• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes |OT| Kaz, I'm already a demo

At the
end after explosion
is what I thought, but I could be wrong.

That's pretty funny. Did they leave slowly or did it immediately go away?

After the grenade toss they stood around for maybe another thirty seconds before they announced they lost sight of me and were going to check where I was last spotted. I'm not sure where they thought that was because they were long gone when I stopped running, haha.

Robin Atkin Downes is a fucking amazing voice actor. He was so good in Peace Walker, and he seems great in this and TPP so far. Pretty happy about that casting choice.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I don't know. Deja Vu made me lose a little hope due to the fact Sutherland rerecorded all of hayters lines.
Oh shit yeah, forgot about that
But is the deja vu suppose to be Solid Snake or Boss having a deja vu of being Solid Snake?

I noticed a deleted scenes I think. In the phantom pain red band trailer there is a part in ground zeroes where the guards grab a pow and put water on his mask and then they let him walk a few steps before shooting him in the back. Is this in a extra op or removed completely?

Noticed that, too! Not to mention the scene where we see the shock and awe written all over Big Boss' face as he looks on from the chopper. Maybe they'll be in The Phantom Pain in the form of a flashback?

I still cannot get past Sutherland as Snake. I was watching streams last night and it kept weirding me out. I can't help but think Kaz just couldn't help himself as a guy who wants to make movies, and had to have a "big name" voice actor in the lead role.

Trike

At some point, Big Boss' voice deviates from what Solid Snake's voice is. It makes sense that Big Boss has a different voice actor now.

I agree, but it doesn't make sense to do it during Ground Zeroes, which is pretty much a direct sequel to Peace Walker. Why not just wait until after the coma? Also why not explain this reasoning to Hayter, who has been heavily involved in the series since the first MGS? Also why Kiefer? He is terrible as Big Boss. I'd rather have Hayter at his worse than Kiefer "Going through the motions to get paid" Sutherland.
I still cannot get past Sutherland as Snake. I was watching streams last night and it kept weirding me out. I can't help but think Kaz just couldn't help himself as a guy who wants to make movies, and had to have a "big name" voice actor in the lead role.

Well, we did find out that he gets blinded and lost limbs in Phantom Pain. He has been going through a lot.

So what is the trick to driving past guards in a vehicle unnoticed? I know the APC works fine because Boss isn't exposed at all. I'm guessing the jeep is the most risky and then the truck supplies a little more cover? Just saw a vid where someone just flew out of the base with Paz in the truck and never got alerted. When I tried I pretty much got instantly spotted. I have already S ranked the mission. Just looking for quicker paths. My usual route is to go out the side of the base by the helipads.

Yeah, its definitely not because he is a better actor "with more emotion".
Kiefer in Deja Vu is much worse than the worst of Hayter.

Though honestly after playing a lot more my hype for TPP has gone back up.
If Kojima gives us an updated Solid model and more crazy side-ops I will be satisfied.

Arklite

Has anyone tried remoteplay on Vita yet?

How's the performance?

It works well enough and is awesome to see it running in portable form, but the controls make it a less viable option. For example, using the standard scheme, you'd hold the top right part of the rear track pad for the binoculars, while tapping the bottom right part to zoom in and out. It's a lot more awkward than it sounds. Also, the depth of field effect that works relatively well on a TV screen doesn't translate well to portable. It's a giant distracting blur on small screen.

MormaPope

Banned
I agree, but it doesn't make sense to do it during Ground Zeroes, which is pretty much a direct sequel to Peace Walker. Why not just wait until after the coma? Also why not explain this reasoning to Hayter, who has been heavily involved in the series since the first MGS? Also why Kiefer? He is terrible as Big Boss. I'd rather have Hayter at his worse than Kiefer "Going through the motions to get paid" Sutherland.

Well, we did find out that he gets blinded and lost limbs in Phantom Pain. He has been going through a lot.

The fact that people say this and then say they want Hayter back is some hilarious shit. Hayter as Big Boss has the same inflection and tone 90% of the time. Kiefer can instill tone, different inflections, and emotion with each thing he says, unlike Hayter, who played roles due to nostalgia and fan pandering.

