• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes |OT| Kaz, I'm already a demo

Continuing my stream from yesterday of my Hard playthrough. I think I'm gonna start over again from the beginning because I had so much damn fun. Here's the Stream if you guys are interested in seeing it on the PS4.

well I just finished my red box copy and had a fantastic time , really rusty though and struggled haha

got a B with a completion time of 60 minutes

if only phantom pain wasn't so far away :(

The opening cutscene running at 60FPS with the shaky camera is just yuck.

cApHE3V.gif

I don't even notice the shaky cam that whoever-you-all-are are talking about. It's been KojiPro's thing, to have this kind of handheld-camera look in their cutscenes, ever since MGS4.

Mik2121

Having played half of the MGS titles in Japanese and now listening to the peace walker movie thing... Hayter's voice is kinda cringe-worthy. I mean, sure, that's the voice they've been using until now but if Kojima wants The Phantom Pain to be more "serious", I could understand why he decided to change the voice actor... :/

Jafku

Just played Ground Zeroes and I got one question.
When is The Phantom Pain coming out cuz I need it in my veins NOW

The recording of Keifer-Snake speaking with Huey (effectively Otacon) is... just jarring. I like Suthersnake a lot actually, but in the same recording as the existing VAs it's kind of jarring.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Geez, the DS3 triggers are AWFUL for Codec and Bino/CQC uses. :/

Having played half of the MGS titles in Japanese and now listening to the peace walker movie thing... Hayter's voice is kinda cringe-worthy. I mean, sure, that's the voice they've been using until now but if Kojima wants The Phantom Pain to be more "serious", I could understand why he decided to change the voice actor... :/
I agree. I remember playing the first MGS demo on PS1 in Japanese and when I finally got the full game in English, Snake sounded so horrible to me. Higher pitched and raspy instead of deep and athourative. He sounded like he was sick, by comparison. He also stretched the last word in the sentence out too long sometimes. I've gotten used to it over the years but I've always hoped that Kojima would some day do better.

Anyway, just picked up a PS4 copy so I finally get a good sense of how the other guy sounds as Snake, cause I don't follow 24.

DrBo42

Mark me off as someone else who was underwhelmed by the graphics. Maybe PC gaming has spoiled me, but the game really doesn't look that good to me.

Looks pretty good on PS4 but has some bad pop-in of details and objects for me. Things like signs attached to the fences maybe 50 feet in front of me won't load in unless I scope up. That stuff I can completely overlook but some of the animations are really lacking. Landing from a drop has no feel of any impact, it's canned from any height. Dropping from ladders looks bad, standing normal run looks odd. Crawl doesn't seem to have a variable speed that effects the animation. Lots of room for improvement.

drew713

Was forced to buy at GameStop as it was the only place that had it near me. Guy tried to tell me I should have preordered for extra bonus missions and bonus gun. Do these guys get a bonus for every preorder they get or something?

Epcott

So is there a way to stop your mission and restart, or do you just have to die? And can I save in mission?

I like Kojima's attempt at a constant world and what not, but I don't want to watch this long drawn out open every time I screw up the GZ mission.

Edit: by the way, what is the dash button on the DS4?

RangerBAD

Was forced to buy at GameStop as it was the only place that had it near me. Guy tried to tell me I should have preordered for extra bonus missions and bonus gun. Do these guys get a bonus for every preorder they get or something?

They have a quota to fill.

So is there a way to stop your mission and restart, or do you just have to die? And can I save in mission?

I like Kojima's attempt at a constant world and what not, but I don't want to watch this long drawn out open every time I screw up the GZ mission.

It autosaves at checkpoints, there is a pause menu (select on ps3, left side of touchpad(!?) on PS4.) with restart from checkpoint or beginning options, you can skip cutscenes.

Shin-Ra

BadAss2961

so, does this runs at a stable 60 on ps4?
There's drops when prone and using binoculars in certain grassy areas.

Game is great. But man... Kojima really goofed in switching from Hayter. Kiefer's not doing it for me at all.

It autosaves at checkpoints, there is a pause menu with restart from checkpoint or beginning options, you can skip cutscenes.

How do you access the pause menu? I couldn't find it.

Epcott

It autosaves at checkpoints, there is a pause menu with restart from checkpoint or beginning options, you can skip cutscenes.

Thanks! I didn't realize you had to hit the lower left corner of the touch screen.

My adrenaline is pumping (playing for the first time) and my friend is texting me photos of her new baby while I'm accidentally shooting someone in the face without a suppressor and pressing the touch screen... getting stuck in iDroid why grenades are lobbed at me. Thank goodness there is a traditional pause.

Joe Lee

Side-Op Mission spoiler:
Kojima making a cameo at the end of the Agent Extraction mission, quoting Kaz's "Snake... what took you so long?"

My sides won't stop hurting.

Side-Op Mission spoiler:
Kojima making a cameo at the end of the Agent Extraction mission, quoting Kaz's "Snake... what took you so long?"

My sides won't stop hurting.

I can't believe they spoiled that line in the trailer, it was a funny surprise even when you knew who the agent was.

Cubed

This game is... surprisingly hard.

Not in an infuriating way, just muuuuuch harder and more realistic than any MGS game to date.

I love it!

However, I heard you can play the Ground Zeroes mission during daytime. How?

MormaPope

Banned
Hayter's best performance was his work on MGS1, easily his best performance.

If I had to guess who Skullface is, remember Zero is swimming in Philosopher Legacy cash. Somehow Skullface has enough money or connections to lead his own group. So Zero has not only ruined Skullface's body, but his legacy and pride were stripped from him.

Loving the game here so far...playing the Xbone version. I can't believe how good the game looks, too. It's hard for me to imagine it looking better on PS4 (even though, I know it does). Very impressed so far.

Top Bottom