• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes |OT| Kaz, I'm already a demo

My copy of GZ is out for delivery this morning and should be waiting when I get home.

I just finished my playthrough of Peace Walker last night with the true ending, perfect timing.

Alienous

Oh, yeah. Thats about it. 4 or 5 side-ops, those in-game achievements and the main game.

I really suspect that GZ will be filled with DLC before TPP arrives.

No DLC is planned for GZ.

The team is heads down of The Phantom Pain. Like, currently. Even as Ground Zeroes releases, apparently. Got to get the actual game done, I suppose.

icespide

Banned
I caved and bought the digital PS4 version last night when it went up despite having an amazon copy on the way today.

I resisted all of about 2 seconds haha. Now I'm debating on keeping the physical copy or not

The PS3 version looks good in parts, but the framerate chugs during the cutscene and there's a few parts of the UI/environment that give away how much of a down-port it is. Gameplay is smooth. Kiefer's not very good.

Worth the $20 if you don't have a PS4, but otherwise avoid the PS3 version, I'd say.

Ugh so it looks like my Amazon order won't ship till today. I'm tempted to double dip and grab the One version...

...Or I can wait it out to see it pop up for sale here... I need to stay off these forums before I crack.

georly

Waiting for some used copies that i can return to gamestop within 7 days. I'll rebuy it on ps4 when i get one for phantom pain.

The game's fun as hell to play around with so far, but I have one major problem already.

Is there really no "restart from checkpoint" button? There have been plenty of times when I accidentally get caught and I have to wait till I get killed just so I can restart again.

A stealth game with no restart from checkpoint option in 2014, wtf Kojima?

Press Select.

MormaPope

Banned
Oh my god.

I gathered a bunch of POWs and Chico, put them all at the bottom of the rocky beach. My helicopter song is set to heavens divide. The chopper comes in, its spotted, the song gets booming and going, I start fighting against troops, I load one POW before the chopper splits.

This or rather Phantom Pain is the true sequel to MGS3.

Playing on the 360, looks really good and runs well.

rvy

Banned
No DLC is planned for GZ.

The team is heads down of The Phantom Pain. Like, currently. Even as Ground Zeroes releases, apparently. Got to get the actual game done, I suppose.

I really doubt that, quite frankly. I think they're working their asses off on TPP, absolutely, but I don't think Konami would let this opportunity slide to make even more money off a demo.
My bet is more side-ops to rescue another set of VIPs that will be imported to TPP.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Oh my god.

I gathered a bunch of POWs and Chico, put them all at the bottom of the rocky beach. My helicopter song is set to heavens divide. The chopper comes in, its spotted, the song gets booming and going, I start fighting against troops, I load one POW before the chopper splits.

This or rather Phantom Pain is the true sequel to MGS3.

Playing on the 360, looks really good and runs well.

Amazing. Can't wait for Friday.

Fatal Error

Neo Member
How many playthroughs is that?

Whats keeping the game fresh?

about 105 mission, collecting XOF patches, applying different tactics using stealth, action, cars, explosive, tanks, getting S rank in every mission and in every difficulty, playing with Tag and Slow Motion and without, collecting cassettes for story, and there are things that can be spoilers. basically the gameplay is perfect.

the game is massive if you want to explore it.

cackhyena

Wonder if there is something you get for going through the main mission never firing anything and never being spotted, along with never coming in contact with enemies. Pure ghost.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
about 105 mission, collecting XOF patches, applying different tactics using stealth, action, cars, explosive, tanks, getting S rank in every mission and in every difficulty, playing with Tag and Slow Motion and without, collecting cassettes for story, and there are things that can be spoilers. basically the gameplay is perfect.

the game is massive if you want to explore it.

HHHHHHHnnnnnnnnnnng

DieH@rd

Banned
Finished the main mission in 80 minutes, had a blast, lots of shooting at the end [no tranq bullets :D ].

Game looks AWESOME on PS4, perfect 1080p60, sneaking controls are great + they added perfect layer of action controls over it. If someone wants to play this as an action game, it can be done without any problems.

Fjordson

Game feels really good. Much more fluid than MGS4 (especially the combat after you've been spotted). I just pray that The Phantom Pain isn't too far off. I need more!

