• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes |OT| Kaz, I'm already a demo

For new page:

Do enemies respawn? As in if you Tranq everyone on the base is that it.

Or do they perhaps respawn if you trip an alert. If so, do they just appears from the video game hell or do they actually enter the map from trucks and stuff?

Well this is a real bummer. The "MOTHER BASE STAFF" product code that's printed on the (very cool) reverse side cover doesn't work. :(
Anyone knows if that Mother Base Staff bonus comes with PS4 digital version?

Or, nevermind, I'm thinking of buying GZ from US Store, and I'll probably get Phantom Pain PAL disc version, so it won't be compatible anyway.

Soodanim

I've not been watching too many videos, so I'm not too perfectly up to date on the gameplay. But reading the last page of this thread is interesting. The slow-mo seems like something I'd hate, as someone who plays on extreme in MGS3/4. To go from that to easy mode reactions would be too much. And no wall knocking or rolling? That's absurd. Kojima must hate the world to punish people like that.

With all of the changes I'm reading about, including Keifer (not heard too much to give an opinion, but it's not Hayter), I'm quite happy to take a stance of "PC or nothing". So if it never comes, I'll watch videos. But I'm not planning on getting a PS4, and I'm definitely not getting it on PS3.

Edit: oh god the slow-mo is blasphemy. I'm really not sure what to make of this whole thing.

I've not been watching too many videos, so I'm not too perfectly up to date on the gameplay. But reading the last page of this thread is interesting. The slow-mo seems like something I'd hate, as someone who plays on extreme in MGS3/4. To go from that to easy mode reactions would be too much. And no wall knocking or rolling? That's absurd. Kojima must hate the world to punish people like that.

With all of the changes I'm reading about, including Keifer (not heard too much to give an opinion, but it's not Hayter), I'm quite happy to take a stance of "PC or nothing". So if it never comes, I'll watch videos. But I'm not planning on getting a PS4, and I'm definitely not getting it on PS3.

Edit: oh god the slow-mo is blasphemy. I'm really not sure what to make of this whole thing.

You can turn off the slow-mo and if I'm not wrong, you dive instead of a roll.

PS4 duders, is there any way to swap the L1/R1 with L2/R2 in the options menu? I'm hoping I overlooked something, because I couldn't find it. It's great that the DS4 has better triggers and all, but I still want to be aiming and shooting with L1 and R1.

Tookay

Heaven forbid we change any gameplay conventions ever, especially ones that have alternatives (dive instead of roll) and ones that have can be turned off.

Just started my Hard playthrough after finishing all the missions. I'm loving this "demo". And let's be real, this is a glorified demo. It's a damn great one though. Stream if anyone wants to join me.

Just completed it...wow...I feel kind of sick right now...this was fantastic! I feel a little uneasy at the ending, but now I just know that the Phantom Pain is going to be insane!!! I cannot wait. I LOVED this. Anyone who is on the edge of buying this, buy it. The gameplay was amazing. The most smooth it has ever been. : )

Oh..I have looked all over the manual. How do you roll on PS4? It said L2/L3 but it doesn't work for me?

Bit-Bit

I woke up extra early to download the games. Only to see many on GAF has already beaten it.

War has changed.

I'm too old for this shit.

jsnepo

Metal Gear Solid is back to the old school sneaking. This demo is $20 well spent.

It's amazing how this game could run on the PS3.

co1onel

Well this is quite frustrating. On Konami's support page is says pretty clearly "You can install METAL GEAR SOLID V: Ground Zeroes to an Xbox 360 hard drive or USB flash drive (sold separately) on Xbox 360."

Yet it won't let me install the game because it keeps telling me there's no hard drive and a hard drive is required to install.

Just completed it...wow...I feel kind of sick right now...this was fantastic! I feel a little uneasy at the ending, but now I just know that the Phantom Pain is going to be insane!!! I cannot wait. I LOVED this. Anyone who is on the edge of buying this, buy it. The gameplay was amazing. The most smooth it has ever been. : )

Oh..I have looked all over the manual. How do you roll on PS4? It said L2/L3 but it doesn't work for me?

I think when you're prone you just hold left or right on left stick and click in R3? I could be remembering wrong.

I rushed through my first playthrough because I couldn't wait to see the story; still took me two hours, and I feel like I barely scratched the surface of just exploring the camp, let alone doing actual side missions and trials. Can't wait to get stuck in and do some serious Metal Gearing.

3dmodeler

Is anyone having a weird issue where only the speech audio is muted during cutscenes and Kaz's codecs? I downloaded the ps3 digital and I'd like to know if there's a fix.

Just finished the main mission. Really incredible. The bar had been raised for stealth games and that's super exciting. The freedom this game gives you is remarkable. I can't wait to play it again and try different techniques.

