• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes |OT| Kaz, I'm already a demo

nolstagia seems to be blinding fans as to how awful hayter was.

I thought he was only really bad in Peace Walker. I had no issues with his performance otherwise. But then again I'm playing a videogame about giant robots and nanomachines and not really on a voice acting judging panel.

RetroMG

Since we can import music to be our helicopter theme, what music will you guys assign to the helicopter?

Don't have any music on my PS3 yet.

I was thinking "Everything is Awesome" from the Lego Movie. Or find some super happy kitchy J-Pop. It would just be so horribly out of whack that it would be hilarious.

We can put music on the PS4, right? Because I'm suddenly REALLY excited about this idea.

Chinner

Banned
I thought he was only really bad in Peace Walker. I had no issues with his performance otherwise. But then again I'm playing a videogame about giant robots and nanomachines and not really on a voice acting judging

panel.
just because the franchise is a little absurd doesn't give elements a free pass from criticism.

Spaghetti

If that human being is Jack Bauer.

Blame the Voice Director if anyone - Hayter sounded fine in MGS1-3.

And if you're going to actor mocap, why only face.
kojima wanted full body from the face/voice actors but it would require him to be in los angeles for too long

and kriss zimmerman-salter is still voice over director and everybody seems fine. in fact, everybody else was fine in mgs4 and peace walker too... besides hayter.

demonicmurry

Neo Member
I'm fine with Hayter. While not the greatest performance, the voice is at least memorable. I remember reading an interview with Frank Welker who voiced and still voices Megatron for the Transformers cartoon. They asked about his opinion on Michael Bay getting Hugo Weaving for the Transformers movies while keeping Peter Cullen from the cartoon to do the voice of Optimus Prime. He replied that while he wishes he was asked, he understands why his melodramatic and over-the-top Megatron voice wasn't chosen. However, when conceiving the Megatron voice for the original cartoon he knew it had to be iconic and distinct for the audience to really connect with and separate the character from the other Transformers in the series. I don't think anyone really recalls Megatron's voice from the movies, but they sure remember the voice from the cartoon.

Hayter's Snake is distinct and his inflections are individual to the character. That is what I think will be lost with Keifer Sutherland and it seems like he is just doing his regular voice. It'll definitely be something I'll have to get used to. But I will say, as "bad" as some of Hayter's VO can be throughout the series, there is a lot of nuance and some real great performances from him--especially in MGS 1,3,4. I think a lot of people are misremembering his Snake as the gravely MGS4 voice without the proper context.

just because the franchise is a little absurd doesn't give elements a free pass from criticism.

Absolutely. I guess I just don't take it as seriously. I love the franchise and the characters, but I don't get super wound up in the voice performances. I take into consideration the massive load of dialogue that the actors have to deal with, the tone of the product, etc. I thought Hayter fit nicely with the atmosphere and aesthetic right up through Guns of the Patriots, but Peace Walker was the first game where his VA was jarring to me.

LeBart

The last thing this series needs is to get even more self serious than it has since MGS4, and bringing in Hollywood voice actors isn't going to help.

Regardless of what you think of Hayter as an actor, he is that character. There's no question about that. Yes it's hammy, yes it's over the top, but it's part of what makes the character and it's one of the most iconic things in the entire series.

Saying he's awful is a pretty big overstatement.

Alienous

The last thing this series needs is to get even more self serious than it has since MGS4, and bringing in Hollywood voice actors isn't going to help.

Regardless of what you think of Hayter as an actor, he is that character. There's no question about that. Yes it's hammy, yes it's over the top, but it's part of what makes the character and it's one of the most iconic things in the entire series.

Also, saying Hayter is awful is a pretty big overstatement.

Hayter's far more representative of Solid Snake. Gruff, cold special operations soldier. That's the character Hayter was hired to play.

He doesn't do a good job of portraying the leader of a military nation. Watching the ending speech of Peace Walker makes that clear. You need a certain amount of gravitas for that. Kiefer has that gravitas.

If that human being is Jack Bauer.

Blame the Voice Director if anyone - Hayter sounded fine in MGS1-3.

And if you're going to actor mocap, why only face.

They gave him the direction of "sound old" in MGS4, and he never brought his performance back from that. In his latest efforts he sounds like he's parodying someone. Even in the MGS2 Digital Comic, the last time Hayter voiced Snake, his performance is sub-par compared to the original. Maybe he isn't capable of his original delivery anymore, but he certainly isn't up to the quality of the other actors in the game, like Robin Atkin Downes.

Alienous

He's not phenomenal in the "prequel" installments but I've loved him as Solid Snake in every single one of his turns as that character. His work in 1, 2, and 4 was terrific to me.

I liked his performance in 3 also. He's the perfect amount of jovial. He doesn't end every sentence with a guttural sound.

