• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes |OT| Kaz, I'm already a demo

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Has anyone gone for
Paz
first?

I'm intrigued to know what happens, particularly how Kaz reacts.

I've only done it that way since it seems like the optimal path for things. I'm not sure of differences since I haven't done the reverse but nothing he says seems to indicate that I did it out of order.

Betty

Banned
Has anyone gone for
Paz
first?

I'm intrigued to know what happens, particularly how Kaz reacts.

I haven't yet, but before I rescued Chico I rescued every other prisoner around him, and when the cutscene played there was nobody in the cages, yet for another player who didn't rescue anyone, the other prisoners react and start pleading during the cutscene for you to help them as well. Pretty neat detail.

tuna_love

Banned
Finished it in about 1hour 37 minutes... Played for 8 hours more after xD. This game is making me dream about what TPP could be.
Can you imagine 100x bigger!? Woahhhhhhhhh
I finished it with exact same time, played another 4. Im really enjoying this demo!

Dear God I didn't think I could dislike the change to Kiefer anymore than I already had...
It is absolutely horrendous in Deja Vu.

Dat
terrible "Liquiiiiid"

cackhyena

I haven't yet, but before I rescued Chico I rescued every other prisoner around him, and when the cutscene played there was nobody in the cages, yet for another player who didn't rescue anyone, the other prisoners react and start pleading during the cutscene for you to help them as well. Pretty neat detail.
Love the details they add throughout. Some goofy things get me, though. Guys who discover dead comrades will call it in, and as soon as they do, the dead guys body just vanishes. Snake still breathes like something not of this earth. Put him in prone position and watch how every part moves a bit to...for some reason mimic breaths being taken. How hard is it to just have the chest move up and down? Picking nits for sure, but when a lot of other things are done so well, stuff like that sticks out to me. The are more but I'm tired as shit and can't think straight.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl

I wondered if you could do that before I left but it's nice to know you can! I think I'll try it next time for my play-through looking for tapes.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
7 hours in and I finally s-ranked the first mission with 69,000 points or so. I wish it had more eastereggs, (lockers with pictures, shadows that look like old enemies and whatnot), but gameplay wise, I couldnt be more impressed. The gameplay never feels unfair, they managed to give help to new players while not alienating the better players by offering a multitude of playstyles and it just works.

I'll probably get ~20-30 hours out of this easily, so this was definitely worth my $30, especially since its basically the only good AAA stealth game since forever.

If MGS5 keeps this level of quality and greatness, we are in for a real treat.

7 hours in and I finally s-ranked the first mission with 69,000 points or so. I wish it had more eastereggs, (lockers with pictures, shadows that look like old enemies and whatnot), but gameplay wise, I couldnt be more impressed. The gameplay never feels unfair, they managed to give help to new players while not alienating the better players by offering a multitude of playstyles and it just works.

I'll probably get ~20-30 hours out of this easily, so this was definitely worth my $30, especially since its basically the only good AAA stealth game since forever.

If MGS5 keeps this level of quality and greatness, we are in for a real treat.
If you're looking for easter eggs deja vu is right up your alley. The unlockable for completing it on hard.
Grey Fox with super speed and super jumps are awesome.

d9b

Banned
I bought digital version (US) and playing on my EU account. Trophies not showing on "What's New"... Anyone else?
Anyway, great game...

Only got a chance to play for 45 minutes or so last night... First impression, the sound design is pretty amazing.

Question for those who have played long than I:
Can I load multiple hostages into a vehicle and drive them to a landing zone?

Only got a chance to play for 45 minutes or so last night... First impression, the sound design is pretty amazing.

I think so. Seen it in a old trailer before.

I'm really impressed with just how well they've handled stealth action on a larger scale. I was afraid that utilizing a more open world would ruin the quality of the encounters but that couldn't be further from the truth.

The mission where you have to disable the AA guns felt like something out of the original Crysis (but with a higher level of polish).

Potential mission spoiler?

As far as I could tell, you start the mission without any sort of explosive device or instruction on how to obtain them (unlike most games today, I suppose). There's no blinking transparent box available to press a button on. You really DO need to find a way to blow them up using game mechanics.

The first two were easy as there are explosive barrels near by. Kind of a cop-out, I suppose, but it works. The other two guns, however, had nothing nearby that could be used. So I actually drove a truck up to one of the AA guns and then snuck back out to safety. Then, I climbed a nearby guard tower, took a few shots at the engine and, sure enough, the truck exploded taking the AA gun along with it.

Of course this raised alarms which sent a large armored vehicle after me. I made my way to a corner of the map taking out guys along the way. Interrogating them revealed the locations of some potentially useful weapons (grenades, an SMG, and something else) but I wasn't sure they would work. So I climbed another tower and scoped out the area. I happened to notice a guard carrying a rocket launcher of some sort so I marked him and decided to go take him out.

This then results in a nice MGS-like stealth sequence as I had to sneak through the camp taking guys out quietly without raising the alarm further. I eventually made to the rocket guy who was standing underneath an awning of some sort. I snuck up, took him out and, sure enough, he dropped his launcher which I took. I then high-tailed it out of their to safety.

