• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes |OT| Kaz, I'm already a demo

My base is lvl70; every facility built, upgraded to lvl10; and I've completed every combat mission -- yet I still have a lot of Officers and Metal Gears appear as ???.

Does anyone know what all the unlocks for Mother Base are, and what the requirements for them are?

I've not done any Mother Base stuff yet. Does any of it earn me stuff like weapons in GZ?

No. Playing GZ and then starting MB will get you 5hrs of time in MB, which you fast-forward to speed up development, otherwise you have to wait for time to pass in real time.

Stuff you do in GZ may unlock bonus stuff in MB but if it does, I don't know what it is.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Bought this on release day and finally got around to playing it for an hour or so last night. Just goofed around trying to get a feel for the controls for the most part. I quite like how it plays. The game looks fantastic on the PS4, especially considering it's a cross-gen title. I wonder if they'll be able to keep the 60fps for the Phantom Pain.

One thing that really bothered me is the localization. It's not like the English is grammatically incorrect or anything, but what I've heard so far all comes off sounding very unnatural--like it's quite obvious that it's been translated from Japanese. Makes it even more weirder when you have people like Kiefer Sutherland doing the voice of Snake.

Maybe it's just because I haven't played the games in English since the first Metal Gear Solid, but I don't remember the previous games sounding this cheesy in Japanese, despite the ridiculous settings.

Zen

Banned
Can anyone remember their longest tranq shot recorded? Mine was 67 yards, but it was kind of luck. The bullet drop in this is kinda bs. I was expecting Battlefield attention to detail in that area for some reason.

We really should make a thread devoted to complaints with Ground Zeroes and see if we can get the attention of Konami/Kojima Productions. They have to be looking for feedback considering this is the mostly finished template for the rest of the game.

Took a break from some projects to play and get the "extract prisoners in the anti-air gun op" trophy. I love how this one scenario played out.

"Hey, let's plant these mines so that prisoners can't escape!"

*BOOM*

"CP ZULU 1 MAN DOWN THERE WAS EXPLOSION INTRUDER MAY BE HERE OVER"

MGS enemy AI. <3

Finally purchased Ground Zeroes only to find out after the download that I need an actual 360 hard drive to play it. Apparently my 16GB USB drive doesn't cut it. Luckily Microsoft refunded my purchase but it still sucks. Nice move Konami.

But Snake Eater is arguably the best game in the series with Hayter as Big Boss.

I also haven't found much silliness in GZ but I am amusing myself by hurling knocked out enemies into the sea.

It's always been silly that Big Boss and Solid Snake sound exactly the same. I think its good that now there is a difference. I will only have a problem if it turns out that Kojima just dumps Hayter as Solid Snake all together. Especially after keeping the voice actor for Kaz and possibly Octacon/Huey.

SonnyBoy

It's always been silly that Big Boss and Solid Snake sound exactly the same. I think its good that now there is a difference. I will only have a problem if it turns out that Kojima just dumps Hayter as Solid Snake all together. Especially after keeping the voice actor for Kaz and possibly Octacon/Huey.

This.

Salvatron

Back when they were showing off the initial trailers for GZ/TPP, there was a shot of Big Boss doing some "dynamic" cqc in which he stripped a gun from an enemy and shot him with it. Is this type of takedown available in GZ? Or is this only TPP material?

cackhyena

Back when they were showing off the initial trailers for GZ/TPP, there was a shot of Big Boss doing some "dynamic" cqc in which he stripped a gun from an enemy and shot him with it. Is this type of takedown available in GZ? Or is this only TPP material?
Yep. Tap L2 after initiating cqc.

One thing that really bothered me is the localization. It's not like the English is grammatically incorrect or anything, but what I've heard so far all comes off sounding very unnatural--like it's quite obvious that it's been translated from Japanese. Makes it even more weirder when you have people like Kiefer Sutherland doing the voice of Snake.

Maybe it's just because I haven't played the games in English since the first Metal Gear Solid, but I don't remember the previous games sounding this cheesy in Japanese, despite the ridiculous settings.

ALL of the Metal Gear games have cheesy dialogue/acting in English. Part of the charm for me.

Carbonox

One more mission and I've unlocked all the trials on Normal. Then it's a case of just replaying all the missions on Hard and I'll have 100%. Finally there. D:

mf.luder

No. Playing GZ and then starting MB will get you 5hrs of time in MB, which you fast-forward to speed up development, otherwise you have to wait for time to pass in real time.

Stuff you do in GZ may unlock bonus stuff in MB but if it does, I don't know what it is.

Where is this MB located? Or am I misunderstanding all together?

SCReuter

Are retailers only receiving one shipment of this game? The PS4 version has been unavailable at local stores for the past week now, and it appears to be sold out at Target.com, Walmart.com, and Toys 'R' Us.com.

Whenever there was radio banter between Boss and Miller, I had no idea who was talking at times. Then 24 Guy is yelling at me because that's the only character Sutherland can do.

Jack Bauer does a great Jack Bauer but Jack Bauer does a terrible Boss because he is not Jack Bauer.

Because you got used to hearing Hayter as his voice and associating it with the face.

I think Sutherland did a pretty decent job considering the awful dialogue in the game. Plus he didn't really get to say much

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Is marking enemies the only trial for each stage? How do I see what the trials are?

Salaadin

I agree with this.

Too bad Hayter didn't see it this way and has been taking his jabs here and there. Doubt he'd be asked back now

Where is this MB located? Or am I misunderstanding all together?

The one in the app is another off-shore facility. You can build 4 different kinds of struts:

Command Center x 1.
Barracks x 4.
Factory x 4.
Distribution x4.
Hangar x 2.

You get money from completing missions and its earned over time; use the money to recruit more soldiers (5 types), build or upgrade struts, or to search for salvage that is used in the construction of vehicles and Metal Gears.

I hope MB in TPP isn't yet another off-shore facility, I'm getting really tired of that setting. The base in TPP should be what will become Outer Heaven -- how cool would it be to infiltrate the very base we built when the inevitable Metal Gear remake hits?

Top Bottom