• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes |OT| Kaz, I'm already a demo

Alienous

Big Boss Kiefer + Miller is better than Snake + Otacon.

God damn Kiefer has so much range and emotion compared to Hayter. Hayter as Solid/Naked Snake has thee modes, stressed out/panicking, wise cracks, and inquisitive. Kiefer makes Big Boss feel more like a real person and less like a icon.

David lost the wise cracks in Peace Walker (appropriately), and replaced it with extra growl.

Kiefer's delivery of "pretty sure" is better than anything Hayter has said as Snake in the last decade (since MGS3).

jett

D-Member
Finished this thing in 1 hour and 40 minutes, and I actually took my time with it, messed around, rescued all of the hostages in the cell area. Meh is my opinion on it for now. I feel like it should come with a $20 rebate for the real MGSV.

It looks nice for a PS3 game, the framerate is all over the place, in that sense it performs similarly to MGS4, probably a bit worse. It's definitely not the ZOMG experience of MGS2. I suppose it's the best controlling Metal Gear game yet, although it's still awkward and unintuitive in several place. It is what it is. I'm iffy on the open world design, I liked the tightly designed layouts of MGS2 and MGS3, where every section seemed like a puzzle of its own. This game is more annoying than anything else, where you don't know when the thing is going to decide to autosave.

Finished this thing in 1 hour and 40 minutes, and I actually took my time with it, messed around, rescued all of the hostages in the cell area. Meh is my opinion on it. I feel like it should come with a $20 rebate for the real MGSV.

CVG video proves that you can finish the game in 20 minutes. With cutscenes, it is closer to 90 minutes. To me, paying 30 dollars for this is really bad. Dead Rising had something similar, but that game was 15 bucks. I am going to wait until a sale hits to play this. It is a shame since I hear it is a good game, just so short.

jsnepo

I'm listening to the tapes right now. I don't know if I missed it or anything but was it discussed why they couldn't just do fulton recovery for the prisoners?

SJRB

Gold Member
Yeah, I definitely prefer Sutherland over Hayter's "I am gargling cigarett butts" Snake/Boss

Kiefer is REALLY good.

Side Ops are really cool. The map may seem small, until you're looking for one specific person haha. I just hope they randomly spawn somewhere everytime I do the Side Op.

While doing one I randomly rescued some random POW who started crying and thanking me I saved his life while I was carrying him to the chopper. That was fucking brutal, really stood out for me.

Sanjuro

I understand this is basically a glorified demo leading into a larger project.

I'm a MGS and MGS3 fan. Never played the fourth installment, hated the second with a passion.

Is there anything here I would care for?

Finished this thing in 1 hour and 40 minutes, and I actually took my time with it, messed around, rescued all of the hostages in the cell area. Meh is my opinion on it for now. I feel like it should come with a $20 rebate for the real MGSV.

It looks nice for a PS3 game, the framerate is all over the place, in that sense it performs similarly to MGS4, probably a bit worse. It's definitely not the ZOMG experience of MGS2. I suppose it's the best controlling Metal Gear game yet, although it's still awkward and unintuitive in several place. It is what it is. I'm iffy on the open world, I liked the tightly designed layout of MGS2 and MGS3, where every section seemed like a puzzle of its own.

Darn was expecting at least five hours taking time, 1 hr and 40 minutes, thats a $15 game, are there side missions or anything you didnt do?

Alienous

I'm listening to the tapes right now. I don't know if I missed it or anything but was it discussed why they couldn't just do fulton recovery for the prisoners?

I don't think they do. I'll come up with something.

Kaz: Hey, Snake.

Snake: Kaz.

Kaz: Just wanted to let you know, you won't be able to extract any soldier using the fulton recovery system.

Snake: Hmm? (Dat acting)

Kaz: The Cuban airspace is being monitored by American surveillance. We can't risk detection, especially with recent events. And, anyway, the guards you'll meet are marines. It might be difficult to convince them of joining us.

Snake: Got it

Kaz: Focus on the mission. Vehicular extraction is your best option.

