• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes |OT| Kaz, I'm already a demo

...Everyone else is playing a character in Metal Gear Solid, and Big Boss just seems off from everyone else. Kaz/Huey just sound ridiculous when you put them next to Kiefer. Plus now we have three very different voice actors for Big Boss.

I was saying EXACTLY the same thing to my coworker today!

It just sounds bizarre now having this cast of anime/VG actors reading lines with Sutherland, especially Chico and Huey lol

Why does this game launch a day later in UK/Ireland compared to the rest of Europe? It's bad enough we still get games later than America but now later than mainland europe too? Bullshit. I wanna play

Are there any comparisons that focus specifically on the ps3 vs 360 versions and not include the ps4 vs xbox one. Anyone here know which is the better version between ps3 and 360.

braves01

Banned
I was saying EXACTLY the same thing to my coworker today!

It just sounds bizarre now having this cast of anime/VG actors reading lines with Sutherland, especially Chico and Huey lol

Chico sounded okay, I thought. Same with Paz. Pretty good, actually, considering what the voice actors had to portray compared to what was in PW.

It'll be interesting to see if Christopher Randolph can pull off a serious reading though, lol. I wonder what he'll have to say when Huey inevitably pisses his pants.

Spaghetti

Why does this game launch a day later in UK/Ireland compared to the rest of Europe? It's bad enough we still get games later than America but now later than mainland europe too? Bullshit. I wanna play
apparently because of retailers preferring to get new stock in for/on friday.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I went to register my copy on the Koanmi site but I never got a platform prompt, even though the instructions said I was supposed to. Normal?

Danny 117

There's definitely something wrong with my Xbox One version. Now I completed the intel acquisition mission in the back of a truck and got no achievement. Anyone else having these issues?

I found this extremely annoying I got caught off guard because of this. Also, the contextual cover needs to be refined, it's way too touchy.

Yeah exactly. I just don't like how they made the effort to let guards see you through door grates (which I think is a cool detail) and then have this totally lame old-school system for controlling the doors. It feels so out of context with the other refinements they've made to the stealth. Agreed on the cover mechanics as well.

MercuryLS

Banned
This thing might be short but it's a fun little sandbox that I love just messing around in. It kinda reminds me of an expanded tanker mission from MGS2. I'm really enjoying it and don't regret the $30 I spent on it surprisingly.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Anyone know where tapes 5 and 6 are?

I can't confirm that, and since I don't know the other locations, I can't verify the accuracy of that. D:

And getting through that speed-run route that was linked here as an S-rank abuse of reflex... without using Reflex... is damn tough on Normal. Hitting the light-guard with the tranq at a distance while avoiding two vehicles and another guard and trying to take the light-guard down (which seems to have hit detection issues with the FPS mode since the game is crushing blacks on PS3... *sigh*) is nearly impossible. It'd be nice to have an X hit-marker to at least let me know I hit the person...

Once you take them down, it's pretty cake for Chico. You can even take the lights out there to give yourself some darkness but apparently firing the gun without the supressor despite the guards being knocked out in the area seems to send an alert out since someone from the otherside of the map will hear the gunshots. :/

Cubed

This thing might be short but it's a fun little sandbox that I love just messing around in. It kinda reminds me of an expanded tanker mission from MGS2. I'm really enjoying it and don't regret the $30 I spent on it surprisingly.

My thoughts exactly.

Worth $30, no doubt. I've already put 6 hours into it. Nowhere near finished messing around, either.

TopGun

Banned
Can someone help me out here? I'm playing the PS3 version and on the mission where
I rescue Kojima
, just as the mission ends the translation from gameplay to cutscene freezes up and I'm stuck in the helicopter with the music. This happens often too, I can't finish the cutscene where I talk to the agent who hid the tape, and the opening cutscene to any mission besides GZ. 120GB slim model.

zlatko

Banned
I bit the bullet and traded in Thief to get this for free at Gamestop.

Result?

Played for about 2 hours to 3 hours messing around with just the main mission and completed it. To me JUST that was worth $30.00.

I retract my original statement. While I would've liked it to be less---there's more than enough meat here to justify a $30.00 purchase if you are a Metal Gear fan I feel.

Either way, the price will come down ASAP, but if you are someone who isn't just a main story hit and quit kind of player, then there is a LOT here to do to get a 100% completion rate or close to.

I LOVED it, and I CANNOT wait for Phantom Pain now. Bring on the collector's editions!!

That said-------------

I was wondering, can I customize my weapons like MGS4? Remove my silencers, attachments, etc ?

Also, they dropped FPS view mode for guns too ?

I couldn't just knife enemies either...what's up with that?

