• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes |OT| Kaz, I'm already a demo

pixlexic

Banned
Played through the first mission on ps4. It was as awesome as I expected.
had funny physics glitch where one of those big trucks hit a barrier and landed ont he helicopter when I loading Paz.

Started the xbone version but the sound is all messed up.

Mononoke

Banned
Well, I beat the main story in about 1 hour and 30 min. I thought I was playing the game really slow too! Thing is, it really was just
"extract chico" "extract paz".
I tried to hit up side things in between (like I collected a couple tapes, and the patches). I didn't realize that the main mission was just those two objectives, so I figured I would collect the rest of them as I went in the game.

I'll still go back and play all the special ops now and collect everything. But yeah. I knew this was short going in. But it feels strange how short it actually is, once you play it. I personally loved the gameplay, graphics and everything about the presentation. Definitely has me hooked. But yeah, apart of me does wish they would have made this more like 8 hours.

Alienous

He was fine in SWTOR and Republique. I seriously don't know where all this "Hayter sucks" talk is coming from.

MGS4 onwards.

Maybe he just can't do the Snake voice anymore, but it hasn't been the same since 3 and that was the last time it sounded good. It got too gruff. Like, wannabe Steve Blum growly.

Ljwinter

Banned
Question - I have the game but didn't start it other than watch the opening cutscenes. Do these playtimes (1-2 hours) include watching cutscenes or just actual gameplay?

MKP64

Short but very sweet. I wish those dang trailers wouldn't have showed what happens. Is there a guide for the patches/tapes?

NOT A MAJOR SPOILER BUT ITS A FUNNY SPOILER ABOUT A WEIRD STUPID EASTER EGG

Get on the floor and roll around ALOT with Snake. The most dramatic, stupid, and hilarious cutscene occurs. This is very much Metal Gear

LMAO just tried it out, quite hilarious and over the top.

Short but very sweet. I wish those dang trailers wouldn't have showed what happens. Is there a guide for the patches/tapes?

Here's a video guide for the XOF badges, but I still can't find anything for the tapes. I know some are found in the side missions, but I am still missing a couple of them. Do I get them if I get the Depth and Pacifist and Reminiscence trophies? Anyone got all the tapes yet and can help us out?

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/metal-gear-solid-v-ground-zeroes-xof-patch-guide/1100-6418371/

shawnhi

OK, avoided spoilers for the last week, played it and beat the main mission in 81 mins. My feelings? Disappointment. Not with the length or the price. But it's just lacking... polish, interactivity, and even story. I was hoping it would be comparable to the tanker mission from MGS2, but judging from my playthrough of the main mission, it's not even close. I think just the bar from the tanker mission had more polish and attention to detail than this whole game. Maybe the side ops will fix that, but I dunno. Also, the story... we didn't even really get one more good detail than what has been seen already. I was thinking all of those people complaining about the length and price were just douchebags before, but now... sigh.

Hopefully, none of that is really a spoiler. Let me know.

Don't want to sound like a complainer, because I mean I really liked what was there, but I don't think it's up to the standards that MGS2 set 13 years ago.

I tried about 10 times to throw a sleeping guard off a cliff, but couldn't. :(

what do you mean? all the grass all the waving cloth.. its all physics. barrels , cars, cones.

I was shooting the orange pilon things, not the cones i dont think, and they didnt move. If you ran into them they dont budge either. Havent tried it in a car. The wooden crates cant be destroyed either. Little things like this seem weird cause we've come to expect it, or at least I have. MGS2's big thing 15 years ago was they everything you shot had properties to it. Pipes, bags of four, ect. Remember you could even shoot the ketchup and each individual glass on the wall.

cackhyena

OK, avoided spoilers for the last week, played it and beat the main mission in 81 mins. My feelings? Disappointment. Not with the length or the price. But it's just lacking... polish, interactivity, and even story. I was hoping it would be comparable to the tanker mission from MGS2, but judging from my playthrough of the main mission, it's not even close. I think just the bar from the tanker mission had more polish and attention to detail than this whole game. Maybe the side ops will fix that, but I dunno. Also, the story... we didn't even really get one more good detail than what has been seen already. I was thinking all of those people complaining about the length and price were just douchebags before, but now... sigh.

