• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes |OT| Kaz, I'm already a demo

JayEH

If that's true why does he have that bizarre accent that sounds like an american doing a bad impression?

Because they hired an american to do a bad (great) impression.

Edit: Looking at some of the responses to my "Liquid grew up in England" post, I'm surprised this isn't common knowledge. I'm pretty sure that was obvious from the last game.

Unless people are getting confused between Liquid Ocelot and Liquid Snake who are two different characters.

After some time meditating on it, I'm very happy with Ground Zeroes. It's short, but what it delivers is a fantastic sneaking experience. I can't wait for Phantom Pain.

SJRB

Gold Member
Just did a Ground Zeroes run where I rescued Paz first. Narrative-wise it's super boring. No awesome extraction music when saving Paz and the cutscene for when you reach Chico is different as well. Boss doesn't inspect Chico's legs and there's no communication with Kaz.

There is a weird audio oversight though where I could hear the other prisoners asking for help too, but I already rescued them and carried them to the extraction point so there wasn't actually anyone there.

Next time I'll just go back to extracting Chico first like lord Kojima intended. Much cooler.

Revven

Okay, literally the best theme I could think of importing for my helicopter pick-up music was "With your XXX, Pierce the Heavens!" from Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann (for those unfamiliar here's the song).

It builds up so well and when it gets good, it makes for some sublime escape music -- like you feel like you were triumphant. It's amazing to hear it, especially when the helicopter is leaving and you get that awesome view of the base. I actually also like how it sounds in-game, because they're trying to make it sound like it's coming from the radio or whatever.

It felt so good when I was carrying a prisoner to the nearest Landing Zone and had called my helicopter and the music started playing.

I also got all the XOF Patches, which let me tell you, took forever. They are soooo tiny and it's so specific where they want you to stand sometimes. I really hope they're not littered throughout The Phantom Pain, assuming they're going to even be a main collectible again (which obviously I don't know that they will be).

Gonna try and get some better ranks on the other missions and maybe try some on Hard next time I play. I really love how this game controls.

Protag

Banned
Okay, literally the best theme I could think of importing for my helicopter pick-up music was "With your XXX, Pierce the Heavens!" from Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann (for those unfamiliar here's the song).

It builds up so well and when it gets good, it makes for some sublime escape music -- like you feel like you were triumphant. It's amazing to hear it, especially when the helicopter is leaving and you get that awesome view of the base. I actually also like how it sounds in-game, because they're trying to make it sound like it's coming from the radio or whatever.

It felt so good when I was carrying a prisoner to the nearest Landing Zone and had called my helicopter and the music started playing.

I also got all the XOF Patches, which let me tell you, took forever. They are soooo tiny and it's so specific where they want you to stand sometimes. I really hope they're not littered throughout The Phantom Pain, assuming they're going to even be a main collectible again (which obviously I don't know that they will be).

Gonna try and get some better ranks on the other missions and maybe try some on Hard next time I play. I really love how this game controls.

Breh i love you

And im stealing your idea

Also, when i do get song, how do i put it on the ps3?

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
After some time meditating on it, I'm very happy with Ground Zeroes. It's short, but what it delivers is a fantastic sneaking experience. I can't wait for Phantom Pain.

The sneaking experience is great but I got sick of the locale quite quickly. I was doing the same things in every mission, just sometimes I would end with a prisoner on a helicopter instead of just myself and a tape someone dropped.

TPP pls.

Revven

Breh i love you

And im stealing your idea

Also, when i do get song, how do i put it on the ps3?

You have to put the song on a USB device (like either a SD Card and then put the SD Card in an SD Card reader or a flash drive) and then stick it in one of the USB ports. Then you'd go to your music and wait for the USB Device to show up. Once it's shown up, highlight it and press triangle and click "Display All". Once it's loaded everything on the drive, go to the music file and press triangle and hit "Copy". It should copy it to the PS3.

