• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes |OT| Kaz, I'm already a demo

Am I the only one not interested in this new Metal Gear Solid game?

Maybe its the new voice for Snake.
Or the time period setting and the environments in Ground Zeroes.

Or the new more modem gameplay elements they have added like bullet time, health regen and tagging enemies and seeing them through walls.

MilkBeard

Just started my Hard playthrough after finishing all the missions. I'm loving this "demo". And let's be real, this is a glorified demo. It's a damn great one though. Stream if anyone wants to join me.

Watching the stream, thanks! Game looks like fun. I like the stealth stuff. I haven't played much Metal Gear Solid so I figured this demo will be a good entry point.

sjay1994

Or the new more modem gameplay elements they have added like bullet time, health regen and tagging enemies and seeing them through walls.

I've played it, and the modern stuff is fair considering they have taken a lot of things from older metal gears. No more alert/caution count downs, no more vision cones, enemies spot you way easier and its harder to predict their movements unlike previous MG's.

Also as much as I love Hayter, Sutherland seems more appropriate for the tone of MGSV. Its more subdued, and doesn't have that same level of exposition as previous MG games. Listening to some of the returning voice actors saying some of the lines in GZ felt jarring.

Mik2121

I keep telling myself I won't come back to this thread until Thursday (when it releases in Japan) and yet I keep coming all the time...
Now for real, I won't come back. I will go and watch a Peace Walker briefing video and tomorrow got work, then back home, m, dinner, sleep and then the following day I'll finally have the game in my hands. Yay!

robotrock

Banned
LWZKBl0.png

wtf?

Griss

I'm interested, but really wary. It seems like a total tonal shift from wacky supernatural spy/soldier thriller to a more serious, less over-the-top type of game. Personified by removing the brilliant and ludicrous Hayter and his cliched growl for a proper actor who sounds professional but bored as hell from what I've heard.

I'll give it a go when it drops in price but I'm worried.

zeox

I really want to buy this on my US account, but I have a question. will I be able to download it and play it on my main account? I know this worked with the PS3, but I haven't tried it yet on the PS4. thanks

beastmode

Holy shit the ending cutscene is so ludicrous. For all the game's improvements Kojima is still Kojima. Make that stuff playable, will ya?

Ohhhh boy. Just started playing it and I had massive dips. I'm talking 3-5 FPS slide show PowerPoint dips in frame rate on my PS4. Luckily I just closed the app and restarted. Works like a charm.

Jacobbles

HNNNNGH waiting another 8 days for the Aussie release is gonna be tough. Already tempted to download it on my US PSN account. Fuck this stupid delay.

I really want to buy this on my US account, but I have a question. will I be able to download it and play it on my main account? I know this worked with the PS3, but I haven't tried it yet on the PS4. thanks

Yeah, this still works.

RaikuHebi

Banned
So I've played through both now. Last week my PS3 playthrough took 107 mins over 2 sittings (and several deaths), and this time my PS4 playthrough took 52 mins in a single sitting (1 death).

I managed to get Chico with no alerts, but Paz needs more effort. Perhaps I'll do it on Hard.

So yes the graphics and presentation are much, much better. Noticeably so. The framerate is the big one, doesn't feel like the camera is moving through sludge, nice and smooth.

Also the PS4 version has a short The Phantom Pain clip at the end which was definitely not in the PS3 version.

HNNNNGH waiting another 8 days for the Aussie release is gonna be tough. Already tempted to download it on my US PSN account. Fuck this stupid delay.

Yeah, this still works.

I imported from play-asia. It was sent out today and should arrive on the 20th according to Fedex.

One more thing, does anyone know how many gigs the game rakes up? Not much I'm guessing...

Alienous

So I've played through both now. Last week my PS3 playthrough took 107 mins over 2 sittings (and several deaths), and this time my PS4 playthrough took 52 mins in a single sitting (1 death).

I managed to get Chico with no alerts, but Paz needs more effort. Perhaps I'll do it on Hard.

So yes the graphics and presentation are much, much better. Noticeably so. The framerate is the big one, doesn't feel like the camera is moving through sludge, nice and smooth.

Also the PS4 version has a short The Phantom Pain clip at the end which was definitely not in the PS3 version.

Oh shit.

