• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes |OT| Kaz, I'm already a demo

Mike Golf

Knockout lasts longer.

I was surprised to read that in the tutorial messages. I had always assumed tranq lasts longer.

One disadvantage of knocking them out is that they will alert the base when they wake up (I think).

From what I have experienced it is the opposite, I've had to revert to Tranqing because they would wake up too fast from just plain knocking them out.

From what I have experienced it is the opposite, I've had to revert to Tranqing because they would wake up too fast from just plain knocking them out.

How are you knocking them out? According to the manual they should be out longer if you knock them out with the 4(?)-hit CQC combo. It's probably not the same if you knock them out after chocking them or by slamming them into the floor/wall.

^ oh that explains it then. I've never knocked anyone out with a cqc combo.

I've had the same experience as you. It feels like people I knock out are always waking up while others I tranq are staying out of commission for a good while.

cackhyena

How are you knocking them out? According to the manual they should be out longer if you knock them out with the 4(?)-hit CQC combo. It's probably not the same if you knock them out after chocking them or by slamming them into the floor/wall.
That explains it for me then. I have yet to even do the four hit one. Is this the manual that takes you to a we page to view?

Salaadin

This. But as others already stated, cqc combo knocks em out for longer.

I like the various stages of sleep and uunconscious.

That explains it for me then. I have yet to even do the four hit one. Is this the manual that takes you to a we page to view?

I think I read it in the text pages that appear while the mission is loading, once it finishes loading it asks you to Press X to start the mission. I just flipped through ALL the pages one time and read them all.

SJRB

Gold Member
If I knock a guard out from a CQC chokehold I always shoot him in the head with a tranq dart, just to be sure. They wake up pretty fast from that.

Also - having the ingame manual direct you to a tiny slow-loading web page is just bonkers. I really don't understand why they did that.

MDSLKTR

I am absolutely in love, first time in years I can feel the japanese game polish again. Worth the money for me alone because it's all I can think about playing right now. And goddamn the sound design is monstrous on my setup.

Trigger

Well this is quite frustrating. On Konami's support page is says pretty clearly "You can install METAL GEAR SOLID V: Ground Zeroes to an Xbox 360 hard drive or USB flash drive (sold separately) on Xbox 360."

Yet it won't let me install the game because it keeps telling me there's no hard drive and a hard drive is required to install.

Ahhh, I'm having the same issue.

I wish I had visited this thread before I got the game.
r4CiE.png

ryuken-d

look up and not only does the screen get covered in rain drops but the pitter patter sounds to go along with it. much detail, so nice, amaze o_o

thats bad ass, I started playing last night and was pretty impressed by the controls they are very smart. I love the detail of control to, the prone roll the iron sights the recon abilities. cant wait to bite into it for real after work today.

PS4 btw

psychotron

Did anyone else think the game looks too bright at night time? The gamma calibration in the menu certainly was no help.

Yes, it does seem a bit bright. I tried using the games slider and even on 1 I can still see the image on the right. It's weird because usually my brightness is too low and I need to increase a bit. I ended up going with 3 and just leaving it.

jiiikoo

Banned
Could someone explain the proper way to buy the US digital version of MGSV Ground Zeroes on an Europian PS4? :eek: (silly question, sorry)

ryuken-d

Dear God I didn't think I could dislike the change to Kiefer anymore than I already had...
It is absolutely horrendous in Deja Vu.

Dat
terrible "Liquiiiiid"

I'm having trouble, I keep wanting it to be hayter. the only way I even notice its snake is because I notice its keifer.....not cool. he needs to be gravelyer....rougher. dammit you know what I mean.

Betty

Banned
Could someone explain the proper way to buy the US digital version of MGSV Ground Zeroes on an Europian PS4? :eek: (silly question, sorry)

You have to set up a US account first, this site was great at helping me.

After you make a US account, set your amazon US account with a US address, buy some 30$ worth of PSN money and add it to your US PSN account. Then simply add Ground Zeroes to your cart and download.

At some point, Big Boss' voice deviates from what Solid Snake's voice is. It makes sense that Big Boss has a different voice actor now.

More to the point, Hayter should've never voiced Big Boss. Keeping the same voice actor was a terrible mistake for both was a mistake that I'm happy they've corrected -- though I would've preferred Richard Doyle.

ryuken-d

I realize this will come across as mean, but it isn't intended to. I thought he sounded like a human being, and not the cartoon character that Snake's become.

- On another subject, how do you roll?

- Is there no way to pause the game? Cus that seems... unwise.

I've only rolled while prone but I pressed R3(or L3) while tilting the left stick.haha it must have been R3. so cool doing a prone roll it reminds me of the begining of MGS4 snake prone rolls across the entire street! haha.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooove it!!!!

