• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes |OT| Kaz, I'm already a demo

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Given the extremely serious tone of Ground Zeroes and The Phantom Pain, perhaps Hayer's trademark "tongue-in-cheek" goofy delivery wasn't exactly what Kojima was going for. There is some serious shit going down, the time for goofiness is over.

I don't know man, Kaz's delivery is still the same and it works out perfectly. Hayter would have been fine.

Scoot2005

Banned
Same base, different objective.

Enjoy.

At least I got stuff for TPP.... Whenever the hell it comes out anyway. This should have been $10 max. $20 if the main mission was longer. My jaw hit the floor when I realized the credits were rolling. I thought it was one of those delayed introduction things.

Was some good Metal Gear though. Don't know if I like Keifer yet. Need to hear more.

How do I get the Solid Snake and Cyborg Ninja skins? I started Deja Vu and it flashed it a few times with no change in the end.
Also what with this "test" I keep hearing about?

Man, the bonus missions are a real drag. They fall right back into the most bullshit mechanic of all stealth games where as soon as you're spotted you fail the mission. I hope that bullshit doesn't find its way into The Phantom Pain.

I really shouldn't have purchased this. The main mission was decent, but the bonus missions are pure shit. What a waste of $30.
Isn't that slow-mo reflex mode there so you can take down whoever spots you before they can notify others? Doesn't that work?

Or do you fail these missions if God knows you broke stealth?

David Hayter would've taken away from the game. Seriously. His performance in Peace Walker, and obsession with ending every line with "urgh", is proof enough of that. Seriously. It's worse than hammy, it's just bad.

"Urgh, Kaz, what's happening with Mother Baaaaase". Terrible.

Working through MGS4 again right now and while I agree, how much of this is down to shitty VA direction, you know?

MormaPope

Banned
I don't know man, Kaz's delivery is still the same and it works out perfectly. Hayter would have been fine.

Kaz rarely had serious moments in Peace Walker. In Ground Zeroes his voice actor nails what Miller would say and feel given the situation. Miller's voice actor is better than Hayter in my opinion.

molnizzle

Isn't that slow-mo reflex mode there so you can take down whoever spots you before they can notify others? Doesn't that work?

Or do you fail these missions if God knows you broke stealth?

The slow-mo thing doesn't save you 100% of the time, especially if the enemy spots you from really far away and you currently have the tranq pistol equipped. That weapon has shitty ass range and you need to land a perfect headshot for it to drop an enemy immediately. As far as I can tell there's no way to quickly switch to one of your other weapons, Snake is moving in slo-mo too.

Finished the story portion. Best level design since MGS2 and the Grosnys Grad portion of MGS3. Sutherland was great
Atkins was the true star

Anyone else experiencing short locks with the PS3 digital version? The game even hard locked on me at one point and I had to hard reset the console.

Hey guys, how does the CQC mechanics feel. I always felt that it was always a bit finicky, awkward, and could never respond the way I planned when I play 3 and 4.

It uses the type of contextual thing like in Peace Walker, so it's extremely easy to do.

Alienous

Working through MGS4 again right now and while I agree, how much of this is down to shitty VA direction, you know?

Yeah, I think it's partly that. With MGS1 he had a native speaker vocal director. And dialogue that wasn't translated directly from Japanese.

Here's the strange thing. He seems capable of recapturing older performances, but his most recent performance in the role of Snake (the MGS1 and MGS2 digital comic that released in 2013) goes all groany.

Kaz's delivery sounds similar to Sutherland's, which isn't anything like Hayter's.

It's called acting.

MormaPope

Banned
Turning off all the visual assists and slow mo makes Ground Zeroes a very challenging game. Medium difficulty isn't a pushover difficulty like past MGS games, past MGS games show their true colors on Hard/Extreme/European Extreme.

The slow-mo thing doesn't save you 100% of the time, especially if the enemy spots you from really far away and you currently have the tranq pistol equipped. That weapon has shitty ass range and you need to land a perfect headshot for it to drop an enemy immediately. As far as I can tell there's no way to quickly switch to one of your other weapons, Snake is moving in slo-mo too.
Ahh OK, recovering from broken stealth is possible, but you have to plan for it and play extra careful. That seems about right for a stealth-only mission.

Was worried it was one of those insta-fail as soon as human eyes fall on you - that right there would be heinous design. I love hardcore stealth games tho.

This game does seem like it needed many more side missions.