Thennnn for Ground Zeroes just go to the Cassette Tapes option at the main menu and click "Import Music". You'll be able to import the song from the PS3 and then you can just set it as your helicopter theme.

It's soooo good.

JayEH

It only seems to show Fastest Marking of All Enemies. Is that the only trial?

You have to unlock them by completing the previous trial. So if you want the trail after Fastest Marking of All Enemies you have to mark all the enemies.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
ALL of the Metal Gear games have cheesy dialogue/acting in English. Part of the charm for me.

It sounds terrible to me. Maybe I didn't notice it in the original because I was just impressed with any kind of voice acting. So many remnants of Japanese in there, though. Like repeating the same thing another person said with a trailing "..." or saying something like "you don't mean..." Just extremely awkward in English.

SPOILERS for The Phantom Pain (just in case for those who haven't seen the trailers):
kojima-station-02-bureau-yoji-shinkawa-05.jpg

kojima-station-02-bureau-yoji-shinkawa-06.jpg

I figured out that unlocking REX and RAY for the iDroid app require specific trial milestones.

REX - Longest headshot >300m.
RAY - Longest headshot (tranq.) > 90m.

That leaves 4 Metal Gears as ??? in the menu and I'm guessing they're the custom variants of Pupa, Chrysalis, Cocoon, and Peace Walker. Then there's 8 ??? officers left and I'm guessing they are:

The End
The Fury
The Pain
The Fear
MGS2 Snake
MGS2 Raiden
Otacon
???

Not sure about the last one; it could be anyone... Meryl, Old Snake, MGS4 Raiden, Johnny. I wonder what other trial milestones the unlocks are tied to?

Protag

Banned
You have to put the song on a USB device (like either a SD Card and then put the SD Card in an SD Card reader or a flash drive) and then stick it in one of the USB ports. Then you'd go to your music and wait for the USB Device to show up. Once it's shown up, highlight it and press triangle and click "Display All". Once it's loaded everything on the drive, go to the music file and press triangle and hit "Copy". It should copy it to the PS3.

Thennnn for Ground Zeroes just go to the Cassette Tapes option at the main menu and click "Import Music". You'll be able to import the song from the PS3 and then you can just set it as your helicopter theme.

It's soooo good.

Dont have an SD card but i do have a flash drive, will it work?

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Hell yeah, it looks like Big Boss is actually getting a dog as the Diamond Dogs mascot.
I hope the dog is not just for looks and is actually involved in gameplay somehow.

I'm kinda surprised the dogs from the opening GZ cinematic are nowhere to be found on base... unless I missed something. Haven't finished yet.

It's always been silly that Big Boss and Solid Snake sound exactly the same. I think its good that now there is a difference. I will only have a problem if it turns out that Kojima just dumps Hayter as Solid Snake all together. Especially after keeping the voice actor for Kaz and possibly Octacon/Huey.

I agree with this.

Too bad Hayter didn't see it this way and has been taking his jabs here and there. Doubt he'd be asked back now

It was a dumb decision. "Look guys, we're still calling him Snake for 3 so let's just give Hayter a ring".

I keep seeing people say this but it wasn't like that at all because the English version back then was just a translation, hiring Hayter wasn't a "dumb move" it was a faithful move in order to capture the same feeling as Kojima's original vision of the game when they decided to use Otsuka.

They hired David Hayter for Big Boss because they hired Snake's japanese voice actor Akio Otsuka for Big Boss, they chose young Big Boss to have Hayter's "Snake voice" in English because they gave young Big Boss their Snake voice equivalent in japanese. There was no different voice for Naked Snake in English because there was no precedent for one in the japanese version either, so why would they not call Hayter?

Why should it be dumber for one language and not the other? Snake Eater was a game where Kojima fully intended Big Boss to sound like Solid Snake regardless of whether it was realistic or not, you can't blame them for hiring Hayter when that is the context they had to go off of. That was just being true to what Kojima intended, not a mistake at all. And there's actually a very good reason why he chose to give Big Boss the same voice as Snake, it was to mirror the characters and show how similar they were before Big Boss went off on a different path and became Snake's enemy.

