• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes |OT| Kaz, I'm already a demo

AJ_Wings

Kinda late into this thread but no knocking? Do you have any other method to draw guards to your location or a distraction tool?

RedAssedApe

Banned
Thanks for reminding me how Big Boss / Snake should sound. It's not the greatest, but it's better than absolutely every line from Sutherland.

Disagree with this. IMO none of BB's supposed charisma shines through in Hayter's performances. He might as well be the same exact empty shell that is SS.

Bit-Bit

"I am bad at the stealth therefore the stealth is bad"

Logic 101.

Seriously, dude complains that he can't stealth the game. But that's true for almost every metal gear game. You've always had the option of just going guns blazing. But the enemies in GZ surrounds you quicker and takes you out much faster.

Someone needs to go ly dow.

Kamina

Golden Boy
So I just finished the Main Mission. Took me about 2.5 hours. The Graphics and Engine are phantastic. What I love especially is that Enemies do not always tend to see you and shoot at you during alert mode, but the last spot you were when someone had a clear line of sight to you.
In MGS3 and 4 it was still that when spotted and pople were shooting at Snake, no matter where you ran and hid, they alwas shot in your direction, even if they didnt see you running behind a house and crawlong unter a car there for example.

If there one complaint I have, is that the engine streaming seems to be a little slow. I've noticed enemies appear out of thin air quite a few times. Mostly on the binocs, but sometimes on foot as well which led to frustration lol

i have to say i'm kind of a mgs newbie.
but i saw the gameplay and the graphics and got interested in it immediately. in anticipation for it i played the hd collection on my vita and i thought: ok they're pretty good games.

i bought ground zeroes today and I LOVE IT! i haven't expected that if i'm honest.
but the gameplay feels so good and its one of the games where i want to play it stealthy, for example in ac i didn't . if they can keep this level on phantom pain it will be one of the best games i've played in the last years.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Peace Walker spoilers: Listen to this and tell me that he doesn't butcher this entire moment.

Anyway, Hayter was always better playing the smarmy detached special ops soldier. That's the role he auditioned for, and got the job. The character of Big Boss, a different character, was handed to him. He's delivery doesn't evoke the charisma needed for Big Boss, like Doyle and Sutherland's does.

Man, I really don't like Hayter's forced gravelly voice. I don't remember it sounding so bad in the original Metal Gear Solid, which is the only one I played in English. Of course, I was much younger at the time and voice acting standards weren't the same as they are now.

I haven't bought Ground Zeroes yet. Any good examples of Kiefer Sutherland's take on Big Boss?

RedAssedApe

Banned
I noticed that some of the cassette tapes are basically just audio clips from peace walker. haven't listened to all of them yet. do they have clips that feature BB? kiefer re-recorded?

MormaPope

Banned
Can you still go to first person view with the weapons?

Yes, and its not nearly as OP as before. Right now I'm playing with the HUD completely off so for precise shots I have to use first person view. I can still aim in third person with weapons, and I'm still pretty precise in firefights, but to retain stealth I have to use first person mode.

First person mode can be used for:

Aiming weapons
Driving vehicles
Throwing magazines
Throwing grenades

Alienous

Man, I really don't like Hayter's forced gravelly voice. I don't remember it sounding so bad in the original Metal Gear Solid, which is the only one I played in English. Of course, I was much younger at the time and voice acting standards weren't the same as they are now.

I haven't bought Ground Zeroes yet. Any good examples of Kiefer Sutherland's take on Big Boss?

It wasn't, that's why. It's gotten worse since MGS1, and become bad since MGS4.

I squee a little inside whenever I look at my iDroid and I see my destination area, and all the enemies i've marked in between. So many options! >_<

Much dynamic, so gameplay, very graphics, wow :p

edit: throwing enemies over the cliff sides feels so eerily good.

Anyone else surprised at how solid the driving mechanics feel? It seems that every series new to vehicles has a problem with handling/weight. The acceleration, braking, and turning in GZ just feel right.

