• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes |OT| Kaz, I'm already a demo

Raynes

Holy Shit GAF.

This is amazing.

From gamersdye: MGS: Ground Zeroes PS4 intro video (no spoileers it's same as the E3 trailer)
http://www.gamersyde.com/news_mgs_ground_zeroes_ps4_intro_video-15117_en.html

That quality, I can't even tell it's on a console. LOOKS AMAZING.

I was tempted to watch this cause I neither have a PS4 nor Xbone, and won't be able to get one anytime soon to play this ):

Really wish this was on PC!!

Now THAT is next-gen! Kojima did not do himself any favors by not uploading the video in high quality like that, how it's supposed to look.

Storm360

So how big is the install for this game? My Xbox One HDD is dangerously close to being full, and I want to make sure I don't have to uninstall anything to play this game.

It's 4gb of the PS4, and 2gb on the PS3/360, so I assume it will be in that ballpark, can't find a definite answer though

nillapuddin

If I buy this game next week I wont miss out on whatever special recruits or whatever is on that tacky label right? Its not a preorder thing?

Been playing for a bit and I'm really enjoying my time testing out the new engine and exploring. I can see myself getting the twenty dollars I spent out of this.

Gaz_RB

Ahh OK, recovering from broken stealth is possible, but you have to plan for it and play extra careful. That seems about right for a stealth-only mission.

Was worried it was one of those insta-fail as soon as human eyes fall on you - that right there would be heinous design. I love hardcore stealth games tho.

This game does seem like it needed many more side missions.

Yeah I would have loved more randomly generated VR type missions. The game is ridiculously fun, I just wish there was more missions.

Edzi

But I keep seeing a few here in Gaf who have said that the game looks underwhelming graphically?

I haven't played the game yet so I can't really say, but I'm sure that if you've liked what we've seen from images and clips, you'll probably be satisfied when its running on your tv at home. I've learned to never listen to the internet when it comes to graphics, since most of the loudest people are the ones that expect everything to look and run like it would on a super high end pc.

CloudNein

The PS3 has definite problems with frame rate drop. It's actually bothering me quite a bit. Been playing on PC too much lately. I may even pick it up again when I eventually get a PS4 just to see it in a better light.

Just like in MGS4 Kojima sacrificed frame rate for pretty graphics at times.

Other than that , the game is ballin' so far.

SJRB

Gold Member
Just did the casette retrieval Side Op: took me 88 minutes which resulted in a D-rank with -9999 points for time hahaha!

Also, remember that gameplay demo where the narrator said the contact would be harder to find in the full game?
He lied.

My initial thoughts...

+ Hi-res MGS finally
+ The squarish/locked axis movement is gone, woohoo! And you move well!
+ Gunplay feels really smooth, less robotic than previously
+ It's Metal Gear, just being in the world with the series' story-telling and set pieces etc is great

- This is clearly a multi-platform, multi-gen game. It's definitely not a looker (nor using anything near close to what the PS4 is capable of...)
- In removing the robotic, locked cover animations, backing up against walls and accidently moving too far (into enemy view) may be a big problem
- Not feeling Kiefer at all, no grit to his voice (Skull Face voice actor is terrible also)
- Seemingly deliberate restrictions on screenshots: You get to close to Snake's face and it blurs, you rotate the camera to get a look at him and he rotates his head in the opposite direction
- Jaggies/Lack of AA

Can anyone tell me if there is a way to be locked to the edge of a wall? Or is it designed so that you have to make up your own mind and be careful not to creep to far into view?

Been having the same issues. I actually find tryin to edge watch too dangerous seeing that's how I keep getting caught

You definitely fail the one where you have to hunt the two marines. They flee the base very quickly after you're spotted.
If you alarm the whole base, yes. There's only a couple of areas they will use to exit though, and the few times I've been found I was able to easily catch and kill the last guy. There's no reason to fail at killing at least one marine easily, as he basically travels right to your position in the beginning.

The graphics definitely were underwhelming - although I am not sure what I expected on ps3. The framerate really chugged, enough so that it skipped and i missed a headshot from about 10m away with the tranquilizer. During the cutscenes there are rare moments where it looks like a film. Kojima and co really knocked it out of the park during the
oil tanker
cutscene.

But any conversations happening in the helicopter were SO BAD. SO BAD.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Mark me off as someone else who was underwhelmed by the graphics. Maybe PC gaming has spoiled me, but the game really doesn't look that good to me.
No doubt, been in the infamous thread today, now everything looks underwhelming.
But once you start playing( in my experience with pastgen while playing nextgen too) you start appreciating then more.
Myself I think it looks great.

npa189

Just finished the GZ mission, I just really want to play The Phantom Pain now. The game is more than a mere demo, but I'm still shocked how short the main mission is, oh well atleast we get to play around while we wait for the main event.

mattp

David Hayter would've taken away from the game. Seriously. His performance in Peace Walker, and obsession with ending every line with "urgh", is proof enough of that. Seriously. It's worse than hammy, it's just bad.

