• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes |OT| Kaz, I'm already a demo

I also had to lower my brightness in-game to the minimum and I could still see the image on the right. I also found it weird because my monitor is usually calibrated. And me adjusting the in-game brightness should affect the screenshots I take, so the above pic would look even brighter on default :/

Yeah the only time the right image disappeared is if I set the HDMI range to limited on a full range signal. So you would have to crush a whole lot of black for the games gamma calibration to be accurate.

So I just finished the main mission, took me about 2 hours.

I am a casual Metal Gear fan. I am a late bloomer when it comes to MGS, 4 was my first experience with the series and it blew me away, even though I had no real idea what was happening story wise. I have since gone back and played MGS 2 and 3 with the HD collection and my appreciation of the series has grown even more.

For me I come to MGS for the fiction, the cutscenes, the goofiness, the melodrama. It all clicks really well for me. Playing Ground Zeroes was such a tease. It was a reminder of how much I want to play another full on MGS game. The story in Ground Zeroes is extremely light, as others have said very reminiscent of the Tanker mission in 2. If I were to just play the main mission I'd definitely have felt ripped off.

Thankfully though I think this is the best playing MGS game to date and the visuals and open world design make me want to play all of the side missions, which when those are over I think I will feel like I have gotten my money's worth.

Yes it feels like Konami being a bunch of asshole at times, but, for me at least, it has served as a very effective hype builder. When The Phantom Pain was announced, I was on board, but not chomping at the bit for another massive MGS game. Play GZ has made me really, really want TPP as soon as possible, so perhaps mission accomplished for Konami.

Yeah the only thing I have found you can blow up is one of the look out towers. If shoot the barrel it comes toppling down.

Seems odd that all the lookout towers don't do this.(maybe they do)

You could still blow up all the lights, right? I hate it when games don't let you do that... I don't think MGS3 did, and can't remember MGS4.

nns3d

I just saw on youtube
the cyborg skin being unlockable when you completed the Deja Vu mission and I was wondering if there were any additional unlockable skins for the xbox versions of GZ

Just watched the deja vu mission, gotta say ps users got the better mission, although the raiden mission is still pretty fun, wish you could have used his sword though...

ryuken-d

It better, because I much prefer it over the regular design.

tumblr_n1zdplYqzt1srudz4o1_250.gif

so good reminds me of fist of legend with jet li.

raven777

can someone help me with one of the side missions?

The Classified Intel Acquisition mission. I got the guy but I don't know what I am suppose to do. I point gun at him and try to make him speak but it doesn't work. It says to grab him? but I don't know how to do it. What exactly am I suppose to do once I get him?

Oni3298

can someone help me with one of the side missions?

The Classified Intel Acquisition mission. I got the guy but I don't know what I am suppose to do. I point gun at him and try to make him speak but it doesn't work. It says to grab him? but I don't know how to do it. What exactly am I suppose to do once I get him?

Grab him... otherwise known as a CQC hold. Just hold R2.

Sami+

Some thoughts I wrote on another forum:

I think the best word for me to describe it with is "pure". It is the "purest" gameplay we've ever had in Metal Gear since MGS2. Everything feels organic and smooth, there's a ton of freedom to allow you to play any way you want, and lots of bloat the series has accumulated over the years like camouflage (which is fantastic in an outdoor setting, but unnecessary in bases like Shadow Moses, Big Shell, and Camp Omega), instant access to an entire armory of weapons, and unnecessary items have been cut, and it seriously feels great. No longer do you have to go into your items menu to select "scope" every time you want to use the binoculars, or even the radar, AP Sensor, or directional microphone. The binoculars are infinitely more useful now due to the lack of a radar, as you can use it to "tag" enemies from afar, setting a small symbol above their heads that allows you to keep an eye on them, and you can also listen in on enemy conversations with the built in directional microphone. The game now has a little white indicator that fades in when you're in danger of being caught, as well as a slow-mo "reaction time" effect that let's you shoot out a guard before they call for backup. Both of these can be turned off, and doing so increases your score, but I did really appreciate the alert indicator in particular. It's much less distracting than the threat ring from MGS4.

