's combat mechanics that always just felt weird to me. The way that game played felt like it was stuck in an awkward place between the mechanics of MGS3 and trying to modernize itself with the more contemporary shooters of the time. So I guess in that sense MGO managed to be a fairly unique experience, but not in the way that I would have liked.

Ground Zeroes, on the other hand, feels like a much more natural evolution of the formula. Kojima managed to update the series' mechanics while still making it feel distinctly Metal Gear. I get your concerns about regenerating health and the aim-assist, and in that regard we'll just have to wait and see. But honestly, I feel like with everything that the industry as a whole has learned about how design multiplayer shooters over the last generation - Kojima and Co. could come up with something pretty cool.

There's just one big problem I have with the game: fake checkpoint saves. I hope this works differently in Phantom Pain because it's disheartening seeing so much of my progress wiped away.

Yeah, I once took all of the prisoners in a level, loaded them up into a car and parked it somewhere safe. Come time to extract everyone in a fiery escape scene... Everyone was lying on the ground in a pile. Way to ruin that #NEXTGEN feel. smh

/jk

(still, man that ruined that playthrough, I think I just ended up abandoning them, feels real bad man)

Bebpo

Banned
Couple of questions:

1) The watch tower near the security building. There's a bunch of fire escape type stairs on the outside wall that looks like you should be able to flip over the rail and descend that way into the main area quickly. But it doesn't let me flip over. Are those stairs just for show and you can't interact with them?

2) How do you unlock the final Side Op?

3) Is it better after you put someone to sleep to kick them and wake them and then tell them to get down since they'll stay neutralized longer, so less of a chance they'll wake up at the end of the mission and be in your way again.

Man, I learned two things today that made this game SO MUCH EASIER. Was struggling to get good grades and getting alerts and retries stacked up every mission. This is what helped a lot:

1) What someone said about RUNNING AWAY IF ALERT GOES OFF and then hide for a minute and the alert is called off. You still get an alert but that's better than a retry and keeps the flow of the game.

2) Covered vehicles are awesome! As long as you don't run into anything/anyone and don't fire any weapons you can move through the level undetected! This helps a lot I've found for taking a truck after mission objectives are done to near the landing zone and then dispatching the 1 or 2 guys around the zone and getting on the helicopter all quick.

3) If you don't mind bad ranks and lots of negative points, the starting rifle with suppressor is AWESOME. Using the first person aim you can take out so many guys and security cameras and everything as an undetected ninja from far. Very easy to get through the levels completely undetected if you murder like crazy with suppressor. Now once suppressor breaks, you're fucked, but all fun and games until then!

4) FIRST PERSON SHOOTING, holy crap! This is basically essential in MGSV. I was struggling a lot because the stupid Tranq gun has the worst reticule ever in over the shoulder and unless you're like right in the guy's face, half the time you don't get a headshot instant ZZZ. But with first person it's a lot easier to get headshots from a distance and some of the weapons like rifles have fantastic headshot range in first person. Now I play it like MGS1-3 and do all my shooting in first person.

Great game! Hope they announce a release date for PP at E3 or TGS (and hopefully it'll be early/spring 2015 like MGS4 was June).

jett

D-Member
I find hard mode intensely frustrating in this game due to the shit manner in which it does checkpoints. I don't feel inclined to try shit out, kinda wish it had a save anywhere option like most PC games do.

Bebpo

Banned
5) Also, how do you JUMP? I heard people say the animation is different than the old demo of arms flailing which makes me believe you can jump, but I have no idea how and have never done it.

I find hard mode intensely frustrating in this game due to the shit manner in which it does checkpoints. I don't feel inclined to try shit out, kinda wish it had a save anywhere option like most PC games do.

The full game is going to need save anywhere or places you can go save at so you can control your saves. It's an open world game. Needs save anywhere and fast travel.

I don't like the checkpoint/saving system AT ALL, but I'm ok with it being more limited within bases and set-pieces to keep the challenge so you can't save after every guy you down. At least if you don't care about your score you can always get to the next save point, trigger alarms, and hit pause menu -> restart from checkpoint and be back where you were with no alarms going.

Also, I kind of feel like if you want to try stuff out and mess around, you gotta do it on normal and not care about your score and just have a good time. Otherwise if you're going for score, especially on hard you gotta be fairly precise and by the books.

Whats shit about the checkpoints? I honestly have no idea how it works here.

Never been a fan of save anywhere as it absolutely destroys any sense of challenge since you can just save-scum every few feet, but an anytime suspend/resume should be standard in all games. Maybe one day it'll be standard across the consoles. Some day.

But yeah, what sucks about it? Everybody seems to handle open world saving in their own way.

Bebpo

Banned
Oh and 6) There tips section said if you piggyback a guard it sort of camouflages you and guards can't see you as easily because they think you're helping the passed out guard. I tried this for a side op during the day and ran around holding a dude but people still got suspicious from a distance and I don't really know if it helped. Is there a trick to it? Trying to figure out all the options I have for sneaking past guys when there's no way behind them and it's broad daylight.

Betty

Banned
5) Also, how do you JUMP? I heard people say the animation is different than the old demo of arms flailing which makes me believe you can jump, but I have no idea how and have never done it.

Walk or run off a high enough ledge and hit triangle/Y I think.

I feel like with everything that the industry as a whole has learned about how design multiplayer shooters over the last generation - Kojima and Co. could come up with something pretty cool.

This is what worries me, instead of trying to do they're own thing, they're going to take what the industry learned and build on that.

Top Bottom