"Urgh, Kaz, what's happening with Mother Baaaaase". Terrible.

dont you think thats partially the voice director's fault though too?
is it still fucking kris zimmerman? because she hasn't gotten a good performance out of hayter since mgs2(or really, mgs1)

It is absolutely a demo, a fairly meaty one, but yup, that's what it feels like. Just about worth the $20 I'd say. A compliment, I guess.
didn't anticipate how much I'd miss hayter. I'll get used to kiefer, but imo hayter was part of the series' presentational backbone.

Yeah it's even more offputting than I expected it to be.
"Kept you waiting huh?"
What? No? You just arrived for the first time, wasn't particularly waiting for you?

Maybe you'll grow used to it, but at least initially it just doesn't feel right at all.
Hearing Christopher Randolph play another character with the Otacon voice was also pretty weird.
I know it's his father, but you don't find that out until the credits. Even if I'd known, it's still really weird to sound exactly like your father.
David Hayter would've taken away from the game. Seriously. His performance in Peace Walker, and obsession with ending every line with "urgh", is proof enough of that. Seriously. It's worse than hammy, it's just bad.

"Urgh, Kaz, what's happening with Mother Baaaaase". Terrible.
He is capable of talking like a more normal person, voice director just needs to smack him on the top of the head if he gurgles too much porridge during takes.
If they wanted a different voice for Big Boss they should've replaced Hayter in MGS3. After it's established that Big Boss both looks and sounds like Snake it's kind of too late to change any of that.

I don't particularly care about Sutherland being a better actor. MGS has always been about over the top theatrics and shenanigans. Basically I'm not convinced that it's necessary, in my mind Hayter's always been a good fit (only played MGS1-3) and I value the consistency of the character higher than whatever Sutherland is able to improve upon. MGSV looks to be a rougher experience than usual, which I assume is why Kojima and friends felt this change was necessary, but come on Kojima, we know you and Metal Gear. Feckin horse stealth, burning skywhales and Skull Face are already things. And it doesn't make sense to swap out Hayter for that reason while keeping Randolph.

Just finished the GZ mission, I just really want to play The Phantom Pain now. The game is more than a mere demo, but I'm still shocked how short the main mission is, oh well atleast we get to play around while we wait for the main event.

It was about as long as I expected, but the size of the area and level design and the multitude of ways you can go about getting through it make it worthwhile. Not to mention the extra stuff you unlock afterwards. I finished it earlier and I already want to go through it again.

Dysun

I'm probably biased since I love Kiefer Sutherland and 24 but I don't miss David Hayter at all. I barely even notice, and when I do its because he's not groaning

Ridley327

dont you think thats partially the voice director's fault though too?
is it still fucking kris zimmerman? because she hasn't gotten a good performance out of hayter since mgs2(or really, mgs1)

Why would Zimmerman have issues with Hayter and none of the other cast members? Everybody else sounded fine in PW, except Hayter.

It's clear that MGS1 was a fluke for Hayter, because it's been severe diminishing returns ever since.

mattp

Why would Zimmerman have issues with Hayter and none of the other cast members? Everybody else sounded fine in PW, except Hayter.

It's clear that MGS1 was a fluke for Hayter, because it's been severe diminishing returns ever since.

huh? you're missing the point
the voice director DIRECTS The voice actors...he's been doing that bullshit voice for a long time now (basically everything post mgs2). every single take of every single line of dialog zimmerman said to herself "ok, thats good"
if she didnt think he was doing a good job she would make him redo it with less bullshit groaning
obviously they wanted it that way
the more i think about it the more i blame her and not hayter(although hayter should have the common sense to know he sounds nothing like he did in mgs1)

t hicks

Banned
NOT A MAJOR SPOILER BUT ITS A FUNNY SPOILER ABOUT A WEIRD STUPID EASTER EGG

Get on the floor and roll around ALOT with Snake. The most dramatic, stupid, and hilarious cutscene occurs. This is very much Metal Gear

This happened to me on my first playthrough.

I was just trying to get the controls down and then I WAS SO CONFUSED

Imm0rt4l

If david hayter never did any voice acting and in 2014 was offered to lend his voice as a spy in a AAA game, I think most everyone would agree that he's not very good. A lot of people are just subject to their own bias since they love the original games with hayter. I think if players looked at it more critically and disregard nostalgia and sentiment they would agree that hayter isn't a good va. He was great in mgs1 though. Keifers performance hasn't been remarkable but at least he's not remarkable for being a terrible try hard like hayter. His voice sounds more natural and I could see keifer probably be better for mocap/voice acting purposes. Guess we'll have to wait and see with tpp.

Yeah I would have loved more randomly generated VR type missions. The game is ridiculously fun, I just wish there was more missions.
User created challenges, scavenger hunts, assassination or sabotage missions would put serious meat on this game's bones.

What a seriously missed opportunity. I doubt anybody would question the cost or the replayability, if only...

isual

is anyone else's ps4 fan a bit loud?

i can hear it 2 feet away..

isnt the ps4 supposed to be completely silent ? mine is a day 1 system.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
is anyone else's ps4 fan a bit loud?

i can hear it 2 feet away..

isnt the ps4 supposed to be completely silent ? mine is a day 1 system.

No, they don't have uniform sound levels.

Sushigod7

Played for awhile today didn't really like Kiefer's voice at all pretty distracting actually. It's a more refined metal gear which is good. Looking forward to finishing it up and playing through a few different ways already run and gunned part of the way then restarted.

Top Bottom