The difference is so stark between his performance in 3 and in Peace Walker it's amazing. His performance in Peace Walker is so damn awful.

EDIT:
Heck, he does a decent job in the dialogue recorded for Snake Eater 3D, so I don't know what's up with his consistency. It went screwy after 4.

Oh my god, Paz's 5th diary recording. LMAO WTF?

Kojima went full-perv on this, it seems.

Also really disappointed by the fact that virtually the entire original voice cast is here, including
the voice actor who does Otacon
, and yet...no Hayter.

Dude, keep this outta here, especially if you are not going to spoiler it properly.

It's funny people are freaking out over this. Understandable, since there is no context but funny. The game has Peace Walker's tapes, he listened to her 5th tape from Peace Walker, chill. Absolutely no spoilers here for Ground Zeroes guys, just Peace Walker stuff.

Alienous

I believe Kojima wanted him to do a very specific kind of voice starting with Peace Walker.

It really depends, can anyone confirm whether or not Akio Otsuka changed his voice noticeable for PW and GZ?

If Hayter decided to take vocal direction from a non-native English speaker, he deserves to be fired.

But I doubt it had anything to do with Kojima.

Chinner

Banned
Absolutely. I guess I just don't take it as seriously. I love the franchise and the characters, but I don't get super wound up in the voice performances. I take into consideration the massive load of dialogue that the actors have to deal with, the tone of the product, etc. I thought Hayter fit nicely with the atmosphere and aesthetic right up through Guns of the Patriots, but Peace Walker was the first game where his VA was jarring to me.

i'm coming across more emotive about this than i actually am. i suppose hayter did fit into the aesthetic up until MGS4 ( i havent played PW), but he peaked with mgs1 and never got back to the same level. whether or not thats a voice director or a hayter problem i don't know. can't comment on PW. whether or not this fresh start will shake of any of the series heritages in writing or performance i don't know, but i'm happy with sutherland as big boss.

LeBart

Maybe he isn't capable of his original delivery anymore, but he certainly isn't up to the quality of the other actors in the game, like Robin Atkin Downes.

We can agree on Robin Atkin Downes, this man is one of the greatest voice actors out there, but I don't think Hayter was ever worse than most actors in the series.
Put him next to Paul Eiding or Christopher Randolph, he fits right in. And again, the ham was part of what made MGS1 2 3 so great.

i'm coming across more emotive about this than i actually am. i suppose hayter did fit into the aesthetic up until MGS4 ( i havent played PW), but he peaked with mgs1 and never got back to the same level. whether or not thats a voice director or a hayter problem i don't know. can't comment on PW. whether or not this fresh start will shake of any of the series heritages in writing or performance i don't know, but i'm happy with sutherland as big boss.

Yeah he's definitely the best in the first game, no doubts there.

TheLight

Hayter just really started overdoing it after 4. He kind of did a caricature of his own voice, I don't get it. MGS1 he was great, MGS2 I don't remembr having a problem with, MGS3 he started getting cartoony but I didn't mind it too much. MGS4 is when he got really gravelly(for the sake of oldness, I guess?), and that MGS4 voice has been his goto Snake voice ever since.

If he comes back for the inevitable MG1/MG2 remakes he needs to revert back to MGS1 Snake or at least a version of it.

I believe Kojima wanted him to do a very specific kind of voice starting with Peace Walker.

Probably not. Zimmerman, maybe.

Ishida

Banned
nolstagia seems to be blinding fans as to how awful hayter was.

"Nostalgia" is the popular excuse today to complain about people liking what you don't. Hayter was terrible in your opinion, and in the opinion of many others. And he was great and iconic in my opinion, and the opinion of many others.

Accidentally clicked the spoiler thread instead of this. Almost ruined something's for myself. This needs to release already. I held the damn case in my hand yesterday at GameStop but my friend couldn't sell it to me.

Ishida

Banned

Saying he's awful is a pretty big overstatement.

I agree. Regardless of the individual opinions about his performance, it won't change the fact that Hayter has been voicing Snakes ever since 1998. Hayter's voice engraved the Snakes into the minds of millions of gamers.

Changing his voice now would be like switching Charles Martinet (Mario's voice) for Sean Connery, and expect fans to "deal with it" easily. Perhaps Kiefer will grow on Hayter's fans, eventually, but the initial reaction to the change is completely normal.

robotrock

Banned
Accidentally clicked the spoiler thread instead of this. Almost ruined something's for myself. This needs to release already. I held the damn case in my hand yesterday at GameStop but my friend couldn't sell it to me.

I feel you, dude. I asked my friend yesterday if he was going to play this and he proceeded to respond to my message with spoilers.

I wasn't even aware he was talking about Ground Zeroes,
I thought he was referring to Peace Walker's diary tapes. It's not like we didn't know that those things were in GZ anyway.