By this same logic what you should really be saying is it was dumb for Kojima to hire Akio Otsuka as Big Boss. But of course you won't say this because there's that double standard where Akio Otsuka was kept playing the role in japanese anyway and we're on the subject of coming up with reasons to rationalise Hayter's removal, saying it's to make a distinction between Big Boss and Solid Snake even when that is inconsistent with the japanese version and things like Christopher Randolph still voicing Otacon's father in Ground Zeroes which is even sillier by that notion.

That and the fact Kojima regardless of the recast Kojims is still treating the Big Boss character synonymously with Solid Snake by keeping the Snake moniker, giving him Snake trademarks and catchphrases like "Kept you waiting, huh?" and creating quirky side missions about Shadow Moses where you're not supposed to be concerned about the fact Snake sounds any different (which is an english only thing) or is technically Big Boss. It's still supposed to be nostalgic, and Miller's impressions aside I'm still confident the rerecorded dialogue isn't supposed to sound like some stranger is repeating Snake's iconic lines.

I actually like Sutherland in Ground Zeroes a lot and I think there's some fair criticsm put forth about Hayter's recent performances, but I've just never bought the "Hayter should never have been Big Boss, they're just fixing the error they made in Snake Eater/Peace Walker" argument because if it's "fixed" in English why isn't it in Japanese?

I mean if it does turn out to be the case I'll be pleasantly surprised because then it probably means we'll see Solid Snake and Hayter again but right now all evidence points to the fact that Hayter being dropped had nothing to do with that at all and it's just a positive fans are making up in their heads until the day comes when an adult Solid Snake inevitably returns and it's either someone entirerly new or maybe even Kiefer still, proving that they weren't being conscious of Big Boss deserving a unique voice at all when casting him. And if that day does come, I bet all the trashing of Hayter's previous performances and defending the way Hayter was dropped won't have helped that decision anymore than Hayter's twitter meltdowns.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Is there away to get to the area that's on the left side of the base in the middle? Where the big communications tower is. There's a gate but I see no way to jump it. I tried driving the tank through it too..

It sounds terrible to me. Maybe I didn't notice it in the original because I was just impressed with any kind of voice acting. So many remnants of Japanese in there, though. Like repeating the same thing another person said with a trailing "..." or saying something like "you don't mean..." Just extremely awkward in English.

Yep the rampant restatement of what the previous person said was present all the way back in MGS1.

nillapuddin

I figured out that unlocking REX and RAY for the iDroid app require specific trial milestones.

REX - Longest headshot >300m.
RAY - Longest headshot (tranq.) > 90m.

That leaves 4 Metal Gears as ??? in the menu and I'm guessing they're the custom variants of Pupa, Chrysalis, Cocoon, and Peace Walker. Then there's 8 ??? officers left and I'm guessing they are:

The End
The Fury
The Pain
The Fear
MGS2 Snake
MGS2 Raiden
Otacon
???

Not sure about the last one; it could be anyone... Meryl, Old Snake, MGS4 Raiden, Johnny. I wonder what other trial milestones the unlocks are tied to?

I was gunna ask you/y'all about this today.

I haven't really heard about anyone getting super into the app, but I like it a lot. I've beaten 40/50 missions I can see and my player level is 55.

So many ??? officers still

I really wish there were more available statistics for the personnel and vehicles (you have to make or recruit each asset before you can see the stats)

Which for metal gears is really inconvenient, at this point I'm just assuming custom Zeke is the best cause its listed last.

Has anyone 100% it? Some non gaffers even?

beat the game (main mission), got a B rating, 21 kills, 3 alerts, 46 mins. Don't like Sutherland as Snake, whenever he talks I see Keifer, not Snake, because he doesn't mask his voice at all. I really miss David Hayter's voice now.

Still, I was amazed at how smooth and nice the game is on PS4. Very, very good job Kojima.

