• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes |OT| Kaz, I'm already a demo

AwShucks

Disagree with this. IMO none of BB's supposed charisma shines through in Hayter's performances. He might as well be the same exact empty shell that is SS.

Listening to that clip that was posted I do think it's a bit gravely/choking/smoker cough sounding. I'm not saying I have loved the progression of Hayter as Big Boss. I'm just saying that I really do not like Sutherland and don't get what the point in changing it is. Unless the point is them meeting/talking to each other in a Metal Gear 1 remake.

And even if that does happen, I still think Sutherland is not really good in Ground Zeroes. I have nothing against him as an actor either, he just doesn't seem to be doing anything other than reading the lines in his own voice.

EDIT: Anyways, I think I've discussed his voice enough. I love the game and can't wait to play more tonight. This thread has so many tidbits of information that I never would have thought of even trying.

I noticed that some of the cassette tapes are basically just audio clips from peace walker. haven't listened to all of them yet. do they have clips that feature BB? kiefer re-recorded?

Paz's Diary tapes are. Apart from that, there are no other recycled tapes from PW, but there's one tape that has Snake and Kaz discussing Paz's tapes and there's a few tapes that has Paz describing her mission, separate from the diary.

kiaaa

Listening to that clip that was posted I do think it's a bit gravely/choking/smoker cough sounding. I'm not saying I have loved the progression of Hayter as Big Boss. I'm just saying that I really do not like Sutherland and don't get what the point in changing it is. Unless the point is them meeting/talking to each other in a Metal Gear 1 remake.

And even if that does happen, I still think Sutherland is not really good in Ground Zeroes. I have nothing against him as an actor either, he just doesn't seem to be doing anything other than reading the lines in his own voice.

EDIT: Anyways, I think I've discussed his voice enough. I love the game and can't wait to play more tonight. This thread has so many tidbits of information that I never would have thought of even trying.

I think it's important to remember that we never hear about Big Boss being a charismatic leader. Kaz is the real leader of MSF and the Diamond Dogs. Big Boss is just the face of the organization, someone everyone will be willing to follow because of his charisma as an unrivaled war hero.

Lingitiz

He didn't have too many lines anyways. The only scene where he gets to show any emotion whatsoever is the ending, and even then he only says a few things. I think in TPP the reasons for the switch will become a lot more obvious. Big Boss is gonna go through a ton of shit and they need someone that can do a better range of emotions.

Besides, we all know Hayter is gonna show up as Solid Snake eventually anyways. It's so obvious that they have to do it.

This game was actually difficult for me at first, even on normal. I thought I had just lost my touch with game since I dont have as much time to play them anymore. However, I got the hang of it after an hour.

I feel like Sutherland and Hayter are two extremes on opposite sides. Hayter is too over the top these days, but he's memorable. Sutherland is much more real and serious, but is too low-key to be memorable.

Sutherland did well enough as Big Boss, I like it. But I don't love it. Like most actors, I think he just needs his voice director to push him harder and give stronger direction. If he got a little more dramatic I'd be happy.

Flo_Evans

^honestly I feel like that is the problem with a big name actor in a video game, seems like people are afraid to direct them. Like "how can I tell Keifer Sutherland he said this wrong?" crap just go with it.

Xevren

Man I've been having a lof of fun with this, if anything it's just going to make the wait for Phantom Pain so painful! Finished main mission with no alerts/kills in 20 minutes to get my S rank. Hells yeah.

kmax

He didn't have too many lines anyways. The only scene where he gets to show any emotion whatsoever is the ending, and even then he only says a few things. I think in TPP the reasons for the switch will become a lot more obvious. Big Boss is gonna go through a ton of shit and they need someone that can do a better range of emotions.

Besides, we all know Hayter is gonna show up as Solid Snake eventually anyways. It's so obvious that they have to do it.

When it comes to Big Boss, I can see where people are coming from. Sutherland's not as bad as I thought he would be, and they'll need to differentiate between the two characters anyways since they'll meet down the line. With that said, it would seriously rustle my jimmies if they replaced Hayter for good and brought in someone else for Solid Snake. That shit ain't flying.

Man, I really don't like Hayter's forced gravelly voice. I don't remember it sounding so bad in the original Metal Gear Solid, which is the only one I played in English. Of course, I was much younger at the time and voice acting standards weren't the same as they are now.

I haven't bought Ground Zeroes yet. Any good examples of Kiefer Sutherland's take on Big Boss?
It's gotten progressively worse. You can go back to the first MGS and see its a genuinely good performance. By now Hayter's Snake is just a chariciature

Edzi

When it comes to Big Boss, I can see where people are coming from. Sutherland's not as bad as I thought he would be, and they'll need to differentiate between the two characters anyways since they'll meet down the line. With that said, it would seriously rustle my jimmies if they replaced Hayter for good and brought in someone else for Solid Snake. That shit ain't flying.

You guys realize that the Japanese VA for SS and BB is still the same, right? I seriously doubt Kojima would go to such lengths only to troll his English speaking audience. As sad as it is to admit, I think Hayter was just straight up replaced by Kojima.

