• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes |OT| Kaz, I'm already a demo

Salaadin

That line is complete nonsense anyway. He shouldn't say anything at all.

It's there for the fans. When it was in the GZ reveal trailer, I laughed because it's been years since the last console MGS. Yes, he did keep us waiting.

In the main game, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense plus it's read so stupidly by Kiefer.

jett

D-Member
Aw yea, beat GZ on hard mode without using any weapons, killing anybody or triggering any alerts. Just took me 23 retries. :p I might as well do all the trials I guess.

It's there for the fans. When it was in the GZ reveal trailer, I laughed because it's been years since the last console MGS. Yes, he did keep us waiting.

In the main game, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense plus it's read so stupidly by Kiefer.

I know it's fan service, I think it should've just been in the trailer.

Dimorphic

Just finished it and it was great.

If this is the direction that Phantom Pain is taking (which by all reports it is) then count me hyped!

cackhyena

I timed a few ways earlier:

Combo beatdown: 30min.
Tranq (headshot): 5min.
Choke-out / CQC slam: ~4min.
Carry > Throw / Push forward or into something: 1min.
Reflex Magazine to the head: 10sec.
I tranq if I need to and just kick them awake and make them lie down. No time limit. Broken for sure, but If someone remembers the guy you tweet to for suggestions for TPP, I'd say throw this idea their way. To make that a little less broken, make it be a five to ten second animation that has you tie them up...maybe even gag them as well. For the main game it doesn't matter much, but if you're going for best time, it all of a sudden becomes a choice of which matters more. It's dumb to have a trained military officer cower for that long in fear with his rifle laying next to him. One of these guys would get up and do something about it. Make it so they physically couldn't, but impose that time addition to the counter.

I think something that would absolutely skyrocket this games replay-ability beyond the great amount it has would be to give a handful of the guards generic traits. Say one or two of the guys are hot heads on the base. So even when you get the drop on them, they'd force reflex on you, or straight up attack. Or some guys cower in fear and piss themselves. Some break routine and just go for strolls to random points on the map for a smoke. Then each replay, randomize these traits in guards. Every time it would be a different set up.

hypotc

So I just watched Toy Story 2, and this popped up in my head:

xyIXq1e.jpg

Someone should make a GIF or something, with better text.

I think something that would absolutely skyrocket this games replay-ability beyond the great amount it has would be to give a handful of the guards generic traits. Say one or two of the guys are hot heads on the base. So even when you get the drop on them, they'd force reflex on you, or straight up attack. Or some guys cower in fear and piss themselves. Some break routine and just go for strolls to random points on the map for a smoke. Then each replay, randomize these traits in guards. Every time it would be a different set up.

That sounds awesome. Also, the ones who cower in fear would shout so loud even before you take them down, thereby making other guards suspicious. Also, some guards would be extra paranoid and investigative, so even if they barely notice you, they'll never forget and go back to their post until you do something that's not running away.

cackhyena

That sounds awesome. Also, the ones who cower in fear would shout so loud even before you take them down, thereby making other guards suspicious. Also, some guards would be extra paranoid and investigative, so even if they barely notice you, they'll never forget and go back to their post until you do something that's not running away.

Yep.That's the spirit! I really hope someone is giving info to them along these lines. I don't know what it takes to implement stuff like this, but bosses shouldn't be the only unique human beings you face in these games. The realism gets notched up, as well as the tension when you add in these variables. The possibilities go so much higher to me.

Completed main game and all trials today. Really enjoyed it, once I got over the initial awkwardness with the controls and got used to scoping ahead with the binoculars before moving.

The only thing I didn't like was Keifer Sutherland's voice-acting. Not sure if it's a personal thing, if the VA is genuinely bad or if I'm just too used to hearing Hayter but either way, it didn't really click for me like I was hoping it would.

Great game though. Really excited for TPP now.

NYR94

Yep.That's the spirit! I really hope someone is giving info to them along these lines. I don't know what it takes to implement stuff like this, but bosses shouldn't be the only unique human beings you face in these games. The realism gets notched up, as well as the tension when you add in these variables. The possibilities go so much higher to me.

They did something along these lines of differentiating some of the guards in MGS2 to a small degree. When you're holding up guards for dog tags, there are some guards who you can't get to shake off the tags with just the M9 tranq gun. You need to fire a lethal weapon to scare them enough to give up the tags. Shooting them in the arm or the leg is enough to sufficiently scare them, but you could also fire a bullet past their head to do the job as well.

Rented this on a whim an just got done with the "story mode". I only airquote that cause it seemed ta me there really was no story lol. Kinda cheapo reusing the intro song again as the end credits one. Just sayin'. Snakes voice was weak, just sounded like a normal guy o_O

Anyways as for the gameplay it was totally boring. I liked the room-to-room gameplay of the other MGS games but this whole big area things just outta my league. Stop, search, move, stop, search, move, an on an on. This is not a direction I like so I guess this means I'm done with the series! Dying right at the very beginning of the game cause I fell off the cliff was pretty fun as was later tossing guys off of it! There's always redeeming value in games where ya can act a fool!

btw What madman thought holding L3 to do a move was a good idea? I pulled it off once as that command tutorial popped up then never afterwards!

