• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes |OT| Kaz, I'm already a demo

Keihart

So i finished the main mission, pretty great stuff.
Worst things for me is Snake's new voice, i didn't even noticed when Snake spoke in a couple of scenes, it really changes things, but if you are one of those who didn't like the grunt sound of Hayter, you might love the change, Sutherland voice it's pretty mute, it doesn't stand out at all.

As for gameplay, the health regen it pretty silly, and i wish they fixed the AI for Phantom Pain too. Losing enemies it's not hard, but the way they spot you it's more like splinter cell than classic MGS, all enemies in the location know where you are, they don'r search for you based on the alert, they basically move like chickens withe their heads off until you get out of the alert zone, after that they start scouting the area.
I don't mind the reflex tho, i just deactivated it just as i did with listen mode in TLoU.

Graphics wise, i like the muted colors and soft lighting, looks really good. Only complain here it's with the low polys on the character, it doesn't seem to be this way on the phatom pain trailers, so i'm not worried about that.

It'll be a long wait.

Keihart

This game is... surprisingly hard.

Not in an infuriating way, just muuuuuch harder and more realistic than any MGS game to date.

I love it!

However, I heard you can play the Ground Zeroes mission during daytime. How?

Opinions i guess, i find it to be the easiest of the numbered ones, not as bad as peace walker or portable ops tho( when i started playing it i though it was going to be that bad).

The side missions better be awesome because I can't believe I spent $30 on this.

And it just felt so useless, because all the trailers and previews that have been done for the game, essentially spoil and spell out the entire plot of GZ. There was nothing really new or surprising about this at all, a person can essentially piece it all together from all the spoilers they dropped out. Majority of the games cutscenes were already seen online.

This felt like DLC for another game really, the $30 price tag is ridiculous, this should have been 10-15$ at most.

Dre3001

Is it true that the Ps3 version came with Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker HD?

I do not see why they would not include that for the Ps4/ Xbone versions? That would easily end all the complaints about the amount of content for the price.

Either that or including a beta of next-gen Metal Gear Online since that will be included in TPP.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Results said:
Time: 83:23.411
Enemy Combat Alerts: 0
Kills: 10
Prisoners Rescued: 6
Helicopters Lost: ---
Retries: 9
No Reflex bonus

Not too bad for first time. I could've 0 killed for most of it, but I'm not used to the guards waking up from CQC SUPA-SLAMS or the new CQC system. :( Apparently Tranq Gunning them like normal puts them out of commission for a LONNNNNNNNNNNNNNG while on Normal.

I even hauled
Paz's ass all the way back to the first extraction point
. Freaked out when the guards saw it silently coming in but we escaped without the chopper loss or alert, so yay. :D

Gonna try hard later, the sandbox is pretty good. I never even got into a vehicle or experienced "Hypothermia" as Kaz warned.

PS3 version looks impressive in some spots and terrible in others. But given it's 9-10 year old tech, I'm pretty impressed with what the Fox engine is doing with it.

I don't like the new controls, I haven't tried shooter but Action seems to make the most "MGS sense" as far as it being advertised but the roll and sprint and stuff is awkward coming from FPSers. :/

Is it too late to demand Hayter replace Sutherland for The Phantom Pain? :(

Seriously, this really tarnishes the experience.

I actually don't hate it as much as I thought I would, and I'm a huge fan of Hayter as Snake, his voice acting was my favorite part of the games.

I just do my own raspy grumbling while I play, Sutherlands not too terrible.

but yes, Hayter would be far superior

braves01

Banned
Finished the main mission in about an hour and half just now (with a horrible grade, lol). I liked just about everything, and will definitely be playing through several times. Way hyped for Phantom Pain now, so mission accomplished kojima.

Uzumaki Goku

Yeah, they actually went out of their way to redub Snake's dialogue in the Deja Vu mission with Kiefer Sutherland's voice... that's where it sounds the most off. :-(

Imm0rt4l

He was fine in SWTOR and Republique. I seriously don't know where all this "Hayter sucks" talk is coming from.
It's an observation since he's gone and a few people are vehemently defending that he is the voice of snake, I would argue that he kinda sucks. I don't know about his work in swtor, and I don't really see how that has any bearing on him becoming a total parody of himself.