The level design allows for so much freedom, it's seriously amazing. I've had three runs so far and none of them were alike at all. I can see what Kojima meant now when he said that "when one hundred people play a mission, you'll see one hundred different stories playing out". It feels like you're really in control.

Game's fucking good. I had more fun with that one mission than I did in all of MGS4 and Peace Walker.

Oni3298

do u mean R1? because I thought R2 was binocular. And when I do R1 it usually knocks him cold..

Sorry, its R2 on my PS4. If its knocking him out cold you're doing it wrong. Just walk up to him, stop, the little CQC icon should pop up, then press and hold R1.

Ugh, just went to best buy, which said there were copies in stock, get there, don't see any copies on the rack, ask a guy, he says they are over at the register, get to the register and they can't find them, they look it up and it says there are 9 copies, so the guy goes downstairs to look, doesn't find them, asks his manager who says hes going to check somewhere else, the manager stands around for 10 minutes, then disappears and another 5 minutes later the original guy comes up and looks in a box and sees them and proceeds to tell me that all the copies they have are actually for preorders and I should come back on friday in case no one picks them up...

friggin half hour in the store just for that.

I'm thinking its a sign I shouldn't even bother getting this game.

Is the digital ps4 version 30 bucks? Or did that one drop in price to fall in line as well?

I think the best word for me to describe it with is "pure". It is the "purest" gameplay we've ever had in Metal Gear since MGS2. Everything feels organic and smooth, there's a ton of freedom to allow you to play any way you want, and lots of bloat the series has accumulated over the years like camouflage (which is fantastic in an outdoor setting, but unnecessary in bases like Shadow Moses, Big Shell, and Camp Omega), instant access to an entire armory of weapons, and unnecessary items have been cut, and it seriously feels great. No longer do you have to go into your items menu to select "scope" every time you want to use the binoculars, or even the radar, AP Sensor, or directional microphone. The binoculars are infinitely more useful now due to the lack of a radar, as you can use it to "tag" enemies from afar, setting a small symbol above their heads that allows you to keep an eye on them, and you can also listen in on enemy conversations with the built in directional microphone. The game now has a little white indicator that fades in when you're in danger of being caught, as well as a slow-mo "reaction time" effect that let's you shoot out a guard before they call for backup. Both of these can be turned off, and doing so increases your score, but I did really appreciate the alert indicator in particular. It's much less distracting than the threat ring from MGS4.

The level design allows for so much freedom, it's seriously amazing. I've had three runs so far and none of them were alike at all. I can see what Kojima meant now when he said that "when one hundred people play a mission, you'll see one hundred different stories playing out". It feels like you're really in control.

Game's fucking good. I had more fun with that one mission than I did in all of MGS4 and Peace Walker.

*bro-five*

This one mission indeed has better stealth than the entirety of MGS4 and PW for sure
Camp Omega honestly feels like it will be this generations "Contact" from Crysis1. As in, it will be a benchmark gameplay set piece that I will play over and over again for years to come (^___^)
I honestly thought "Do you have the intel" from Killzone Shadowfall would have been that but there just isn't enough content in it.

I'm still having a lot of fun replaying missions and S ranking them. I just wish there were a little more options. For instance, customizing a loadout before a mission. Maybe a few outfit options too, this is my favorite sneaking suit out of all the games, but it would be nice to have some camo options like in Peacewalker.

I'm hoping that The Phantom Pain brings all of that stuff back. And if they keep the ability to play coop with the new open levels, it will be godlike. I doubt coop will happen though. Personally, I would rather have that than MGO.

Yen

Oof, I am hyped! My copy hasn't even shipped yet, though.

I'm still having a lot of fun replaying missions and S ranking them. I just wish there were a little more options. For instance, customizing a loadout before a mission. Maybe a few outfit options too, this is my favorite sneaking suit out of all the games, but it would be nice to have some camo options like in Peacewalker.

I'm hoping that The Phantom Pain brings all of that stuff back. And if they keep the ability to play coop with the new open levels, it will be godlike. I doubt coop will happen though. Personally, I would rather have that than MGO.

I want to be able to strip down to Naked Snake in TPP. Please based Kojima.

SJRB

Gold Member
PS3 version has some texture/resolution downgrades and blur. Otherwise it looks nearly the same as the PS4 to me?

