• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes |OT| Kaz, I'm already a demo

Other details are lost, though. Where are the tranq darts I'm putting in these fools?

I didn't notice the missing tranq darts over the fact that the guards reacted to where, when, how I shot them with it(and how many times). Watching them get kinda sleepy....dozing back to their posts (or towards me), limping sometimes...it was pretty awesome.

Also, I REALLY suck at this game. D Ranked Ground Zeroes. I am ashamed.

A few questions for people who bought the game: How does the driving feel in Ground Zeroes? is it good or bad? And on a Scale of 1 to 10: hows Keifer's Take on Big Boss?

I'm really interested in getting this, I have completed almost all of the MGS games ( except PW but i'm working on beating the final boss) As a fan of the Franchise. Should I get this?

Betty

Banned
A few questions for people who bought the game: How does the driving feel in Ground Zeroes? is it good or bad? And on a Scale of 1 to 10: hows Keifer's Take on Big Boss?

I'm really interested in getting this, I have completed almost all of the MGS games ( except PW but i'm working on beating the final boss) As a fan of the Franchise. Should I get this?

If you're a fan, yes. Kiefer's performance was about an 8 or 9 out of 10 for me and I haven't driven yet but the turn radius on the vehicles isn't that great allegedly.

mattp

You can, I wasn't 100% sure but I did it myself and it works. Just turn off Marker Display in Display settings.

EDIT: beaten.

yeah but does the game feel broken if you do that?
i want that stuff off too but if its designed with that in mind, then turning it off is just going to make things annoying

when playing the last of us it totally felt like the game was designed without that x-ray vision mode in mind, so it felt "right" when it turned off
hopefully its the same for mgs5

Yoda

Despite how short the story mission is this game alone justify's MY purchase of a PS4. Amazing visual fidelity and intelligent game design.

Too bad the DOF effect blurs out Snake when you do a close up zoom to his face to take screenshots, whereas you can see all of the fine facial details without blur on the ps3 version.

Oh that's weird...

Can someone take a screenshot to show what it looks like?

potam

Banned
It was really jarring hearing Sutherland's voice instead of Hayter for the voice of Snake.

I didn't think it was that noticeable. But I do think Kojima's reasoning for the change is kind of shitty. It's not as if Sutherland put on some epic performance...but maybe in the Phantom Pain.

iLLmAtlc

When I do eventually buy this game I fully plan on doing a runthrough with the new features (tagging + reflex mode) and see what's up. Doing it otherwise would just be to rob yourself of part of the gaming experience, and for what, self-confidence?

scoobs

Too bad the DOF effect blurs out Snake when you do a close up zoom to his face to take screenshots, whereas you can see all of the fine facial details without blur on the ps3 version.

Its a shame this game is releasing on the same week as Infamous... makes this game look pretty gosh darn ugly.

MormaPope

Banned

I drove a huge truck meant for carrying supplies, it felt quite realistic, I ran someone over in a stealthy manner, it felt fantastic. Vehicle stealth is exhilarating and risky. Kiefer's performance gets a 9/10 from me. Kiefer's performance makes Big Boss seem more human.

Erban1

Has anyone tried to do some of the tricks you could do in the previous games? Like shooting walkie talkies or shooting the '!' Above someone's head?

I won't be able to check until tonight, but I'm hoping we run into some cool stuff over the next few days

Alienous

When I do eventually buy this game I fully plan on doing a runthrough with the new features (tagging + reflex mode) and see what's up. Doing it otherwise would just be to rob yourself of part of the gaming experience, and for what, self-confidence?

Those aren't features, they're help for the weak.

Do you also play easy modes for the 'full experience'.

Bah. You're the "listen mode" type, aren't you?

Fehyd

Banned
Sutherland is a definite step down. His performance was downright boring at times, and he is just way too similar sounding to Kaz. Maybe if he went deeper I'd believe it more, but it was almost like it was a non issue. They paid all this money for a guy who didn't really add anything to the role. He's just too monotone, like he just wants to cash his check and leave.

Unfortunately I shouldve known when kojima started gushing about 24 on twitter.

Bah. You're the "listen mode" type, aren't you?