The writing is well, "teen-like" but gotdayum at the gameplay.
Im definitely gonna play a lot in the sandbox.

Also... Paz Diary #5. Yup.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
At some point, Big Boss' voice deviates from what Solid Snake's voice is. It makes sense that Big Boss has a different voice actor now.
It only makes sense because they replaced the voice actor for MGS4 for Big Boss, there is no way Big Boss ever sounded like Solid Snake with Doyle's voice when he is older, so I'm pretty sure Kojima just wanted Big Boss to have a different voice(and fuck the Japanese version, it don't matter)
Which points to Solid Snake still being voiced by Hayter or someone else if he shows up in future games

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
BTW is it possible to grab the XOF patches during the 'side missions'?

Also im quite surprised at the stealth gameplay, i thought it was going to get ruined with all the aids but i what i didnt knew is that there's no more soliton radar so everything is more tense now.
Good stuff.

A game clearly held back by beign cross gen. :(
Agreed, at least graphics wise.

It only makes sense because they replaced the voice actor for MGS4 for Big Boss, there is no way Big Boss ever sounded like Solid Snake with Doyle's voice when he is older, so I'm pretty sure Kojima just wanted Big Boss to have a different voice(and fuck the Japanese version, it don't matter)
Which points to Solid Snake still being voiced by Hayter or someone else if he shows up in future games

Indeed, assuming Hayter's manbaby tirade/meltdown didn't burn any bridges.

Did anyone else think the game looks too bright at night time? The gamma calibration in the menu certainly was no help.

Yes, it does seem a bit bright. I tried using the games slider and even on 1 I can still see the image on the right. It's weird because usually my brightness is too low and I need to increase a bit. I ended up going with 3 and just leaving it.

Well the base does have giant lights flooding in from all around, and it looks like a full moon illuminating an overcast sky.

13201925344_38c5d6bc55_o.png

I also had to lower my brightness in-game to the minimum and I could still see the image on the right. I also found it weird because my monitor is usually calibrated. And me adjusting the in-game brightness should affect the screenshots I take, so the above pic would look even brighter on default :/

In contrast, this is how night in The Last of Us looks like:

13263637134_f555f95ebe_o.png

I love the way light quickly drops off into pitch black in that game, it creates a very aesthetically pleasing contrast.

13263246773_3d401cd20f_o.png

There's a finesse to the art of TLoU that leaves me in awe.

Sorry for the derail!

jiiikoo

Banned
You have to set up a US account first, this site was great at helping me.

After you make a US account, set your amazon US account with a US address, buy some 30$ worth of PSN money and add it to your US PSN account. Then simply add Ground Zeroes to your cart and download.

I already have my PS4 activated as primary on my normal PSN account, can I still Activate my system on the US account, so my Trophies and such go into the EU account?

Nevermind. Google was help. Sorry for the OT

jet1911

It looks pretty nice I think, most of the time, and it runs at a rock solid 60 fps without any hitches or skips. It's insanely smooth.

Yet it's still gorgeous and has a rock solid frame rate.

Oh yeah, I know that. I looooove the framerate and the main mission at night looks really good. But in other missions it just look like a PS3 game in HD and like I said in an earlier post no destructible environements makes me sad. I feel like there is less "wow" details in this than in MGS2.

Flo_Evans

Played for 3 hours last night, pretty awesome.

Don't like Keifers snake. All of the dialogue seemed pretty old though (from trailers) so hopefully he gets better in the "real" game.

Graphics look cross gen but it runs smooth, IQ was pretty clean, lighting pretty good.

The gameplay also felt very smooth, everything seems realtime instead of menu based. Will be interesting on boss fights... I have always kind of cheesed and used the "inventory pause" technique to plan my next move. Not sure I like the "bullet time" reaction but it does make you seem like a bad ass, and kind of has the same effect as doing an "inventory pause" except you are not in control of it.

Not so sure about the health system, going back to big boss I wanted to do some field medicine again. Instead you get COD deteriorating screen/regen and RE health spray? I also tried to eat a rat with no luck. bummer, I really liked the "Survival" aspects of MGS3.

Loved the openness of the map, again hope the full game is even more so. I got pinned down in the
armory
ran out capped some fools, got in a truck, ran over some dudes, jumped out of the burning truck under an underpass and snuck away. MGS/GTA

The lock on is pretty strong, this can be disabled? Online is going to be nuts.

Krakatoa

no destructible environements makes me sad. I feel like there is less "wow" details in this than in MGS2.

Yeah the only thing I have found you can blow up is one of the look out towers. If shoot the barrel it comes toppling down.

Seems odd that all the lookout towers don't do this.(maybe they do)

Top Bottom