Only small complaint is no David Hayter. I know it's been discussed quite enough already and it seems most people are already used to it, but it still feels off to me. Wish they had brought him back =[

Sojgat

I really doubt that, quite frankly. I think they're working their asses off on TPP, absolutely, but I don't think Konami would let this opportunity slide to make even more money off a demo.
My bet is more side-ops to rescue another set of VIPs that will be imported to TPP.

I would almost have to admire the audacity of paid DLC for a paid demo.

rvy

Banned
I would almost have to admire the audacity of paid DLC for a paid demo.

200px-Konami.svg.png

jet1911

Just finished the main mission. I have noooooooooo idea what hapened in the final cutscene lol. Someone who played Peace walker want to explain?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Ground Zeroes should not have been released as a standalone release. It should 've been bundled with LoS2 . The success of this full priced demo will only enable other companies to follow suit. I cannot in full conscience, support such an endeavour. 30 dollars for a glorified demo is blasphemy. Isn't there supposed to be a committee to prevent practices like these?
Bullshit.

This is a special case and one we've seen before. Gran Turismo has done this as did Capcom with Dead Rising 2.

It wouldn't fly for most games. This is definitely a special case that won't become the norm.

jmonteiro

I caved and bought the digital PS4 version last night when it went up despite having an amazon copy on the way today.

I resisted all of about 2 seconds haha. Now I'm debating on keeping the physical copy or not

EU or NA? I can't find the PS4 link in the US.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Not reading the topic, as I only played 15 minutes or so before going to sleep, but I did find some C4 and blow up an AA turret.

But, because I didn't know how to trigger it, I ended up putting down a C4 brick at a second place. After this, I managed to get the 1st one to blow up.

Later, after getting to another AA Gun (that's a good ways from the 1st), I set up a 3rd C4 brick on it, and get slightly spotted. I run off and hide in a bush, as one guy starts searching around the AA gun. Feeling this is the best time to set off that C4, I hit the trigger, only to have the previous misplaced C4 go off, way in the distance. This actually works really well, because the soldier, and 3 of his nearby buddies hear it, and it actually brings in those other soldier's closer to the 2nd AA gun (as they are about to go searching in the direction of the 2nd C4 Brick explosion).

They ended up to close to the 2nd AA gun, and died when I set off the 3rd C4 brick.

Anyways, game runs nicely, Snake has fluid movement, and from my short playtime, it's not bad.

Will see how replayable it is later.

Got my copy. Nice n sharp n smooth with some good looking textures. Some animations look very nice, others not so. Overall, nextgen-ish-kinda I guess. Will get back to it when I have more time.

SJRB

Gold Member
Done and done. Little over two hours, I really REALLY took my time. No kills, no alerts.

Graphics and animations blew my mind, gameplay is a huge step forward in comparison to MGS4. Also Kiefer is a really good Big Boss, it clicked immediately. Music was very nice too, some really good adrenaline-pumping stuff.

As for the story and length, it's garbage. I expected little but I'm still disappointed. So in the end, "was this worth 30 bucks?": absolutely not.

hodgy100

So is this worth getting or not? I've managed to pre-order it for £20 and always saw the product as a GT Prologue like game. I'm a huge fan of the series but with reviews being so middling and people like Jim sterling tweeting "Wow it really is just a $30 demo" I'm left a bit uneasy on whether to cancel my pre-order or not :/

I'm waiting a bit before I get it but for those that have finished, is the story interesting or exciting if you've watched all the trailers. I feel like I know everything that's gonna happen at this point. Any surprises or twists? Not asking for specifics of course.

SJRB

Gold Member
I'm waiting a bit before I get it but for those that have finished, is the story interesting or exciting if you've watched all the trailers. I feel like I know everything that's gonna happen at this point. Any surprises or twists? Not asking for specifics of course.

Even answering your question with yes/no is a spoiler in itself, is it not?

Just finished the main mission. I have noooooooooo idea what hapened in the final cutscene lol. Someone who played Peace walker want to explain?

While playing through Peace Walker, Boss and Kaz are building a new base off the coast of Cuba called Mother Base. You are able to build up the base, research and develop new equipment and recruiting soldiers and POWs during missions. Even building a Metal Gear.

At the end of Ground Zeroes....
All that shit is destroyed. Hence why Kaz and Snake are super pissed.

Courage

There's a hilarious twist, yes

Top Bottom