I'm a little hesitant what the next Metal Gear Online will be like now without the knifing and CQC shenanigans. CQC is still there, but also dumbed down as far as I can tell.

It seems they "streamlined" everything, but IMO for the worse.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
You can add/remove silencers for the weapons that already have them equipped, but so far no customization. Partly due to this being early Alpha/verticle-slice for Phantom Pain. Hopefully the customization comes back from 4 in 5.

cackhyena

I bit the bullet and traded in Thief to get this for free at Gamestop.

Result?

Played for about 2 hours to 3 hours messing around with just the main mission and completed it. To me JUST that was worth $30.00.

I retract my original statement. While I would've liked it to be less---there's more than enough meat here to justify a $30.00 purchase if you are a Metal Gear fan I feel.

Either way, the price will come down ASAP, but if you are someone who isn't just a main story hit and quit kind of player, then there is a LOT here to do to get a 100% completion rate or close to.

I LOVED it, and I CANNOT wait for Phantom Pain now. Bring on the collector's editions!!

That said-------------

I was wondering, can I customize my weapons like MGS4? Remove my silencers, attachments, etc ?

Also, they dropped FPS view mode for guns too ?

I couldn't just knife enemies either...what's up with that?

I'm a little hesitant what the next Metal Gear Online will be like now without the knifing and CQC shenanigans. CQC is still there, but also dumbed down as far as I can tell.

It seems they "streamlined" everything, but IMO for the worse.
Hit R1 while aiming your gun for fps view.

ButchCat

Yeah exactly. I just don't like how they made the effort to let guards see you through door grates (which I think is a cool detail) and then have this totally lame old-school system for controlling the doors. It feels so out of context with the other refinements they've made to the stealth. Agreed on the cover mechanics as well.
Man I miss the "knock on the wall" mechanic from MGS4 and how CQC was tailored specifically for primary and secondary weapons and how specific CQC moves could be triggered using different combos. Streamlining the CQC now feels like a step down from MGS4. The AI is definitely smarter now though, I give them that. Overall gameplay is still smooth and satisfying but I wish they hadn't removed some of the things that I mentioned.

Just look at this and tell me you don't miss it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94gSY08qKL4

I remember how pissed I was when they first showed the Jamais Vu mission because It looked much better than Deja Vu and all I have are Playstation consoles but after playing Deja Vu and watching a video walkthrough on Jamais Vu my opinion flipped completely. DJ has so much more work and detail put into it that it's crazy. JV is just a simple kill the targets objective. But one random thing that stuck out was Raidens voice. When he say's spit it out when you interrogate someone it sounds a lot like David Hayter and there is no credit for Raidens voice in the end. Maybe I'm just tired. But these exclusive missions should end up on the opposite consoles as free DLC since the game is lacking in missions.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I notice that if the 'spotted' indicator pops up, there's no real way to hide and get rid of it. That seems really frustrating, it's definitely more realistic (why would they forget they saw you?), but for the sake of gameplay it should give you some leeway, unless there's something I'm missing...

Can someone help me out here? I'm playing the PS3 version and on the mission where
I rescue Kojima,
just as the mission ends the translation from gameplay to cutscene freezes up and I'm stuck in the helicopter with the music. This happens often too, I can't finish the cutscene where I talk to the agent who hid the tape, and the opening cutscene to any mission besides GZ. 120GB slim model.

You should probably spoiler tag that. I thought the surprise was awesome since I didn't know about it before hand and this might ruin it for some.

B.K.

I ran through the game tonight and I really sucked at it. It took 80 minutes and I got a C rank. I ended up dying and having to retry seven times. I don't know how many guards I killed. I played worse than the guy streaming last weekend. I hope the guards are easier to see in The Phantom Pain. I ran around almost the entire game with the night vision goggles on so I could see enemies. I hope the instant alert is gone in The Phantom Pain too. It seemed to me like it was a lot harder to get out of alert status. Most of the times I died was because I couldn't get away from the enemies. I was even hiding under a shed once and they still found me. They have x-ray vision.

TopGun

Banned
You should probably spoiler tag that. I thought the surprise was awesome since I didn't know about it before hand and this might ruin it for some.

Sorry about that, went and edited my post.

Fixed my own issue! My dorm has a really shaky internet for wireless, so I guess my PS3 kept trying to send my mission data to the server which was causing the freeze. Disabling internet fixed it.

Ran Ran

Just beat it a few minutes ago. GAWD DAMN at that ending. Phantom Pain can't come soon enough.

Me too.

I absolutely love the tone of the story.

I was definitely not expecting to see a
little girl's guts all over the place, damn!

Also, as far as Big Boss is concerned
Sutherland > Hayter

Top Bottom