Impressive.

The differences are more apparant in motion though, the lighting on the PS4 is miles ahead of the PS3.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I really don't like how the unlocked weapons are crate drops in the starting area of missions. Makes it... really... cluttered and not really realistic of an insertion into the area. :/

cackhyena

I really don't like how the unlocked weapons are crate drops in the starting area of missions. Makes it... really... cluttered and not really realistic of an insertion into the area. :/

Drops or pick ups anywhere in the range the game allows isn't exactly realistic. There isn't a point available that the camp wouldn't be alerted with the chopper being that close.

Betty

Banned
I literally just found out that the rifle you find in the admin area
can erase them. Going to erase them all and report back.

I didn't manage to find them all,
MGS4 eluded me, but not all of them can be erased. When I tried to erase Metal Gear Acid 2, Kaz just said "Huh, that's nothing special."
Ice cold Kojima.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Drops or pick ups anywhere in the range the game allows isn't exactly realistic. There isn't a point available that the camp wouldn't be alerted with the chopper being that close.

True. But the weapon drop just doesn't make sense to me since previous entries in the series would shove all the weapons and items into a huge inventory box to pick choose/wade through.

The gameplay mechanics have improved tremendously in this iteration. It's entertaining just sneaking up on the marines and putting them in a headlock.

One minor adjustment should be made: Big Boss run's like a damn cyborg at full sprint. The speed should be dialed back slightly.

are there any other character skins in the playstation version besides
mgs1 snake and the cyborg ninja
?
That's it. I love with the second costume how
when you sprint you go super fast with lightning on your feet and when you jump off a ledge you go 5x further.

AKyemeni

I didn't manage to find them all,
MGS4 eluded me, but not all of them can be erased. When I tried to erase Metal Gear Acid 2, Kaz just said "Huh, that's nothing special."
Ice cold Kojima.
I've only found 6 outta 8. They are hidden real deep somewhere.

One mechanic that in my opinion needs to return 100% is a stamina meter. As much as I love sprinting it is a bit op and I think it can be balanced with the return of the meter and managing it.

Dave_6

The game looks great (PS4) on my 60" Kuro. Screenshots haven't done it much justice to seeing it in person at 1080p60. Some of the textures are iffy but looks great considering it's cross gen.

SJRB

Gold Member
One mechanic that in my opinion needs to return 100% is a stamina meter. As much as I love sprinting it is a bit op and I think it can be balanced with the return of the meter and managing it.

Why? I think a life-long trained veteran like Big Boss should be able to sprint around a base without running out of stamina.

Artificially crippling gameplay by using stamina bars to restrict players from running for more than 20 feet is just annoying in a huge area like Camp Omega.

Loxley

Wooooo got my first S Rank on the main mission.
I think it had a lot to do with the fact that saved every POW.
Also found my first two XOF badges on that run.

The Phantom Pain is going to be one of the most beautiful games ever created.

Lighting in this game was jaw dropping.

yeah, I get this weird, genuine "oh shit" feeling when the light skirts my position and that flare comes across the screen. Everything in this game feels "right" so far. Can't wait for TPP.

cackhyena

I don't think it's op at all. It almost always leads to being spotted when done for extended lengths. Given how much larger future maps will be, stamina monitoring would be a pain in the ass for no real reason.

Smilax

I finished the prologue yesterday and I have to say everything felt different to me. The controls, the atmosphere (seeing Kaz getting angry instead of his usual stuff is weird), and just how it looks. I'm now quite excited if this is what TPP is going to be like and I'm gonna try to find all the secrets. Have you guys found the XOF emblems and the tapes? Oh another thing I liked was listening to the tapes. That was really great.

Why? I think a life-long trained veteran like Big Boss should be able to sprint around a base without running out of stamina.

Artificially crippling gameplay by using stamina bars to restrict players from running for more than 20 feet is just annoying in a huge area like Camp Omega.

Exactly

He's considered the "Legendary Soldier" for a reason :)

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
You know what's weird, Hard doesn't feel like a bonus difficulty instead it feels like the correct difficulty. Less starting equipment, head on combat is less viable, and you have to be more cautious in general.

Top Bottom