• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes |OT| Kaz, I'm already a demo

AwShucks

Sutherland was fun I suppose but... Well I still don't understand why they needed him. Everything he delivered was something that Hayter could have with proper voice direction :/

I found him to be very subdued and not gruff enough. Almost flat and monotone. At times it's like he was just speaking as Keifer Sutherland to some other person in the room rather than acting as Big Boss.

Mik317

I suck so this will end up being long enough lol.

I told myself that I would finish it in one sitting...lol nope.

It's pretty damn good tho.

Only flaw is that it will make me want MGS5 even more.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I'm really impressed with just how well they've handled stealth action on a larger scale. I was afraid that utilizing a more open world would ruin the quality of the encounters but that couldn't be further from the truth.

The mission where you have to disable the AA guns felt like something out of the original Crysis (but with a higher level of polish).

Potential mission spoiler?

As far as I could tell, you start the mission without any sort of explosive device or instruction on how to obtain them (unlike most games today, I suppose). There's no blinking transparent box available to press a button on. You really DO need to find a way to blow them up using game mechanics.

The first two were easy as there are explosive barrels near by. Kind of a cop-out, I suppose, but it works. The other two guns, however, had nothing nearby that could be used. So I actually drove a truck up to one of the AA guns and then snuck back out to safety. Then, I climbed a nearby guard tower, took a few shots at the engine and, sure enough, the truck exploded taking the AA gun along with it.

Of course this raised alarms which sent a large armored vehicle after me. I made my way to a corner of the map taking out guys along the way. Interrogating them revealed the locations of some potentially useful weapons (grenades, an SMG, and something else) but I wasn't sure they would work. So I climbed another tower and scoped out the area. I happened to notice a guard carrying a rocket launcher of some sort so I marked him and decided to go take him out.

This then results in a nice MGS-like stealth sequence as I had to sneak through the camp taking guys out quietly without raising the alarm further. I eventually made to the rocket guy who was standing underneath an awning of some sort. I snuck up, took him out and, sure enough, he dropped his launcher which I took. I then high-tailed it out of their to safety.

Next step was to find a good position from which to tackle the armored car. I climbed up on top of a building and watched. As the car came around the corner I unloaded a blast on him. Using the building as cover I could hide while reloading and, after three more shots, the truck exploded.

Next step? Get to the chopper. There was a truck parked near the building that I was attacking from so I jumped down, hopped in the truck, and drove straight for the coast. Once the terrain became too rocky I hopped out and ran like hell until I reached a cave where I could fortify my position while I called in the chopper. Once it landed I was out of there.

Before this successful run I did try rushing my way through some of the tricky spots and simply couldn't pull it off. Once I took my time and really used the tools available, however, it worked brilliantly. I enjoyed the fact that they hand you objectives, a large map full of potential tools, and just let you go nuts. It's really refreshing and feels so satisfying. It is exactly the type of thing that made Crysis 1 so good only here the AI is dramatically better and the core mechanics more refined.

The fact that they were able to create several fantastic missions from the same map suggests that they're really onto something here.

Where's paz? I looked everywhere and nothing.
Listen to the tape. Truck, flags, doors opening, etc. Soldiers talking around you also reveal music and screams coming from a specific area. It's all there but not directly spelled out.

Just beat the main mission, I was expecting Kiefer's acting to be pretty bad based on the little I had heard and read, but honestly he didn't do a bad job. He still needs to work on it a bit, but The Phantom Pain isn't gonna be out for a while so he has time. My only big gripe with the gameplay is the lack of Metal Gear mainstays like boxes and the health system.

Arklite

The mission where you have to disable the AA guns felt like something out of the original Crysis (but with a higher level of polish).

As far as I could tell, you start the mission without any sort of explosive device or instruction on how to obtain them (unlike most games today, I suppose). There's no blinking transparent box available to press a button on. You really DO need to find a way to blow them up using game mechanics.

I just finished that one. I started with about 5 C4 charges for the AAs, did you hold down the right direction on the d-pad to see all stored explosives? Definitely fun coming up with your own route and methods. I kind of just had to tranq those 50 guards that kept hanging around the middle gun, though...

