• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes |OT| Kaz, I'm already a demo

So does getting an S rank only require 0 alerts and 0 kills?

Or does completion time play a role in it?

Edit: by the way, this game sounds amazing on the Sony Wireless Gold Headset. It's not as awesome as Battlefield 4, but it's definitely better than Killzone. So good

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
So does getting an S rank only require 0 alerts and 0 kills?

Or does completion time play a role in it?

Edit: by the way, this game sounds amazing on the Sony Wireless Gold Headset. It's not as awesome as Battlefield 4, but it's definitely better than Killzone. So good

It's a mixture of both. In fact, you can get some kills, some checkpoints usage and still get an S-Rank.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Ah, thanks.

Note: This doesn't mean go save all the hostages for a huge bonus and a guarantee that you'll get an S-rank. But the hostage saving does give you a bonus along with no reflex, no alert/kills, etc. that time and retries eat into along with alerts.

Trike

So, what do you want exactly? A overly grizzled dude whose always asking a question or always snapping back with a boring wisecrack? Frankly the writing and voice actor are both at fault for that. Kiefer makes Big Boss seem like a human being, Hayter made Big Boss sound like a dude that got called into a sound booth and reprised his role for the ____ time. Whatever, its pointless to argue about this. My expectations for Kiefer were really low coming in, and he ended up making Big Boss seem more personal.

Yes, the writing has had and will continue to have silly moments. From what I see, most of the criticism of Hayter comes from MGS4/PW and both games are heavily criticized.

What do I want? Either Hayter at the top of his game, which I believe can be accomplished, or someone who actually sounds like they could be Big Boss. Kiefer doesn't seem like he is trying. Kiefer makes Big Boss sound human, yes, but like a human who is just reading lines. Everyone else is playing a character in Metal Gear Solid, and Big Boss just seems off from everyone else. Kaz/Huey just sound ridiculous when you put them next to Kiefer. Plus now we have three very different voice actors for Big Boss.

SJRB

Gold Member
Still thoroughly enjoying it. Been playing the Ground Zeroes mission for about 2.5 hours now, just rescueing prisoners, interrogating enemies to find tape locations, stuff like that. Skipped all the optional stuff when I first played it yesterday, but taking my sweet time this run.

Awesome game. Still frequently get spotted, I'm still not used to the large distance enemies can spot you but fortunately the game is very lenient in terms of dodging/taking cover when spotted before an enemy goes in alert mode. It's really a whole new level of stealth.

I know that the locations of enemy is no predictable, though their starting mission point is always the same.

Are the weapons for every mission in different locations? For example, Mission A: room with C4 may have something else in Mission B? I'm wondering because I'll start remembering where everything is to try and improve my runtime.

Muffdraul

No, but a new uzi with an already mounted one. The silenced rifle too.

And I eventually figured out that you can un-equip suppressors by holding the weapon select window open and pressing Square. And you can switch off flashlights either by clicking right on the d-pad, or holding the weapon select window open and pressing O.

And I eventually figured out that you can un-equip suppressors by holding the weapon select window open and pressing Square. And you can switch off flashlights either by clicking right on the d-pad, or holding the weapon select window open and pressing O.

You mean triangle?

sooo CQC takes into account your environment...I was beating the shit out of a guy and all of a sudden Big Boss sparta kicks him into the concrete road block behind him as a finisher. holy shit o_O

Loxley

Messing around in one of the side missions, I found the
gun that's basically a shotgun pistol that stuns enemies (I forget what it's called exactly).
Man that thing is fun to use.

MormaPope

Banned
I'm guessing speed + no alerts is the most important thing to getting S rank?

The POWs being rescued gives a 20,000 point boost, not getting any alerts gives a 5-6 thousand point boost. One of my runs I got 53,000 points, got a A ranking. My S rank run was 58,000 points. I think the ranks are strictly determined by the point value.

I keep telling myself to get the Legacy. But is it over kill? I already own and never finished 4. Does the first two MG and first MGS contain alot of foundation?

The first two Metal Gears come with the Subsistence version of MGS3. The HD collection version of MGS3 has Metal Gear 1&2. They aren't that essential, but they're neat games to try or to play through. If you've never played MGS1, that's worth downloading or buying outright. MGS4 in the legacy edition I believe is the trophy version, forgot if that was patched in or its on disc only.

The Legacy Edition is neat if you want every mainline Metal Gear in one whole package, but you might be able to save money if you purchase the HD collection and then download MGS1 on PSN. HD collection is around $30 in most places/online and MGS1 is a $10 download. MGS1 in the legacy edition is a download code anyway.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Looks like it might be, at least for the moment. It only happened in the last couple of weeks.
Damn, I almost bought that about a year ago.

