• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes |OT| Kaz, I'm already a demo

I want Hayter to return, but I finally listened to some Peace Walker tapes, and he's unbearable, especially in the Chico tapes talking about Paz. It's just bad voice acting all round, and I can understand Kojima hearing that while trying to write his super serious game, cringing. Wouldn't have gelled at all.

i want Hayter too and i understand your position 100%.. but i cant really judge kiefer on a few lines of GZ ill wait for TPP to have a definite position. i still think solid snake is gonna be back in some form and hopefully is hayter and not a new voice actor cause gaf is gonna go ballistic lol but at the end of the day i bet most of the fans at the end will appreciate keifer's contribution to the series.

cackhyena

anybody tried doing a grenade/magazine only run yet?

No, but I watched a guy do it on Hard for the main mission and I want to try it out now. He had a good deal of patience, but it's totally doable. Just magazines too. No grenades.This game, man...

It was S ranked, too.

I've greatly enjoyed familiarizing myself with MGS. Snake Eater and Peace Walker were especially good. I wish I could play 1 and 4 but they're only on PS3. I'd I've thought that Kojima would've ported them over to 360 by now.

a psx emulator and ur 360 controller and you can play mgs1 just a thought

THEY PLAYED US LIKE A DAMN FIDDLE!!!!!

Come on localization team how the hell did you let that slide, probably Kojima cutting their balls off and forcing a 1:1 translation regardless of how dumb it sounds in english.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93YbvXa4Bhk

Well, their balls have been cut off since MGS2.

i want Hayter too and i understand your position 100%.. but i cant really judge kiefer on a few lines of GZ ill wait for TPP to have a definite position. i still think solid snake is gonna be back in some form and hopefully is hayter and not a new voice actor cause gaf is gonna go ballistic lol but at the end of the day i bet most of the fans at the end will appreciate keifer's contribution to the series.

Sutherland voices Solid Snake in the Deja Vu mission. Hayter ain't coming back.

Spaghetti

No, but I watched a guy do it on Hard for the main mission and I want to try it out now. He had a good deal of patience, but it's totally doable. Just magazines too. No grenades.This game, man...

It was S ranked, too.
it's so fucking funny, but can be real tricky, you need to be so very close to get it off their head before reflex mode runs out

i ended up doing it with a grenade entirely by accident because i forgot to switch weapons. it was pretty hilarious going from "i did it" to "oh shit, dive out the way of the explosion and fucking hide"

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Try and get it under five. I think you'd be good.

I don't really know how. I snipe tower dude, run and kill the second guy by his truck, take the truck and drive it to the prisoners. Then extract them.

What does the Ground Zeroes Android app do, exactly ? Will it unlock some stuff in Phantom Pain ? I just spent nearly 90 minutes in it sending soldiers to do missions and building my base. It's so addictive. Please tell me I didn't do this for nothing.

KORNdoggy

the fiddle line is hilarious, but i think it was probably an error during translation damn you kojima-san! lol btw i love kaz <3

I think it's just kojima's weird writing. Much like the utterly cringe worthy line from ocelot at the start of the phantom pain footage. "Now go...let the legend come back to life" who in gods name would ever say something like that. Kiefer must be embarrassed working opposite people when those are the lines being thrown at him. Maybe so embarrassed he doesn't even show up (hence why boss is mute through that entire scene)

I doubt i'll ever warm to kiefer as snake tbh. He just doesn't fit the roll well enough.

What does the Ground Zeroes Android app do, exactly ? Will it unlock some stuff in Phantom Pain ? I just spent nearly 90 minutes in it sending soldiers to do missions and building my base. It's so addictive. Please tell me I didn't do this for nothing.

You can sync it to your console on the same wi-fi network and use it as the game's idroid. It also lets you play all the cassettes though they have to be downloaded each if you close/reopen the app. Also, depending on how well you do in GZ, bonus officers, troops, vehicles etc. are rewarded in the mother base game.