Even I just realized that this is exactly what I was referring to...so no, I didn't accidentally spoil anything, and it was completely unintentional on my part anyway so certain people should feel bad. I am in no way "that guy" who makes if a point to be a dick and go around spoiling things for people.

Alienous

I agree. Regardless of the individual opinions about his performance, it won't change the fact that Hayter has been voicing Snakes ever since 1998. Hayter's voice engraved the Snakes into the minds of millions of gamers.

Changing his voice now would be like switching Charles Martinet (Mario's voice) for Sean Connery, and expect fans to "deal with it" easily. Perhaps Kiefer will grow on Hayter's fans, eventually, but the initial reaction to the change is completely normal.

No, it'd be more like changing Luigi or Wario's voice actors.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
If Hayter decided to take vocal direction from a non-native English speaker, he deserves to be fired.

But I doubt it had anything to do with Kojima.
So Hayter deserves to be fired by Kojima for taking vocal direction from Kojima ? Did you really just say that?
because its still down to Kojima at the end the day

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I thought he was only really bad in Peace Walker. I had no issues with his performance otherwise. But then again I'm playing a videogame about giant robots and nanomachines and not really on a voice acting judging panel.

His Portable Ops performance wasn't bad at all really. I'd agree that Peace Walker stands out as the bad one of the bunch. Old Snake sounded as bad as he did....because he was Old Snake.

Just curious but i would appreciate it if you could match the ps4 image. Thanks for posting the other images btw.

That would be cool, you're right that light should be there somewhere.

I did it, and it worked.

PS4, 1920 x 1080 uncompressed png:
13162814883_5d43fd9345_o.png

PS3, 1280 x 720 uncompressed png:
13195099525_57ec71d52f_o.png

(here's the previous one for reference)

I was surprised how closely the light and cage shadows matched.

Took some more random screens in the same area that I'll post shortly (it's addicting).

I find both sides of this argument silly. It's all hyperbole, either that Hayter was absolutely terrible and talentless or that his voice was immaculate and another take on the voice would never work.

Like I remember some fans actually floating the idea that it would be sacrilege to not have Hayter dub Snake's voice in the Live Action Movie. On the other hand you have people suddenly making out Hayter now that he's replaced to be the worst thing that happened to the series and ignoring that Hayter's voice was at the very least iconic, and that passion for this universe and role is something that shoud be appreciated.

I can't agree with either side, I love MGS and Hayter was a big part of it's history. But I also as a big fan of MGS love what MGSV is shaping up to be and I trust Kojima.

Blader

I've never played Peace Walker, but in the other four games, I never had any issue with Hayter's voice work. Yeah it might be a little over-the-top in its gravel-chewing delivery, but that's just the character. To me, that's just what he's supposed to sound like, so it's never not been on point to my ears.

TheLight

No one is calling Hayter talentless or even absolutely terrible. His performance just wasn't consistent, that's all.

The attachment to Hayter just seems emotional as opposed to it's quality, the former of which seems pretty unreasonable.

I'm fine with Hayter. While not the greatest performance, the voice is at least memorable. I remember reading an interview with Frank Welker who voiced and still voices Megatron for the Transformers cartoon. They asked about his opinion on Michael Bay getting Hugo Weaving for the Transformers movies while keeping Peter Cullen from the cartoon to do the voice of Optimus Prime. He replied that while he wishes he was asked, he understands why his melodramatic and over-the-top Megatron voice wasn't chosen. However, when conceiving the Megatron voice for the original cartoon he knew it had to be iconic and distinct for the audience to really connect with and separate the character from the other Transformers in the series. I don't think anyone really recalls Megatron's voice from the movies, but they sure remember the voice from the cartoon.

Hayter's Snake is distinct and his inflections are individual to the character. That is what I think will be lost with Keifer Sutherland and it seems like he is just doing his regular voice. It'll definitely be something I'll have to get used to. But I will say, as "bad" as some of Hayter's VO can be throughout the series, there is a lot of nuance and some real great performances from him--especially in MGS 1,3,4. I think a lot of people are misremembering his Snake as the gravely MGS4 voice without the proper context.
This is how I see it.

Sky Chief

Fucking Amazon, Target, and Chase! I used my CC at Target on BF and Chase freaked out and sent me a new one. Then I went in to Amazon and changed my CC info but for some reason it didn't change on my GZ preorder. This morning my CC for the GZ preorder was declined and I lost my launch day shipping. Have to wait until Thursday now, argh!

Spaghetti

It really depends, can anyone confirm whether or not Akio Otsuka changed his voice noticeable for PW and GZ?
kojima doesn't attend voice recording sessions for the english versions.

i think he's only turned up once or twice for sutherland, but that's all from what i gather.

Top Bottom