• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes |OT| Kaz, I'm already a demo

That's pretty lame and immersion breaking. Was hoping you could seriously take your time with the game before finishing the storyline to extend the experience, but it kinda really pushes the generic aspect of the side ops by having them happen afterwards

Yeah, that is pretty friggin lame.

I like to do a lot of the side stuff first.

BTW how large is this game exactly? I hope its not some small area.

LeBart

Well the real problem is the hayter should have never been both snake and bigboss.

What makes more sense: That Big Boss' voice would suddenly morph into that of a Hollywood superstar after 3 games, or that two clones would share the same voice? (edit: I guess a man and his clone, to be precise)

If they ever remake MG1 and 2, then it would be a problem, but in that case they should've brought back Richard Doyle instead. It would've been the perfect transition between Naked Snake and MGS4 Big Boss.

Mononoke

Banned
The "Side Ops" don't unlock until you've finished the story mission. He's likely just talking about the story mission.

Except that Kojima went a LITTLE overboard with the shaky cam!

Ah okay. I mean I knew the game was short, but I also figured you could really dig into the side ops or whatever. I thought he was saying he did the Mission + All the side Ops in 1 hour and 30 min.

Patrols are random, fuck! >_<

the truck didn't come around this time...

I was surprised by how streamlined EVERYTHING is.

Everything is integrated directly into the gameplay without ever cutting to sub-screens including codec information.

I also loved how the cutscenes were basically a continuous cut almost as if a floating camera was moving through the scene.

aww yiss.

fade_

So I haven't really been paying attention to this thread. Just picked up my boxed copy from the store. Is there any indication on the box that it includes the preorder bonus? I preordered mine but it doesnt really say anything on the box about it. Just wanted to make sure before I opened it!

What makes more sense: That Big Boss' voice would suddenly morph into that of a Hollywood superstar after 3 games, or that two clones would share the same voice? (edit: I guess a man and his clone, to be precise)
But then why didn't Liquid Snake and Solidus Snake also sound like Solid Snake?

Hell why are we even talking about the science of clones? They haven't cloned people in real life!

So I haven't really been paying attention to this thread. Just picked up my boxed copy from the store. Is there any indication on the box that it includes the preorder bonus? I preordered mine but it doesnt really say anything on the box about it. Just wanted to make sure before I opened it!
You want indication? They printed the blurb about the preorder DLC onto the package slip. =_=

Despite the length really enjoying this, everything is so streamlined and feels great, escaping the compound is tense and pretty thrilling. Plus sutherland is pretty good, didnt bother me at all. Time to start those side ops, S-ranks, and general what can I all do that come with metal gear games.

Senoculum

Amazon still says preparing to ship. Should have just gotten it from gamestop. Cant believe they droped the ball like this.

Same thing happened to me with Dark Souls 2. And what I did was purchase it in store, and cancel my pre-order.

I don't know what happened, but Amazon Canada really sucks now.

Because this series is fucking dumb! But of the two propositions I give, Big Boss suddenly transforming into Jack Bauer is even more ludicrous to me.
I never watched 24, so I have no baseline for Kiefer Snake outside of... Phone Booth? And I barely remember that. He doesn't sound out of place to me.

I'm conflicted. It seems short but I really like metal gear. Is the ps3 version okay? Thinking of sharing with a friend at 10$ each. I'm so close to buying it I just need a little nudge to feel good about it.

I'm still wondering where this series is going to go after this game. I think Big Boss' storyline will be done. Solid Snakes' is also done.

So what else can they do?

I'm still wondering where this series is going to go after this game. I think Big Boss' storyline will be done. Solid Snakes' is also done.

Depending how this ends, there's potentially more to fill. The original Metal Gear takes place in 1995, but The Phantom Pain takes place in 1984. So you have 11 years in between the two.

MormaPope

Banned

Mgs3-the-boss.jpg

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Still playing the first mission, 4 hours and counting.

... yeah, I am cerainly getting more playtime out of this than 2 hours.

How, how exactly are you playing, I see people finishing this in 80 minutes, collectibles?