I just finished the demo. All I have to say is WOW

I've been on media blackout since the first trailer. I've seen glimpses and its hard to avoid the "controversy" over this game, namely the voice actor choices, and abandoning the some of the hokey stuff like boxes and general silliness of the series. But you know what? It didn't bother me.

For me MGS1 was the only one that never felt shackled down by expectations, MGS all the way up to four had difficulty moving onn from fan expectations. Whether it as over gameplay or story or fan service. This game never felt like it was pandering to fans. By the time MGS4 came it felt like it was entirely a fan service experience and I hated that.

And in that sense this demo is the first truly worthy successor to Shadow Moses and the Tanker. Of course it's smaller than Shadow Moses but much more open. I felt like I was scoping out the environment, working out enemy placement and how to manipulate them in a broader way than MGS has delivered in awhile. It gave me very similar feelings to the first time I played these levels.

The voice acting wasn't amazing though, it felt very grounded but when TLOU has raised the bar so much in character performances it is hard to compare. Overall it's solid.

If this is a hint of the rest of MGS5 I think it will be one of my favourite games of all time

Still debatable whether it is worth $30, but considering it as the first chapter of many in Phantom Pain then I am really excited for what is to come.

Wait, what? I can't imagine how.

+Gameplay is great/amazing.
+Graphics(even looks great on PS3)
+Value wasn't as bad as I was expecting, really enjoyed some side-ops
Kojima
-Ending needed to be more drawn out, just felt so rushed.
-New Big Boss is awful.
-Trying too hard to be more serious, lacking the quirkiness that made Metal Gear great.

I just don't feel the connection like I did to all the others in the series with this and likely now with PP.

Chris_C

I found him to be very subdued and not gruff enough. Almost flat and monotone. At times it's like he was just speaking as Keifer Sutherland to some other person in the room rather than acting as Big Boss.

I realize this will come across as mean, but it isn't intended to. I thought he sounded like a human being, and not the cartoon character that Snake's become.

- On another subject, how do you roll?

- Is there no way to pause the game? Cus that seems... unwise.

Kumo

I realize this will come across as mean, but it isn't intended to. I thought he sounded like a human being, and not the cartoon character that Snake's become.

Clicking on the left side of the touch pad pauses the game. Not sure if you can roll in the game but you can dive! I thought Kiefer was alright, but I sorely miss Hayter's voice. :(

edit: I should mention that is for the PS4. I forgot the other systems exist lol...

hawk2025

Lower-left part of the touchpad. No idea on other consoles.

I managed to find 7 of the 9 XOF patches and two more of Chico's tapes, but man those things are well hidden. The patches are practically invisible without the NVGs, and it seems like the info you get from interrogating guards is randomised. Hopefully when I go back in there they'll point out the rest for me, because I've searched that whole base and I can't imagine where the last two are hidden (already got the one
for rolling around
). I don't want to use a guide now.

Hit the top left of the touchpad on PS4, and I assume the Select/Back/whatever-it-is-on-Xbox-One for the other versions.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I'm really impressed with just how well they've handled stealth action on a larger scale. I was afraid that utilizing a more open world would ruin the quality of the encounters but that couldn't be further from the truth.

The first two were easy as there are explosive barrels near by. Kind of a cop-out, I suppose, but it works. The other two guns, however, had nothing nearby that could be used. So I actually drove a truck up to one of the AA guns and then snuck back out to safety. Then, I climbed a nearby guard tower, took a few shots at the engine and, sure enough, the truck exploded taking the AA gun along with it.

Of course this raised alarms which sent a large armored vehicle after me. I made my way to a corner of the map taking out guys along the way. Interrogating them revealed the locations of some potentially useful weapons (grenades, an SMG, and something else) but I wasn't sure they would work. So I climbed another tower and scoped out the area. I happened to notice a guard carrying a rocket launcher of some sort so I marked him and decided to go take him out.

This then results in a nice MGS-like stealth sequence as I had to sneak through the camp taking guys out quietly without raising the alarm further. I eventually made to the rocket guy who was standing underneath an awning of some sort. I snuck up, took him out and, sure enough, he dropped his launcher which I took. I then high-tailed it out of their to safety.

Next step was to find a good position from which to tackle the armored car. I climbed up on top of a building and watched. As the car came around the corner I unloaded a blast on him. Using the building as cover I could hide while reloading and, after three more shots, the truck exploded.

