• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes |OT| Kaz, I'm already a demo

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Meh

As far as the Hayter/Sutherland debates goes, I agree that Hayter's voice acting had declined greatly since MGS1 and 2 but that doesn't make Kiefer's performance in Ground Zeroes good. It's honestly just a different kind of bad and at least in my view, if you weren't going to get a superior voice actor in there, you may as well have just kept David Hayter for continuity's sake.

Flo_Evans

???

Am waiting on $10, but was planning on disabling all of that stuff.

It seems well balanced for these gameplay additions. Enemies are more aggressive with searching and fighting you. They go from "!" to firing and calling for backup much faster than previous games.

Which reminds me, I forgot to try and shoot a guys radio out. Does this still work?

Loxley

Quick question about the side mission where you
have to find the inside agent and then get the cassette tape in the watch tower
; is it possible to
grab the tape and then not have the whole compound go ape-shit? My second time around I just killed the informant after he gave me in the information since I figured with him dead, he couldn't run and give me up. Still got caught :(

Another issue that needs fixing: When lying prone on the edge of a roof, it's difficult to draw your weapon and shoot an enemy. In MGS4, I remember Snake was capable of leaning his body over a ledge for more precise aiming. I tried several times to headshot guards with a tranq, but the reticle can't seem to make up its mind where it wants to aim when you're lying prone.

aka_bueno

I remember loving MGS4, and remember loving watching my older brother play through MGS2 when it first came out (though I don't remember much of the story). I tried playing MGS3 on Vita recently, in anticipation of this and just couldn't get into the older gameplay, felt way too clunky and cumbersome. I got about 25% in before giving up lol.

So I watched all the cutscenes on youtube the past few days, it was like 5 hours total my god!

Anywho, what else should I watch after MGS3 before jumping into this?

Weird, I found GZ to be one of the harder MGS games. That might be because I tried to be stealthy and not get caught too much all the while turning off hand holding features (like reaction and tagging).

You don't need either at all. If you turn them off then the game plays like regular MGS for the most part.

Gameplay spoiler:
And enemies are marked on the map anyway, making tagging even less necessary.

MormaPope

Banned
Just finished this game. And all I can say is what a massive disappointment. Final playtime was 52 minutes... and I did explore a bit on the way to the targets.

But its not the playtime that disappoints me. The stealth is just not that good. MGS4 started in the TPS direction and this game is basically a TPS. i tried to stealth but its just not that great to sneak around anymore (can't knock on doors, peek around even, cardboads etc) so if i got caught I just started killing everyone and it was pretty easy to just play it as a TPS.

And then there is the other stupid changes like regen health which makes playing it like any TPS super easy, ONLY 2 weapons, no codec and Kiefer is NOT Snake (Even though he had like 5 lines).

It seems to me like Kojima just pandered to all these western journalists who don't even care about mgs games and made this a TPS to appease those people. I have basically zero hope for TPP now especially if its anything like this game. A real waste of $30.

MGS GZ: The worst MGS game

Charlie-Murphy-Laughing-Chappelles-Show-Prince.gif

Turn off all the visual aides such as detection indicator, damage indicator. Turn off reflex mode, play on hard difficulty. Playing MGS 1-4 is a cake walk, Ground Zeroes on medium is a lot tougher than any other MGS on medium. Ground Zeroes is both accessible and challenging, depends on how you want to play. The "Kojima wants to appeal to western journalists" line is priceless. Yup, that's why plenty of MGS veterans are having a blast, you sure nailed Ground Zeroes dude.

The game is definitively harder and than ever when it comes to stealth. Reminds me of MGS3 mostly. Most other games in the series relied on pretty unrealistic mechanics to render stealth easy. You had radar, camo, lotsa stuff to blend in and be hard to spot. In this one, you gottta take it very slow, study enemy patters , stick to cover, plan your move once you figure out enemy routes and such, take out enemies in areas where they can spot you (search towers, etc).

Quick question about the side mission where you
have to find the inside agent and then get the cassette tape in the watch tower
; is it possible to
grab the tape and then not have the whole compound go ape-shit? My second time around I just killed the informant after he gave me in the information since I figured with him dead, he couldn't run and give me up. Still got caught :(

There is a surveillance camera inside of the room of the tower where you retrieve the tape. Shoot out the camera before entering.

I think because it's so raw in comparison to the other games, it feels like it's more stealth-based. You are in an open world with no transitions, you are bare and out in the open, so it takes creeping in the shadows but without the reliance on jumping in a locker, despite how cool that was.

I've been using things like empty magazines and more clever methods rather than running past them.

Agreed. It feels more natural and dynamic, rather than just pre-determined "hide here".

Just finished this game. And all I can say is what a massive disappointment. Final playtime was 52 minutes... and I did explore a bit on the way to the targets.

But its not the playtime that disappoints me. The stealth is just not that good. MGS4 started in the TPS direction and this game is basically a TPS. i tried to stealth but its just not that great to sneak around anymore (can't knock on doors, peek around even, cardboads etc) so if i got caught I just started killing everyone and it was pretty easy to just play it as a TPS.