My initial thoughts...

+ Hi-res MGS finally
+ The squarish/locked axis movement is gone, woohoo! And you move well!
+ Gunplay feels really smooth, less robotic than previously
+ It's Metal Gear, just being in the world with the series' story-telling and set pieces etc is great

- This is clearly a multi-platform, multi-gen game. It's definitely not a looker (nor using anything near close to what the PS4 is capable of...)
- In removing the robotic, locked cover animations, backing up against walls and accidently moving too far (into enemy view) may be a big problem
- Not feeling Kiefer at all, no grit to his voice (Skull Face voice actor is terrible also)
- Seemingly deliberate restrictions on screenshots: You get to close to Snake's face and it blurs, you rotate the camera to get a look at him and he rotates his head in the opposite direction
- Jaggies/Lack of AA

Can anyone tell me if there is a way to be locked to the edge of a wall? Or is it designed so that you have to make up your own mind and be careful not to creep to far into view?

Muffdraul

I've never played a demo with any of this. The whole pricing and length stigma is way hyperbolic.

They literally just cut a piece of a game and put it for sale, I don't care whether or not people think that's right or worth it, but calling it a demo or diminishing it based on length/price is pretty dismissive.

The MGS1 demo was the first section of the full game. It was free, included on the monthly CD-ROM that came with every issue of Official Playstation Magazine. The CD always had a bunch of playable demos on it, and trailers, etc. Free.

The MGS2 demo was the first section of the game on a bonus disc that came bundled with Zone of the Enders. ZoE was regularly priced, so again it was free.

MGS3 had no demo.

The MGS4 demo was the first chapter of the full game. It was free on PSN. It wasn't released until the full game was out.

MGSV GZ was the first section MGSV, a prologue. But KP decided to break it off and release it stand alone. The only thing that makes it different from the previous MGS demos is that it isn't free and it doesn't come bundled with anything else. That's the only distinction. If it's not a demo, then neither were the others.

Bio-Frost

The MGS1 demo was the first section of the full game. It was free, included on the monthly CD-ROM that came with every issue of Official Playstation Magazine. The CD always had a bunch of playable demos on it, and trailers, etc. Free.

The MGS2 demo was the first section of the game on a bonus disc that came bundled with Zone of the Enders. ZoE was regularly priced, so again it was free.

MGS3 had no demo.

The MGS4 demo was the first chapter of the full game. It was free on PSN. It wasn't released until the full game was out.

MGSV GZ was the first section MGSV, a prologue. But KP decided to break it off and release it stand alone. The only thing that makes it different from the previous MGS demos is that it isn't free and it doesn't come bundled with anything else. That's the only distinction. If it's not a demo, then neither were the others.

Here's the thing, a demo is a section of a game. When we play the TPP, this wont be there. All of those examples you gave, when i played the full game I would have to play the demo section too, this wont be the case.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Gotta wait till Thursday, Just watched Gamersydes footage of the intro on PS4, Wow big difference from the original trailer
I'd did lol though as someone said the graphics had been downgraded, I mean seriously? It undeniable how much better it looks and it looked good beforehand.

MormaPope

Banned

MGS3 had no demo.

There was a MGS3 demo. Official Playstation Magazine in late summer/early fall 2004 put MGS3 on one of their demo discs. Had Japanese voice acting and was the virtuous mission.

You don't fail a mission as soon as your spotted, and you can use your main rifle with the suppressor to take down enemies if you don't care about killing. Use the D pad to quick change your weapons and items.

Muffdraul

Actually it did. There was one released in Official Playstation Magazine I think.

Shit, that's right, I can't believe I forgot about that. I remember driving from newsstand to newsstand all over Studio City/NoHo/Burbank until I finally found it. I remember you couldn't invert the aiming camera, which pissed me off. And again it was the first section of the game.

Here's the thing, a demo is a section of a game. When we play the TPP, this wont be there. All of those examples you gave, when i played the full game I would have to play the demo section too, this wont be the case.

Doesn't matter, there's no law that says a demo has to also appear in the finished game. It's rare, but it happens. Marathon 2 is one example, the demo was unique content not in the final game.