Next step? Get to the chopper. There was a truck parked near the building that I was attacking from so I jumped down, hopped in the truck, and drove straight for the coast. Once the terrain became too rocky I hopped out and ran like hell until I reached a cave where I could fortify my position while I called in the chopper. Once it landed I was out of there.

Before this successful run I did try rushing my way through some of the tricky spots and simply couldn't pull it off. Once I took my time and really used the tools available, however, it worked brilliantly. I enjoyed the fact that they hand you objectives, a large map full of potential tools, and just let you go nuts. It's really refreshing and feels so satisfying. It is exactly the type of thing that made Crysis 1 so good only here the AI is dramatically better and the core mechanics more refined.

The fact that they were able to create several fantastic missions from the same map suggests that they're really onto something here.

Christoph-Waltz-Dancing-in-Chair-Inglourious-Basterds.gif

Amazing! I cannot wait to get my hands on this!

Hattori

Banned
I can't wait for Phantom Pain. Ground Zeroes' map is pretty large for what it is (I actually got lost one or twice,) I'm excited to see how much bigger Phantom Pain is in terms of scope.
Hopefully it's only the DLC that's releasing in 2015 and the game itself is slated for the fall/holiday.

viveks86

Wow I'm impressed by this game. Been taking my own time mucking about the open world. Great AI, fantastic graphics and so many ways to execute the mission. Particularly enjoyed knocking enemies out and tossing them into the sea

Slime

Banned
Well, that was fun as fuck.

Actually took me a couple hours to beat the main mission, mainly because it took me a while to wrap my head around the new gameplay style, but also because I was having so much damn fun trying to be super stealthy. God, I can't wait to play a full game like this.

I'm already itching to replay it, and I haven't even touched the Side Ops. I don't know that I'd recommend it to anyone at the current price, but personally I'm pretty satisfied with the amount of content that seems to be there. I enjoyed what I played too much to feel gypped.

But man, this is going to be a long wait. :(

jsnepo

Replayed the Ground Zeroes mission on hard and tried other ways of approaching targets, etc. Planted C4s on all anti air guns, trucks, and tanks. I missed the jeep since I couldn't find it. Rescued Paz and took her back to the chopper. All these without being detected. When I rode the chopper, I detonated the C4s. Seeing the explosions while airborne felt so good.

tensuke

Wow I'm impressed by this game. Been taking my own time mucking about the open world. Great AI, fantastic graphics and so many ways to execute the mission. Particularly enjoyed knocking enemies out and tossing them into the sea

Lol yeah I pretty much just tossed most of them off cliffs. :p

The AI I found was pretty good, but not great. Only played normal so far, but I was able to get them to lose track of me a lot just by walking behind things, even when they saw me do it. Also, one time I had a bunch of guys on me, so I ran into a shack. They shot at the door for a while until they determined I was "gone" and left me alone. Lol.

Overall, though, GZ is pretty good so far. Currently going for all the XOF patches. Great graphics, 60fps is sweet, the map is nice and large, and it seems to have some great replayability. Was hoping for a bit more story stuff, but I knew it was basically a demo. Pretty pleased with it I think. Really makes me excited for TPP.

And lol Kojima, you dog.

deim0s

The AI I found was pretty good, but not great. Only played normal so far, but I was able to get them to lose track of me a lot just by walking behind things, even when they saw me do it. Also, one time I had a bunch of guys on me, so I ran into a shack. They shot at the door for a while until they determined I was "gone" and left me alone. Lol.

And lol Kojima, you dog.

They have to adjust that in TPP.

I swore I thought he's going to say "Did you rike it?" lol

Man this game is just too much fun. Played a lot of it yesterday completing the several missions and I'm amazed at how free it is and how many ways you have to complete a mission.

Betty

Banned

Actually you do get C4 on that mission, hit right on the D-pad a couple of times to change item and you'll get it.

I just did that mission right now and, damn, the daylight scenes in this game are just gorgeous. This is also the only mission, as far as I can tell, that has that atmospheric sky that was shown in the comparison trailer. All the other daylight missions seemed to have a static sky but on this one the clouds were actually moving

Also, just found the Maori statue.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Order being shipped.