Just noticed a few bugs on my second playthrough of the main mission.

Mainly in the form of guards appearing out of thin air.

I climbed a tower (where I could see a guard moving the spotlight) and he wasn't up there (wasn't invisible either as I moved around up top and shifted the angle of the light).

When I climbed down, he was suddenly in the tower again and shooting at me.

And anyone remember the fake traffic in the old GTA games? Where you could quickly look behind you and see certain cars, then look ahead and back again and see either none or a totally different set? That happened with a pair of guards tracking around the base. They warped into different positions a number of times, but most noticeably when I was rotating the camera to take a screenshot.

I'll accept a bug, but if this is simply fake AI that is going to be in the next game, it's pretty shitty.

The fact that people say this and then say they want Hayter back is some hilarious shit. Hayter as Big Boss has the same inflection and tone 90% of the time.

Go compare Deja Vu to even the Twin Snakes version of MGS1 just to see how bad Kiefer is.

Noticed that, too! Not to mention the scene where we see the shock and awe written all over Big Boss' face as he looks on from the chopper. Maybe they'll be in The Phantom Pain in the form of a flashback?
Where did you get that image for your avatar?
I need to get Deja Vu's

This is the message board equivalent of looking at your high school photos and wondering what the hell you were thinking.

True, except for the fact that high school* was real, and this is the internet.

Perhaps I should have better articulated my situation… which was that I was on my lunch break at work, did not have the game in front of me (no access to in-game manual), and despite Googling ‘Metal Gear Solid Ground Zeroes online manual’, I’d not come up with anything other than “guides” (none of which had sections on CQC), AND that is was my hope a fellow GAF member might be able to provide a link to something I could look through prior to getting home and jumping back into the game. Considering it is no longer my lunch break, I suppose this is neither here nor there, and I’ll just chalk up the lack of a helpful answer to GAF not delivering on my particular request. Perhaps it was an unreasonable one. So it goes.

*At this point I feel a lot of nostalgia for the mistakes I made in high school.

Where did you get that image for your avatar?
I need to get Deja Vu's

It's from the trophy set! I will make one for you - the Deja Vu trophy icon, that is. :)

EDIT:

Hope this works for you:

A6i3xIa.gif

Edzi

More to the point, Hayter should've never voiced Big Boss. Keeping the same voice actor was a terrible mistake for both was a mistake that I'm happy they've corrected -- though I would've preferred Richard Doyle.

Big Boss having Snakes voice has always been the intent, and it continues to be the intent in the Japanese version. I also don't understand why people think Doyle is a good choice... Him being in MGS4 only made sense because there was a long conversation between Snake and a revived BB. It was necessary to avoid confusion for the listener, but I didn't think his voice stood out in any way. He just sounded like an old guy.

Compare Hayter's performance in every other Metal Gear game to MGS1 to see how bad Hayter is. The drop off from great to middling happens immediately.

I still think he was alright in MGS2 and 3. He didn't have the range of a great actor but it worked good enough for me. It was 4 & PW where his performance really dropped off as his only way to portray and older man was to make his voice super duper gravely.

AwShucks

I don't know. Deja Vu made me lose a little hope due to the fact Sutherland rerecorded all of hayters lines.

Oh man really? Well...that might throw the theory of Hayter being Solid Snake still out the window, unless they are still trolling everyone into thinking otherwise.

I'm just going to be so disappointed if Hayter is simply gone from the series. Sutherland is bad enough that it almost ruins the experience for me.

The fact that people say this and then say they want Hayter back is some hilarious shit. Hayter as Big Boss has the same inflection and tone 90% of the time. Kiefer can instill tone, different inflections, and emotion with each thing he says, unlike Hayter, who played roles due to nostalgia and fan pandering.