Stats!!!
time: 160:38:404
alerts: 10
kills: 23
recused: 2
helicopters lost: none
retries: 20
no reflex: 0
???
score: -12790

completion ratio: 8% (with no desire to increase it)

23 kills? 20 retries? -12790 score? Yikes, MGS def isn't for you

I agree. It makes even regular enemies more than just drones.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Anyone have a guide to the locations of all doors in déjà vu? I can't find the last one

KaiserBecks

So I just watched Toy Story 2, and this popped up in my head:

xyIXq1e.jpg

Someone should make a GIF or something, with better text.

When they said games would soon use the kind of technology that was also used for Toy Story, I certainly didn't have this in mind.

atr0cious

How someone comes to the conclusion that this game play is any more boring than previous MGS titles is weird. Stop, search, move...like you did in every other MGS?

The difference is that there are objects that be legit used for cover which are more than waste height and less than waist height, which we can't really say for almost all other stealth games. Because of this, especially the ones that cover more than waist, force you to move out of your comfort zone of crouch all the time. Not being able to see where patrols are looking, especially if you didn't mark them, is different as well. It's a really subtle but noticeable change. It's obviously uncomfortable at first, and combined with the lack of active radar overwhelming. Checking every corner, watching routes for way longer than necessary, until you just have to move on faith and experience.

I still haven't beaten the main mission for the first time, because I turned everything off, and it's really kicking my ass. I like to play super ghost, no touching, so I'm constantly restarting, but it's enjoyable. Because it's so open, I can try something new every time.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
23 kills? 20 retries? -12790 score? Yikes, MGS def isn't for you
But I like MGS/2/3/Rising so how can the series not be for me? Should I retroactively dislike them now cause you say its not for me o.o? Or is this one of those "dagnabbit you should've played through the game completely perfectly your very first time through!" kind of jabs? I get those alot!

How someone comes to the conclusion that this game play is any more boring than previous MGS titles is weird. Stop, search, move...like you did in every other MGS?
The difference being is in previous games you could very quickly at a glance see every baddie in a room an almost as quickly determine their routes. Each room was kinda like a mini-puzzle of sorts. An they were fairly memorable rooms so on each revisit ya could remember what they were an even more quickly get through them. This games single large room where it takes much more then a glance or two to find nearby baddies an what they're up to is the total opposite!

cackhyena

But I like MGS/2/3/Rising so how can the series not be for me? Should I retroactively dislike them now cause you say its not for me o.o? Or is this one of those "dagnabbit you should've played through the game completely perfectly your very first time through!" kind of jabs? I get those alot!

The difference being is in previous games you could very quickly at a glance see every baddie in a room an almost as quickly determine their routes. Each room was kinda like a mini-puzzle of sorts. An they were fairly memorable rooms so on each revisit ya could remember what they were an even more quickly get through them. This games single large room where it takes much more then a glance or two to find nearby baddies an what they're up to is the total opposite!

Totally fair point and well put in your response to me. I suppose in that way, this is a pretty big shock. In your other response, it's not a matter of playing perfectly. It's giving it time. Get to know the nuances, patrol routes, secrets, etc. You're saying it's boring in one play through, seeming completely bewildered, dismissing a lot of what it has to offer.

The difference is that there are objects that be legit used for cover which are more than waste height and less than waist height, which we can't really say for almost all other stealth games. Because of this, especially the ones that cover more than waist, force you to move out of your comfort zone of crouch all the time. Not being able to see where patrols are looking, especially if you didn't mark them, is different as well. It's a really subtle but noticeable change. It's obviously uncomfortable at first, and combined with the lack of active radar overwhelming. Checking every corner, watching routes for way longer than necessary, until you just have to move on faith and experience.

I still haven't beaten the main mission for the first time, because I turned everything off, and it's really kicking my ass. I like to play super ghost, no touching, so I'm constantly restarting, but it's enjoyable. Because it's so open, I can try something new every time.

Yep, I love that it's got that much more to offer. I have yet to do a full run through with everything turned off. I'm pumped to try it out fully.

Zen

Banned
Especially considering that MGS has always been a series based on depth and details. It seems weird for someone to say that it is too open and they do not like it when it is offering the most freedom of all.

And you really do not need to speed a lot of time watching as long as you use your binoculars to pick up footstep sounds and your night vision and highlight guards in the area. I mean did you really play MGS3? It had very very few in door boxy areas. This game is basically freed from the limitations of the PS2 to not have to segment everything all the time. When that game was first being shown people thought it was going to be much more open ended and were dissapointed with how segmented the areas were, initially, not too mention that people generally love the sniper boss battle for how open ended and wide open it was for the player.

You can do the same (memorization) in GZ though it is a more open area, and not ever guard takes exactly the same path all the time, but that is where the whole gameplay part comes in instead of, like in previous games, basically playing the game via the radar screen at time.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
btw was there a point to the helicopter escape sequence where BB magically had unlimited ammo? Pretty sure I a.) didn't see a single guy to shoot at and b.) didn't hit anything/one! Was the chopper actually in danger or just a fun lil way ta unload steam by wildly shooting at crap things?

