• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes |OT| Kaz, I'm already a demo

co1onel

For those worried that this game is too short, if you play the game like COD, guns blazing and all it will be short.

But if you've played Metal Gear before and play this game like other Metal Gear games, it's actually a good length. Plus you get all the side missions, XO patch collecting etc.

I mean, just interrogating each guard you encounter is fun, because you're anticipating what new secrets they will reveal.

Just my two cents....

One of my favorite aspects of MGS games has always been the sandbox aspect. You could play the same level over and over and get through it in a different way every time. Seems like GZ takes it to the next level, which sounds great.

foxtrot3d

Banned
Man I'm so fucking HYPED, Tuesday can't come fast enough and I'm trying really hard to avoid seeing any more content concerning the game. I can't wait to S-Rank each mission.

I lol'ed.

I am literally playing the game as I'm typing this (and taking screens), so much fun.

Glad to add my unique brand of dumb humor to spice things up. I am all too jelly of you for having the game, but have fun nonetheless!

Edit:
Mission racing against other Gaffers will also be pretty fun.

Someone needs to make a GAF thread specifically for comparing mission completion stats and such, to partner with this thread.

Thanks for all the naked pics, snake.
I know I shouldn't toot my own horn, but I recommend reading this in Kaz's voice.

Mozz-eyes

Banned
Oh man I cannot wait. Hype levels are going through the roof.

Does this game feature The Sins of the Father song at all? That one from that trailer, I mean.

Listening to it at the moment and the long notes just give me goosebumps.

Blader

1-1.jpg

via reddit

Looks like we got a phantom pain release window folks. Just as I thought, bet my account on a 6/12/15 release date.

Makes sense, since Konami announced months ago a smaller MGS title (GZ) by the end of the current fiscal year and then MGSV proper by the end of the next fiscal year.

Here is something interesting i noticed. TPP has both the dynamic sky effect, and object based motion blur??

iZuHKZ3aZ8HHb.png

ibbyKA2oAtHapJ.png

nbnt if you are browsing, does the ps4 version have that subtle motion blur on the hands and legs?

ib2c1k6093zR1O.gif

xbox_one_by_raziel1992-d77l7mx.gif

Even though I got the game on Saturday, I didn't get the chance to play until just last night. MGS3 is one of my favourite games of all-time (it was THE best game I had ever played right up until TLOU). I also really enjoyed MGS2 and even though it was totally ridiculous MGS4 was decent fun. So this should give you some sense of how I feel about this series. I play MGS games like they should be played and I really appreciate the nuances of the game play (especially in the case of MGS3).

Visually the game is very slick and runs perfectly smooth, but the world does feel a bit "empty" and lacks detail. This is a minor gripe, but it hasn't "clicked" yet that I'm playing a MGS game. It's a very modern, progressive approach to the MGS formula...almost to the extent of losing a bit of the series' identity in the process.

Controls are spot on. Everything feels natural, except for pressing the left corner of the touch pad (PS4) to pause the game. That's had me pressing "options" or "share" a few times to try and pause the game.

I like the iDroid a lot, but it doesn't amount to much more than a glorified map system. It's really sleek and intuitive, though.

I do enjoy the recon aspect of mapping out targets and deciding on various ways to proceed.

I was kind of hooked last night and felt like I had barely scratched the surface. I only managed to get to one significant checkpoint that felt like actual progress
(saving Chico, not sure how much more there is beyond that)
. There's going to be a lot to do and find. This is a game that will reward multiple play-throughs.

sjay1994

Here is something interesting i noticed. TPP has both the dynamic sky effect, and object based motion blur??

iZuHKZ3aZ8HHb.png

ibbyKA2oAtHapJ.png

nbnt if you are browsing, does the ps4 version have that subtle motion blur on the hands and legs?

ib2c1k6093zR1O.gif

xbox_one_by_raziel1992-d77l7mx.gif

At e3... its hard to tell what system the multiplats are running on.

There are no prompts in this trailer... so who knows.

This is a minor gripe, but it hasn't "clicked" yet that I'm playing a MGS game.

I have to disagree. It felt like MGS immediately to me.

Now I've pretty much killed every soldier in the entire base, I've combed the map, but I still can't find where Paz is being held... halp?

Vroadstar

Dang this game keeps giving, I was on a sneaking mission and happened to be on a bunch of grass or shrub, I forgot to tag a guard and I was surprised he didn't noticed me and walk past by me, so I managed to CQC him Metal Gear style!

I thought my stealth mission is busted, I didn't know you will not get noticed when you're doing kinda Black Flag level of grass/shrub hiding. This is a surprised!

