• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes |OT| Kaz, I'm already a demo

Screenshots galore incoming. I'll be dividing them into 3 batches:

1. New shots from where I left off up until the end of the mission.
2. Shots from the ending cutscene
3. Shots from a daylight mission.

I won't embed any shots of the ending, and I'll provide a big spoiler warning on the link.

Edit: or maybe I shouldn't link them in this thread at all?

1. New shots from where I left off up until the end of the mission.
2. Shots from the ending cutscene
3. Shots from a daylight mission.

I won't embed any shots of the ending, and I'll provide a big spoiler warning on the link.

Edit: or maybe I shouldn't link them in this thread at all?

Post non-story screens in this thread, and link the spoilerific ones.

Any chance you can snap one of the full map?

Its the one thing I'm dying to know about this game. The total size of the playable area in terms I can fully grasp. A picture, or a comparison to levels in other games - something.

I don't really have a sense of how big this base is, or how much area there is on the periphery. That'd seem to make a lot of difference when it comes to replay value.

blamite

All first press copies of the game have it in the box, it's not a code that will be sent by the retailer.

What's annoying is that you have to sign up with Konami's new social front end to punch the included code into the thing.

Excellent (Well, the first part at least. The Konami social thing, eh.), thanks for the info. Guess I'm ordering this even though I don't actually have a PS4 yet!

Finished the first mission, credits rolling...

Holy shit, that ending cutscene... The visuals, special effects, camera work, tension and drama... perhaps the most impressive real-time cutscene I've seen on last gen hardware. Kojima delivers.

Kiefer Sutherland doesn't have much dialogue in the game, so I'm holding off my final judgement... but so far I don't mind his performance really, it doesn't stand out, and that's fine.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts (and screenshots) as you go along!!

Got to mess around with it today. I had a lot of fun with it. The diving move is so badass. Kinda miss a few of the old things you can do though, like knocking on walls to lure soldiers or shaking bodies for loot.

Hopefully I missed something though and you can still do that. Game looks really great.

The game has tapes instead which you access from some sort of menu.

And music tapes! :D

13211039353_6eb41639be_o.png

Here's the first batch of screens:

13211109343_52386cdc3e_o.png

Night Vision
13210956415_1abd9f10d2_o.png

13211098683_bd0aaebf33_o.png

13210940025_fb333bc493_o.png

This part was fun :p

13211079293_fc854f2248_o.png

13211246724_eac9ff8e96_o.png

13211176954_86545bd33e_o.png

13211166244_e475228c70_o.png

Someone asked to see first person aiming:
13211002953_219690bd0c_o.png

13210986363_7f6f00c3e7_o.png

More here (these are all before the ending, but if you don't want to see Snake carrying Paz, don't click): http://www.flickr.com/photos/adelgary/sets/72157642470094615/

Got to mess around with it today. I had a lot of fun with it. The diving move is so badass. Kinda miss a few of the old things you can do though, like knocking on walls to lure soldiers or shaking bodies for loot.

Hopefully I missed something though and you can still do that. Game looks really great.

Good to hear! Knocking on walls is, in fact, missing in Ground Zeroes. This will return in The Phantom Pain, however. :)

Ending screenshots (SPOILER WARNING!):
SPOILERS!

I didn't take screenshots of everything (e.g. the disturbing/disgusting parts), and it doesn't look near as impressive in stills as it does in motion. Looks spectacular in motion.

Here's my Wall of Shame score card:

Thanks for these!

This pretty much confirms the in-game models are the same as the cinematics. Not sure why there was doubt considering there are no load times and the gameplay camera transitions directly into cutscene cam.

13211019873_87915b3fe3_o.png

Is that the PS3 version? Looks pretty tight.

Ending screenshots (SPOILER WARNING!):
SPOILERS!

I didn't take screenshots of everything (e.g. the disturbing/disgusting parts), and it doesn't look near as impressive in stills as it does in motion. Looks spectacular in motion.