(I've been trying to justify everything in the game, down to the marking system. I think I have a pretty good explanation for that).

psychotron

Yeah, I definitely prefer Sutherland over Hayter's "I am gargling cigarett butts" Snake/Boss

David lost the wise cracks in Peace Walker (appropriately), and replaced it with extra growl.

Kiefer's delivery of "pretty sure" is better than anything Hayter has said as Snake in the last decade (since MGS3).

Going to reserve judgement till I play tonight, but I have a real soft spot for Hayter. Sometimes the technically "better" person for the job doesn't always do it for me. I do like Kiefer though, so it's possible.

raven777

about the ending:

who is the person speaking to Paz after the credits? I assumed its Skullface but I saw someone saying Ocelot.

pixlexic

Banned
The amount of color depth and clarity that the extra resolution brings on the ps4 makes it the clear pick if you have both options.

If you only have an xbone don't feel bad the game looks practically the same despite what that higher resolution brings on the ps4.
They did an excellent job with aa at 720p.

Betty

Banned
Any idea how to change helicopter music on PS4?

So far all you can do is go to Cassette Tapes, then move over to the helicopter option and pick from the list they give you, I haven't seen a way to integrate our own music. But hey that's what Music Unlimited is for I guess.
:(

ryuken-d

I understand this is basically a glorified demo leading into a larger project.

I'm a MGS and MGS3 fan. Never played the fourth installment, hated the second with a passion.

Is there anything here I would care for?

I gotta say I loved 4 but on Subsequent playthroughs I skipped the cut scenes and hate waiting on the downloads..great TPS tactical true stealth game. On Big Boss difficulty steath is a must.

TheLight

So far all you can do is go to Cassette Tapes, then move over to the helicopter option and pick from the list they give you, I haven't seen a way to integrate our own music. But hey that's what Music Unlimited is for I guess.
:(

That means no Beach Boys :(

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
I gotta say I loved 4 but on Subsequent playthroughs I skipped the cut scenes and hate waiting on the downloads..great TPS tactical true stealth game. On Big Boss difficulty steath is a must.

Waiting for installing isn't a problem anymore. You can now install the entire game from the start.

jett

D-Member
You can import music that's on your PS3's HD after you finish GZ, there's an option in the main menu.

Darn was expecting at least five hours taking time, 1 hr and 40 minutes, thats a $15 game, are there side missions or anything you didnt do?

Just the main "story" mission, there are some side missions separate from that but they take place in the same location. So I assume it's just more of the same. Speaking of the story, there's no real narrative here, which is why I find the comparisons to short indie games like Gone Home ridiculous. I didn't find anything about the GZ mission satisfying.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Played it for like 10 minutes last night now I'm anxiously waiting to go home to actually finish it.

Keifer as Snake feels fucking weird though, everything about Snake is just so off. The things he says, how he says them, it's kinda surreal.

pixlexic

Banned
Played it for like 10 minutes last night now I'm anxiously waiting to go home to actually finish it.

Keifer as Snake feels fucking weird though, everything about Snake is just so off. The things he says, how he says them, it's kinda surreal.

Well the real problem is the hayter should have never been both snake and bigboss.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Well, no physical copies at the Gamestop I went to. So that sealed the deal in avoiding the Shinikawa Tax™(Me) of $10 more for retail and just got a $20 PSN card to buy it digitally for PS3.

Tora, relay to Konami/Sony: U DOIN IT RITE. $20 this, $20 Revengence Steam... MMMMMmmmmmmm... based Kojima digital strategy.

Also relay that if MGS5 (and previous entries) came out on Steam, I'd buy them sight unseen.

lucius

So you can't start on Hard or did I miss something?

The reversible cover is actually pretty nice on the retail case

Mononoke

Banned

It looks nice for a PS3 game, the framerate is all over the place, in that sense it performs similarly to MGS4, probably a bit worse. It's definitely not the ZOMG experience of MGS2. I suppose it's the best controlling Metal Gear game yet, although it's still awkward and unintuitive in several place. It is what it is. I'm iffy on the open world design, I liked the tightly designed layouts of MGS2 and MGS3, where every section seemed like a puzzle of its own. This game is more annoying than anything else, where you don't know when the thing is going to decide to autosave.

