• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes |OT| Kaz, I'm already a demo

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder, if there was enough fan backlash, (ala silent hill 2 HD) they would at the very least do a david hayter re-dub? No facial mo-cap expenses, no body mo-cap. Just a straight forward re-dub...i'd be happy with that.

The time for backlash was when Kiefer's involvement was confirmed. Many people have already gotten used to it. I know I have.

Just played through the main mission. I really enjoyed it but there was nothing open about it, nothing at all. Oh and I keep thinking I'm playing a 24 game.

You weren't obligated to go to Chico first, you know that, right?
You could call the chopper in any place, drive any vehicle, kill everyone. What were you expecting?

Just played through the main mission. I really enjoyed it but there was nothing open about it, nothing at all. Oh and I keep thinking I'm playing a 24 game.

Kojima and many members of his team have stated that Ground Zeroes is not an open-world game, but an open-ended one, in terms of having a variety of options, whereas The Phantom Pain is completely open-world (though not GTA-style open-world, where you live a life a leisure or anything like that).

Zaverious

If you stay on the Mission Select screen for a few seconds after completing the Intel Operative Rescue,
Kojima will spin the missions around like a roulette wheel. It startled me when it first happened.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
My only issue with the entire package is the "keptyouwaitinghuh". It's just a total misread.

10 year old solid snake being voiced by hayter? Doesn't seem like it would work well. They'd have to do some big timeskip.

Fair enough, but do we know exactly what time period Phantom Pain takes place? I mean are they seriously going to make another one that fills in the gap up until Metal Gear Solid? Assuming that the plan is to fill in all the gaps.

Dunk#7

Fair enough, but do we know exactly what time period Phantom Pain takes place? I mean are they seriously going to make another one that fills in the gap up until Metal Gear Solid? Assuming that the plan is to fill in all the gaps.

Read up on the original Metal Gear games.

That part of the story already exists.

co1onel

1984. 10 Years after peace walker. Also I'll assume you meant the time period up until Metal Gear? I don't see where else they'd fit more games into. MGS4 is the end of Snake's story.

Kojima said at some point that PP is supposed to be like the end of Big Boss's story anyways.

10 year old solid snake being voiced by hayter? Doesn't seem like it would work well. They'd have to do some big timeskip.

My honest batshit crazy fucking theory?

TPP is actually two games (after all, they themselves have said TPP is "300" times bigger). The first half is Sutherland in the main role and the second half is another bait n' switch ala MGS2 and it will be a flash forward, remake of the original Metal Gear. Hayter will return (complete with his MGS1 style of delivery) and will square off against Sutherland's big boss.

The series comes full-circle and get's a proper send-off/introduces new players to Solid Snake.

Also, I think Phantom Pain itself (in a 4th wall way) eludes to the prolonged absence of Hayter himself.

co1onel

TPP is actually two games (after all, they themselves have said TPP is "300" times bigger). The first half is Sutherland in the main role and the second half is another bait n' switch ala MGS2 and it will be a flash forward, remake of the original Metal Gear. Hayter will return (complete with his MGS1 style of delivery) and will square off against Sutherland's big boss.

The series comes full-circle and get's a proper send-off/introduces new players to Solid Snake.

Also, I think Phantom Pain itself (in a 4th wall way) eludes to the prolonged absence of Hayter himself.

Kojima has said far too many times that he has no interest in remaking his past games himself. I wouldn't get my hopes up.

atr0cious

Sounds good. Imagine playing as a Young Snake and destroying a base you just spent hours pouring over.

teknix

Neo Member

How do you explain a 10 year old that sounds like he's been smoking for 30 years? Easy. Nanomachines super accelerated the aging of his vocal chords from birth. Duh

teknix

Neo Member
I wonder if the very high standards/expectations set by Japanese culture when it comes to devotion and loyalty to the company you work for has anything to do with Konami pressuring Kojima to make MGS titles even though he has made it clear many times in the past that he wanted to stop and do something else.

co1onel

I wonder if the very high standards/expectations set by Japanese culture when it comes to devotion and loyalty to the company you work for has anything to do with Konami pressuring Kojima to make MGS titles even though he has made it clear many times in the past that he wanted to stop and do something else.

Its always been Kojima's own decision. He left the team for Peace Walker and they failed miserably so he came back and tried to clean up the mess. Rising was the first project the younger team finished on their own as a kind of test for future MGS games when Kojima is no longer there
And we all saw how that turned out...

If you made an entire fictional world that many people came to love, wouldn't you be disappointed too if other people started creating stories within this universe in ways that you don't imagine fit?

JayEH

This would be absolutely awesome. I like to think that Solid Snake will at least make a small appearance in an after credits scene where Big Boss is giving him his mission orders for MG1.