Also, the more missions you complete you can unlock some artwork.

I think it's just kojima's weird writing. Much like the utterly cringe worthy line from ocelot at the start of the phantom pain footage. "Now go...let the legend come back to life" who in gods name would ever say something like that. Kiefer must be embarrassed working opposite people when those are the lines being thrown at him. Maybe so embarrassed he doesn't even show up (hence why boss is mute through that entire scene)

I doubt i'll ever warm to kiefer as snake tbh. He just doesn't fit the roll well enough.

Metal Gear script, Anything goes. At this point, after all the games, it just adds to the charm.

KORNdoggy

I wonder, if there was enough fan backlash, (ala silent hill 2 HD) they would at the very least do a david hayter re-dub? No facial mo-cap expenses, no body mo-cap. Just a straight forward re-dub...i'd be happy with that.

SJRB

Gold Member
I wonder, if there was enough fan backlash, (ala silent hill 2 HD) they would at the very least do a david hayter re-dub? No facial mo-cap expenses, no body mo-cap. Just a straight forward re-dub...i'd be happy with that.

Of course not. It's Kojima, he does whatever the fuck he wants, and he wants Hayter gone.

cackhyena

KyFAsML.gif

You can sync it to your console on the same wi-fi network and use it as the game's idroid. It also lets you play all the cassettes though they have to be downloaded each if you close/reopen the app. Also, depending on how well you do in GZ, bonus officers, troops, vehicles etc. are rewarded in the mother base game.

Also, the more missions you complete you can unlock some artwork.

Yeah, I know that and have done so. But is there a point to playing the Mother Base game or am I wasting my time ?

When kiefer doesn't return for the next game (which lets be serious, he won't) i wonder who he'll move onto next?

Probably another actor that fills in with the desired qualities that they got Kiefer for to begin with (facial emoting and somebody roughly at the same point in his life).

SJRB

Gold Member
When kiefer doesn't return for the next game (which lets be serious, he won't) i wonder who he'll move onto next?

You really need to stop with these bizarre logic-bending assumptions bro. I get that you really, REALLY want Hayter back but this is getting weird.

Kiefer is an actor, who acts for a living. If MGS6 involves Big Boss, and Kojima wants Kiefer back, he will be back. Because that's how it works.

It's not required that Kiefer is a hardcore MGS fan, it's not required that he has played MGS2 on Euro Extreme or has a FOX logo as a wallpaper on his phone. An actor is hired to act.

Come on man, it's over. Hayter's gone. Just let it go.

KORNdoggy

You really need to stop with these bizarre logic-bending assumptions bro. I get that you really, REALLY want Hayter back but this is getting weird.

Kiefer is an actor, who acts for a living. If MGS6 involves Big Boss, and Kojima wants Kiefer back, he will be back. Because that's how it works.

It's not required that Kiefer is a hardcore MGS fan, it's not required that he has played MGS2 on Euro Extreme or has a FOX logo as a wallpaper on his phone. An actor is hired to act.

Come on man, it's over. Hayter's gone. Just let it go.

Kojima has already stated they can't have kiefer talk too much because he costs too much. There is no way he would return. So who are they likely to use next? Consistency clearly means nothing to them (well, unless it's the original Japanese VA in which case it does) so who are likely candidates?

Why would they purposely make it worse?

Well, they've already made it worse, so you tell me?

cackhyena

Kojima has already stated they can't have kiefer talk too much because he costs too much. There is no way he would return. So who are they likely to use next? Consistency clearly means nothing to them (well, unless it's the original Japanese VA in which case it does) so who are likely candidates?
Where did he say this?

Salaadin

Where did he say this?

He didn't. Kojima said he wants less dialogue because he'd rather convey information through facial expressions and actions.