Joe Lee

So, quick question about the Intel Operative Rescue Side-Op.

I'm doing the non-lethal route to get the trophy for it but at the end of the mission I had one kill even though I used the stun gun the entire time. Does
blowing up the armored truck with the rocket launcher
count as a kill? If so, how do you even beat the thing with the stun gun?

BadAss2961

It's not bad, but it's very hard to get used to.
The biggest problem for me is how they went from a really distinct voice, to one that doesn't stand out at all. As mentioned at the top of this page, sometimes you really have to pay attention just to notice that it's Snake talking.

I probably wouldn't mind as much if Sutherland completely changed the voice and went with something of his own rather than this subdued version of Snake.

co1onel

The biggest problem for me is how they went from a really distinct voice, to one that doesn't stand out at all. As mentioned at the top of this page, sometimes you really have to pay attention just to notice that it's Snake talking.

I probably wouldn't mind as much if Sutherland completely changed the voice and went with something of his own rather than this subdued version of Snake.

Really? Sutherland's is extremely distinct to me, to the point where it sounds completely wrong coming out of Snake's mouth. If they went with a more generic sounding voice like Richard Doyle in MGS4, I probably wouldn't have minded as much .

Sushigod7

I completely agree with you during the conversations it's almost impossible to distinguish. Worst thing about this so far I enjoy everything else for the most part.

Tygamr

The tone of this is so much more serious overall than past games. I think I can see why they replaced Hayter- his Snake sounded too cartoony. I don't really agree with the way they handled the situation, but... Eh. I like Kiefer better I think.

They showed it because this thing was never meant to be released separately. Same reason they showed most of the ending cut-scene at E3 last year.

uhh that's not really how it went. They were always very cagey when asked about how it would be released, notably 1 year ago at gdc.

The tone of this is so much more serious overall than past games. I think I can see why they replaced Hayter- his Snake sounded too cartoony. I don't really agree with the way they handled the situation, but... Eh. I like Kiefer better I think.

I think V will have some goofy stuff.
I hope it has at least more easter eggs and cool things to discover then 4.

dhonk

I tend to agree, but then they leave in some hilariously cartoony voices like Huey and Paz. Its super jarring.

mf.luder

I have a play through right now of the main mission where I'm interrogating everyone and then stabbing them. Finding a lot of new things. Just learned about
the power generator near the admin building. I was there before but must've missed it.

Currently working on the XOF patches without a guide. And I want to do the cassettes like that too.

Korosenai

I have a play through right now of the main mission where I'm interrogating everyone and then stabbing them. Finding a lot of new things. Just learned about
the power generator near the admin building. I was there before but must've missed it.

Currently working on the XOF patches without a guide. And I want to do the cassettes like that too.
Godspeed. I plan on doing the same.

Played through ground zeros twice and a couple of side missions, loved it so far, I wish that driving in a vehicle (or at least a covered one) would camouflage you though it's weird that they let you drive but you'll get spotted immediately going anywhere

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I posted this in the spoiler thread by accident

I think the problem with GZ is ultimately that it tells us VERY LITTLE we didn't know.

They left all the real "exposition" to the fucking tapes.

I almost want to call it more of a tech demo than a demo or a prologue. Also I have no idea how you could remotely enjoy this without actually having played Peace Walker, GZ feels more like a bonus epilogue to peace walker than a prologue to anything.

That being said I had a really good time with it.

mf.luder

I think the problem with GZ is ultimately that it tells us VERY LITTLE we didn't know.

I almost want to call it more of a tech demo than a demo or a prologue. Also I have no idea how you could remotely enjoy this without actually having played Peace Walker, GZ feels more like a bonus epilogue to peace walker than a prologue to anything.

