• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes |OT| Kaz, I'm already a demo

DieH@rd

Banned
Quick Vita remote play impressions:

Everything is perfect except that Vita does not have enough buttons and KojiPro has decided not to create custom control scheme [they've put nothing on main screen]. Backtouch now houses Codec/Binoculars/Run/ChangeCamera buttons, more or less making Binoculars impossible to use.

If they have put few of those buttons in the corners of the touchscreen [like Black Flag did], game would be very much playable. I am really impressed with the remote play, lag is minimal and the visuals/main controls are perfect. It's just that damned backtouch.... I need to get a Vita grip ASAP.

Fatal Error

Neo Member
I'm waiting a bit before I get it but for those that have finished, is the story interesting or exciting if you've watched all the trailers. I feel like I know everything that's gonna happen at this point. Any surprises or twists? Not asking for specifics of course.

you already watched the story, don't expect something major.

Everything is perfect except that Vita does not have enough buttons and KojiPro has decided not to create custom control scheme [they've put nothing on main screen]. Backtouch now houses Codec/Binoculars/Run/ChangeCamera buttons, more or less making Binoculars impossible to use.

If they have put few of those buttons in the corners of the touchscreen [like Black Flag did], game would be very much playable. I am really impressed with the remote play, lag is minimal and the visuals/main controls are perfect. It's just that damned backtouch.... I need to get a Vita grip ASAP.

Yea I had pretty much the same experience with remote play. It was very crisp except using the binos was a nightmare. I think if I could have moved them from the top right of the rear touch to the bottom right I could have done it more naturally. Shame there's no option to customize

Erban1

Stayed up way later than I should to get about 45 minutes of playtime in, and so far I'm very impressed with what Kojima and Co put together.

Graphics are crisp and clean, and everything is very fluid, I haven't seen any frame rate issues thus far. Animations are really good, the blending between different animations in particular looks amazing.

The updated controls are good though I feel like I have a ton to discover and master. Everything has been streamlined but there's still a great deal of depth to what you can do. Context sensitive actions are dependable, as is the sticky cover system (so far). The branching dialog system for hold ups works really well too, this really is an evolution and refinement of MGS.

I'm actually thankful that this controlled slice is out, as I feel I would be completely overwhelmed if I got dumped into the massive world of TPP. This might be the greatest set of training wheels ever, and the entire MGSV saga is shaping up to be something truly special.

EekTheKat

Started last night, and the first game I ever played I died
within the first 10 seconds because I forgot which button was climb up from shimmying along the edge of the cliff. So Snake basically climbed up the cliff, then 10 seconds later fell off again lol

My first run took about
4 hours - a lot of it trying different paths.

It took a couple of games to get used to the game's mechanics, since I haven't seriously tackled a Metal Gear game since MGS3 Vita and I forgot most of how things worked, but once it clicks it really hit me how great this game is.

Best thing I did last night from just goofing around
- two guards in a jeep drove up on me, so I shot them both in the head with tranquilizer darts, put their unconscious bodies back in the jeep, drove around for a bit with two sleeping guards sitting in the passenger seats and launched the entire jeep off a cliff while bailing out at the last moment

jet1911

While playing through Peace Walker, Boss and Kaz are building a new base off the coast of Cuba called Mother Base. You are able to build up the base, research and develop new equipment and recruiting soldiers and POWs during missions. Even building a Metal Gear.

At the end of Ground Zeroes....
All that shit is destroyed. Hence why Kaz and Snake are super pissed.

Haaaaaaaa, it make sense now. Thanks!

I'm replaying the main mission on Hard. It's a lot harder and the AI is way better. They can spot you from a lot farther and they call in the CP saying that they saw someone "suspicious".

Loxley

Stayed up way later than I should to get about 45 minutes of playtime in, and so far I'm very impressed with what Kojima and Co put together.

Graphics are crisp and clean, and everything is very fluid, I haven't seen any frame rate issues thus far. Animations are really good, the blending between different animations in particular looks amazing.

The updated controls are good though I feel like I have a ton to discover and master. Everything has been streamlined but there's still a great deal of depth to what you can do. Context sensitive actions are dependable, as is the sticky cover system (so far). The branching dialog system for hold ups works really well too, this really is an evolution and refinement of MGS.

I'm actually thankful that this controlled slice is out, as I feel I would be completely overwhelmed if I got dumped into the massive world of TPP. This might be the greatest set of training wheels ever, and the entire MGSV saga is shaping up to be something truly special.