RedAssedApe

Banned

Yeah sounds bad compared to how he voiced SS in MGS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F61qyDLZXvQ

Well, just finished the main mission, and holy shit. Never played a game so tight in a gameplay sense. everything is totally fair, and still difficult. sorta feels real in a sense.
About Kiefer... I'm on the team that thinks BB shouldn't have the same voice as snake, and thinks it got really bad on MGS4 and PW. To be fair though, i don't think Hayter was bad on the other games. 1-2 and to a lesser degree 3 were good jobs, VA wise.

With that said, LOVED Kiefer. it feels like he starts really bad, with the intro scene, but as the game goes on, he only got better, and on the chopper scene, my god. Can't wait to see what he's able to do in Phantom Pain.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Is there a time limit for getting S rank, or is it more important to not kill anyone / get alerts, etc?

i have to say i'm kind of a mgs newbie.
but i saw the gameplay and the graphics and got interested in it immediately. in anticipation for it i played the hd collection on my vita and i thought: ok they're pretty good games.

i bought ground zeroes today and I LOVE IT! i haven't expected that if i'm honest.
but the gameplay feels so good and its one of the games where i want to play it stealthy, for example in ac i didn't . if they can keep this level on phantom pain it will be one of the best games i've played in the last years.

That's because Metal Gear lets you be stealthly by your own accord. While Assassin's Creed has so many silly secondary objectives it come across as "follow these exact steps to achieve stealth". If you stray away from the intended design at all in AC the entire thing starts falling apart.

mf.luder

What's the purpose of the signal grenades? To get air support from the chopper?

I'm a little confused here. I tried to get the chopper to land just outside Chico's prison in the open area but it went over to the actually landing zone.

Just finished this game. And all I can say is what a massive disappointment. Final playtime was 52 minutes... and I did explore a bit on the way to the targets.

But its not the playtime that disappoints me. The stealth is just not that good. MGS4 started in the TPS direction and this game is basically a TPS. i tried to stealth but its just not that great to sneak around anymore (can't knock on doors, peek around even, cardboads etc) so if i got caught I just started killing everyone and it was pretty easy to just play it as a TPS.

And then there is the other stupid changes like regen health which makes playing it like any TPS super easy, ONLY 2 weapons, no codec and Kiefer is NOT Snake (Even though he had like 5 lines).

It seems to me like Kojima just pandered to all these western journalists who don't even care about mgs games and made this a TPS to appease those people. I have basically zero hope for TPP now especially if its anything like this game. A real waste of $30.

MGS GZ: The worst MGS game

I feel like they made the changes I wouldn't have made, and kept things the same that I would have changed.

For example, I think the marking of targets, the removal of the radar, and the removal of health packs were mistakes.

But I would have rewritten the movement and cover mechanics, with all their ridiculous button prompts littering the screen constantly. It still looks a bit clunky at times, and I wish they would have focused on the movement being more fluid and natural.

kmax

Whatever happens after Phantom Pain, Kojima absolutely must remake MG1 and MG2 for the franchise to come full circle. Just the thought of Big Boss facing Solid Snake makes my metal gear senses tingle.

87000-Antonio-Banderas-OH-YEAH-gif-c-5cCi.gif

Toreal

will i be able to dl the game at midnight here in EU?

I can not find any info regarding this, the playstation blog just says 20 of march.
I think some of the first party titles have gotten a midnight release but I have a feeling that mgs will not be getting one.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
So, I planted some C4 on a guy, but it wouldn't let me detonate it. :(

edit: Ok, I'm dumb and pressed the wrong buttons.

SkylineRKR

Whatever happens after Phantom Pain, Kojima absolutely must remake MG1 and MG2 for the franchise to come full circle. Just the thought of Big Boss facing Solid Snake makes my metal gear senses tingle.