And then there is the other stupid changes like regen health which makes playing it like any TPS super easy, ONLY 2 weapons, no codec and Kiefer is NOT Snake (Even though he had like 5 lines).

It seems to me like Kojima just pandered to all these western journalists who don't even care about mgs games and made this a TPS to appease those people. I have basically zero hope for TPP now especially if its anything like this game. A real waste of $30.

I could not disagree more. The stealth in this feels right. The enemies are just much more aggressive, so you need to, you know, sneak around more and use the tools like tagging often.

bidguy

Banned
???

i did and im doing fine

needs to be a bit harder though, enemies should be able to spot you from far distances or alert the base once they find a body

edit : or hear you at least, the footsteps are freaking loud but they dont react. and make their fov wider while youre at it konami

Roto13

I remember loving MGS4, and remember loving watching my older brother play through MGS2 when it first came out (though I don't remember much of the story). I tried playing MGS3 on Vita recently, in anticipation of this and just couldn't get into the older gameplay, felt way too clunky and cumbersome. I got about 25% in before giving up lol.

So I watched all the cutscenes on youtube the past few days, it was like 5 hours total my god!

Anywho, what else should I watch after MGS3 before jumping into this?

Peace Walker, though Ground Zeroes includes a written summary of it.

Stealth is easily the most difficult it has ever been in MGS. The guards are like fucking hawks, even on normal with all the aids turned on.

Definitely need to get more accustomed to it.

Another issue that needs fixing: When lying prone on the edge of a roof, it's difficult to draw your weapon and shoot an enemy. In MGS4, I remember Snake was capable of leaning his body over a ledge for more precise aiming. I tried several times to headshot guards with a tranq, but the reticle can't seem to make up its mind where it wants to aim when you're lying prone.

Cant you just go in to first person mode? They took it out didn't they?

Stealth is easily the most difficult it has ever been in MGS. The guards are like fucking hawks, even on normal with all the aids turned on.

Definitely need to get more accustomed to it.

Their visual range is much improved as well. I'll be 30 feet away up in a tower or on a cliff, and someone down in the ground will spot me

EekTheKat

Regarding Stealth :

You can in fact peek around the corner
hold R3
. You just have to make sure you're in the corner "stance" to get it to work - it's a bit different since the cover mechanic is non sticky and a slight move in the wrong direction can take you off the wall.

The binoculars do not work very well while peeking around corners though. The binocular camera doesn't start from the peek position, so often you'll stare at a wall while looking through it. Not sure if it's a bug or just a limitation set as part of the gameplay, though more than likely it's because there's probably no animation in place for BB to peek a little around a corner while using binoculars.

The old corner toss animation is still there too. Instead of knocking to attract guards I just toss a clip at the location where I want the guards to go.

I found myself missing somesort of crouch sprint, but the quick dive into cover is an acceptable.

Muffdraul

GZ confirms once and for all that MGS has truly jumped the shark for me. I couldn't get into PW at all, but I let it slide, "Hey, it's just a handheld... I'll withhold judgement until the next 'real' MGS on consoles." But this is virutally Peace Walker 2, so I just can't connect. Couldn't care less about the story or characters. Cannot STAND to hear Robin Atkin Downes in one more fucking game, sweet Jesus he's the most insufferably generic and vapid voice actor in history. I'm actually OK with Sutherland, but I actually would have preferred it if they let Richard Doyle step up to the plate. If only for consistency's sake.

~BUT~

I agree with everyone saying this is some of the best MGS game play in the history of the franchise. It took me much longer than I expected to finish the main mission my first time, and I immediately wanted to replay it... not even interested in trying the submissions yet, not til I feel like I've mastered the main one. I'll hold on to a small hope that Phantom Pain moves the story along and doesn't feel so wrapped up in Peace Walker shit. Then maybe I could get back on board the bandwagon.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Their visual range is much improved as well. I'll be 30 feet away up in a tower or on a cliff, and someone down in the ground will spot me

Yeah, I'm still not used to how far guards can see compared to previous games. I tried it playing it like the old games where by the time a guard spots you, you've already broken their neck. Needless to say I got murdered.

bidguy

Banned
Yeah, I'm still not used to how far guards can see compared to previous games. I tried it playing it like the old games where by the time a guard spots you, you've already broken their neck. Needless to say I got murdered.

i disagree, they cant see that far at all

was dragging the body of an enemy around while another was walking down the hill where the prison thingy is and i didnt get spotted.

id really love a stealth game where enemies can see as far as normal people.

maybe its different on hard i dont know

cackhyena

Jasmine-Has-Those-Didney-Worl-Eyes.gif

kurbaan

Banned
Charlie-Murphy-Laughing-Chappelles-Show-Prince.gif

Turn off all the visual aides such as detection indicator, damage indicator. Turn off reflex mode, play on hard difficulty. Playing MGS 1-4 is a cake walk, Ground Zeroes on medium is a lot tougher than any other MGS on medium. Ground Zeroes is both accessible and challenging, depends on how you want to play. The "Kojima wants to appeal to western journalists" line is priceless. Yup, that's why plenty of MGS veterans are having a blast, you sure nailed Ground Zeroes dude.