Next step was to find a good position from which to tackle the armored car. I climbed up on top of a building and watched. As the car came around the corner I unloaded a blast on him. Using the building as cover I could hide while reloading and, after three more shots, the truck exploded.

Next step? Get to the chopper. There was a truck parked near the building that I was attacking from so I jumped down, hopped in the truck, and drove straight for the coast. Once the terrain became too rocky I hopped out and ran like hell until I reached a cave where I could fortify my position while I called in the chopper. Once it landed I was out of there.

Before this successful run I did try rushing my way through some of the tricky spots and simply couldn't pull it off. Once I took my time and really used the tools available, however, it worked brilliantly. I enjoyed the fact that they hand you objectives, a large map full of potential tools, and just let you go nuts. It's really refreshing and feels so satisfying. It is exactly the type of thing that made Crysis 1 so good only here the AI is dramatically better and the core mechanics more refined.

The fact that they were able to create several fantastic missions from the same map suggests that they're really onto something here.

Listen to the tape. Truck, flags, doors opening, etc. Soldiers talking around you also reveal music and screams coming from a specific area. It's all there but not directly spelled out.
I agree with this post 100%. Can't wait to see what's in store with TPP; GZs is really top notch! I had a moment of bravery (lol) on that mission, where I was cornered inside the Admin building by 4 guards. I toss a smoke grenade, wait for them to start choking, then run into the cloud and hip toss one guy, slam another into the wall face first, stiff arm another through a chain link fence, then finish the last dude with a 5 hit CQC combo. I fucking lost it! Of course I go check the share button and yep; the PS4 captured footage from 2 hours ago rather than the last 15 minutes. Pissed!

I love taking screenshots! And I love how each mission is set in a different time of day, each giving a different look to the wprld.

Morning:
13211594404_00689da728_o.png

Afternoon:
13263821964_5a164ea9dd_o.png

Late afternoon:
13263628613_84fc28d7c8_o.png

Dusk:
13263353065_6d050facc9_o.png

And of course, night:
13211246724_eac9ff8e96_o.png

And I love how dynamic the light is within all these settings, changing as you move from one area to another depending on surrounding light sources (different colored artificial lights, indoors, etc.), or lack thereof... The real-time night-day cycle in The Phantom Pain is going to be awesome.

SJRB

Gold Member
Is there a way to disable the alarm sirens in the "destroy the AA weapons" Side Op? I'm searching the base for prisoners and the non-stop siren blasting in my ear is driving me insane.

I've done it. Killed us all in the process too lol.

I've done it. Killed us all in the process too lol.
sounds exciting.
Kinda wanna just sprint into the base, run towards the troop carrier that drive by, blast the driver, b-line towards Chico and the other prisoners, blast the guards at that prison site, load up the truck with the hostages while blasting whoever comes at me, then race towards the take off.
Suicide mission.

jet1911

I'm really impressed with just how well they've handled stealth action on a larger scale. I was afraid that utilizing a more open world would ruin the quality of the encounters but that couldn't be further from the truth.

The mission where you have to disable the AA guns felt like something out of the original Crysis (but with a higher level of polish).

Potential mission spoiler?

As far as I could tell, you start the mission without any sort of explosive device or instruction on how to obtain them (unlike most games today, I suppose). There's no blinking transparent box available to press a button on. You really DO need to find a way to blow them up using game mechanics.

The first two were easy as there are explosive barrels near by. Kind of a cop-out, I suppose, but it works. The other two guns, however, had nothing nearby that could be used. So I actually drove a truck up to one of the AA guns and then snuck back out to safety. Then, I climbed a nearby guard tower, took a few shots at the engine and, sure enough, the truck exploded taking the AA gun along with it.

Of course this raised alarms which sent a large armored vehicle after me. I made my way to a corner of the map taking out guys along the way. Interrogating them revealed the locations of some potentially useful weapons (grenades, an SMG, and something else) but I wasn't sure they would work. So I climbed another tower and scoped out the area. I happened to notice a guard carrying a rocket launcher of some sort so I marked him and decided to go take him out.

This then results in a nice MGS-like stealth sequence as I had to sneak through the camp taking guys out quietly without raising the alarm further. I eventually made to the rocket guy who was standing underneath an awning of some sort. I snuck up, took him out and, sure enough, he dropped his launcher which I took. I then high-tailed it out of their to safety.

Next step was to find a good position from which to tackle the armored car. I climbed up on top of a building and watched. As the car came around the corner I unloaded a blast on him. Using the building as cover I could hide while reloading and, after three more shots, the truck exploded.

Next step? Get to the chopper. There was a truck parked near the building that I was attacking from so I jumped down, hopped in the truck, and drove straight for the coast. Once the terrain became too rocky I hopped out and ran like hell until I reached a cave where I could fortify my position while I called in the chopper. Once it landed I was out of there.

Before this successful run I did try rushing my way through some of the tricky spots and simply couldn't pull it off. Once I took my time and really used the tools available, however, it worked brilliantly. I enjoyed the fact that they hand you objectives, a large map full of potential tools, and just let you go nuts. It's really refreshing and feels so satisfying. It is exactly the type of thing that made Crysis 1 so good only here the AI is dramatically better and the core mechanics more refined.