87000-Antonio-Banderas-OH-YEAH-gif-c-5cCi.gif

It would make sense for me if KojiPro ultimately tackles the original MG games. TPP's ending probably won't be that far from MG1's timeline.

I would gladly take Hammy Hayter over Sleepy Sutherland. Just another example of getting a big name celebrity for the hell of it. I'm willing to bet that Hayter's more likely to broaden his range than Sutherland is to eventually give a shit about anything he's reading into the mic.

Edzi

hayter was pretty great in mgs1, definitely his peak. one of my favourite codec calls is the one after that about who snake considers family. http://youtu.be/VOUeR1v5uZ4?t=3m53s

shame its all down hill after mgs1.

Man, I forgot how incredible Hayter was in MGS1. Makes me even more sad that he's no longer a part of the series... The issues people seem to have with his overly gravelly voice in 4 and PW can be chalked up to direction I think, and he was probably told repeatedly to make his voice more tired and old. His performances in the first 3 games are all I need to know that he's perfectly capable to continue the role, and I don't think I'll ever be truly okay with a replacement..

kiaaa

Wow, he really ramped up the forced gravel over the years. That Big Boss speech was comical.

I'm fine with it as a sign of age, especially since Solid Snake's age advances so much more quickly than normal people.

Big Boss was also involved pretty heavily in nuclear testing, so something as small as his voice becoming really gravelly. isn't really unbelievable.

raviolico

I can not find any info regarding this, the playstation blog just says 20 of march.
I think some of the first party titles have gotten a midnight release but I have a feeling that mgs will not be getting one.

well, thanks. i`ve got the same feeling.. :(

Alienous

Man, I forgot how incredible Hayter was in MGS1. Makes me even more sad that he's no longer a part of the series... The issues people seem to have with his overly gravelly voice in 4 and PW can be chalked up to direction I think. He was probably told repeatedly to make his voice more tired and old. His performances in the first 3 games are all I need to know that he's the only Snake/BB for me.

No. He's Solid Snake, but his best performances are too smarmy and cold for Big Boss. They're very different characters, and though it worked when Big Boss was only Naked Snake Hayter doesn't have a commanding enough 'tenor' to deliver the performance Big Boss needs.

liunli

Neo Member
Played for first time and was very impressed. Exceeded my expectations. The game mechanics are perfect. I spent like 2 hours just messing around and exploring and haven't even done any missions yet. The controls are PERFECT! Graphics are good, that 60fps does feel s bit weird in cutscenes, noticed immediately.

Still get this damn error though wtf

"A network error has occurred.
You will not be able to use online features
such as uploading rankings or records.
Game will begin in offline mode. (10003)"

zeroyazi

Banned
I'm enjoying the prologue so far. Haven't sat down and played a MGS game since Twin Snakes. The stealth is great. I prefer AI that spots me with ease from a good distance as I think it adds to the challenge. Haven't completed it yet. First couple runs were just me running around checking the different areas of the camp and jumping in the large guns. The audio is awesome and having it turned up on my system sounds wonderful. Really adds to the stealth game play, as I can simply listen to the soldier walk around/away/at me, and know exactly where they are.

Looking forward to finding out what Ground Zeroes will unlock in The Phantom Pain.

Chico = Pit? I won't be able to un-hear this will I?

Edzi

No. He's Solid Snake, but his best performances are too smarmy and cold for Big Boss. They're very different characters, and though it worked when Big Boss was only Naked Snake Hayter doesn't have a commanding enough 'tenor' to deliver the performance Big Boss needs.

He's also Big Boss. Whether or not you think it was a mistake, the man did a fine job when cast as Naked Snake in MGS3 and it's silly to think his character would change so drastically that he needs a new voice after he becomes BB. Naked Snake and Big Boss are the same person, no matter how much he might change over time. I have no doubt based on what I've heard that Hayter could have pulled off Big Boss if given the appropriate direction.

Top Bottom