And the only reason GZ won't reappear in the final game is that if it did, KP/Konami would have a much much harder time justifying what they've done here.

been playing 3 hours so far, 20% complete.

played through Ground Zeroes on normal and hard. then a few bonus missions.

so far so good! loved the super grimdark story the game sets up :p
gunplay, movement and insta-codec calling Miller about all things is a-m-a-z-i-n-g and finally doesnt stop the gameplay.

the bonus missions keep things interesting as time of day, weather, guards and security cameras are in new positions.

my MGS history credentials:
mgs.jpg

molnizzle

You don't fail a mission as soon as your spotted, and you can use your main rifle with the suppressor to take down enemies if you don't care about killing. Use the D pad to quick change your weapons and items.

You definitely fail the one where you have to hunt the two marines. They flee the base very quickly after you're spotted.

TheLight

NOT A MAJOR SPOILER BUT ITS A FUNNY SPOILER ABOUT A WEIRD STUPID EASTER EGG

Get on the floor and roll around ALOT with Snake. The most dramatic, stupid, and hilarious cutscene occurs. This is very much Metal Gear

Yoda

Does anyone have access to a 2560 x 1440 render of the completion screen (the one w/the skull after finishing a mission). I'd love that as a desktop wallpaper and google image search came back empty handed.

MormaPope

Banned
NOT A MAJOR SPOILER BUT ITS A FUNNY SPOILER ABOUT A WEIRD STUPID EASTER EGG

Get on the floor and roll around ALOT with Snake. The most dramatic, stupid, and hilarious cutscene occurs. This is very much Metal Gear

In the main mission? how long do you have to do that to trigger the cutscene.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Does anyone have access to a 2560 x 1440 render of the completion screen (the one w/the skull after finishing a mission). I'd love that as a desktop wallpaper and google image search came back empty handed.

Did you try searching for big ass images of the MSF logo and then running it through some filters?

Imm0rt4l

This game is a lot of fun, it isn't worth 30 or 20 bucks though.

I might not have bought it if I hadn't kept seeing that damn ground zeroes spoiler thread pop up. I was thinking that shit was gonna get real, and that the ending to it would truly be shocking. There's really nothing surprising that we haven't already seen in the trailers. I'm glad I aint pay 30 bone for this. Kinda wish I waited for the phantom pain to drop so I can go into the game fresh. Now I can only take solace in knowing kojima plans to reward those who purchased gz when mgsv drops. I'm not expecting much though.

Just got home and popped it in. I got the disc version and I'm amazed to see that there's an install when you first start the game. Kinda lame.

Yoda

Went to walmart and was gonna buy this and ffx hd l.e. and the registers wouldn't ring the game up. Guess I'll try again friday when I get infamous.

Anything like this happen to anyone else?

Went there last night at midnight and this happen but the guy just had a manager override it and everything was fine.

Ugh, almost had a perfect GZ run but got spotted at the very end because of new enemy spawns at the extraction zone, and I was all out of tranqs. :(

Still got a S though.

Just finished getting all the XOF Badges and playing through the Jamais Vu mission, as a huge fan of both Snatcher and Metal Gear Rising there was some good stuff in there. Definitely didn't have as much effort put into it as the Deja Vu mission on the PS platforms which is a bit of a bummer, but I also didn't totally explore the whole area so there may have been some references that I haven't seen scattered around.

There's a lot of black and yellow versions around if you google MSF logo.
might not be quite what you want.
http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2011/227/6/f/msf_2_by_disastranagant-d46n5i6.png

edit:
http://disastranagant.deviantart.com/art/MSF-253022393

I can alter it to look the same if you need a hand.

So how big is the install for this game? My Xbox One HDD is dangerously close to being full, and I want to make sure I don't have to uninstall anything to play this game.

Uzumaki Goku

I'll probably wait to try this game when I get a PS4, ........(and when it's $15 in the used games bin)

I haven't heard enough to fully judge Kiefer yet, but all I can say is that I REALLY didn't like the way he said "Kept you waiting, huh?"

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
it ended as soon as you entered the ventilation shaft.
ended after olga fight it was a lot longer then the MGS1 demo but it wasn't far into the tanker level, it wasn't the whole tanker section, and I belive the demo was available separately in Japan with its own case and everything, not sure if they charged for it through.

MGS3 had no demo.
it did, none English one in OPM and ended after Snake gets orders from Zero

it wasn't even half a chapter, have you played the full games?
And it came out months later too

Yes MGSV GZ is the first section and is a prologue, no it isn't anything like previous MGS demo's that ended suddenly like it's cutting to an advert.
The game is a prologue budget release

Top Bottom