Trike

The fact that people say this and then say they want Hayter back is some hilarious shit. Hayter as Big Boss has the same inflection and tone 90% of the time. Kiefer can instill tone, different inflections, and emotion with each thing he says, unlike Hayter, who played roles due to nostalgia and fan pandering.

I believe Kiefer can too, which is why it is confusing that he hasn't with Big Boss.

AwShucks

You guys realize that the Japanese VA for SS and BB is still the same, right? I seriously doubt Kojima would go to such lengths only to troll his English speaking audience. As sad as it is to admit, I think Hayter was just straight up replaced by Kojima.

We do realize that. And if Hayter was straight up replaced it's a crock. Imagine they remake MG1 and MG2 with somebody else as Solid Snake. It'd be the strangest thing to then have Hayter be Solid Snake in MGS1. I can understand replacing him for Big Boss but his Solid Snake voices is one of the most iconic voices in gaming. It just doesn't make sense for anyone else to be Solid Snake.

Edzi

We do realize that. And if Hayter was straight up replaced it's a crock. Imagine they remake MG1 and MG2 with somebody else as Solid Snake. It'd be the strangest thing to then have Hayter be Solid Snake in MGS1. I can understand replacing him for Big Boss but his Solid Snake voices is one of the most iconic voices in gaming. It just doesn't make sense for anyone else to be Solid Snake.

You're telling me. I wish I didn't care as much as I do, but this VA situation has had me really bummed about MGSV ever since I first heard about it. I'm obviously still going to get it down the line, but I don't expect it to ever be the same.

As far as this change extending to future iterations of Solid, I think someone mentioned earlier that Kiefer voiced Deja vu Snake, so that's probably a good indication that Kojima plans for Kiefer to be the new Snake going forward. :(

I actually felt like the VA was mixed at a lower volume. I had trouble hearing Kiefer, at least. I also felt he sounded a lot like Kaz, and I got mixed up a few times.

Overall I wasn't that impressed, but I do agree that Hayter was starting to really go out-of-bounds with the VA; I can see the logic behind wanting a separate actor for each character at this point.

If I can I may just play with Japanese VA/English subs for TPP. Can this be done on GZ? I know you can select languages, but I wasn't sure if that was just menu stuff or for VA.

kmax

Yeah. It doesn't mean much though. Akio Otsuka played Solidus in MGS2 while John Cygan played him in the english version, so the two aren't exactly comparable. If Solid's introduced again, as he will be if Kojima decides to remake MG1 and 2, then Hayter's pretty much given. That's his defining role.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
I was just trying out throwing magazines to knock guards out. I got discovered and it went into reflex mode right when I threw a magazine. It was slow motion the whole time the magazine was in the air. It hit him in the head and knocked him out, so everything went back to normal, lol.

cackhyena

I was just trying out throwing magazines to knock guards out. I got discovered and it went into reflex mode right when I threw a magazine. It was slow motion the whole time the magazine was in the air. It hit him in the head and knocked him out, so everything went back to normal, lol.

That's great, gonna have to try it out tonight.

depward

I felt like Kaz and Big Boss's voices sounded really similar in the beginning section... so much so that I was often finding myself confused as to who was talking.

Anyone else?

Reebot

I felt like Kaz and Big Boss's voices sounded really similar in the beginning section... so much so that I was often finding myself confused as to who was talking.

Anyone else?

Honestly, the quality of delivery sets them apart. Kaz's lines sound pretty good while Snake's are delivered with absolutely bizarre inflections and emphasis.

MormaPope

Banned
I believe Kiefer can too, which is why it is confusing that he hasn't with Big Boss.

So, what do you want exactly? A overly grizzled dude whose always asking a question or always snapping back with a boring wisecrack? Frankly the writing and voice actor are both at fault for that. Kiefer makes Big Boss seem like a human being, Hayter made Big Boss sound like a dude that got called into a sound booth and reprised his role for the ____ time. Whatever, its pointless to argue about this. My expectations for Kiefer were really low coming in, and he ended up making Big Boss seem more personal.

dcx4610

Really, really hating the Sutherland voice.

It would be like making a new Matrix movie and having someone other than Keanu play Neo or similar to Jackie Haley replacing Robert Englund as Freddy Krueger.

It doesn't feel or sound like Snake and ruins the experience. This is supposed to be the same guy we loved in MGS3. Instead, I feel no connection or emotion for him. He might as well be a new character because it isn't Big Boss/Snake to me.

I know Kojima said he wanted more emotion and to get away from the corny dialogue. That's fine and all but then you go and have guys like Skull Face...

Totally ruined.

Edzi

I know Kojima said he wanted more emotion.

I don't really understand Kojima's thought process here, if that's what he was going for. The emotional connection with BB was already made in MGS3, and by changing the voice like this I feel like that connection was severed.

Flo_Evans

Have I missed any?

besides the weapons you start with I have found:

FAL looking rifle from guards
1911 type pistol
shoulder fired surface to air rocket
shotgun
claymore
uzi
sniper rifle

cackhyena

I don't really understand Kojima's thought process here, if that's what he was going for. The emotional connection with BB was already made in MGS3, and by changing the voice like this I feel like that connection was severed.