But... the way Kojima seems to not care about screwing over Hayter (by not even telling him he was needed) and Hayter himself obviously still being salty about the matter, I doubt it will happen.

-Deimos

This would be absolutely awesome. I like to think that Solid Snake will at least make a small appearance in an after credits scene where Big Boss is giving him his mission orders for MG1.

There's 10 years between the start of TPP and MG. I'd rather they milk the shit out of the series and make at least another game before doing that. Can't get enough Metal Gear.

iLLmAtlc

Based on Kojima's comments about MGS2 I think he really considered the bait and switch/inserting Raiden as a mistake, I'm not sure if he'd try that again.

But man if I see Solid Snake(Deja Vu doesn't count) again and Hayter's voice doesn't come out of his mouth I'm going to be heartbroken, Kojima pls have mercy.

Finally got around to playing, instantly loved it.

(ending spoilers)
Then the ending happened. Paz :(

Why must Kojima kill off all his female heroines? I really enjoyed how Paz changed over the course of the games....

Finally got around to playing, instantly loved it.

(ending spoilers)
Then the ending happened. Paz :(

Why must Kojima kill off all his female heroines? I really enjoyed how Paz changed over the course of the games....

well Meryl ended up with probably the happiest ending out of everyone.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Rented this on a whim an just got done with the "story mode". I only airquote that cause it seemed ta me there really was no story lol. Kinda cheapo reusing the intro song again as the end credits one. Just sayin'. Snakes voice was weak, just sounded like a normal guy o_O

Anyways as for the gameplay it was totally boring. I liked the room-to-room gameplay of the other MGS games but this whole big area things just outta my league. Stop, search, move, stop, search, move, an on an on. This is not a direction I like so I guess this means I'm done with the series! Dying right at the very beginning of the game cause I fell off the cliff was pretty fun as was later tossing guys off of it! There's always redeeming value in games where ya can act a fool!

btw What madman thought holding L3 to do a move was a good idea? I pulled it off once as that command tutorial popped up then never afterwards!

Stats!!!
time: 160:38:404
alerts: 10
kills: 23
recused: 2
helicopters lost: none
retries: 20
no reflex: 0
???
score: -12790

completion ratio: 8% (with no desire to increase it)

JayEH

Rented this on a whim an just got done with the "story mode". I only airquote that cause it seemed ta me there really was no story lol. Kinda cheapo reusing the intro song again as the end credits one. Just sayin'. Snakes voice was weak, just sounded like a normal guy o_O

Anyways as for the gameplay it was totally boring. I liked the room-to-room gameplay of the other MGS games but this whole big area things just outta my league. Stop, search, move, stop, search, move, an on an on. This is not a direction I like so I guess this means I'm done with the series! Dying right at the very beginning of the game cause I fell off the cliff was pretty fun as was later tossing guys off of it! There's always redeeming value in games where ya can act a fool!

btw What madman thought holding L3 to do a move was a good idea? I pulled it off once as that command tutorial popped up then never afterwards!

Stats!!!
???

Sorry you didn't like it. I think MGS is going in the right direction with their approach on stealth.

Zen

Banned

Stats!!!
???

Sorry you did not like it, it is a clear evolution of the gameplay in MGS3 which most people loved.

well Meryl ended up with probably the happiest ending out of everyone.

It seems to be a recurring theme that
any female suffers a tragic death in the series. Meryl didn't die, but did marry diarrhea man!

The moments with Paz and her death were really shocking to me, listening to her audio journal and Chico's just makes it even worse. She was put through hell, and it turned me off the game for a couple days. The location of that second bomb... gah.

Reave

Anyways as for the gameplay it was totally boring. I liked the room-to-room gameplay of the other MGS games but this whole big area things just outta my league. Stop, search, move, stop, search, move, an on an on.

I agree to a small extent. For me, the open-world'ish setting was the best and worst thing about my experience. It was great having room to breathe without restrictive environments, corridors, etc.; however, it was also a major source of frustration as well.

I found myself getting spotted far too often for reasons outside of my control. Now, I know that's a skill thing, so I'm not denying that I can get better at the game before griping too much. But, instances like still getting spotted while hiding in dark, shadowy areas and getting spotted by an enemy that I had little-to-know way of marking beforehand still bothered the shit out of me.

I guess I never really got the feeling that I had the advantage no matter what measures I took. There'd always be someone that would see me before I could see them no matter what.

So in a way, I think GZ does lean on starting, stopping and scoping a little too much -- even for a stealth title. It sort of deprives the game from having any sort of rhythm. It's a great game no doubt, but I do think TPP could be a tad less punishing.

It has been stated said before that Metal Gear Solid V will show the transition from ‘Snake’ to ‘Big Boss’, but also the psychological reasons for this change. The character will experience ‘serious psychological damage’, according to Kojima, speaking to the French press. It will be a story of revenge that is quite cruel. The reason the game has such a dark tone is because Kojima wants to tell the story of this transition as effectively as possible.