I'm gonna be honest here, from the stories people have been telling, this sounds exactly like the Metal Gear I've always wanted.

More stories please. They'll tide me over till Friday.

Only played it for an hour yesterday, just enough to finish it.

Overall, I really liked it and seeing the extra missions and stuff, that's okayish value for my 20 bucks.

Things I've noted:
- I love that the open world nature of the game takes up a notch my favorite parts of the previous games, where you had open areas with multiple routes to explore and some hidden items. It might be me but the game seems to reward using these more than previously. I'd love for the full game to be completely built like this. That was one of my gripes with MGS4: chapter 1 was pretty good and I found 2 was brilliant but from a pure design standpoint, the rest was underwhelming. Even though chapter 4 made up for it by striking very well the nostalgic chord.
- on a related note, the marking system works pretty well, I don't think it dumbs down the game too much as it essentially makes up for the soliton. Plus, using binos wasn't something I did much previously because distances were pretty short.
- I understand why they did it but man, half of the ending should have been playable.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Actually you do get C4 on that mission, hit right on the D-pad a couple of times to change item and you'll get it.

I just did that mission right now and, damn, the daylight scenes in this game are just gorgeous. This is also the only mission, as far as I can tell, that has that atmospheric sky that was shown in the comparison trailer. All the other daylight missions seemed to have a static sky but on this one the clouds were actually moving

Also, just found the Maori statue.

Oh I just threw a grenade at them as I passed along and let the enemies gather around it as I escaped to continue with the mission.

Betty

Banned
Order being shipped.

I'm gonna be honest here, from the stories people have been telling, this sounds exactly like the Metal Gear I've always wanted.

More stories please. They'll tide me over till Friday.

I saw someone pick up Paz, put her in the passenger side of a truck and as they tried to drive away from the attacking soldiers, he jumped out of the truck accidentally and tried to chase after it as it rolled downhill and off the edge of a cliff.

I've played like 6 hours already. I love the sandbox approach to every situation. But quick question. Is there a mosin nagant in this or is that 6 barrel tranq the closest thing I'm getting?

-New Big Boss is awful.
-Trying too hard to be more serious, lacking the quirkiness that made Metal Gear great.

I just don't feel the connection like I did to all the others in the series with this and likely now with PP.

There definitely is quirkiness... I think Ground Zeroes has one of the most hilarious easter eggs in the series. I'm sure in TPP where there will be more room to breathe, there is going to be more jokes as well.

Jindrax

Finished it in about 1hour 37 minutes... Played for 8 hours more after xD. This game is making me dream about what TPP could be.
Can you imagine 100x bigger!? Woahhhhhhhhh

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I saw someone pick up Paz, put her in the passenger side of a truck and as they tried to drive away from the attacking soldiers, he jumped out of the truck accidentally and tried to chase after it as it rolled downhill and off the edge of a cliff.

Brilliant! MOAR

Joqu

+Graphics(even looks great on PS3)
+Value wasn't as bad as I was expecting, really enjoyed some side-ops
Kojima
-New Big Boss is awful.

It's these two I was fearing before release and yeah, it's true. I can only hope that Phantom Pain will bring some of the quirkiness back but man, I doubt it. I guess this seems silly and not all that important to most people's Metal Gear experience but to me it is, I was hoping they were simply keeping it out of the promos. Oh well. And here I thought Rising's wacky Metal Gear plot was a sign that this wouldn't be the case. :/

I'll probably still buy PP on launch because I'm a huge Metal Gear fanboy but that might be the last if this the direction the series is going to stay in.

Anyway the game's still a lot of fun so I'm glad most of you are enjoying it!

I almost did that with Chico: I went to the place he's held in, put everyone to sleep, noticed that awesome jeep by the camp and decided to put him in the jeep to make an awesome jeep escape. I turned on the music to have Heavens Divide play because fuck it, that was my awesome escape plan. I drove for 16 seconds before I realized there was NO ROAD leading down to the LZ.

I was faced with three choices: trying to jump down with that jeep, doubling back to another LZ just for the sake of driving or proceeding on foot. Things ended up with the anticlimactic sight of an old dude in tights carrying an unconscious teenager down to that beach. Next time, I'll make that fucking leap.

Top Bottom