So peps, grass or shrub is your friend

I have to disagree. It felt like MGS immediately to me.

Now I've pretty much killed every soldier in the entire base, I've combed the map, but I still can't find where Paz is being held... halp?
Was so weird finding her. I couldn't find her either after combing the entire map. Then stumbled upon her but had to do a double take when I saw her because I couldn't tell what I was looking at from a distance until I got up close.

I was about to go to bed but now I want to see how a daylight mission looks. :/ Will resist since I have to wake up for class in 6 hours.

TopGun

Banned
I've been really impatient about getting this game already. Been to a couple stores like Walmart to see if they put it on the shelf yet and no luck. Those PS3 screens are way better than I thought they'd be. Of course the shadows are horrid but the face model and basically everything else looks great. Remember everyone freaking out when they saw these screen shots for past gen? The final release looks fantastic compared to this:
metal-gear-solid-5-ground-zeroes.jpg

No GameStop is doing a midnight launch around my area so I'll have to try Walmart even though nobody heard of the game. (One of them in my town has TPP in their systems and it said September 9th 2014 for some odd reason).

I've been really impatient about getting this game already. Been to a couple stores like Walmart to see if they put it on the shelf yet and no luck. Those PS3 screens are way better than I thought they'd be. Of course the shadows are horrid but the face model and basically everything else looks great. Remember everyone freaking out when they saw these screen shots for past gen? The final release looks fantastic compared to this:
metal-gear-solid-5-ground-zeroes.jpg

No GameStop is doing a midnight launch around my area so I'll have to try Walmart even though nobody heard of the game. (One of them in my town has TPP in their systems and it said September 9th 2014 for some odd reason).

I'm guessing wal-mart will have them tomorrow night, does that mean i could buy it at midnight?

So, the game is only launching here in Brazil on friday, so i wanted to ask this, seeing i'm dying of curiosity, for those who already played it: what are your impressions on Kiefer doing Big Boss?

Finished the first mission, credits rolling...

Holy shit, that ending cutscene... The visuals, special effects, camera work, tension and drama... perhaps the most impressive real-time cutscene I've seen on last gen hardware. Kojima delivers.

Kiefer Sutherland doesn't have much dialogue in the game, so I'm holding off my final judgement... but so far I don't mind his performance really, it doesn't stand out, and that's fine.

I'm confused on this.

So the game consists of one mission that can be finished in an hour or two then credits?

That's the first and main mission, called "Ground Zereos". There are more missions unlocked after you beat that one. I don't think those have much if any story or cutscenes, they're just gameplay (I'm assuming), and they take place in the same base (at different times).

Took me like 5+ hours to finish the first mission (I like taking my sweet ass time, and I was taking a lot of screenshots). Now it says my Completion Ratio is 8%.

I'm confused on this.

So the game consists of one mission that can be finished in an hour or two then credits?

The story mission can be finished quite quickly, usually within an hour or so.
Then after that there's the side missions along with the console exclusive mission. Plus all the collectable audio tapes that explain more parts of the story.

It's extremely short compared to other MGS games cause it's meant to be a prologue. But it does have alot of re playability.

Lucent

Finished the first mission, credits rolling...

Holy shit, that ending cutscene... The visuals, special effects, camera work, tension and drama... perhaps the most impressive real-time cutscene I've seen on last gen hardware. Kojima delivers.

Kiefer Sutherland doesn't have much dialogue in the game, so I'm holding off my final judgement... but so far I don't mind his performance really, it doesn't stand out, and that's fine.

It's really odd hearing that considering how much they used codecs in all the other games.

So is the trusty old Codec really just gone? How meaty are the radio calls you get by pressing L2? From all the footage they've shown it seems like you just get a dry, informative sentence or two about AA guns or tanks or whatever, no traditional Metal Gear goofiness and verbosity.

blamite

Sorry for the dumb question, but does anyone know if Amazon is offering the preorder bonus for the PS4 version? I don't see anything on the product page for it...

pupcoffee

So is the trusty old Codec really just gone? How meaty are the radio calls you get by pressing L2? From all the footage they've shown it seems like you just get a dry, informative sentence or two about AA guns or tanks or whatever, no traditional Metal Gear goofiness and verbosity.

The game has tapes instead which you access from some sort of menu.

Sorry for the dumb question, but does anyone know if Amazon is offering the preorder bonus for the PS4 version? I don't see anything on the product page for it...
All first press copies of the game have it in the box, it's not a code that will be sent by the retailer.

What's annoying is that you have to sign up with Konami's new social front end to punch the included code into the thing.

Top Bottom