I want Hayter because he is Snake to me. Sutherland as Big Boss in Ground Zeroes is some of the worst voice acting I've heard. Going through the motions is the perfect way to put it. Just reading lines from a script for the most part. No emotion. At least with Hayter even if it's "going through the motions" it's at least the voice that Snake should have.

soup or man

Neo Member
I played Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes and FFX HD pretty much all day yesterday. I finished the main mission in Ground Zeroes in just about 3 1/2 hours, but that was playing very stealthily and kinda sorta searching for XOF patches and just playing around with the game mechanics in general. But I went right back to it after putting a few hours into FFX. Overall I'm happy with my GZ purchases (I got it for both PS4 and Xbone) and I think it'll keep me entertained for a quite a while since I usually try to do everything in Metal Gear, being that it's my favorite videogame franchise.

Holy shit, an enemy APC got taken out by a claymore that they planted for me, and went flying into the ocean.

Oh and I really don't like the anti-air mission. Constant alert phase is lame for a stealth no-kill player like me.

Edit: I did press share! Let me see it it recorded the correct 15 minutes.

bronk

Banned
I really get a kick out of running and diving on my stomach. Im having a great time I havent played a stealth game in awhile. It feels good.

I do not like Sutherlands voice over Hayters.
Random but I recently found out Hayter was in Guyver 2 Dark Hero. I fucking love that movie.

Batzi

Banned
My gameplay impressions:

First time I started playing, the first thing you notice is how beautiful the graphics are (I have the PS4 version) and how smooth the game plays. You can't just ignore the fact that the game plays smoothly, it feels so good and makes you want to play more regardless of what the game has to offer in terms of mechanics, the framerate in GZ is a huge leap over the last 4 MGS games (counting PO), specially MGS4.

When I started playing around with the game, it felt so familiar and very easy to pick up. I felt like I have played the game before, which is a very good indication at how friendly the controls are even though you would still have to get used to some of the new things but the game plays very very well.

Controls are very similar to Peace Walker so it didn't take me time to figure them out.

I love the animation and love that they fixed the awkward jump/landing animation that was seen in the TGS build of the game. I didn't get the chance to drive any vehicle since I was focusing mainly on being stealthy at all times.

It took me 2 hours and 7 minutes (without cutscenes) to complete the main mission. I actually decided to explore Camp Omega on my first playthrough and decided to do it stealth only so whenever I was getting spotted, I was restarting from the last checkpoint.

Speaking of getting spotted, man the AI is a huge improvement when compared to the ones in past entries in the series. In fact, they are on a new different level. This game will keep you on your toes all the times and YES you WILL need Reflex Mode and Enemy Tagging. Without them, you will get spotted more often and it won't be pleasant to deal with that, trust me.

The addition of Enemy Tagging and Reflex Mode does not by any means make the game easier. The game on Normal difficulty is pretty challenging as it is specially when you decide to stay undetected while
extracting Paz
. Man that was a pain in the ass but I loved every bit of it.

This IS a REAL stealth simulation, and this is the MGS game that all MGS fans would want to play, not just for the story but mainly for the gameplay. This game has A LOT to offer in that area. You will be satisfied.

As far as story goes, there is not much to say about it since it is only a prologue and only a few story bits can be mentioned and talked about thoroughly but one particular story bit that happens
after the credits
is fucking mind blowing to me at least since it opens a lot of possibilities for debates and theories. I was not expecting that even though Kojima hinted at it but I completely forgot about it.

I still have a lot to explore, even my 2 hours exploration of Camp Omega was still not enough for me to explore the setting itself and the possible scenarios that one player could take to finish specific tasks. And I am only talking about the main mission. And btw, I only managed to find 1 XOF patch during my 2 hours playthrough.

That ending happened fast but damn it was intense! All I can say is damn it KOJIMA! <3

Last but not least, Kiefer Sutherland is the PERFECT fit. Although he has few lines to say, everything he said was AMAZING and was executed perfectly well! I wanted more!

YES this game is VERY short BUT it will make you look forward to The Phantom Pain and will make it easily your number 1 most anticipated game of 2015.

V has come to!

