• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes |OT| Kaz, I'm already a demo

pupcoffee

Argh... Damn you Kojima for making such awesome but spoilerific trailers... Thanks for the explanation, I'll see if I can hold out a bit longer :p.

I imagine it will be quite the experience if you go into Phantom Pain completely blind, especially after becoming accustomed to Ground Zeroes.

Solidino

kojima is a genius and have an incredible immagination and ability to surprise the gamers.

The badge
on the BB's body
is awesome.

Standing Ovation.

Hasney

Perhaps TPP ps4 will look like this

Possibly. Because it was announced so early, they were probably doing the same thing as Ubi with Watchdogs and using a target PC for the reveal. They were just more realistic with regards to specs than Ubi were.

jett

D-Member
Perhaps TPP ps4 will look like this

Probably not, TPP in the 2013 trailer doesn't look like that. Maybe they ditched several of those post process effects to achieve a locked 60fps. The way light behaves in that video is decidedly different and more natural looking than what Ground Zeroes looks like.

Ban Puncher

Bought it this afternoon on PS4 as it was released in Australia today. Finished it a couple of hours later with a real sloppy initial run through. Game looks and controls good, can't wait to replay and do the side stuff.

But I hope Kojima got Sutherland out of his system because he is awful.

SJRB

Gold Member
But I hope Kojima got Sutherland out of his system because he is awful.

image.php

Not a chance.

Carbonox

Have I missed something or the ongoing offer on Zavvi is somehow "bomba"?

24.56€ (£19.99) for all versions, including PS4/Xbone?

http://www.zavvi.com/offers/metal-gear.list?s=metal+gear+solid

Zavvi had it for 19.99 even before release at certain times (switching back and forth or being in tandem with voucher codes as they often do). Even doing a deal if you bought Infamous with it.

I got my PS4 version for 23 quid on Amazon UK which I had preordered for release.

I think it's less bomba and more retailers selling it more respectable prices.

Spaghetti

not quite sure what planet people are living on when calling sutherland awful. did you people not play mgs3-4-peace walker? even some of the more lacklustre delivery from sutherland is better than the last ten years of hayter.

Ban Puncher

Whenever there was radio banter between Boss and Miller, I had no idea who was talking at times. Then 24 Guy is yelling at me because that's the only character Sutherland can do.

Jack Bauer does a great Jack Bauer but Jack Bauer does a terrible Boss because he is not Jack Bauer.

Probably not, TPP in the 2013 trailer doesn't look like that. Maybe they ditched several of those post process effects to achieve a locked 60fps. The way light behaves in that video is decidedly different and more natural looking than what Ground Zeroes looks like.

2 differences off the top of my head i remember from the 2012 video.

Skullface chopper scene- Rain actually lands on his hat.
Gameplay- Smoke actually moves/interacts when the chopper is near, or when you walk through it.

My guess is that it was slightly downgraded because 60fps.

Salaadin

Ahh OK. I haven't compared anything myself yet.

I'm still holding out hope for better textures and AA on ps4/xbo TPP. If they are taking feedback on things like that say they are, I hope enough people request it for them to try.

Though I'm not sure if I want it if it causes the loss of 1080p60

That was my exact first impression too, but keep playing and you'll remove 'shitty filler' from your description - the side ops are awesome, and better than the ground zeroes mission. I've put over 10 hours into the game, and it plays unbelievably well. Keep at it, it's the kind of game that gets better the better you get.

Yeah I'll give it more time and see if it changes

squadr0n

I think Jeff from GiantBomb had it right when he said that they used Kiefer Sutherland for Big Boss in MGSV. That way when Big Boss and Solid Snake finally meet up they wont be both voiced by David Hayter. The amount of dialog not reordered for Big Boss in Ground Zeroes is ridiculous. There are complete missions where you dont here snakes voice even once!

Erigu

I think Jeff from GiantBomb had it right when he said that they used Kiefer Sutherland for Big Boss in MGSV. That way when Big Boss and Solid Snake finally meet up they wont be both voiced by David Hayter.
Except the Japanese voice actor wasn't replaced.

I actually like Sutherland's delivery of Big Boss. I went back and was watching Peace Walker: The Movie and after hearing Sutherland in Ground Zeroes, Hayter sounded like he was trying way too hard. Which I never felt in the past, I felt like Hayter WAS Snake and I was initially upset when they announced Sutherland would be voicing Boss in MGS5. So I for one, actually like the change. Not that I want to bash Hayter's work in the past because his voice work on Snake in MGS-MGS4 is iconic.

I think Jeff from GiantBomb had it right when he said that they used Kiefer Sutherland for Big Boss in MGSV. That way when Big Boss and Solid Snake finally meet up they wont be both voiced by David Hayter. The amount of dialog not reordered for Big Boss in Ground Zeroes is ridiculous. There are complete missions where you dont here snakes voice even once!

It'll be at the end of Phantom Pain - post credits - BB giving Solid Snake his brief for Metal Gear.

I actually like Sutherland's delivery of Big Boss. I went back and was watching Peace Walker: The Movie and after hearing Sutherland in Ground Zeroes, Hayter sounded like he was trying way too hard. Which I never felt in the past, I felt like Hayter WAS Snake and I was initially upset when they announced Sutherland would be voicing Boss in MGS5. So I for one, actually like the change. Not that I want to bash Hayter's work in the past because his voice work on Snake in MGS-MGS4 is iconic.

