• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes |OT| Kaz, I'm already a demo

MormaPope

Banned
I'd imagine then that they've got to switch out sooner than later right? As this is a 100 hour stream and I think after PW they go straight into MG1 and then MG2.

Speaking of which, would a MG1 playthrough be interesting to watch? I'm wondering if I'll be able to stomach it.

Its really neat to see just for perspective. MGS 1-3 actually share elements and mechanics introduced in Metal Gear 2. Having played both recently I actually prefer Metal Gear 1, the majority of Metal Gear fans like MG2 more.

Mellahan

Concerned about dinosaur erection.
Question for anyone who's played it or watched the streams: can you do that cool "dive" move in GZ? It was in one of the TPP trailers. Pretty slick.

I know just a few hours ago I complained about posting screenshots in this thread, but I'm going to do it now :p

I'm just embedding one screenshot, in which I tried to match the exact location and angle of the following one that DieH@rd posted earlier from the PS4 version. The one below it is from PS3.

PS4, 1920 x 1080 uncompressed png:
13162814883_5d43fd9345_o.png

PS3, 1280 x 720 uncompressed png:
13181056234_9d022034f2_o.png
This is just... I hope that by the time TPP comes out and comparisons are shown since it will still be a cross-gen title, that the difference will look much better than this because as i previously said, the differences i'm seeing is: Higher framerate/resolution, better cloud effects, somewhat better textures. And while all of those are nice, I expect a notable image difference come next game.

The main difference is the lights, on ps4 there's a bunch of lights casting shadows, while the ps3 only has one casting shadows and some lights missing completely, like the one behind the cage on the left. Daytime should look a bit closer but ps4 should have dynamic shadows drawn further away, and better light probe GI stuff.

Frankly I'm not sure. But it looks like dithering to me, which is when the game tries to make some objects semi transparent. I've seen it called alpha something...

It's called 'alpha to coverage'.
It makes it faster to draw alpha textures in geometry as you don't need to sort them manually, it also helps with their deferred lighting as each pixel represents a single solid point in space. Things like smoke and glass still need to be drawn separately from that though.

The main difference is the lights, on ps4 there's a bunch of lights casting shadows, while the ps3 only has one casting shadows and some lights missing completely, like the one behind the cage on the left.

The light on the left might be due to different position of the flash light on the guard tower off screen. I could have probably climbed the tower and adjusted the light to match the PS4 image before taking the screenshot
typically there's a guard up there that moves the light around, which you can do if you eliminate him

The light on the left might be due to different position of the flash light on the guard tower off screen. I could have probably climbed the tower and adjusted the light to match the PS4 image before taking the screenshot
typically there's a guard up there that moves the light around, which you can do if you eliminate him

Just curious but i would appreciate it if you could match the ps4 image. Thanks for posting the other images btw.

Timu

The main difference is the lights, on ps4 there's a bunch of lights casting shadows, while the ps3 only has one casting shadows and some lights missing completely, like the one behind the cage on the left. Daytime should look a bit closer but ps4 should have dynamic shadows drawn further away, and better light probe GI stuff.
PS4 version has more grass as well.

So whats the general consensus on those who have played?

- Is the game ok to follow for someone not a huge MGS fan ?
- Is it fun to replay and do different missions ?
- Is there a large variety of mission types or is it just find person, carry them to heli and leave ?

That would be cool, you're right that light should be there somewhere.

It's the tower with the white/blue light in the background in this pic http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7169/13181052284_9c476b8715_o.png

And here seen from the side/back where to can climb it http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7241/13180786455_27ceaa93d0_o.png

I'm just not sure if it stays in the position where you point it after you leave. I think I also noticed it moves on its own sometimes even without a guard present.

Holiday

Banned
Wow I just found out about the MGS HD Collection for 360. Downloading now. My spring break just got amazing, 5.5 Metal Gear games to play.

Getting my hands on this tomorrow I hope. Tried to get it earlier but no go. Still a day and a half early. I'll take it. Love being neighbors with the owner of mom and pop shop. :D

Chinner

Banned
the difference between ps3 and 4 is really pronounced, the resolution difference makes it look infinitely better, and that's without taking into account other elements that the next gen consoles have (textures, cloudz, 60fps etc). being at 1080p allows image quality to be cleaner and more detailed with the art design being less hindered by the technology.

look at those dark soul comparison shots before and after the mod to see what i mean.

Can I get a non-spoiler impression from people who have finished the game?
How's it? Is it worth buying ??? Did it make you more excited for TPP or are you worried now????

Korezo

I'm a huge mgs fan but can't get into this one, I can't play more than 15 mins without getting bored. I hate this game I knew this wasn't going to be for me after all the changes I've seen, at least I tried it.

Codiox

Just played this on the xbox360 and really liking the stealh parts.also the story seems interesting.i never cared / played MGS. Can i just start with MSGV or do i have to play the other parts first??

Just played this on the xbox360 and really liking the stealh parts.also the story seems interesting.i never cared / played MGS. Can i just start with MSGV or do i have to play the other parts first??

One imagines the story will make much more sense to one familiar with the series and characters involved. Plus the MGS games are some of the most involved, detailed, and fun games out there so there's no real reason to skip ahead. They hold up well mechanically.

Alienous

I'd suggest MGS3, but if you're ok with Ground Zeroes then you shouldn't be too bothered by the full MGSV.

But I would play MGS3 for the background it provides.

Jacobbles

The delay in the Australian release is killing me. Knowing that in other countries it's out in a couple of days or out already is doing my head in

Top Bottom