The fact that they were able to create several fantastic missions from the same map suggests that they're really onto something here.

Listen to the tape. Truck, flags, doors opening, etc. Soldiers talking around you also reveal music and screams coming from a specific area. It's all there but not directly spelled out.

That's really cool! I just used the C4 I had in my inventory instead. :p

eso76

+Gameplay is great/amazing.
+Graphics(even looks great on PS3)
+Value wasn't as bad as I was expecting, really enjoyed some side-ops
Kojima
-Ending needed to be more drawn out, just felt so rushed.
-New Big Boss is awful.
-Trying too hard to be more serious, lacking the quirkiness that made Metal Gear great.

I just don't feel the connection like I did to all the others in the series with this and likely now with PP.

Strange that you'd write TPP off when 2 out of 3 negatives have nothing to do with mechanics or core elements and will likely not apply to TPP, while all the + are staying or even being improved.

The open ended stealth sandbox nature with little/no hand holding of the game reminds me of project igi a bit and sounds awesome to me.
Tomorrow...

sounds exciting.
Kinda wanna just sprint into the base, run towards the troop carrier that drive by, blast the driver, b-line towards Chico and the other prisoners, blast the guards at that prison site, load up the truck with the hostages while blasting whoever comes at me, then race towards the take off.
Suicide mission.
Go for it! Lol.

Strange that you'd write TPP off when 2 out of 3 negatives have nothing to do with mechanics or core elements and will likely not apply to TPP, while all the + are staying or even being improved.

Im not writing it off, just that my hype is much lower after this.

The gameplay isn't a huge deal for me,
The 2 with technically some of the worst(most basic) gameplay in the series are my favorites. MG2:SS and MGS1.

To me concerns about characters, story and tone outweigh the potentially amazing gameplay.

I would assume that's because it wasn't supposed to be an ending. It was supposed to feel sudden and rushed because it was meant to be a prologue that would get you excited to play the rest of the game.
One second "the inspectors" are about to arrive the next MB is almost completely destroyed already. last cutscene could have at least added a little more gameplay.
Was a great opportunity there for a unique gameplay section as MB is destroyed.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Just for the Record, you don't need to get all the XOF patches in one playthrough. Some misinformation on the internet and what it unlocks about that.

Just did a second playthough where I had one of them already. Got the unlock anyway. Kojima at least isn't troll enough to do something like that to players.

---

Argh and there's no guide location spoilers for Chico's tapes. It's driving me crazy trying to find these.

Spaghetti

shopto order dispatched.

looking forward to trying this for myself tomorrow, replaying peace walker for the third time is getting a little boring.

Bit-Bit

Spent almost 2 hours looking for the XoF patches. Found 3 on my own, 2 from interrogating guards. Gave up after the 50th interrogation and just went online and found a guide. I woner how you are supposed to find them "naturally" in the game. As they are tiny as shit.

Night. Vision. Goggles.

SJRB

Gold Member
Just for the Record, you don't need to get all the XOF patches in one playthrough. Some misinformation on the internet and what it unlocks about that.

Just did a second playthough where I had one of them already. Got the unlock anyway. Kojima at least isn't troll enough to do something like that to players.

---

Argh and there's no guide location spoilers for Chico's tapes. It's driving me crazy trying to find these.

But are both only available in the Ground Zeroes mission? I've been running Side Ops for quite some time and I haven't found anything yet.

Do enemies stay out longer if you knock them out or tranq them? Can't remember how it's been in previous games.

Knockout lasts longer. Edit: Only when done with the CQC 4-hit combo. Probably not the same if you knock them out by chocking or slamming.

I was surprised to read that in the tutorial messages. I had always assumed tranq lasts longer.

One disadvantage of knocking them out is that they will alert the base when they wake up (I think).

Awesome, thanks.

After finishing the main mission last night I was definitely feeling kind of annoyed at this being $30 (particularly the lack of story, was hoping for a satisfying tiny arc or at least an awesome conclusion) but today I'm already finding myself planning out a couple different runs through the main mission to take care of some different objectives, so I'm sure I'll ultimately get my money's worth after all.

cackhyena

Knockout lasts longer.

I was surprised to read that in the tutorial messages. I had always assumed tranq lasts longer.

One disadvantage of knocking them out is that they will alert the base when they wake up (I think).
Yeah, knocking them out sends them on alert upon wake up. I can't not interrogate every time I've come across an enemy. I've probably put four hours into the game and haven't even reached Paz yet. The amount of hours I could put into this is crazy. Can't wait for TPP.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
So you can interrogate them during hold up and CQC grabs?

Of course! I usually asked them for all the info I could get from them then I'd grab them to either choke them to sleep or slam them into the ground or wall.

Yes, and one thing you can do when you hold them up is tell them to "Get down!" and they'll lay on the ground face down indefinitely, until either another soldier calls to them or an alert goes on.

Oh they just stay there? I tranq'd them in the head afterwards to make sure.

Top Bottom