• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes |OT| Kaz, I'm already a demo

Well yeah, the base is on full alert because
a prisoner [Paz] escaped

Given the extremely serious tone of Ground Zeroes and The Phantom Pain, perhaps Hayer's trademark "tongue-in-cheek" goofy delivery wasn't exactly what Kojima was going for. There is some serious shit going down, the time for goofiness is over.

I kind of like the tone a lot.

MickeyPhree

Playing on ps4. Game is just incredible. Got through the main mission in ninety nine minutes. Found three tapes and three xof patches.

Phantom pain needs to be here soon because this is engine is extremely impressive n

Sami+

Okay, this is really starting to get on my nerves. Using an iPhone to try and connect to the game, and I keep getting an error saying the accounts don't match. They most definitely should though, because I'm damn positive I'm signing into my PSN. :/

Has anyone else had this problem?

Keylow415

this game is the biggest cock tease ever. just finished the main mission and it get me wanting for more. i want tpp so bad i cant wait.

Epcott

Beat the GZ mission with no kills and one alert. However it took several hours and many restarts/deaths. I wish they saved that mission for the end instead of making it the first mission.

I see many replays in my future. I guess if you run and gun, it's easy peasy. But sneaking all the way through without lethals is ball breaking hard. Stick ups broke PW, I hope thats not the case here as I didn't attempt one.

AwShucks

I truly hope the whole Snake voice thing is because Hayter will be doing Solid Snake at the end of Phantom Pain or something because I do not dig Keifer Sutherland as Snake.

Somnia

Just finished it, did a more action oriented play through. I will definitely get my 29.99 out of this with multiple playthroughs.

The wait for Phantom Pain is going to be so long and painful.

AwShucks

this game is the biggest cock tease ever. just finished the main mission and it get me wanting for more. i want tpp so bad i cant wait.

Just finished the main mission as well and loved it. Definitely a perfect setup for what we all know is coming next/eventually in the story.

npa189

Overall I am happy with ground zeroes, there is actually quite a bit of content, collecting the patches and tapes, and the side missions aren't phoned in which is cool. It has awoken a MGS pandora's box for me, I'll need to play through them all before Phantom Pain hits, I really wish that game wasn't so far away.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I think I need to get Peace Walker. Who the hell is Paz? Who is Chico? Does Big Boss have a nuke? Has he taken over a secret island? Who is XOF?

I missed something. I was playing, I quit after rescuing
Chico
cause I had some stuff to do.

I really, really like it. Controls are brilliant. Visuals are nice. What is that music that plays if you get caught while
rescuing Paz?
It's great action music.

Kiefer Sutherland is awesome though. Already like his voice better than Hayter's for Big Boss.

Paz and Chico are both central characters of PW. I highly recommend you play it if you don't know who they are. I'm personally not a fan of PW (really hated the boss fights), but it's worth checking out the story so you're up on what the fuck is going on.

Overall I am happy with ground zeroes, there is actually quite a bit of content, collecting the patches and tapes, and the side missions aren't phoned in which is cool. It has awoken a MGS pandora's box for me, I'll need to play through them all before Phantom Pain hits, I really wish that game wasn't so far away.

Have you not played the past games in the series?

Tape 5 I found in
a trash can in an ally when going up the stairs from where paz was being held, I overheard two guards talking about it

Just spent an hour coming the area all around, and can't find it. Can i only pick up one tape per mission and since i already found Tape 2, I couldn't find Tape 5?

npa189

Paz and Chico are both central characters of PW. I highly recommend you play it if you don't know who they are. I'm personally not a fan of PW (really hated the boss fights), but it's worth checking out the story so you're up on what the fuck is going on.

Have you not played the past games in the series?

Of course I have, but I do have a guilty secret, I've never beaten MGS2...

Rented the PS3 version from Redbox for $2. Beat the main mission... Glad I didn't spend $30. I'm rusty as shit though, I definitely need to beat PW before 5 comes out.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
To everyone saying the controls are awesome:

Last night I was watching the Quick Look, and Brad said that the game defaults to the "old school Metal Gear" controls. Which control scheme is everyone using? The shooter controls, or the default ones?

(I don't have the game yet. Just super curious)

Of course I have, but I do have a guilty secret, I've never beaten MGS2...

Oh ok! You didn't say "again" so I assumed you jumped in at the middle.

Definitely finish MGS2! The ending is batshit insane, and totally worth experiencing.