Totally fair point and well put in your response to me. I suppose in that way, this is a pretty big shock. In your other response, it's not a matter of playing perfectly. It's giving it time. Get to know the nuances, patrol routes, secrets, etc. You're saying it's boring in one play through, seeming completely bewildered, dismissing a lot of what it has to offer.
Thats the thing the first playthrough was boring and those never should be! Can't help that I prefer being active in games more then inactive! Successive replays would naturally have somewhat less downtime an more fun but this was a one day one-off rental an I hadn't the time ta replay it even once! I would've liked to try running through the base under daylight since the nighttime part was very difficult to see anything in. I know the game was supposed to be thematically dark but not so darn visually dark x.x!

Especially considering that MGS has always been a series based on depth and details. It seems weird for someone to say that it is too open and they do not like it when it is offering the most freedom of all.
Freedoms different from detail. Natasha going indepth on every last item ya pickups not the same as gameplay freedom. I'm curious how ya say this games got more freedom then previous ones? Kill guys, knockout guys, or avoid guys altogether... thats pretty much par for the course MGS-wise. Being able ta collect Paz before Chico is kinda a very minor thing an even then in the first game there were 2 ways for ya to escape from your cell (ketchup packet or wait for your ninja buddy to break you out).

I mean did you really play MGS3? It had very very few in door boxy areas. This game is basically freed from the limitations of the PS2 to not have to segment everything all the time. When that game was first being shown people thought it was going to be much more open ended and were dissapointed with how segmented the areas were, initially, not too mention that people generally love the sniper boss battle for how open ended and wide open it was for the player.
Yups! I've played it a couple of times! While the screens/rooms aren't boxy they're still roughly in the same size league as MGS/2 ones were. I for one wasn't one of them peeps brokenhearted over that game being segmented like the others were. I also didn't like The End fight for that matter!

Freedoms different from detail. Natasha going indepth on every last item ya pickups not the same as gameplay freedom. I'm curious how ya say this games got more freedom then previous ones? Kill guys, knockout guys, or avoid guys altogether... thats pretty much par for the course MGS-wise. Being able ta collect Paz before Chico is kinda a very minor thing an even then in the first game there were 2 ways for ya to escape from your cell (ketchup packet or wait for your ninja buddy to break you out).

What do you mean by avoiding guys? Do you mean trying to sneak past them whilst their patrolling, like previous games?

Rented this and finished it one sitting. Took a while to get adjusted, but once I figured out how the game works I was having such a good time. TPP can't come soon enough.

I also didn't like The End fight for that matter!

rVKRX.gif

Nah, I'm just being a dick. Interesting reading your experience with the game. I think your post is one of the first I've read of someone actually disliking the game itself! Sorry that you weren't able to enjoy it as much as a lot of your fellow GAF members have, but I do hope to see you come back for The Phantom Pain! :)

wilsonda

just finished my first ghost run-through of the main ops using only magazines to distract guards... feels badass to know that there is no evidence of my presence... other than the fact that chico and paz are missing haha

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
How do you unlock trials? Complete the one before the one marked ???

I remember someone mentioning for Hard you can beat the mission twice and they all are unlocked.

Betty

Banned
How do you unlock trials? Complete the one before the one marked ???

I remember someone mentioning for Hard you can beat the mission twice and they all are unlocked.

For Normal, just complete the 'mark all enemies trial'

For Hard just complete the missions twice.

Gui_PT

Even though I don't think Lindsay's complaints are valid, everyone's free to play the games the way they enjoy the most and free to enjoy whichever characteristics of the game they want.

I don't agree with what you're saying though.

The most fun thing I did was to use voice command on the PS4 and play Hayter's voice saying "Metal Gear!? It can't be..." and PS4 recognized it. Lol.

so i just finished the game a few minutes ago....my impressions are that there is very little amount of content in the main mission(it's to be expected here, so i am not bitching :p) much less than even the tanker mission on MGS2. i completed it will large amount of exploring and without a single alert in 71 minutes! i still haven't tries the side OPS but i will. i will also get every trophy since they aren't so difficult. it's a real shame that there isn't a platinum trophy. the gameplay is what i really liked in the game, i just hope that the phantom pain is not filled with "go grab" missions.

the graphics on the other hand are great, but the fact that the game is a cross gen is really showing. Big Boss character model is not that great, i actually think that it's a downgrade compared to MGS4 especially the hair. kiefer's VA is not that bad, but it's not great either. If kojima really wanted some else to voice BB than Richard Doyle by far is a better choice than both David and Kiefer.

Tomallica

Neo Member
Played through it last night.

Cons.

Controls are a little bit fiddly at first.

I didnt like snakes voice, just didnt suit him.
There was no conviction in his words.

Not sure on the darker theme running through the game. Doesnt feel very metal gear like.

Pros

Graphics are amazing.

AI is quality.

Open world freedom is a breath of fresh air.

Overall a very good game, cant wait for the phantom pain and to play as solid again :p

Top Bottom