• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes |OT| Kaz, I'm already a demo

Sutherland completely ruined this for me. I seriously hope they allow us to switch to Japanese voices in the the Phantom Pain.

I am actually enjoying the gameplay part of Metal Gear, though. This is something I never thought I would say as a huge MGS fan.

Xevren

Oh man, hard mode is the shit. Have to be really careful due to how much better their vision is. Point thresholds for higher grades seem to be higher. Had one friggin reflex that stopped my perfect hard run :(

Chabbles

Is there a way to tactically open and close doors or is it just move away / slam open?

Yeah thats annoying, you have to walk into them real slow to open then slowly.

Something else thats annoying, even more so is how i couldnt drop the body i was carrying over a waist high fence to take a short cut... i wanted to cut through an area to get to extraction quicker and more conveniently, but ended up having to walk the whole way around the fence through a spot light guarded area, instead of easily dropping the body over the fence, jumping over, picking it back up and carrying on.

Yeah I figured that
only the mainline games count. Can't seem to find Metal Gear 1, though...

If you find Johnny, look up.

S ranking the Intel Operative Rescue on hard was tense as hell lmao, I wanted 0 kills but I ended up with 3 anyways due to certain mishaps.

How in the hell can you not get any kills on that mission? To hit them with the KO gun you have to get in close, and by that time you / the chopper's all shot to shit. Not to mention trying to line up shots while the game constantly screws with your aim.

Is there a way to tactically open and close doors or is it just move away / slam open?

Move slowly.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Good lord, that was short.

As expected, it sounds like Jake Bauer is playacting Snake. Just awful what they've done to the character.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Yea that's what I did. No dice . maybe I'll have to do it over again. I know I collected that patch before by accident yesterday.

YOU DON'T NEED TO COLLECT IT AGAIN

ONE PLAYTHOUGH IS NOT NEEDED DESPITE WHAT THE ENTIRE INTERNET SAYS!!!!!!

I know this for a fact because I got one XOF in Ground Zeroes, replayed and got the rest and got the Deja Vu mission, if that's what you're going for.

If you checkpointed after collecting it, it's saved. Mission doesn't have to be finished or anything. It'll be saved to your savefile.

Some of the new gameplay options(like vehicles)is making me rethink how past games could have benefited from this.
Riding around in the APC got me thinking how Drebin's APC could have been an amazing gameplay section in MGS4.
Or covering Raiden from the helicopter (in MGS2 and 4) with the gameplay of that one side-op

MG1 and MG2 redone in TPP and I would die.

Imm0rt4l

YOU DON'T NEED TO COLLECT IT AGAIN

ONE PLAYTHOUGH IS NOT NEEDED DESPITE WHAT THE ENTIRE INTERNET SAYS!!!!!!

I know this for a fact because I got one XOF in Ground Zeroes, replayed and got the rest and got the Deja Vu mission, if that's what you're going for.

If you checkpointed after collecting it, it's saved. Mission doesn't have to be finished or anything. It'll be saved to your savefile.

Ah, ok Thanks!

grimmiq

Awesome, went into EB today having not stopped by in a while..delayed til the 27th >< Being my BDay I was a bit pissed..Atleast it gave me motivation to finally set up a US PSN account...Hopefully I didn't screw it up and it works fine, downloading now. If it all works fine I'll be going back tomorrow and cancelling all my outstanding pre-orders and go US digital only.

Ran Ran

Some of the new gameplay options(like vehicles)is making me rethink how past games could have benefited from this.
Riding around in the APC got me thinking how Drebin's APC could have been an amazing gameplay section in MGS4.
Or covering Raiden from the helicopter (in MGS2 and 4) with the gameplay of that one side-op

The tank is pretty fun

je_ssi e

Good lord, that was short.

As expected, it sounds like Jake Bauer is playacting Snake. Just awful what they've done to the character.
Yah, I still can't get used to this.
It's just not.. it sounds so off. No oomph.

I really liked Kiefer in WaW. He has a great voice, but.. he just doesn't do this character for me. I'm going to miss Hayter in TPP. I really am.

malfcn

When is TPP supposed to be out? In 1 year? If so will this be included for $60 hiked to say, $80?

The first two Metal Gears come with the Subsistence version of MGS3. The HD collection version of MGS3 has Metal Gear 1&2. They aren't that essential, but they're neat games to try or to play through. If you've never played MGS1, that's worth downloading or buying outright. MGS4 in the legacy edition I believe is the trophy version, forgot if that was patched in or its on disc only.

The Legacy Edition is neat if you want every mainline Metal Gear in one whole package, but you might be able to save money if you purchase the HD collection and then download MGS1 on PSN. HD collection is around $30 in most places/online and MGS1 is a $10 download. MGS1 in the legacy edition is a download code anyway.

I also have a copy of Revengeance. The game seems up for canonical debate..play it anytime?

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Yeah I would totally rather play in Japanese than listen to Jack Bauer. I like Kiefer but he sounds like Kiefer, not Big Boss. Import time!

It would be amazing if each location in TPP has side ops after beating the story mission like GZ. Like a mind blowing amount of replayability awesome.

I don't get why people are upset about the slo-mo couple of seconds before a guard throws up a full alert. Every time it happens, I end up with a full alert anyway. I'll shoot the guy in the head multiple times with the tranq gun and he'll still be awake long enough to call for backup.

I don't get why people are upset about the slo-mo couple of seconds before a guard throws up a full alert. Every time it happens, I end up with a full alert anyway. I'll shoot the guy in the head multiple times with the tranq gun and he'll still be awake long enough to call for backup.

