• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes |OT| Kaz, I'm already a demo

FrankWza

Pretty huge Metal Gear fan here but haven't played through PO or PW, though not for lack of trying. I know nobody cares about PO, but how important is PW to this? Important enough that I should play it first? Or can I jump in without worry?

I say play PW first. But you could also just youtube it. PO is not really necessary so definitely youtube that.

Alienous

Nah, I still got the side missions. There are four that unlock after you beat the story mission (Ground Zeroes), and another one when you collect 9 almost invisible patches scattered in the base.

I played one of the side missions btw, it was really lame. You had to spot a solider, interrogate, go get a cassette tape from a watchtower, and leave. It took me 15 minutes. Instead of this crap they should've created some new VR missions of sorts.

There's one side mission I like the concept of, where (context spoilers)
you have two targets
. That one seems like the most interesting.

JayEH

The music for Snake's opening scene is amazing. The slight change in the music when he his about to take off his goggles is spot on.

Alienous

I miss Cam Clarke.

Watch the MGS2 Digital Graphic Novel. It was dubbed a year or two ago, by the whole cast. Cam Clarke reprises his role. And it's a really good retelling of the events of MGS2.

You could also watch the MGS1 Digital Graphic Novel, of course.

Betty

Banned
I miss Cam Clarke.

I miss John Cygan.

Did you miss him 6 years ago?

Where was all the crying and bellyaching for Cam Clarke as Liquid in 2008?

There was a fair amount of it if I recall, but with the japanese VA for Ocelot dying, Kojima decided the character should only be voiced by 1 VA and so it came down to a choice between Cam Clark or Patrick Zimmerman, picking either would have been bittersweet no matter what.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Haven't played it yet but my impression from the GB QL is that the amount of time it takes to play through does not equal the clear time you get at the end of the game. Sounds like Clear Time is just the gameplay time, not including cutscenes or retries.

What? You must have left it on, drove to mcdonalds, ate in, used the bathroom, blew a tire and finally got home.

As I said, I simply dont care to "finish" it fast. I walked around the map, tried certain things, explored the areas, lured out guards, checked for conversations etcetc.

You can easily spend 4-5 hours on the first mission if you try to check out everything and not just try to finish the mission.

One thing I also tried was (just some fucking around with game mechanics):
To have a roadblock and stop incoming traffic in the area and check whats in the cars. I killed a soldier, put him on the street, and then waited for enemies to drive by. They'd stop at the soldier, get out of their vehicle (for me to kill them) and then I'd have vehicles on the street that other vehicles cant drive by. That way enemies couldnt exit the map and I could interrogate all + have access to all vehicles and any possible secret they might hold.

screenshot2014-03-18aivkfv.png

Just let it go, Hideo.

Go do something new.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
What are chances Kojima will remake MG1&2 with Fox engine as part of the Solid series?
I really want MGS1 to be the next Metal Gear Solid or something leading into it then the MGremake.

also is there a G2 Steelbook available for PS4?

Alienous

Konami will never let him move away from the franchise. Unless he breaks with Konami my guess is he is making MGS games until he retires.

Konami would absolutely let him move away from the franchise. Kojima won't move away from the franchise.

He'll never respect a Metal Gear Solid game without 'A Hideo Kojima game' on the cover. When you think about the Rising situation, I imagine how difficult it must've been trying to develop that with Kojima outwardly voicing the fact the he doesn't think his team is capable. And a game like Portable Ops is just erased from meaningful existence because Kojima didn't direct it.

He could stop making MGS games if he was willing to pass the baton. I'm sure of it. But no, it's Kojima Productions after all (even Quantic Dream isn't called Cage's Game Development Studio) and Kojima doesn't seem willing to give his team the opportunity to try, and fail, and eventually succeed. They had a new genre to try to understand, and rather than being given the time to make a good game, Kojima canned it and gave it to someone more experienced. That's brutal. It's almost like they were set up for failure, just because the expectations are so ridiculously high.

So he likely will be making MGS games until he retires. But I imagine it's more of an ego thing, than a contractual obligation.

What are chances Kojima will remake MG1&2 with Fox engine as part of the Solid series?
I really want MGS1 to be the next Metal Gear Solid or something leading into it then the MGremake.

He might get someone else to do that. I think the WW2 game could easily be the next game as it can build on the gameplay concepts of TPP quite easily. Other obvious direction would be a game set post MGS4 but I don't think he has any interest in that.

sooo....Kojima's a goddamn genius. once you realize just how many ways you can tackle infiltations (i.e. at the admin building), and how varied they are...you can't help but just be in awe.

Betty

Banned

I'd prefer a MG1/2 remake and then for Kojima to call time on this saga, if Konami want to continue the franchise (lol, if) they can start a new story after MGS4 with a blank slate, all new characters, all new threats, making it more or less a new beginning... that way when the inevitably fuck it up it won't hurt as bad because it won't be tied to the previous saga.

also is there a G2 Steelbook available for PS4?