Only complaint is that tagging enemies is a little clumsy, particularly when you're close to them. Clicking in the right stick to peek and tag enemies is really finnicky, especially when you're trying to move the enemy into the middle of the screen so they'll be tagged. I got spotted a few times just fumbling with that.

But tagging enemies feels very rewarding. It effectively gives you a soliton radar, but it feels more rewarding cos you have to earn all the intel you get. Very very very cool.

How are the side ops? I haven't sunk my teeth into them yet.

Just beat the game and the rumors were true, my final time clocked in at 112 min. I also scored a D ranking, which is kinda disappointing.

Here is the start screen:
Bi_0lfbCQAABGxe.jpg:orig

The picture doesn't do the graphics justice to be quite honest, his hair looks much better, whereas the compression here makes it look grainy and stuff.

Also it was very jarring hearing Kiefer Sutherland's voice instead of David Hayter, I'm still not used to it. Gameplay was a lot of fun though, no doubt, and there was some interesting story and I'm sure I would understand a lot better if I had played Peace Walker. There was a "back story" thing in the game, so that kinda helped filled some gaps, but I was still pretty fuzzy going into it.

Semi-spoilers follow (just information regarding the gameplay):
The game definitely seems a bit harder than previous MGS games, you don't have the normal mini map with guard locations and whatnot you have to mark them yourselves with your binoculars, but then they stayed marked. At the same time there are a lot of things that make it easier, regenerating health and this "reflex mode" which happens after a guard notices you, the camera goes slow-mo and you have a chance to pretty easily headshot the guard that found you.

Also the companion app (iDroid) is pretty neat, I used my tablet the whole playthrough and it's nice being able to just look down at your smart device and see the map (and thus the enemy locations that you've already marked). It was also pretty cool to be able to interface with stuff in the game with the app (play back the casettes you find, audio is still played through the TV) and call in the heli for extract.

Now for actual spoilers:
Here is a picture of the start screen after you beat the game:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bi_0c7iCIAAJGQz.jpg:orig

So as you can see after beating the game you have a 8% completion ratio, meaning there is still 92% of the game to be "beaten".

After you beat the game you basically lead yourself into the trailer part of TPP where you see snake in an operating trailer. The 9 year gap is due to him being in a coma, and he now has a hook for his left hand, I wonder how that'll play into the game.

Also the graphics for that last cutscene were gorgeous, even if they were prerendered, it was playing so smoothly too, 60 FPS FTW!

All my pictures were taken from the PS4 share button functionality!

The graphics are gorgeous, I wish the pictures could do them more justice!

Vizzeh

Banned
So for anyone that has completed it, im buying it on PS4, does it live up to a Next-Gen, (now current-gen) game, do we have alot to look forward to in Phantom pain?

Gameplay /10
Story /10
Graphics/performance /10 ?

So for anyone that has completed it, im buying it on PS4, does it live up to a Next-Gen, (now current-gen) game, do we have alot to look forward to in Phantom pain?

Gameplay /10
Story /10

I think it's the most technically impressive looking game I've ever seen. Maybe I'm just hyped but seeing it run in 1080 at that amazing framerate is really something. Game delivers on the next gen dream easily for me, and I pretty much only play games on PC.

Pop

Gameplay /10
Story /10

We doing the rating thing now...

8/10
9.5/10
9/10 (Now it's gorgeous but after seeing Infamous, I gotta go with a 9)

Beat the mission in 63 minutes, scored a C. Was just mainly goofing off, killing enemies. Really really great and looking forward to Phantom Pain.

Having just played a small amount of this game so far I've realized that I really need to go play Peace Walker to get the most out of it. It almost feels like an epilogue to that game with the little of it that I know.

Vizzeh

Banned
We doing the rating thing now...

8/10
9.5/10
9/10 (Now it's gorgeous but after seeing Infamous, I gotta go with a 9)

Beat the mission in 63 minutes, scored a C. Was just mainly goofing off, killing enemies. Really really great and looking forward to Phantom Pain.

Just after a couple of /10 for a bit more of a summary on where it is at, GAF>Gaming Journos

Is that you done with it, or you going back to complete more content?

I think it's the most technically impressive looking game I've ever seen. Maybe I'm just hyped but seeing it run in 1080 at that amazing framerate is really something. Game delivers on the next gen dream easily for me, and I pretty much only play games on PC.

That says a lot, atleast its not a cross-gen style AC4 game (enjoyed that all the same) as going forward with phantom pain its nice to have that eye-candy. 1080/60fps with great textures... download incoming :)

Cheers guys. Hype ^ - I can take a break from Darksouls 2 for a few hours and dive in.

Top Bottom