Big Boss having Snakes voice has always been the intent, and it continues to be the intent in the Japanese version. I also don't understand why people think Doyle is a good choice... Him being in MGS4 only made sense because there was a long conversation between Snake and a revived BB. It was necessary to avoid confusion for the listener, but I didn't think his voice stood out in any way. He just sounded like an old guy.

I liked the way Doyle sounded in the first Peace Walker English trailer. I wonder if they considered Doyle to take over Big Boss at some point. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sx4k1aa07Ng

bidguy

Banned
wow never played a mgs game and man do i feel lost

dont know whats going on are the tapes backstory from previous games ?

kurbaan

Banned
Just finished this game. And all I can say is what a massive disappointment. Final playtime was 52 minutes... and I did explore a bit on the way to the targets.

But its not the playtime that disappoints me. The stealth is just not that good. MGS4 started in the TPS direction and this game is basically a TPS. i tried to stealth but its just not that great to sneak around anymore (can't knock on doors, peek around even, cardboads etc) so if i got caught I just started killing everyone and it was pretty easy to just play it as a TPS.

And then there is the other stupid changes like regen health which makes playing it like any TPS super easy, ONLY 2 weapons, no codec and Kiefer is NOT Snake (Even though he had like 5 lines).

It seems to me like Kojima just pandered to all these western journalists who don't even care about mgs games and made this a TPS to appease those people. I have basically zero hope for TPP now especially if its anything like this game. A real waste of $30.

MGS GZ: The worst MGS game

The one and only moment of brilliance in the story is the use of (mild credits spoilers)
Here's To You as a bookend
, although I'm not actually sure if everything about that is intentional or if Kojima sort of stumbled into an awesome irony, since he's used the song in other, less relevant contexts before if I remember right.

Spaghetti

wow never played a mgs game and man do i feel lost

dont know whats going on are the tapes backstory from previous games ?
the tapes aren't backstory. they're contextual information pertaining to ground zeroes.

i'm finding it really hilarious how divisive this game is. within the last two posts we've had a love letter to ground zeroes and another calling it the worst mgs game.

liunli

Neo Member
I get an error when I boot up the ps4 version

"A network error has occurred.
You will not be able to use online features
such as uploading rankings or records.
Game will begin in offline mode. (10003)
"

Does anyone else get this? My other games r fine

Just finished this game. And all I can say is what a massive disappointment. Final playtime was 52 minutes... and I did explore a bit on the way to the targets.

But its not the playtime that disappoints me. The stealth is just not that good. MGS4 started in the TPS direction and this game is basically a TPS. i tried to stealth but its just not that great to sneak around anymore (can't knock on doors, peek around even, cardboads etc) so if i got caught I just started killing everyone and it was pretty easy to just play it as a TPS.

And then there is the other stupid changes like regen health which makes playing it like any TPS super easy, ONLY 2 weapons, no codec and Kiefer is NOT Snake (Even though he had like 5 lines).

It seems to me like Kojima just pandered to all these western journalists who don't even care about mgs games and made this a TPS to appease those people. I have basically zero hope for TPP now especially if its anything like this game. A real waste of $30.

Just like every MGS game before it.

You can definitely run-and-gun in all MGS games, mainline ones anyway. This isn't new.

And while they took out the awesome knocking and shit like that, it's more reliant on straight up stealth.

murgo

"

Same here, got the game today.

"

PS3 version, every time.

Weird, I've played every MGS game and found the stealth in this one to be the best yet, save for lack of box/knocking. Controls are super tight.

This game will keep you on your toes all the times and YES you WILL need Reflex Mode and Enemy Tagging.

The addition of Enemy Tagging and Reflex Mode does not by any means make the game easier.
???

Am waiting on $10, but was planning on disabling all of that stuff.

Weird, I've played every MGS game and found the stealth in this one to be the best yet, save for lack of box/knocking. Controls are super tight.

I think because it's so raw in comparison to the other games, it feels like it's more stealth-based. You are in an open world with no transitions, you are bare and out in the open, so it takes creeping in the shadows but without the reliance on jumping in a locker, despite how cool that was.

I've been using things like empty magazines and more clever methods rather than running past them.

Top Bottom