There's a pretty high chance in my opinion that Kojima will be paying close attention to how people react to the controls and other updates from MGS4 in GZ. If something is or isn't working, they've got enough time to tweak/change/add/remove things in MGS5.

How do you buy the PS3 US version? Paypal won't transfer funds to my US PSN account, credit card won't either, presumably because I don't have a credit card registered to a US address.

within the first 10 seconds because I forgot which button was climb up from shimmying along the edge of the cliff. So Snake basically climbed up the cliff, then 10 seconds later fell off again lol

My first run took about

It took a couple of games to get used to the game's mechanics, since I haven't seriously tackled a Metal Gear game since MGS3 Vita and I forgot most of how things worked, but once it clicks it really hit me how great this game is.

- two guards in a jeep drove up on me, so I shot them both in the head with tranquilizer darts, put their unconscious bodies back in the jeep, drove around for a bit with two sleeping guards sitting in the passenger seats and launched the entire jeep off a cliff while bailing out at the last moment

Haha! I did the exact same thing with the cliff, not a minute into the game. Reading this makes me feel less stupid :)

DryvBy

Amazon still says preparing to ship. Should have just gotten it from gamestop. Cant believe they droped the ball like this.

I canceled mine. If they send it, I'm going to refuse the package. They really dropped the ball on this and Amazon points. You no longer can use points for pre-orders. WTF, Amazon.

My first run took about

So glad I bought this game on that last part there. I get home in six hours though. Killme. gif

Jb

I thought the custom song option for the helicopter/iDroid wasn't in this but it is: you can import song from the "Cassette tapes" options in the main menu. Blasting the Super Meat Boy soundtrack while I watch the chopper fight an AA battery and a couple of dudes was pretty fun.

not true. the latest we've heard from konami is that TPP is still a cross-gen game

True, and it's not like Kojima to mislead people.

I am surprised it's supposedly cross-gen though. If the rumored early 2015 release is correct, that's still almost a year and a half after current gen launch. I personally hope Konami just decides to focus on the PS4/XB1 version.

Do the guards do any conversing with each other and other prescripted sequences or is it just drones on patrol routes?

Their routes seem very natural, and when 2 of them pass by each other they'll stop to chat for a bit, you can listen in on it with a direction mic/binoculars. Very nice touch.

DieH@rd

Banned
How do you buy the PS3 US version? Paypal won't transfer funds to my US PSN account, credit card won't either, presumably because I don't have a credit card registered to a US address.

Buy PSN credit vouchers on Amazon. There is a reason they are always in the top5 of Amazon videogame charts, everyone outside US is buying them.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I thought the custom song option for the helicopter/iDroid wasn't in this but it is: you can import song from the "Cassette tapes" options in the main menu. Blasting the Super Meat Boy soundtrack while I watch the chopper fight an AA battery and a couple of dudes was pretty fun.

Right. Where is my copy of "Paint It Black"?

Plumpman

The run/walk/crouch/prone/dive transition animations are worth the price alone.
I was running around in the starting area for 20 minutes just messing with all the controls!

mattp

lame
you're gonna charge us 30 bucks for this fucking game and you can't be bothered to spend a day making a remapped control scheme for vita remote play?

The run/walk/crouch/prone/dive transition animations are worth the price alone.
I was running around in the starting area for 20 minutes just messing with all the controls!

Yeah. I was also real impressed with the upgraded animations. Some of the transitions are soo smooth. Snake feels a lot more weighty compared to previous games, which is a good thing.

molnizzle

So is there really no way to silently execute an enemy after you've knocked them out? It's so frustrating to have them keep waking each other up. I feel like I've tried every button combo there is and read the entire manual.

cdkee

Banned
Played about an hour last night. Seems OK, I guess. I snuck around, but I get the feeling you could just kill everyone you come across if you wanted.

DieH@rd

Banned
Konami do this for remote play:
oerlnx.png

The only compromise is changing the zoom level when using binoculars (and it is a small inconvenience), but even this is 10000x better than anything you can put on the back touch.

Loved the trailer, contemplating picking up, has konami said if they plan on adding additional dlc missions e.t.c to keep people coming back? That might sway my decision more as what they have here seems pretty barebones.

Story question:

I didn't play Peace Walker but I watched it on YouTube, and if I remember correctly
Paz turns out to be a triple agent in the end and she betrays MSF and tries to steal Metal Gear Zeke, then she's defeated and thing is plunged into the ocean
, right?

So why is she captured in GZ
by [I'm assuming] the people she was working for? And why does Snake and co want to rescue her?

Top Bottom