The quote in question is from Jordan Amaro:

"Jordan Amaro: He [Hideo Kojima] wanted to explore what it means to bring the franchise to an open space. He wants to try to bring the player closer to Snake by leaving all these options and reducing the amount of cut-scenes. He wants you to feel close to him, reduce the friction and see what players make of it. And Snake doesn't talk as much. He said, if he talks too much then we have to pay Kiefer Sutherland a lot more!"

Not quite the same thing as "Kiefer costs too much"

Kojima has already stated they can't have kiefer talk too much because he costs too much.
They started the whole "we want Snake to talk less" thing with Peace Walker, bro. It's really obvious they started to go with Snake being an incredibly introverted and reserved vet while Kaz does all of the talking and carries most of the dialogue, and this was a game with Hayter in it.

So who are they likely to use next? Consistency clearly means nothing to them (well, unless it's the original Japanese VA in which case it does) so who are likely candidates?
I answered this in a previous post.

KORNdoggy

Where did he say this?

"And Snake doesn't talk as much. He said, if he talks too much then we have to pay Kiefer Sutherland a lot more!"

Eurogamer stealth vs stealth article.

They're conscious of the VA costs because kiefer is obviously pricey. And it sounds like dialogue has been shaved down because of that. Seems like a lot of sacrifice and expense for the sake of a name on a box...not a very good one at that.

cackhyena

He didn't. Kojima said he wants less dialogue because he'd rather convey information through facial expressions and actions.

The quote in question is from Jordan Amaro:

"Jordan Amaro: He [Hideo Kojima] wanted to explore what it means to bring the franchise to an open space. He wants to try to bring the player closer to Snake by leaving all these options and reducing the amount of cut-scenes. He wants you to feel close to him, reduce the friction and see what players make of it. And Snake doesn't talk as much. He said, if he talks too much then we have to pay Kiefer Sutherland a lot more!"

Not quite the same thing as "Kiefer costs too much"
It's not at all. And the Amaro quote was already proved to be a joke.

"And Snake doesn't talk as much. He said, if he talks too much then we have to pay Kiefer Sutherland a lot more!"

They're conscious of the VA costs because kiefer is obviously pricey. And it sounds like dialogue has been shaved down because of that. Seems like a lot of sacrifice and expense for the sake of a name on a box...not a very good one at that.

Either you're trolling, not very good with English or you're a goddamn moron.

Because I feel like my posts were glossed, I will restate a lot of what I know and think on this situation.

They started cutting back on Snake's dialogue in Peace Walker already. Maybe not as much as in GZ but it's very apparent that the supporting cast does most of the talking and Snake makes a remark here and there. This was a game with David Hayter as Snake.

For their casting choice for mo-cap, a movie director suggested Sutherland for Kojima, so it's probable that they had a good connection that let them land a deal with Sutherland. Yes, Kiefer has star power which is great for marketing, but they've stated repeatedly that they wanted an actor that can convey expressions for a character that is not particularly mouthy (meaning that even when he's not doing VA work, he's still doing mo-cap in between).

If for whatever reason Kiefer decides to jump ship and not return to the next game, they'll just find another actor that will fufill the same goals they have with Kiefer rather than throw up their hands in defeat and kiss Hayter's feet begging for mercy. Kojima knows a director that suggested Sutherland, so it's entirely possible that director had other considerations as well.

Spaghetti

if the pay is right sutherland will come back. a job is a job.

people are also taking that amaro joke too fucking far. if people actually read the rest of the eurogamer article instead of just parroting that one quote they'd know snake having less to say was a conscious decision from both a narrative and gameplay perspective.

but ultimately i think we're leaving big boss as a protagonist after the phantom pain. it's either straight up mg/mg2 remakes or a post-mgs4 kojima game.

JayEH

Just some clarity for everyone. Kiefer is only doing facial capture for Snake, someone is doing full motion capture.

That was an obvious joke dude. Stop quoting people out of context.

Just played through the main mission. I really enjoyed it but there was nothing open about it, nothing at all. Oh and I keep thinking I'm playing a 24 game.

Top Bottom