Oh you're one of THOSE guys, huh? :p

Even though I never actually aim in Reflex Mode, I keep it unlocked because I like the effect when I'm spotted. I'd rather have it on and absolutely avoid any way for it to activate than turn it off. THAT's the real battle of wits.

iLLmAtlc

That's kind of a different question tho, because easy isn't a gameplay feature that they've added. I've enjoyed almost all of the gameplay features KP has implemented in the past so why not give a shot?

Something else that's different about GZ is the game is supposedly less than an hour long. Is it really worth it to not see how the new gameplay feature was implemented when it takes so less time to do it?

Alienous

Sutherland is a definite step down. His performance was downright boring at times, and he is just way too similar sounding to Kaz. Maybe if he went deeper I'd believe it more, but it was almost like it was a non issue. They paid all this money for a guy who didn't really add anything to the role. He's just too monotone, like he just wants to cash his check and leave.

David Hayter would've taken away from the game. Seriously. His performance in Peace Walker, and obsession with ending every line with "urgh", is proof enough of that. Seriously. It's worse than hammy, it's just bad.

"Urgh, Kaz, what's happening with Mother Baaaaase". Terrible.

jet1911

I drove a huge truck meant for carrying supplies, it felt quite realistic, I ran someone over in a stealthy manner, it felt fantastic. Vehicle stealth is exhilarating and risky. Kiefer's performance gets a 9/10 from me. Kiefer's performance makes Big Boss seem more human.

??

MormaPope

Banned

Completely and utterly wrong. I'm imagining the performance Hayter would've gave, uninspired and phoned in. Hayter added nothing personal or meaningful to the Big Boss character, with Kiefer Big Boss feels less like a manufactured videogame icon and more like an actual person or character.

You know whats boring? Gravel voice with the same inflection in every single conversation. Big Boss with Hayter would have the same tone for every situation. Kiefer actually gives a fuck and it shows. Its hard for me to take someone seriously if they say Kiefer's performance is lacking and that Hayter would've been better.

I jumped in a huge truck and drove past manned guard towers and guards that flashed lights towards me. Going towards Chico I gunned it towards a guard on the road, he panicked but I squished him before he could alert the other guards or fire his weapon.

Edzi

David Hayter would've taken away from the game. Seriously. His performance in Peace Walker, and obsession with ending every line with "urgh", is proof enough of that. Seriously. It's worse than hammy, it's just bad.

"Urgh, Kaz, what's happening with Mother Baaaaase". Terrible.

Judging from your posts, you seem to really dislike Hayter.

His performances were great in MGS1-3 and they captured the tone of the series well. Just the right amount of serious and goofy, just like MGS as a whole. I know people think the quality of his work declined from MGS4 onward, but I maintain that that was a problem with the directing and not Hayter's ability to voice a good Snake. The fact that Kojima ditched him in MGSV for a (from what I've heard) really bland sounding Sutherland is one of the biggest disappointments for me when it comes to GZ/TPP.

I guess it just depends on what aspects of MGS people liked more. I don't like Sutherland partly because I don't like this new overly serious and "Hollywood" direction that Kojima seems to be taking MGS. I can see how fans who prefer this shift would also prefer Kiefer, but for me it just feels wrong.

Went to walmart and was gonna buy this and ffx hd l.e. and the registers wouldn't ring the game up. Guess I'll try again friday when I get infamous.

Anything like this happen to anyone else?

We're currently looking into this. Appears to be linked to issues on Wallmart's side, should be corrected anytime today/tomorrow.

SJRB

Gold Member

Kiefer added nuance, something Hayter has never done.

MormaPope

Banned

His performances were great in MGS1-3 and they captured the tone of the series well. Just the right amount of serious and goofy, just like MGS as a whole. I know people think the quality of his work declined from MGS4 onward, but I maintain that that was a problem with the directing and not Hayter's ability to voice a good Snake. The fact that Kojima ditched him in MGSV for a (from what I've heard) really bland sounding Sutherland is one of the biggest disappointments for me when it comes to GZ/TPP.

Actually the majority of people like Kiefer's performance, but whatever.

I guess it just depends on what aspects of MGS people liked more. I don't like Sutherland partly because I don't like this new overly serious and "Hollywood" direction that Kojima seems to be taking MGS
. I can see how fans who prefer this shift would also prefer Kiefer, but for me it's just not the same.