I hope the dog is not just for looks and is actually involved in gameplay somehow.

I'm kinda surprised the dogs from the opening GZ cinematic are nowhere to be found on base... unless I missed something. Haven't finished yet.

Early fox egine screens showed a dog which looks like it would walk around with you, but we'll have to wait to see if that makes any sense. I think Snake's dog is the same type of dog as the ones in the intro.

That's pretty smart. I imagine you could have also waken him up and then CQC->knife (though I don't know if you can wake them up like in previous MGS)

Yeah I realized that a bit afterward.

Made the way that I thought up seem even more dumb (in a good way).

I was gunna ask you/y'all about this today.

I haven't really heard about anyone getting super into the app, but I like it a lot. I've beaten 40/50 missions I can see and my player level is 55.

So many ??? officers still

I really wish there were more available statistics for the personnel and vehicles (you have to make or recruit each asset before you can see the stats)

Which for metal gears is really inconvenient, at this point I'm just assuming custom Zeke is the best cause its listed last.

Has anyone 100% it? Some non gaffers even?

I've been googling all over trying to find list of every unlockable but no luck so far.

Some of the Officers have skills like Anti-officer, Anti-tank, and Anti-Metal Gear; letting them do more damage to those types. Metal Gears seem to level up faster with Huey or Strangelove as Leader. I have REX, RAY, Peace Walker and custom Zeke built; RAY is the only one with a skill: Anti-Metal Gear. Zeke has the highest Health / Defense; RAY has the highest Attack.

I read that someone unlocked The Pain by setting high records in either the Distance Enemy Thrown, or the Longest 2-wheel Drive trials. Grrr, I wish KJP would just tell us what the requirements are.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Fucking Hard Intel Extract.

B and A. Never an S because
either I die, the VIP dies. I don't think the fourth jeep at the anti-air/heliport slamming into the barrels is a kill for you
but I'm not sure and have to restart to make sure it doesn't count. UGH UGH UGH.

jett

D-Member
I wish you got something substantial from rescuing prisoners in the game. I think one time I got a tape and that was it.

Also, what's the point of marking the logos in Deja Vu? I got them all and I got nothing for my troubles.

ezekial45

Banned
Did anyone else have an issue with the voiceovers on PS4? For the whole intro for the GZ mission I couldn't hear any of the dialog. The background noise and music was fine, and even the guard chatter during gameplay was ok, but none of the radio chatter or lines from Snake were audible.

Has this happened to anyone else? I don't know what is up with this. I just put the game in about a half hour ago.

Okay, the Deja Vu mission was great. That's nostalgia done right.

Something that really bothered me was when
you have to recreate the helipad chaff grenade scene
and Snake says, ah this brings back memories.

Small and silly yes, but still.

Also, what's the point of marking the logos in Deja Vu? I got them all and I got nothing for my troubles.

It's there so Kojima can flex his "Word of God" e-peen over the games in the series that people liked but weren't made by him?

... Who liked MGS Touch?

Something that really bothered me was when
you have to recreate the helipad chaff grenade scene
and Snake says, ah this brings back memories.

Small and silly yes, but still.

One of my favorite gags like that was in MGS4 where you tilt the camera to be overhead, and Old Snake just waxes nostalgic for about 45 seconds straight about Overhead View, then you get a Drebin Point bonus.

I was hoping for something goofy like that here, but no dice.

ButchCat

It's there so Kojima can flex his "Word of God" e-peen over the games in the series that people liked but weren't made by him?

... Who liked MGS Touch?

One of my favorite gags like that was in MGS4 where you tilt the camera to be overhead, and Old Snake just waxes nostalgic for about 45 seconds straight about Overhead View, then you get a Drebin Point bonus.

I was hoping for something goofy like that here, but no dice.
Only here you have the wrong Snake waxing nostalgic for another Snake..? That's just retarded even if you considered MGS's goofy standards.

Top Bottom