I think its good. If I'm getting caught out in the open its because I'm saving my tranqs or I'm out anyway, so its not without penalty

hypernima

Banned
I forgot how boring it is to play MGS solo.
I mean I can play it solo and have fun but I've traditionally have played this series as a team with a friend.
Marathoning MGS2 is one of my fondest memories, but I don't have anyone around willing to play 2 much less 6 hours of MGS.

MormaPope

Banned
From what I've seen, reflex mode breaks the game somewhat. Plus things are a lot more tense when a fuck up means there'll be hefty consequences.

On a different note, I expect pounds of salt when/if Ground Zeroes is on GOTY lists.

I also have a copy of Revengeance. The game seems up for canonical debate..play it anytime?

Won't matter when you play it, its basically a adventure in the world of Metal Gear, rather than being a continuation of past stories in the Metal Gear universe.

Returners

What's the score required for S rank in main mission on normal?

I like how for the admin building
if you neutralize all guards near the building and then turn the power off before rescuing Paz, they won't go and turn it back on after the shift change.

if you neutralize all guards near the building and then turn the power off before rescuing Paz, they won't go and turn it back on after the shift change.

My favorite thing was finding out that I could
tranquilize the guards that come in after I free Paz and thus avoid anybody finding out that she's gone

Xevren

I want to say 55k for normal. Could be wrong though.

npa189

I am now starting to feel like I would have been better off without playing GZ. I was set for the wait for TPP, but now I just want it so bad, and it is so far away. At least a year, god damn it... I still need to finish some side ops and Deja Vu, but camp Omega already feels stale to me, I'd just love to run out of it and play MGS5.

ButchCat

If you find Johnny, look up.

How in the hell can you not get any kills on that mission? To hit them with the KO gun you have to get in close, and by that time you / the chopper's all shot to shit. Not to mention trying to line up shots while the game constantly screws with your aim.

Move slowly.

I failed twice before getting an S rank for that one on normal. I am curious to see by how much will the difficulty spike lower that rank.

Artex

Banned
This game is incredibly fun to play and to strategize. I have sunk almost 6 hours into it already and just can't stop. I hope TPP has this much side content for each area; its insane.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
How much score do you need to get an S-Rank on the Renegade Threat mission? I made it with 44000-ish, no alerts, the respective two kills and still got an A-rank

MilkBeard

I started playing the game today. Really impressed with the overal graphical presentation. It was nice seeing that intro sequence in full 1080p/60 on PS4. Really great direction.

I was almost starting to feel overwhelmed, because I sat there and read all of the quick tips that you can cycle through before starting the game. But when I got too it, it felt easy and intuitive enough. I really like the gameplay so far, there are a lot of options you can do. You can take it any way you want, although getting caught is damned near game over. Pretty cool actually, as it raises the stakes of stealth gameplay. A lot of games will simply have the enemies go back to their normal routine even after fully spotting you if you wait. Not this game, ha ha.

Anyway, this was my first real Metal Gear experience and I like it quite a bit. Can't wait till Phantom Pain comes. It's gonna be great.

viveks86

I don't think it's that unfair. This experience is so brief, and they are charging so much, that I think it's reasonable for some people to say "no way'.

I find review scores arbitrary as it is. When reviewers let a single aspect of the game bias their overall score, I find it even more arbitrary. Why 2.5? Why not 1.5,1, 0 or negative infinity? If you want to give a truly fair score, follow a system and stick to it. The system itself might be arbitrary, but at least it's consistent across games. It helps readers make sense of the number, in context of past scores. Otherwise, the number has no meaning. In that case, you are better off not giving a score altogether and just listing pros and cons.

It's a long never ending debate with valid points on both sides. But this is where I stand on this topic :)

Fjordson

Yah, I still can't get used to this.
It's just not.. it sounds so off. No oomph.

I really liked Kiefer in WaW. He has a great voice, but.. he just doesn't do this character for me. I'm going to miss Hayter in TPP. I really am.
Kiefer was brought in for Big Boss because Hayter will be Solid Snake when they meet up after a time jump in TPP.

If I could judge it on its own then I probably would have no problem with Kiefer's voice. But my brain won't let me, there's too much history with Hayter. It just sounds wrong to me and not like Big Boss.

MormaPope

Banned
Is there a way to get out of
that building at the end with Paz
without being detected?

Doods EVERYWHERE!

I made a extremely simple map for the best extraction route for Paz.

pazextarction_zpsc0075a5c.png

I accidentally used pink instead of a red line, but the pathing is meant to be the same. Find the door where its a camera straight ahead and a staircase, get Paz, go back up the staircase and backtrack to the insertion area. Carefully sneak towards the supply truck entrance and make your way towards the power box area. Head into the power area, turn off the power to the area, wait for the escape door guard to check on the situation. Tranq/kill/sneak that guard and escape through the door. You are now far enough from the APC to sneak around it.

Best method to get Paz out, was able to get a S rank with this method.

Holiday

Banned
Just finished the main mission. I am so ready for the full game. I will get several hours' entertainment out of running around this base and CQCing fools left and right.

There's definitely something wrong with my Xbox One version. Now I completed the intel acquisition mission in the back of a truck and got no achievement. Anyone else having these issues?

not the same achievement but the completing a side op achievement did not unlock for me.

Nemesis_

Just wondering if anyone could shed some light on what the console exclusive missions are? And if they are dealbreakers or not? I'm tempted to get the PS4 version for the technical advantages it has over the Xbox One version but then the Raiden mission sounds quite good.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost

I was abusing the snap aim feature, basically getting the reticule as close to the enemy body as possible then spamming L1 so it would lock on, a whole bunch though were "skill shots", my 3 kills were the guy on the AA gun (i have no idea how the hell you're supposed to not kill him), the APC towards the end (i think this counts as a kill?) and one guy who was collateral damage.

Top Bottom