I feel the opposite. Listening to some of these tapes, I already feel like BB sounds like more of a an actual person. It will always be hard to separate the fact that it's Sutherland with that distinct voice, but he's a decent actor, and knows how to deliver lines like Hayter couldn't...or wouldn't because of direction.

Alienous

It tooks me 25 minutes on Normal, I rescued three hostages, found one patch (actually I found Paz without searching for her, I was just exploring and bam, she was here), but man, this game is easy,

I never trigged an alarm, did some kills, used reflex mode two times...but the stealth part is a joke. Is simply too easy avoiding enemies, and they are very stupid too.

The "story",,,I think Kojima did wrong by releasing all those trailers, because excluding one or two scenes, trailers show you ALL.

I'm disappointed. I mean, I know this would be basically a demo, but I was thinking in a better twist in the end, with other cutscenes during gameplay but nope.

You're Big Boss, aren't you?

nillapuddin

Ya know how for years we wanted Hayter to play SS in a movie

I wonder if there is a light at the end of the tunnel for Kiefer to play BB in a movie

Danny 117

I've S ranked ground zeroes and didn't get the achievement for completing a mission with S ranking.

Also, I've completed 'rescue the intel operative' and 'classified intel acquisition' and haven't gotten the 'complete any side op' achievement.

What the hell?

The Flash

Banned
Would you guys say that GZ is a good way to introduce myself to the MGS series? I've never played a MGS game before but recognize that it's one of the greatest game franchises out there. As such I'd very much like to dive into the MGS series but am not sure where to start. I know next to nothing about MGS canon aside from the fact that GZ takes place in the past and that all the various Snakes are clones or something. I realize that GZ isn't a full-fledged game and that it's only $30 but I wanted to get your guys' opinions before buying it. Thanks for any info.

Sanke__

Is there some way to skip the video at the beginning after you have already watched it?

Also there doesn't seem to be a pause menu on ps4 to like quit or restart from checkpoint. How do I do that?

MormaPope

Banned
Just S ranked the Ground Zeroes mission, all hud elements turned off, no reflex mode, medium difficulty. 6 kills due to running out of tranq ammo, 0 alerts, all POWs rescued, completed in 45 minutes.

Love how the tranq pistol has been nerfed significantly. In past MGS games it took a long time for enemies to wake up from being tranqed, now there's a lot more risk involved with keeping someone alive versus killing them. Enemies waking up and fucking up your plans isn't a rare occurrence anymore. It makes sense gameplay wise to kill enemies rather then keep them alive.

Would you guys say that GZ is a good way to introduce myself to the MGS series? I've never played a MGS game before but recognize that it's one of the greatest game franchises out there. As such I'd very much like to dive into the MGS series but am not sure where to start. I know next to nothing about MGS canon aside from the fact that GZ takes place in the past and that all the various Snakes are clones or something. I realize that GZ isn't a full-fledged game and that it's only $30 but I wanted to get your guys' opinions before buying it. Thanks for any info.
If you have a ps3 or 360 I recommended the HD collection first. To understand this game best all you really need is peace walker but to get a much better understanding for big boss it'd best to play mgs3. Its worth it.

You're telling me. I wish I didn't care as much as I do, but this VA situation has had me really bummed about MGSV ever since I first heard about it. I'm obviously still going to get it down the line, but I don't expect it to ever be the same.

As far as this change extending to future iterations of Solid, I think someone mentioned earlier that Kiefer voiced Deja vu Snake, so that's probably a good indication that Kojima plans for Kiefer to be the new Snake going forward. :(
Well in terms of the Deja Vu mission it's really about Boss and Kaz. You have Kaz on the radio doing impressions of the MGS1 characters even the female ones, so the "flashback audio" isn't representative of what it would be like if they went back and redid MGS1 thank god.

All the petitions and fan campaigns for Hayter to return as Big Boss were a lost cause the minute they hired Sutherland to play him, what fans should have focused on instead is trying to convince Konami that we'll be upset if Solid Snake returns and it's not Hayter before Kojima goes and makes any stupid decisions about that, as that is still up in the air and the fans could actually still have some influence there. There's no reason that we couldn't have the best of both worlds, Kiefer as Big Boss and Hayter as Solid... except for stubbornness on Konami and Kojima's parts.

I also doubt they'll be able to hire someone as expensive as Kiefer for spinoff appearances and the like if they got him for Solid Snake too, so their best option is for Hayter to reprise or if too many bridges have been burnt to hire a regular voice actor. I really hope for the former scenario. One thing is for sure Solid Snake is gonna reappear at some point... he's too iconic of a character not to return in the actual storyline or some kind of spinoff appearance down the road.

MormaPope

Banned
If you have a ps3 or 360 I recommended the HD collection first. To understand this game best all you really need is peace walker but to get a much better understanding for big boss it'd best to play mgs3. Its worth it.

The HD collection is probably my most valued game. So much content(Substance edition and the first two Metal Gears), the best MGS's (MGS2&MGS3).

Top Bottom