Yeah, I thought it'd be next-gen only. This seems to suggest that.

Soodanim

Heaven forbid we change any gameplay conventions ever, especially ones that have alternatives (dive instead of roll) and ones that have can be turned off.
Perhaps if people hadn't said "There's no roll" and left it at that, I wouldn't have mentioned it. And what about no knock? That's an iconic MGS move.

Just because RE4 was amazing, it doesn't mean you should change things for the sake of change. Maybe it's great in action, but on paper it doesn't sound good. In fact, no, I saw a clip and it looks shit there. It's good that you can disable it, but it's the sign of moving the game away from what it is, and we've all seen that happen to at least one IP we like.

Vinc

Oh snap! I really hope Phantom Pain is next-gen only. Considering my hype for that game is already through the roof, this would be heavenly.

I only had a chance to watch 7 minutes or so of the opening cutscene before I had to leave for work. Looked fantastic as expected. Only a few small gripes graphically:
- Camp Omega sign could've been just a tad higher resolution.
- I thought it was a little disappointing that the wind off the chopper seemed to only affect skullface's hat and the XOF patches... would've thought that the clothes of the soldiers would also be impacted but there was none of that. Considering they were able to pull that type of thing off in MGS3's intro on the PS2, it was a very glaring omission to me.

Seems like most of the whining about the graphics has gone away after people are seeing that the game looks gorgeous in 1080p @ 60FPS. Can't wait to actually play it.

It's too bad that I can't use this MGS5 iPhone app to access the casette tapes right now, I'd be listening to them all day if that were the case.

DieH@rd

Banned
OK gaf, I'm starting my first GZ session in a few minutes, here's the livestream
http://www.twitch.tv/diehaard

My upload speed is meh, I've put the game in fullscreen so that there would be no chance for spoilers, and I have iDroid app on my tablet so in-game map will rarely be used [if tablet app works well].

ocean

Banned
I know this isn't the most popular opinion, but I don't think it's too seriously overpriced.

I mean US$30 isn't that much money. It's only slightly more than a Blu-Ray of a recently released movie, while providing slightly more entertainment (with side missions it should be somewhat longer than a standard feature film).

If I had a PS4 I wouldn't buy this because I've never been much of a fan of stealth mechanics. I'm sure though that I'd pay US$30 for a 100 minute well-done GoW or DMC prologue.

Guess Who

Banned
Don't have Ground Zeroes yet and it'll probably be a while before I do, but I just wanted to pop in to say this thread title gets me every single time.

Salaadin

I know this isnt the most popular opinion, but I don't think it's too seriously overpriced.

I mean US$30 isn't that much money. It's only slightly more than a Blu-Ray of a recently released movie, while providing slightly more entertainment (with side missions it should be somewhat longer than a standard feature film).

If I had a PS4 I wouldn't buy this because I've never been much of a fan of stealth mechanics. I'm sure though that I'd pay US$30 for a 100 minute well-done GoW or DMC prologue.

I think the month it's dropping in comes into play some. If this came out in a light gaming month like Jan or Feb, 30 bucks is easier to swallow. Right next to Titanfall and infamous, that 30 just gets added to the 60 to 120 that we are already spending and the decision becomes more difficult.

Yes it'll work. Since I bought my PS4 I've bought all my games from the US PSN store (cept from the physical discs I bought at launch. I have Infamous SS preordered on US PSN, and I'll be buying GZ as soon as I get home from work :)

Edit: I'm Norwegian.

Alienous

I know this isn't the most popular opinion, but I don't think it's too seriously overpriced.

Relative to what we already have, games like Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon and Assassin's Creed IV Freedom Cry and Dead Rising 2 Case Zero and Battlefield 1943 and Call of Juarez Gunslinger and a plethora of post-release DLCs of a similar content proposition, yeah, it is overpriced. Only the GTA IV DLCs have gone that high before.

Is it overpriced with regards to its own content? The market will eventually decide that. And if it isn't deemed overpriced, then the precedent is set for $15 games like Blood Dragon to cost $30. Everyone wins!

Darksol

Less than 2 hours until I can pick up my preorder. I think I'll spend the day doing this and FFX ^-^ Glad to see game impressions are overwhelmingly positive.

Top Bottom