All the past characters from Peace Walker that returned are voiced by their respective voice actor. "MGS V IS HOLLYWOOD" might be the weakest and weirdest criticism lobbed at the series yet. Jack and Rose are named Jack and Rose because of Titanic.

Alienous

His performances in MGS1-3 were fantastic. But MGS4 onwards he took the direction "sound old" as licence to just start growling mid speech. And now it's like he can't get back to what the voice sounded like. Listen to a MGS3 codec, then a Peace Walker tape, and the difference is clear. It's Christian Bale's Batman voice levels of bad.

Sutherland doesn't sound bland. He sounds like a person, not a character. Because Kiefer is acting. And similar to how Hayter gruffs up his own voice when reading as Snake, Kiefer does the same but he keeps it at an acceptable level.

Kiefer just puts in a better performance than Hayter has done in the last decade, since MGS3.

Edzi

Actually the majority of people like Kiefer's performance, but whatever.

I didn't mention anything about what the majority thought, though I don't know how you can actually be sure of that. I just said he doesn't sound great to me personally, especially within the context of the MGS series.

All the past characters from Peace Walker that returned are voiced by their respective voice actor. "MGS V IS HOLLYWOOD" might be the weakest and weirdest criticism lobbed at the series yet. Jack and Rose are named Jack and Rose because of Titanic.

Maybe Hollywood is the wrong way to phrase it. It just feels like it's going in a different direction this time, with Kojima trying to make it even more serious and grim than before (but I say this not having played PW and GZ yet). Bringing in a well known actor seems to be a part of that for me, but like I said, that's just how I see it.

N30RYU

A Metal Gear without Hayter is less Metal Gear...

When Big Boss talks in this game... I know it's Big Boss... but isn't Big Boss

MormaPope

Banned
I didn't mention anything about what the majority thought (Though I don't know how you can actually be sure of that). I just said he doesn't sound great to me personally, especially within the context of the MGS series.

I assumed "from what I heard" was based around other people's assertions.

I don't know if you're hiding good enough then. When I hide they go through a few phases and go back to normal.
Im after rescuing
paz
. On my way to the RP someone spotted me. And I ran like a bitch. There, they finished the phase and went to alert. Here I am hiding in a spotlight tower and nothing.

Alienous

Peace Walker spoilers: Listen to this and tell me that he doesn't butcher this entire moment.

Anyway, Hayter was always better playing the smarmy detached special ops soldier. That's the role he auditioned for, and got the job. The character of Big Boss, a different character, was handed to him. He's delivery doesn't evoke the charisma needed for Big Boss, like Doyle and Sutherland's does.

tanooki27

I agree. Hayter had a way of tucking slyly humorous inflections into his lines - very unique.

this is not to say that keef isn't worth his pay. we'll find out more about his style when TPP hits.

molnizzle

Man, the bonus missions are a real drag. They fall right back into the most bullshit mechanic of all stealth games where as soon as you're spotted you fail the mission. I hope that bullshit doesn't find its way into The Phantom Pain.

I really shouldn't have purchased this. The main mission was decent, but the bonus missions are pure shit. What a waste of $30.

MormaPope

Banned

You know what Ground Zeroes reminds me of when it comes to narrative and characterization?

MGS1. Ground Zeroes feels fresh and unique.

Scoot2005

Banned
Holy shit that was short. I knew it was gonna be short, but not like this. Are the side missions in the same base or are they in different areas?

Tookay

With all due respect, perhaps the benefits of adding Kiefer won't be apparent until he has something more to work with...

... like The Phantom Pain.

Im after rescuing
paz
. On my way to the RP someone spotted me. And I ran like a bitch. There, they finished the phase and went to alert. Here I am hiding in a spotlight tower and nothing.

At that point they know
she
is gone because they check after you're spotted. You are pretty much screwed and have to get out ASAP.

SJRB

Gold Member
Im after rescuing
paz

Well yeah, the base is on full alert because
a prisoner [Paz] escaped

I agree. Hayter had a way of tucking slyly humorous inflections into his lines - very unique.

this is not to say that keef isn't worth his pay. we'll find out more about his style when TPP hits.

Given the extremely serious tone of Ground Zeroes and The Phantom Pain, perhaps Hayer's trademark "tongue-in-cheek" goofy delivery wasn't exactly what Kojima was going for. There is some serious shit going down, the time for goofiness is over.

Top Bottom