In another interview (with 4Gamer), Kojima compares Big Boss’ situation to the one of Walter White in Breaking Bad. He is someone who kills and breaks the law, but you can understand his reasons. For those around him, he seems like a nice guy, but from another perspective you see a monster. If Solid Snake would have been in the same situation, maybe he would have chosen to do what is right. Big Boss did not, however.

To a certain extent, Kojima wants to convey Snake’s emotions through the other characters that surround him as well. One example of this is the final scene in Ground Zeroes. Kaz is expressing his anger more explicitly than Snake. But Snake too has every reason to be angry.

Either way, it’s clear that The Phantom Pain will tell the story of Big Boss’s ‘downfall’, and the beginnings of Outer Heaven as we know it from the previous games.
Snake will suffer serious psychological damage in Metal Gear Solid V

beast786

Finished the main mission. Really enjoyed the open style of mission. Also, so many little details done tight. My two issues.

1) first time I thought camera was iffy on metal gear game.
2) kojima button layouts are so different than other 3rd person shooters, needs adjusting

SiteSeer

But... the way Kojima seems to not care about screwing over Hayter (by not even telling him he was needed) and Hayter himself obviously still being salty about the matter, I doubt it will happen.

i would not put it passed both to be in on it and then shock the community with such a dramatic move. mgs2 was a huge secret; hayter, after listening to him talk in interviews and podcasts, is a really playful kind of personality that would totally do something huge for the fans.

i am of the opinion that big boss was recast because solid snake and big boss will meet and kojima doesn't want the two snakes to 'talk' to themselves in the same voice.

Gui_PT

"And Snake doesn't talk as much. He said, if he talks too much then we have to pay Kiefer Sutherland a lot more!"

Eurogamer stealth vs stealth article.

They're conscious of the VA costs because kiefer is obviously pricey. And it sounds like dialogue has been shaved down because of that. Seems like a lot of sacrifice and expense for the sake of a name on a box...not a very good one at that.

What a way to take a quote out of context

SMZC

i am of the opinion that big boss was recast because solid snake and big boss will meet and kojima doesn't want the two snakes to 'talk' to themselves in the same voice.

If that were the case, though, they would have changed the Japanese voice actor as well for MGSV.

cackhyena

Finished the main mission. Really enjoyed the open style of mission. Also, so many little details done tight. My two issues.

1) first time I thought camera was iffy on metal gear game.
2) kojima button layouts are so different than other 3rd person shooters, needs adjusting
Before ever starting a game, I set the controls to Action...I think that was the name. Everything is as it should be for me.

Nibel

Spent 10+ hours with it and will play until I get all trophies

Paying 25 Euros for it was worth it, lots of things to do and to learn

Scott667

I've played through the main mission a few times now and my feelings are mixed. I really like how ambitious it is for advancing the stealth and open-endedness of the series, but at the same time that means that I need to 'unlearn' everything I've taught myself about MGS over the past 15 years. One major difference that I still can't figure out is how long guards are meant to be knocked out for.

In previous games you could tell how long it would take for an unconscious guard to wake up by the number of stars/z's over their head. However, now guards will always show 3, regardless of how long it has been. To make things worse, I've had a guard wake up less than a minute after knocking him down (on normal, and without another guard waking him up), and then spot me, ruining an otherwise perfect sneak-through. If this where an isolated incident I could forgive it, but I've had so many guards wake up quickly (and conversely, guards that seem to sleep forever) that it is causing me to get really frustrated with what is otherwise a great game.

Does anyone know how sleep is meant to work here?

I've played through the main mission a few times now and my feelings are mixed. I really like how ambitious it is for advancing the stealth and open-endedness of the series, but at the same time that means that I need to 'unlearn' everything I've taught myself about MGS over the past 15 years. One major difference that I still can't figure out is how long guards are meant to be knocked out for.

In previous games you could tell how long it would take for an unconscious guard to wake up by the number of stars/z's over their head. However, now guards will always show 3, regardless of how long it has been. To make things worse, I've had a guard wake up less than a minute after knocking him down (on normal, and without another guard waking him up), and then spot me, ruining an otherwise perfect sneak-through. If this where an isolated incident I could forgive it, but I've had so many guards wake up quickly (and conversely, guards that seem to sleep forever) that it is causing me to get really frustrated with what is otherwise a great game.

Does anyone know how sleep is meant to work here?

I timed a few ways earlier:

Combo beatdown: 30min.
Tranq (headshot): 5min.
Choke-out / CQC slam: ~4min.
Carry > Throw / Push forward or into something: 1min.
Reflex Magazine to the head: 10sec.

Top Bottom