Well, I'm looking more for getting the Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake. But, only if it includes the anime portraits like the one of Holly below.

OEOz4d6.gif

If it's the other, more "realistic" ugly portraits, I'll pass.

MormaPope

Banned

Well, I'm looking more for getting the Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake. But, only if it includes the anime portraits like the one of Holly below.

OEOz4d6.gif

The version you want is in the HD version of MGS3 and Subsistence.

potam

Banned
This game should have really had a random mission generator. Random objective (find a random cassette, evac a random target, kill a random guy, interrogate a random guy), random time of day, and random weather. Sooooo gooooooooood.

AlexIIDX

Am I supposed to call in the chopper once to save everyone or multiple times? Doesn't that count as an alert each time? I was trying to load everyone into the chopper at once and was getting lit up.

Loxley

OEOz4d6.gif

I just checked, it's actually still available on Best Buy's website for $49.99, so that's an option.

This game should have really had a random mission generator. Random objective (find a random cassette, evac a random target, kill a random guy, interrogate a random guy), random time of day, and random weather. Sooooo gooooooooood.
This game would be worth 60 if there was a mission creator that you can share with people. I can only imagine.

Sanjuro

Yikes, that was short.

It was impressive from a technical standpoint. I'm really glad they finally ditched Hayter for an actor that doesn't come across as goofy.

It seems more..."grounded" than MGS2, which I liked a great deal. Mild absurdity is fine.

Maybe I should finally play the fourth game? I really have no idea why I'm playing as Big Boss again.

SJRB

Gold Member
So, how do you throw empty magazines ?

Press right on the d-pad, select empty magazines with the right analog stick to equip them. Aim with L2 and throw with R2 [or whatever the draw weapon and fire weapon buttons are on your setup].

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Nobody still hasn't spoilered the Chico tape locations? *sigh*

potam

Banned
This game would be worth 60 if there was a mission creator that you can share with people. I can only imagine.

or co-op missions. Imagine playing with a friend, and then splitting up once inside the camp. One can create a distraction while the other kills the target. Kojima pls

cj_iwakura

Yikes, that was short.

It was impressive from a technical standpoint. I'm really glad they finally ditched Hayter for an actor that doesn't come across as goofy.

It seems more..."grounded" than MGS2, which I liked a great deal. Mild absurdity is fine.

Maybe I should finally play the fourth game? I really have no idea why I'm playing as Big Boss again.

You should play Peace Walker. It's really good.

And I vastly prefer PW as a lead in to MG1.

or co-op missions. Imagine playing with a friend, and then splitting up once inside the camp. One can create a distraction while the other kills the target. Kojima pls
My god phantom pain will be game of forever if they bring back co-op. It made peace walker twice as fun. With the way the game is set up now it would be amazing with a situation like you just used as example.

Man the side-ops are better than the main mission, kinda funny because I said I was never going to mess with that crap.
Ran Deja Vu 5 times already alone.

If Kojima just fixed the voice I would be so damn hyped for TPP now.

just picked this up for ps4. traded in dead rising 3 for this and gamestop ended up owing me 71 cents. i paid nothing haha. won't be able to get to it for a bit. i hope i enjoy it. i'm not the biggest metal gear fan.

Sanjuro

You should play Peace Walker. It's really good.

And I vastly prefer PW as a lead in to MG1.

I remember buying it for another GAFer who wanted the bundle overseas. I bought a ton of PSPs, never kept one by the time that rolled around.

So, I skipped PSP MGS variants and MGS4.

Game Boy Color MGS is still GOAT.

Just hooked my phone up to try and see how the iDroid thing preforms I do think it's cool that I can listen to the cassettes from my phone.

Sami+

Aww, I'm playing as Big Boss in Deja Vu? Do I have to beat it on normal to unlock Snake?

Also can someone please help me with the "two lights and a box"? I found the scene
(right next to the chopper)
, but can't seem to activate it.

Never mind, got it.

Me to. The phantom pain red band trailer shows a completely different side of him compared to ground zeroes. He is pissed.
This must be how he loses the Peace (The "Kazuhira") and becomes the Master Miller that we... DON'T know and only think we know. >_>

Damn, I thought I had a point there. But damn, can't wait for the turn.

I vastly preferred Miller, by the way. Far more interesting character than BB.

I still don't get him though
after the secret tape
in Peace Walker Then supposedly what happens here and TPP somehow leads to
him calling Big Boss a monster in the original MGs and working for Zero still/again

Top Bottom