First mission took me 6 hours :p

Explored every nook and crany. And took a ton of screenshots for GAF while doing it.

I don't play games to get to the ending. I play them to explore and live in their world, take in the pretty sights, and find the secrets the developers have undoubtedly hidden away from the direct path.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
How, how exactly are you playing, I see people finishing this in 80 minutes, collectibles?

Yeah, finding all the weapon locations and playing around with them. I also tried what happens if I snug into a car that is being driven away, what happens if I blow up certain things, and currently doing a proper playthrough in which I want to kill all enemies so I can scour the map for the last collectibles before finishing the mission later.

First mission took me 5 and a half hours :p

Explored every nook and crany.

I don't play games to get to the ending. I play them to explore and live in their world, and take in the pretty sights.

Yup, guess thats also where I will end up.

Pretty huge Metal Gear fan here but haven't played through PO or PW, though not for lack of trying. I know nobody cares about PO, but how important is PW to this? Important enough that I should play it first? Or can I jump in without worry?

genbatzu

for all those waiting for the 20th to get Ground Zeroes in their first language:

the us (ps4 psn store) version is multilanguage, including EFIGS
voice is english only as always.

Draper

Very polished, fun experience. Did the game seem unusually bright for a night time scene for anyone else or do I need to adjust my plasma?

look up and not only does the screen get covered in rain drops but the pitter patter sounds to go along with it. much detail, so nice, amaze o_o

CyReN

Just picked it up from Family Video, any tips or anything for newcomers to the series or a "MGS in 5 minutes" like thing I should watch before starting?

So what's up with the lack of knife?
How do I kill sleeping guards if my silencer is gone??? :x

Love this "game" just hate the tease. I need Phantom Pain nowwww

David Hayter was cast as Big Boss because at the time, he was the English counterpart of Akio Otsuka who is the japanese voice of Snake, Big Boss, and Solidus. I think Liquid has a different voice because he's supposed to be a different nationality from the other three? Or something... but the real "mistake" as it were would be Hayter not voicing Solidus.

Not to say I don't agree that Solidus having his own voice is cooler, Hayter would sound silly talking to himself but just saying... it's the japanese version that set the precedent that the "Snake voice" is something all the clones except Liquid share and Hayter being Snake in MGS3 was just trying to be faithful to that. If Cygan or someone else who had never voiced Solid was Big Boss, that would have been less faithful to what they were trying to accomplish in the japanese version which was mirroring Naked Snake and Solid Snake as part of the theme of the game.

What? You must have left it on, drove to mcdonalds, ate in, used the bathroom, blew a tire and finally got home.

Haven't played it yet but my impression from the GB QL is that the amount of time it takes to play through does not equal the clear time you get at the end of the game. Sounds like Clear Time is just the gameplay time, not including cutscenes or retries.

Alienous

Just picked it up from Family Video, any tips or anything for newcomers to the series or a "MGS in 5 minutes" like thing I should watch before starting?

How about 4 hours?

It really wouldn't be fair to condense the story down any further. All you need to know is about MGS3, and that should be experienced from start to finish, even if watched.

If not just play Ground Zeroes. It won't entirely make sense, but you'll have fun.

Vinc

I was on a media blackout for this. I just booted it up on PS4. Oh my god, these graphics. That presentation. No words.

So what's up with the lack of knife?
How do I kill sleeping guards if my silencer is gone??? :x

Love this "game" just hate the tease. I need Phantom Pain nowwww
Why kill them if they are asleep? They will not wake up unless they are discovered by another soldier.
You can kick them awake and immediately CQC hold and slit their throats, if you so please.

jett

D-Member
And you have no side missions left? That's crazy. I mean, I knew this was short. But I thought this had a decent amount of side missions/ops to do (like Peacewalker).

Nah, I still got the side missions. There are four that unlock after you beat the story mission (Ground Zeroes), and another one when you collect 9 almost invisible patches scattered in the base.

I played one of the side missions btw, it was really lame. You had to spot a solider, interrogate, go get a cassette tape from a watchtower, and leave. It took me 15 minutes. Instead of this crap they should've created some new VR missions of sorts.

Top Bottom