And you have no side missions left? That's crazy. I mean, I knew this was short. But I thought this had a decent amount of side missions/ops to do (like Peacewalker).

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Good lord this game is good. Phantom Pain is going to be absolutely fantastic if this is anything to judge by. That game just shot way up my list of most wanted games.

I don't plan to get this, and as a result I have been rather lackadaisical in following news about this but on the previous page Betty posted her(?) final stats screen. Something I'm curious about is in relation to the mission rank; has it been announced if the "Peace Walker"-like mission ranking is due to the length of the demo, or mission structure, and will the animal codename ranking system return for "The Phantom Pain"?, or is the "S, A, B, etc." system remaining in place for future installments? I only ask as while I didn't mind the letter system in Peace Walker given that it was for a portable, I have always had a soft-spot for the codename system so I'm hoping it'll be returning in "The Phantom Pain" yet, as mentioned, I haven't really been paying attention to much news relating to this so I was unaware that the codename system wasn't in place for this installment.

You can download it all in one go now, so no redownloading is necessary anymore.

raven777

I don't like how pick-up button is circle for both item and body.

I tried to hide the body so I picked up a soldier and tried to lay him down but there were items around there so it kept picking up items instead of laying down the soldier.

Alienous

Nanomachines!

No, I've got something better than that. Brace yourself, because here's my exposition dump (... wow, that ... I didn't mean for it to sound like that). My explanation for the marking system:

Kaz: Snake, this is a solo mission, but we have a team back at Mother Base giving you live intelligence support.

Snake: ... ?

Kaz: The Recon and R&D teams have been working on a surveillance vehicle. They're pretty proud of the results, and this mission will be its first time in operation. It's based on Tadiran Mastiff UAV ...

Snake: From the blueprints we acquired?

Kaz: Exactly Boss. UAV stands for 'Unmanned Aerial Vehicle'

Snake: Unmanned? (Yes, every response from Snake will be a question).

Kaz: Yeah, Boss. We have a team manning it back at Mother Base, but it's still early tech so there are some issues ...

Snake: What issues?

Kaz: The resolution of the on-board cameras isn't great. It's running on Microsoft technology. Image quality is severely hampered by the altitude and the low weight imaging equipment, but it can still make out movement and general shapes.

Snake: Meaning I'll have to identify possible targets as hostiles before the team can track them?

Kaz: You got it Boss. The R&D team has optimized the design as best as they can, and they've have made some improvements to the original design. It's capable of thermal imaging, meaning that even indoor targets can be marked for tracking. All of this data is live updated to your iDroid. When you're still we'll be able to ping their relative positions in 3D on the device.

Snake: Understood (!).

Makes total sense.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
The seamless cover mechanics took me by surprise...sooo good :)
I was surprised by how streamlined EVERYTHING is.

Everything is integrated directly into the gameplay without ever cutting to sub-screens including codec information.

I also loved how the cutscenes were basically a continuous cut almost as if a floating camera was moving through the scene.

aro52

And you have no side missions left? That's crazy. I mean, I knew this was short. But I thought this had a decent amount of side missions/ops to do (like Peacewalker).

The "Side Ops" don't unlock until you've finished the story mission. He's likely just talking about the story mission.

I also loved how the cutscenes were basically a continuous cut almost as if a floating camera was moving through the scene.

Except that Kojima went a LITTLE overboard with the shaky cam!

No, I've got something better than that. Brace yourself, because here's my exposition dump (... wow, that ... I didn't mean for it to sound like that). My explanation for the marking system:

Makes total sense.

Are you writing fanfic for MGS in here? XD

Even when I fail the No-Alerts run towards the end, I still go for the end of Ground Zeroes just to watch that ending cutscene. Damn,
that battle cry when Kiefer Snake goes berserk at his comrade's death...
, it redeems Kiefer Snake for me.

The "Side Ops" don't unlock until you've finished the story mission. He's likely just talking about the story mission

That's pretty lame and immersion breaking. Was hoping you could seriously take your time with the game before finishing the storyline to extend the experience, but it kinda really pushes the generic aspect of the side ops by having them happen afterwards

Top Bottom