Here's my Wall of Shame score card:
You rescued 6 prisoners?

Maybe a spoiler about the prisoners but not sure a big deal:

I bunched them all together near an explosive barrel and planted C4 on it and blew them all up lol. Then Kaz was like why did you do that! I guess you can take them to a drop zone and radio a helicopter to evac them? What do they get you if you do that? More intel or what?

It's really hard to spoil anything considering how little story there is here. The end scene and the audio tapes but even those just give a bit of a back story or have nothing to do with the story like the one where Paz explaining what soccer/futbol is or how to make gallo pinto (chicken and rice and shit lol.)

You rescued 6 prisoners?

I bunched them all together near an explosive barrel and planted C4 on it and blew them all up lol. Then Kaz was like why did you do that! I guess you can take them to a drop zone and radio a helicopter to evac them? What do they get you if you do that? More intel or what?

It's really hard to spoil anything considering how little story there is here. Other than the audio tapes but even those just give a bit of a back story or have nothing to do with the story like the one where Paz explaining what soccer/futbol is or how to make gallo pinto (chicken and rice and shit lol.)
The set of Paz Diary tapes are straight out of Peace Walker. I wonder if they removed the one with Dr. Strangelove.

Rescuing prisoners will put them in your Mother Base in Phantom Pain.

The set of Paz Diary tapes are straight out of Peace Walker. I wonder if they removed the one with Dr. Strangelove.

Rescuing prisoners will put them in your Mother Base in Phantom Pain.
Oh are they? I don't remember as its been a while. Are you talking about the
lesbian
audiotape with strangelove? Yup its in here. Haha.

I'll make sure to do the mission again and rescue them.

Daylight screens! Again all PS3.

13211630574_c82d9b9e32_o.png

13211298935_aa5363e5da_o.png

13211434233_032c987b18_o.png

13211606394_42b232f7f1_o.png

13211594404_00689da728_o.png

13211423333_d28e93ef5e_o.png

13211401483_a5b0a4fcee_o.png

13211573294_7406a9ece6_o.png

13211403953_be55019b24_o.png

13211372153_a5dc658acf_o.png

13211234725_97fe8383ee_o.png

13211362833_98a37a096c_o.png

13211234425_7cd5ae724e_o.png

13211208515_a9cceaf307_o.png

13211520494_99dc4b5aa5_o.png

As you can see it look great for the most part (the last pic above doesn't look too hot though), but there are a few problems that become very noticeable in daylight:

1. Geometry pop-up (rock cliffs loading in and popping up as you move, which I never noticed in the night mission)

2. The Alpha to Coverage dithering effect on grass and other stuff is MUCH MUCH more noticeable in daytime, it's everywhere.

More daytime screens here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/adelgary/sets/72157642473652754/with/13211234425/

Oh are they? I don't remember as its been a while. Are you talking about the
lesbian
audiotape with strangelove? Yup its in here. Haha.

I'll make sure to do the mission again and rescue them.
I wonder if it stacks up, like if you replay missions and rescue POWs over and over, will they all randomize as different folks in TPP. They certainly respawn in the cages, after all.

Something I went out of my way to check and was glad to see turned out true:
When you find Chico, you might have POWs nearby in the cages. When Chico is freaking out, the POWs will realize that you're there and beg for you to save them too.

This being my second run in Ground Zeroes, I freed all of the POWs first this time and wanted to see what was different. No camera pans to empty cages, but the sounds and lights of a new truck of soldiers came about. If I'm working this out in my head right, a new squad of troops seriously came by instead.

I'm constantly shocked by this game.

deim0s

Man... them guards have eyes of a hawk like the player would! :p Kept retrying to cleanly do the sub-op w/o fucking up half of the mission and gunning it.

You rescued 6 prisoners?

Yes, more intel on
gear/pickups

Any chance you can snap one of the full map?