My bets are on Phantom Pain Limited Edition/Premium Package having a steelbook to hold both Ground Zeroes and Phantom Pain in one box.

Betty

Banned
Any exemple?

This might be gameplay spoilery but w/e.

I got in through a drainage pipe, that I only found out about because I followed a guard who mentioned something about killing a prisoner. I saved the prisoner from execution and he revealed the location of the drainage pipe entrance.

Another person just hopped in the back of a truck, laid down and it took him all the way into the Admin building.

This might be gameplay spoilery but w/e.

I got in through a drainage pipe, that I only found out about because I followed a guard who mentioned something about killing a prisoner. I saved the prisoner from execution and he revealed the location of the drainage pipe entrance.

Another person just hopped in the back of a truck, laid down and it took him all the way into the Admin building.

OK that's nice, I need MOAR. haha

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
He might get someone else to do that. I think the WW2 game could easily be the next game as it can build on the gameplay concepts of TPP quite easily. Other obvious direction would be a game set post MGS4 but I don't think he has any interest in that.
It is Solid turn next thou, Solid MGS1, Raiden MGS2,Boss MGS3, Solid MGS4, Boss MGS5
MGS2 throws it out a bit because of Raiden, but that how it work rite? lol

Blader

He's said before that he doesn't want to do that himself but would like someone else to.

It is Solid turn next thou, Solid MGS1, Raiden MGS2,Boss MGS3, Solid MGS4, Boss MGS5
MGS2 throws it out a bit because of Raiden, but that how it work rite? lol

Toss Rising in between 4 and 5, and it keeps the pattern going. :p

Broman1978

Bought the game for Xbox One... The game might be 720p but it looked reeeeally good and Sharp enough on my 60" plasma...The lighting is absolutly phenomenal! :)

The opening cutscene is the one we've already seen a bunch already right?
I ask because I play MGS games with a filter on so my 10 year old can watch IE: tranq everyone only, no kills and skip the adult cutscenes. Peace Walker in particular was PERFECT for this (it was T for Teen)

For those that are wondering how to do the Infiltration trophy:
Ride the truck all the way to the base, and hop out as soon as it clears the gate. Make your way up to the central tower (which will be to your left). There's a few guards to keep an eye out for, and a camera in the tower, but once you've cleared them and picked up the cassette in the tower, then just jump down and back into the truck for your ride out.
Took me an hour or two last night to figure it out (hardest part was finding and interrogating the damn contact).

cackhyena

Ride the truck all the way to the base, and hop out as soon as it clears the gate. Make your way up to the central tower (which will be to your left). There's a few guards to keep an eye out for, and a camera in the tower, but once you've cleared them then just jump down and back into the truck for your ride out.
Took me an hour or two last night to figure it out (hardest part was finding and interrogating the damn contact).

Can you just walk up to the contact? Guy knows you are on his side as soon as you grab him. Wondering if you can just talk it out like gentlemen.

Ride the truck all the way to the base, and hop out as soon as it clears the gate. Make your way up to the central tower (which will be to your left). There's a few guards to keep an eye out for, and a camera in the tower, but once you've cleared them then just jump down and back into the truck for your ride out.

Wait, what?
Does this mean completing the mission without interrogating the contact at all
? You make it sound like
one is supposed to just go into the tower to nab the cassette tape then just go, without bothering with the contact

Betty

Banned
The opening cutscene is the one we've already seen a bunch already right?
I ask because I play MGS games with a filter on so my 10 year old can watch IE: tranq everyone only, no kills and skip the adult cutscenes. Peace Walker in particular was PERFECT for this (it was T for Teen)

It's the same, yes. But uh... even the parts without violence and whatnot can be quite disturbing for younger viewers, the end cutscene in particular you wouldn't want to show to a 10 year old.

Wrong, PS4 version is just about 4GB.

It's the same, yes. But uh... even the parts without violence and whatnot can be quite disturbing for younger viewers, the end cutscene in particular you wouldn't want to show to a 10 year old.

Wrong, PS4 version is just about 4GB.

Figured as much and yeah, he won't see it. Just me runnin around and being sneaky :)

Can you just walk up to the contact? Guy knows you are on his side as soon as you grab him. Wondering if you can just talk it out like gentlemen.
Nah, apparently putting him in a chokehold is the sign that was agreed upon to show he's friendly lol

Wait, what?
Does this mean completing the mission without interrogating the contact at all
? You make it sound like
one is supposed to just go into the tower to nab the cassette tape then just go, without bothering with the contact
Yep, no contact made. Once you know where it is
the central tower
, then you don't need to do that step anymore.

Top Bottom