All those things don't really address the base problem. This kind of Stealth has already been done and better in Splinter Cell. In this game its just easier to straight up TPS the game and more fun.

EekTheKat

This is from my playing around on normal :

While vision cones seem to extend farther, range still plays a big factor in how quickly a guard goes into alert.

Getting spotted at a distance on normal at least doesn't seem to be immediate - the warning arc gives you plenty of time to hide on normal. Game is actually kind of generous that way. At a distance it sometimes triggers an investigation - guard will radio in a "I saw someone suspicious over there, I'll check it out", and not an immediate alarm.

Blindly jumping off of a watchtower and landing right in front of a guard however, will trigger an alert immediately.

I think what may actually also come into play here is day/night cycles, and maybe even weather affecting guard visibility.

I suspect on hard or above, these values change pretty drastically.

All those things don't really address the base problem. This kind of Stealth has already been done and better in Splinter Cell. In this game its just easier to straight up TPS the game and more fun.

The base problem that you've never played a MGS game before? I mean, anyone who thinks they can't "TPS" any of the older games hasn't touched them.

Roto13

The base problem that you've never played a MGS game before? I mean, anyone who thinks they can't "TPS" any of the older games hasn't touched them.

Really. I find it MUCH harder to get through Ground Zeroes by shooting people than I ever did in any of the previous games. Except maybe MGS1.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
I can't connect, it gives me this code 10003, is this happening to anyone else?

RetroMG

Just finished a second playthrough, getting all the XOF patches. Had way more fun now that I'm accustomed to the controls, playing on PS4. Kiefer is growing on me. The scene with Chico in the helicopter, at the end, I felt like he was managing to capture Big Boss.

The credits on this game are stupid long, though.

Erban1

They really need to make taking cover require a button press. The auto cover just does not work well at all.

Actually from the time I've played the cover system is set up in a way that you have to make deliberate moves to snap to cover...you can't walk up to cover and expect snake to snap to it. Playing around with it yesterday it seemed like an additional or extended press towards cover always made snake snap to it.

I haven't had any issues snapping to cover or shimmying along a wall either.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Peace Walker spoilers: Listen to this and tell me that he doesn't butcher this entire moment.

Anyway, Hayter was always better playing the smarmy detached special ops soldier. That's the role he auditioned for, and got the job. The character of Big Boss, a different character, was handed to him. He's delivery doesn't evoke the charisma needed for Big Boss, like Doyle and Sutherland's does.

The only thing I recall is him flirting with the ladies over codec...lol. Obviously there must have been something to get people to join him in MSF. I just don't see it portrayed well in the games...just like SS he seems pretty detached, cold, etc. towards people. Maybe it really is just Hayter's voice.

Cant you just go in to first person mode? They took it out didn't they?

It still doesn't solve the problem. Once you go into first person view, the roof blockades your view. There is some kind of unaddressed action necessary for aiming off of a ledge that just isn't present in Ground Zeroes. When you crawl toward a ledge, it's like you're hitting an invisible forcefield.

Betty

Banned
Just finished a second playthrough, getting all the XOF patches. Had way more fun now that I'm accustomed to the controls, playing on PS4. Kiefer is growing on me. The scene with Chico in the helicopter, at the end, I felt like he was managing to capture Big Boss.

The credits on this game are stupid long, though.

You can keep skipping everything by clicking the left side of the touchpad.

Morts

I didn't realize calling the helicopter was a thing, so
when I was bringing Paz back to the landing zone by the water where I had hidden Chico some marines were radioing HQ saying they found the kid and asking what to do. At first I couldn't take them out fast enough before they got instructions back to kill him.
I assume that you're expected to
put him on the helicopter before you go searching for Paz?

MormaPope

Banned

Splinter Cell has open world level design with vehicles with hostage rescuing mechanics with a helicopter?

On medium diffculty in past MGS games you can gun down rooms by brute force to reach the next destination. You played Ground Zeroes as if it was your first Metal Gear Solid game, tweaking the settings will make the game a lot more challenging and more satisfying. Gunning down everyone in Ground Zeroes will also net you a D rating I assume. One of the best things about past MGS games are the ranking systems in place.

Splinter Cell doesn't have as varied AI when it comes to search patterns, reasons for searching, and sightlines. The combat in past Splinter Cells besides Blacklist and Conviction were ass, Ground Zeroes is still highly enjoyable when played like a action game at least.

I didn't realize calling the helicopter was a thing, so
when I was bringing Paz back to the landing zone by the water where I had hidden Chico some marines were radioing HQ saying they found the kid and asking what to do. At first I couldn't take them out fast enough before they got instructions back to kill him.
I assume that you're expected to
put him on the helicopter before you go searching for Paz?

I thought the game was forcing me to do so, and I did just to be safe.

Damn, I didn't know it was possible. Dat technology.

Top Bottom