Spent almost 2 hours looking for the XoF patches. Found 3 on my own, 2 from interrogating guards. Gave up after the 50th interrogation and just went online and found a guide. I woner how you are supposed to find them "naturally" in the game. As they are tiny as shit.

13257513125_b6023f7a74_b.jpg
Nice collection! I think I have everything ever released on an American Playstation console as well. Looks like you do too. Although I don't see the digital graphic novel or the Document of MGS2 :p

Stupid Amazon fucked up my shipping so I haven't been able to play today.

Chamber

love on your sleeve

I have to agree on the cock tease part, especially with the little Phantom Pain teaser/trailer that plays at the end. I hope Phantom Pain is no more than a year off.

I just finished the "game".

I kept hearing Snake speak and was like "Who the F is that?" when I kept hearing Keifer's voice. I still think of Hayter as the voice of Snake. Its ingrained in my system.

As for the "game" itself. I love the gameplay improvements, but the controls leave A LOT to be desired. Can someone please answer this: How do you switch to 1st person view with weapons? It mentions you can do this.

This thing was WAY too short IMO. They should've given us like 1/4 of MGSV, not like less than 1/10 of it!

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Okay, this is really starting to get on my nerves. Using an iPhone to try and connect to the game, and I keep getting an error saying the accounts don't match. They most definitely should though, because I'm damn positive I'm signing into my PSN. :/

Has anyone else had this problem?

Yeah it happened to me to. I got no solutions for you though sadly.

As for the "game" itself. I love the gameplay improvements, but the controls leave A LOT to be desired. Can someone please answer this: How do you switch to 1st person view with weapons? It mentions you can do this.

L1+R2 on PS3

Or aim + binoculars on both. Just tap the binoculars button.

I've always played this way on my first run through MGS games, but this game really does let you roll with the punches better than any game in the series.

i had a perfect streak the run going until a guard found a body as I was hauling Paz out of the cage. I booked it to a jeep and put her in the back, and made a daring escape past an APC and some armed guards. After driving to the beach, I had to bail out of the jeep and shoot some guards who were waiting for me. All this happened set to some particularly cool action set piece music. It just felt narratively correct, as opposed to the clumsy fighting of some of the other MGS games.

That being said, I'm kind of unimpressed with what you get for 30 bucks, and the plot is a total mess. There are some cool moments, but it mostly feels like MGS's typical silliness with a particularly nasty edge.

Seriously. Fucking Kojima teasing us. I'm playing side missions to get more of it.

Ending question
1. I wonder what happened to Chico? And 9 years? Chico must be pretty mature.

2. What the hell happened in post credit? Who's talking where?

Sutherland's voice is so awesome as Snake! I miss Hatter's voice a but though. I wish we get a Solid Snake cameo with his voice. I bet that's exactly what Kojima planned.

That Phantom Pain cocktease!

Sami+

Starting my third playthrough now. Gonna try and get an S Rank.

Game's amazingly fun, I don't regret buying it for an instant. Haven't even touched the Extra Ops yet.

Just finished

Took about 2 hours factoring restarts. No kills, no alerts.

FUCKING INCREDIBLE

Finally after the cluster that was MGS4, proper Tactical Espionage Action has returned!

Gotta go to sleep now but can't wait to just play around in this brave new world for weeks to come (^___^)

Also relying on Peace Walker as canon for this VERY SERIOUS POLITICAL GAME is the height of Kojima's lunacy. The characters are so different to the last time we saw all of them, as is the tone in general.

Considering Paz was
essentially deus ex machina dressed up as pretty fan service in PW, seeing her treated like this in GZ just feels cruel, and not in a clever subversive way.
Likewise,
Miller gets like two minutes of screen time to be a raging asshole
and that's it.

The framing device of Nikola and Bart is great, although they really beat you over the head with why it's a cool framing device. Likewise, the
tape puzzle could have been really cool if Miller didn't just tell you what to do over and over again.

it's pretty hilarious that Paz essentially flat out says
HEY SNAKE I'M RIGGED TO BLOW THERE ARE BOMBS INSIDE OF ME
repeatedly while you carry her out, with nary a question from Snake or Miller.

Also, (final cutscene spoilers)
"There's another... in my..." In my what? I'm sure it was something grim and totes fucked up because this is a SERIOUS and GRIM game.