Its the one thing I'm dying to know about this game. The total size of the playable area in terms I can fully grasp. A picture, or a comparison to levels in other games - something.

I don't really have a sense of how big this base is, or how much area there is on the periphery. That'd seem to make a lot of difference when it comes to replay value.

Here you go:

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2691/13212028024_5383a129ac_o.png

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3686/13211857743_fceeed97ca_o.png

I can't zoom out any farther, that's pretty much it, there's just an additional tiny rocky part out of frame I think.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Considering how good it already looks on PS3, I really can't wait to see it running on PS4.

npa189

PS3 looks good, amazing for the old beast. I can't wait to tear this up on PS4 on Tuesday. Holy fuck do I love new Metal Gear, hopefully SCEA doesn't screw the pooch on the store update this week, that was a joke.

Holy damn those are PS3 shots? I just plowed through MGS3 and Peace Walker in preparation. I'm getting this on PS4 and I'm preparing my mind to be blown.

Your wish is my command :)

I love how dynamic the lighting is. Shame the shadows don't hold up.

I kept the above shots focused on Snake's model and from relatively early areas of the mission as not to spoil other locations. If you don't mind seeing more head over here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/adelgary/sets/72157642464645404/

I have a real hard time believing this is the PS3 version. If this isn't the PS4 version, this game may overtake TLoU as best PS3 graphics of the past generation. At least Snakes character model.

I have a real hard time believing this is the PS3 version. If this isn't the PS4 version, this game may overtake TLoU as best PS3 graphics of the past generation. At least Snakes character model.

It is the PS3 version. I played The Last of US right before this one, and I still think TLoU looks better. There wasn't a moment in GZ that I uttered "Wow" while playing, while there were numerous moments in TLoU where I was going "Wow... wow... wow" just panning the camera around and looking at the environment. This even held true when I first played the Left Behind DLC after playing Ground Zeroes.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
Took some environment shots (PS4 - capture card):
You can see my other screenshots here (no spoilers): http://flickr.com/gp/27844169@N07/h3DL1e/

But if you want spoilers, I did take a lot of screenshots from the other cutscenes in the game: WARNING SPOILERS https://www.flickr.com/gp/27844169@N07/68952w/ WARNING SPOILERS
nbnt if you are browsing, does the ps4 version have that subtle motion blur on the hands and legs?

ib2c1k6093zR1O.gif

xbox_one_by_raziel1992-d77l7mx.gif
I can't notice it in motion, but you can see a really subtle blur around his feet here:

Chinner

Banned
re: the character model debate between MGS4 & 5 a few pages ago. thought it would be worthy of an update as we now have better pictures.

it's clear that the previous comparison was deliberately skewed to suggest that mgs4 had better character models. what do you expect from a hayter fan, hayters gonna hate.

You can see my other screenshots here (no spoilers): http://flickr.com/gp/27844169@N07/h3DL1e/

But if you want spoilers, I did take a lot of screenshots from the other cutscenes in the game: WARNING SPOILERS https://www.flickr.com/gp/27844169@N07/68952w/ WARNING SPOILERS

And my 15 minutes of popularity are over :)

Your screens look fantastic. Is it easier to take them with a capture card than with the PS4's built-in screenshot feature? (I'm assuming there is one that works with any game).

Do you notice any popup in the daytime missions?

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
And my 15 minutes of popularity are over :)

Your screens look fantastic. Is it easier to take them with a capture card than with the PS4's built-in screenshot feature? (I'm assuming there is one that works with any game).

Do you notice any popup in the daytime missions?
Thank you! :D Yours are great too!

Yes it is easier to take screenshots with a capture card, the PS4 functionality takes like 1-1.5 seconds to capture a screenshot, plus they're compressed, so I just use my capture card instead.

And I didn't notice any popups in the daytime missions.

I can't notice it in motion, but you can see a really subtle blur around his feet here:

Thanks man, and thank you too Naked Snake for the Impressions!

Top Bottom