Agreed. In GZ, Paz and Chico are so central to the narrative. It helps knowing where they came from and what their individual stories are.

foxtrot3d

Banned
I just beat GZ main mission and played a good bunch of side ops. Impressions (Spoiler Tagged for Safety):

-I hate that the entire story of GZ was spoiled in the trailers.
-The game is SO much harder without a camo index or soliton radar, enemies have insane sight distance and you can't take too many bullets. I love how everyone was complaining about the tagging system but by GOD it'll be REALLY hard to beat this game without utilizing the feature.
-I like Kiefer's voice, I LOVE Hayter but I can't complain about Kiefer especially as a huge 24 fan. Also, LOL at the subtle 24 reference in GZ when you choke out Chico, Snake goes "don't fight it." That is a classic Jack Bauer phrase he does in almost every season when he chokes someone out, usually a friend.
-Grahpics look good on PS4 but nothing amazing and I noticed pop-ins.
-Not sure I like only being able to carry two weapons, I know that was in PW but I want to be carrying all my weapons in TPP.

Tygamr

I tend to agree, but then they leave in some hilariously cartoony voices like Huey and Paz. Its super jarring.

Yeah. That was kind of weird. Maybe they wanted to kinda ground it to the last game? Going with a lot of new voice actors might've been confusing.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Agreed. In GZ, Paz and Chico are so central to the narrative. It helps knowing where they came from and what their individual stories are.

Definitely! Not to mention Kaz's role, I cannot imagine coming into this only having played MGS1, 2, 3 and 4 yet expecting that "reading up" on MGSPW to help give you the same emotional reaction to anything in this.

GZ / PW spoiler:
not to mention seeing mother base burn and all my hand picked soliders die literally broke my heart, I spent ONE HUNDRED HOURS gathering the perfect unit alone, not even including the time it took to max out mother base. God it all hurts so much more when you hear Miller's quip at the beginning of GZ about how he has idea's for expansion

cdkee

Banned
When I was
waiting for the helicopter to come pick up Chico I was shining my flashlight in his face and he put his hands up to his eyes. LOL. Then I turned it off and he lowered his hands.

That being said I had a really good time with it.

Yes the whole thing was essentially spoils from all the trailers and previews.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
During the main mission, I found a supply truck. I put as much C4 as I could on the front end of it. I then drove towards a group of enemies and dove out. When I detonated the C4, the truck launched backwards. So that was pretty cool.

Huh, so far this is exceeding my expectations. The gameplay is really fun, and while it's missing some of the movement options and trimmings I loved from the other MGS games, the mechanics are still very solid. Assuming they'll improve on the basic stuff in place here and add back some of the missing options, The Phantom Pain will probably end up amazing. I don't really think this game is worth the price of entry for anyone but hardcore fans, but considering the fact that MGS is my favorite franchise, I'm perfectly happy with my purchase. Also, I really want a new Silent Hill on the FOX Engine now.

Oh yeah, the animations seem improved from that one official gameplay video from a while back, too. And marking and tagging+reflex mode really isn't so bad. I miss rations and boxes, though. No codec hurts too, but I see why they didn't put it in GZ at least. The verdict is still out on Sutherland. His performance is a lot less humorous and lovable than Hayter's, but I can see him being able to pack more of an emotional punch for the darker scenes TPP will no doubt have.

SeanR1221

I've only played MGS 1, 2 and 3 but I'm finding this incredibly hard. The guards spot you from so far away and I find it hard to sneak around. I ended up beating the ground zeros mission killing a ton of guys.

Nuke Soda

I've only played MGS 1, 2 and 3 but I'm finding this incredibly hard. The guards spot you from so far away and I find it hard to sneak around. I ended up beating the ground zeros mission killing a ton of guys.

I've played MGS 1-4, Acid, Peace Walker, and Revengeance and I still had trouble with this one. It will take a few playthroughs to get decent for me, I quite like it.

jet1911

During the main mission, I found a supply truck. I put as much C4 as I could on the front end of it. I then drove towards a group of enemies and dove out. When I detonated the C4, the truck launched backwards. So that was pretty cool.

The physics for the vehicules is really good. The "on rail" mission is a good example.

Top Bottom