I truly hope the whole Snake voice thing is because Hayter will be doing Solid Snake at the end of Phantom Pain or something because I do not dig Keifer Sutherland as Snake.

Considering the supposed size of TPP, I honestly believe this is gonna happen. Fuck, I sort believe that there will be a hidden remake of MG in there as well :)

Sutherland was fun I suppose but... Well I still don't understand why they needed him. Everything he delivered was something that Hayter could have with proper voice direction :/

MormaPope

Banned
I've probably played around six or seven hours so far, haven't touched the side ops, just playing the main mission. I'm at 12% or 13% completion wise. Playing with all the visual aides and reflex mode off. I found the perfect path to Chico, can get to him in less than three minutes. Getting to Paz's area is easy, but getting out is fucking hard.

Most devastating run was laying in the supply truck, getting inside the base, driving to Paz in that truck, firefights break out, I fight brutally with a shotgun, get Paz in the truck, start driving out of the base, and a APC shoots through the windshield and caps Paz in the head. Using the helipad outside that base to extract Paz is like a instant set piece meal. Helicopter comes in, music blaring, I get in a spare APC to destroy the other APC, jump out and grab Paz to escape in the helicopter, the helicopter getting pelted by bullets while I'm returning fire.

The replayability of Ground Zeroes comes from feeling like a legit hero or action movie star. The cool shit that happens seems effortless, stories get crafted from each playthrough. Ground Zeroes reminds me of Metal Gear Rising in some ways, what I was expecting and what I got were two totally different things, and I end up being really satisfied.

Betty

Banned
t's pretty hilarious that Paz essentially flat out says
HEY SNAKE I'M RIGGED TO BLOW THERE ARE BOMBS INSIDE OF ME
repeatedly while you carry her out, with nary a question from Snake or Miller.

Also, (final cutscene spoilers)
"There's another... in my..." In my what? I'm sure it was something grim and totes fucked up because this is a SERIOUS and GRIM game.

When I was carrying her she just said
"There's a..." "inside me..." I don't remember her saying bomb or bombs before she got on the helicopter.

Also, when she said
"There's another... in my..." I instantly assumed she was talking about her vagina or anus, as there were no cuts to her head and I'm pretty sure someone else mentioned a tape that alludes as much.

Aggelos

Yeah I am partying right now!!! This is what I will be listening while I play Ground Zeroes

K. Kitarenko and Kursanov are the piano transcribers.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piano_transcription

Sviridov / K. Kitarenko : Troika
performed by the Sibelius 7 player and Sibelius 7 Sounds library
https://www.mediafire.com/?9idigr7mom36dez

Sviridov / Sergei Kursanov : Closure & Winter Way
performed by the Sibelius player and Sibelius 7 Sounds library
https://www.mediafire.com/?4gev2yz4h755a1h

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N28sddjaVQk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pobvjtJw1KE

farisr

It took me 5+ hours to beat the main mission. Being terrible has its perks I guess.

Took me about 2.5. It indeed does. LOL.

Anyways, I'm probably going to be replaying the game a lot, so I don't absolutely suck by the time The Phantom Pain comes out. But yeah, despite enjoying the gameplay, this game reminded me how much I love the cutscenes in MGS games (1,2,3,4, I love em all) and what gives me motivation to keep going when I have difficulty getting past certain sections.

Dead

well not really...yet
God this game looks incredible and controls like a dream. I literally just spent the past hour just running around in circles

Sami+

Finished my third playthrough. God this game's amazingly fun.

Third playthrough - 28 minutes, no kills, 1 alert, 2 retries. A rank. Still gotta get that S. I need to find a good route for getting Paz to the chopper without killing anyone. Getting to the two of them is easy, but getting her out is difficult.

When I was carrying her she just said
"There's a..." "inside me..." I don't remember her saying bomb or bombs before she got on the helicopter.

Also, when she said
"There's another... in my..." I instantly assumed she was talking about her vagina or anus, as there were no cuts to her head and I'm pretty sure someone else mentioned a tape that alludes as much.

Yeah I just finished finding all the tapes.

w8xeXIA.gif

genbatzu

How do you buy the PS3 US version? Paypal won't transfer funds to my US PSN account, credit card won't either, presumably because I don't have a credit card registered to a US address.

finished my first playthrough yesterday.

I went for full stealth and no kills. missions success
with all prisoners on chicos side rescued
with 4 checkpoint restarts. Took me 139min in total.

I liked it will play more in the future

Top Bottom