4 felt like he was getting lucky.

PW was just odd.

#TeamSutherland

Whenever there was radio banter between Boss and Miller, I had no idea who was talking at times. Then 24 Guy is yelling at me because that's the only character Sutherland can do.

Jack Bauer does a great Jack Bauer but Jack Bauer does a terrible Boss because he is not Jack Bauer.

And Hayter does a great Solid Snake but is a terrible Big Boss because he is not Solid Snake.

Timeaisis

So GAF, how the hell does one S-rank Eliminate the Renegade threat on hard? And yes, I know about the Sniper Rifle in the back of the truck. Whenever I shoot them with it from the tower someone inevitably spots me.

Griss

not quite sure what planet people are living on when calling sutherland awful. did you people not play mgs3-4-peace walker? even some of the more lacklustre delivery from sutherland is better than the last ten years of hayter.

Look, voice acting is completely subjective. I loved Hayter and his cartoon growl, and aside from Peace Walker, he delivered some of my favourite performances in gaming history. I thought he was 10/10 as Snake. Tons of people agree with me. And tons of people agree with you.

Just let's not pretend that there's a right or wrong, or a consensus. Because there isn't.

And secondly, even if Hayter was awful, that doesn't mean that people aren't entitled to think that Sutherland is also awful.

EDIT: I'm not saying I think Sutherland is bad, he hardly says a damn word in Ground Zeroes. In fact, I'd be interested in what people think is the best place to listen to him. I have every tape.

kubus

So GAF, how the hell does one S-rank Eliminate the Renegade threat on hard? And yes, I know about the Sniper Rifle in the back of the truck. Whenever I shoot them with it from the tower someone inevitably spots me.
Hmm, I outlined my strategy for that mission here, but it's with the sniper rifle in the tower.

Make sure you do everything quick and take out the guy at the truck on your right and the other dudes that are in that area. I try to kill the bald guy while he's walking with the two other guards and then kill the target in the watch tower right away. Don't waste time getting the "target located" sound, you can kill them without Kaz confirming you found the target.

Good luck!

Yea I had a hard time with this as well. Sutherland just isn't very interesting as BB. We'll see how TPP ends up tho.

Is there any way to not trigger alarms right off the bat in the antiaircraft side mission? The guy on the radio says my boat was spotted, wtf.

Timeaisis

Hmm, I outlined my strategy for that mission here, but it's with the sniper rifle in the tower.

Make sure you do everything quick and take out the guy at the truck on your right and the other dudes that are in that area. I try to kill the bald guy while he's walking with the two other guards and then kill the target in the watch tower right away. Don't waste time getting the "target located" sound, you can kill them without Kaz confirming you found the target.

Good luck!

Ah, OK. This is similar to what I was doing yesterday, but not quite the same. I completely forgot about tranqing that guy to the left near the tents. He's probably the one that keeps spotting me, that bastard.

Thanks, I'll try this when I get home tonight. After this, I just need to S GZ on Hard and I'll be done!
No small task.

SJRB

Gold Member
Is there any way to not trigger alarms right off the bat in the antiaircraft side mission? The guy on the radio says my boat was spotted, wtf.

That guy on the radio says the attack force's boats got spotted, not yours. So no, there is no way around the alert.

Ban Puncher

And Hayter does a great Solid Snake but is a terrible Big Boss because he is not Solid Snake.

But Snake Eater is arguably the best game in the series with Hayter as Big Boss.

I also haven't found much silliness in GZ but I am amusing myself by hurling knocked out enemies into the sea.

Zen

Banned

I really disagree with this at least in that he makes a bad big boss. Hayter is good but the major difference between the two is that jack Bauer boss is more of a raspy whisper where as Hayter was shout talking most of the time. They are both virtually identical in practice but Snake now sounds a bit more natural and the lower tone gives more range to delivery.

I wish Snake wasn't a near-mute in the game. You'd think the commander of MSF would y'know...command. In the helicopter at the end
he never once barks an order. After seeing that Miller was alive, wouldn't he say "take us down?" Or ask Kaz what happened instead of staying silent.

Robin Atkin Downes sounds like he had a lot of fun recording the Deja Vu mission dialogue.

cackhyena

But Snake Eater is arguably the best game in the series with Hayter as Big Boss.

I also haven't found much silliness in GZ but I am amusing myself by hurling knocked out enemies into the sea.
Kojima has said the tone wouldn't fit the goofy things you can normally come across in MGS. He said that stuff will return in TPP, though.

Woffls

Really enjoying just replaying these missions and playing different ways. I like reflex mode as well. I still play the same way as MGS4, but there's nothing like being spotted and landing a 30yd headshot with the tranq gun.

This game is just a joy to play, which is quite novel for this series. Shame there's no tranq sniper in the demo.

cackhyena

Can anyone remember their longest tranq shot recorded? Mine was 67 yards, but it was kind of luck. The bullet drop in this is kinda bs. I was expecting Battlefield attention to detail in that area for some reason.

Top Bottom