Hopefully, none of that is really a spoiler. Let me know.

Don't want to sound like a complainer, because I mean I really liked what was there, but I don't think it's up to the standards that MGS2 set 13 years ago.

I tried about 10 times to throw a sleeping guard off a cliff, but couldn't. :(
You just hit r2. I was throwing them off cliffs with running starts like crazy earlier. Fun stuff.

But I keep seeing a few here in Gaf who have said that the game looks underwhelming graphically?

To some extent it does. Foliage is crap and the transparency/drawing issues regarding hair breaks the composition. It was built for PS3 and Xbox 360. But that's nitpicking. Besides that it looks phenomenal. The lighting, wet surfaces and the rain effects are awesome.
Wish they would have improved the poly count in the next-gen versions in the environment.

But yeah. Just finished the Ground Zeroes mission on hard with an A-ranking on PS3 and it looks stunning. The framerate though. Sniping is next to impossible thanks to that. That's when it drops. While zooming in with the binoculars or a scope. Can one hope for a patch fixing this?

PS4 version seems to be rock-solid 60 though. Envy you who have it.

Beat the main game in about 2 hours, mainly because I actually spent time and played it as a Metal Gear game, which it actually isn't.

What I mean is that there was always a sense of danger in the older games, you didn't know what lurked behind that wall or whatever so you had to be really cautious about your movements. Here, I can simply climb a watchtower, mark the enemies and be on my merry way and I didn't realize that until about the second half of the game. At the same time, I think it's great that there's less of a danger in the game and you're free to do whatever's possible but it makes for a less exciting game IMO. I'm sure if I somehow disable the marking option, the game will be radically harder and I'd actually have to play it like an actual Metal Gear game.

Honestly, I daresay the game feels like your typical Ubisoft open world game with MGS as the setting.

I'm also glad I ended up renting it, it's still a great game despite all my complaints but $30 just isn't worth the price. $20 for retail would've been perfect, shame it's only digital.

Just finished it, got a D lol cause I had no idea what I was doing and somehow got my prisoner ran over by a armored vehicle before getting killed myself at somepoint. Will def go back and get a better score. But man, I really do not like Kiefer doing the voice of Snake, just doesn't click for me. Doesn't help that I felt that Kiefer and the voice for Miller sounded really similar to me.

May go and trade this in after I'm done so I can recoup some of that cost though, maybe rebuy closer to Phantom Pain's lauch

I will say that I really did enjoy it, though its definitely different from the standard MGS games, could see the combat being really enjoyable in the the Phamtom Pain but I agree I wish they didnt give away like 1/2 of the cutscenes in previous trailers

TheLight

Another cool little thing(pretty late into the game)

Look at Paz's stomach with the binoculars, and you hear a beep each time.

what do you mean? all the grass all the waving cloth.. its all physics. barrels , cars, cones.

So yea I was wrong. Certain objects do have physics. I just knocked over some yellow gas can in the refugee camp, maybe I havent played the game enough yet. Just certain ones like I mentioned dont, which seems a little out of place cause they should. Specifically the orange construction pilons which shouldnt be cemented to the ground.

isual

for 33 USD tax included, its not bad.

Length could be longer though. But I'm sure everyone here has purchased something worse for far more value.

Mbrill82

OK, I picked this up for PS4, but I haven't played a MGS game since part one all those years ago and I know nothing about it. Can someone hook me up with a link to someplace I could find a series story synopsis that'll catch me up?

This game is great! great graphics, gameplay, controls and stuff.

you don't get the immersion ruined. So good.

I'm most of the guards I come across but it's still good cause I'm still sneaking and stuff.

REally enjoying it.

MGSV proper is going to be amazing.

Top Bottom