• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes |OT| Kaz, I'm already a demo

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Quick question: Does this game spoil Peace Walker?

I'm only just now getting around to going through it on Vita, so I don't want it spoiled for me. But GZ is here, now, and I'm dying to play it.

The story continues from after Peace Walker, so I wouldn't play this until you've finished PW.

Mik2121

WHAT.

Explain. Now.

I think he means you can bring a bunch of POWs to one of the rendezvous locations and call a helicopter. The heli will stay there until you leave the area so you can load a bunch of POWs at the same time. It's what I did with all the POWs around Chico. I brought all of them to the location and then called the helicopter.

Also, I'm still playing through my first gameplay. I have already played probably more than 2 hours and I'm not done. And even then I feel like I've missed a lot of stuff :S

FrankWza

im still on the fence. on the one hand im a huge MGS fan. on the other hand i dont i have the feeling this is worth 30€ at all and i dont know if i should support this. :-/

Simple for someone in your shoes.

Do you want the first run dlc?
Do you think this(GZ)will be included in TPP?

No+yes=wait

AlexIIDX

Is it possible to get Paz out without the guards finding the empty cell? I get no alerts until I get Paz and all hell breaks loose.

AwShucks

Should I play Peace Walker? Made me curious after finishing the game...

Yes you should. It's a great game. The base building and recruiting mechanics are quite fun. The story I thought was fairly good. I'm also a huge fan of the Ashley Wood art for "cutscenes".

despire

Is it just me or does the PS4 lack the much talked about dynamic sky? I was just playing the first Side Op and the sky looked pretty bad - like a regular skybox.

yes, it is a lot better than MGS4. I played PW on my PSP with a broken joy stick (snake kept moving automatically since the stick was broken) and I still enjoyed it from start to finish

great game

i really like the way guards cooperate with each other. if one in an elevated position spots something, they'll call out to someone on the ground to go investigate. in a previous game, that guy would have walked allllllll the way down the stairs and alllll the way past the helipad, go "huh. guess it was nothing" and then go allllll the way back.

i haven't had a whole lot of time to mess around yet. has anyone noticed any other neat AI behaviors?

casmith07

i really like the way guards cooperate with each other. if one in an elevated position spots something, they'll call out to someone on the ground to go investigate. in a previous game, that guy would have walked allllllll the way down the stairs and alllll the way past the helipad, go "huh. guess it was nothing" and then go allllll the way back.

i haven't had a whole lot of time to mess around yet. has anyone noticed any other neat AI behaviors?

They coordinate and fight in squads a lot better in this game.

I'm really enjoying how unforgiving the sneaking is, though. You really have to sneak in this game or you'll be spotted and all hell breaks loose. It's not like old MGS games where you can hide in a locker or a box until the timer runs out.

Feels like Kojima really likes the 1970s era timeline and wants to continue exploring that more in more of Big Boss' stories. I'm all for it -- more realism.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Feels like Kojima really likes the 1970s era timeline and wants to continue exploring that more in more of Big Boss' stories. I'm all for it -- more realism.

Ah the 70s, where AI technology is advanced enough to be able to control bipedal mechs through imitation of a human brain, cloning is done, and basic espionage equipment includes a device that works like a holographic map.

foxtrot3d

Banned

I find it odd for people to play this without playing PW, GZ really expects you've played the game and alre familiar with Paz, Chico, and Miller otherwise a lot of the emotional impact is lost.

deim0s

I'm really enjoying how unforgiving the sneaking is, though. You really have to sneak in this game or you'll be spotted and all hell breaks loose. It's not like old MGS games where you can hide in a locker or a box until the timer runs out.

There are times of AI lapsing too that breaks the 'realism' a bit, squad chases and pelts the guard tower a magazine full and you don't budge even one bit - one yells to cease fire and they won't investigate further.

In the heli you can spam POW's if you place them near by the drop off point then call the chopper and just put them all in. I always just got them all put them in a small cave and then call the chopper and get them out.

I believe you can also transport up to three prisoners in a Jeep, so if you want to get really efficient in your rescues you could bring a Jeep to the old prison, load it up and ferry everyone down to the RV in one go :p

Gawd, that Deja Vu mission is brilliant! Some of the finest fan-service I've ever witnessed, and Robin Atkin Downes just knocks it out of the park. And that QUIZ! I can't wait to retry it on Hard, because I nailed them all on Normal. That
"Don't use an auto-fire controller/the internet, or I'll know"
reference was masterful.

I find it odd for people to play this without playing PW, GZ really expects you've played the game and alre familiar with Paz, Chico, and Miller otherwise a lot of the emotional impact is lost.

I need to find that post someone made earlier to that video that covers the events of Peace Walker.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Ah the 70s, where AI technology is advanced enough to be able to control bipedal mechs through imitation of a human brain, cloning is done, and basic espionage equipment includes a device that works like a holographic map.

What can Kojima say? Big Boss had the finest military and scientific minds at motherbase of that era.

Chairhome

I played and finished my first playthrough last night. under an hour, got an S rank. No reflex time (cause i retried 4 times. when I got caught :-D). I'll definitely be playing it again, along with the side ops, which is something i normally don't do. I loved it, even though it was short, and will probably double dip when i get a ps4 since i plan on playing pp on ps4.

Sutherland's voice was fine. I thought it fit the character, and am in the audience that believes Hayter's version was a caricature of its former self.

The wait for PP is going to be a long one...

I was up in a watch tower when a guard came all the way to investigate. I thought I was screwed buy went prone anyway waiting for him to climb up. When he finally did get up to the top, he yelped but I already tranqed him the face. I freaked out though cause I thought the fall backward was gonna kill him lol

This game is fantastic. I’m not even going to bother trying to defend it to the numbskull notions that are swimming around about it’s inherent value as a “game” (ridiculous).

The polish of the MGS series is one of my favourite things about it as well as the insane level of detail – so glad to see that this iteration is no different. I can see myself sinking a LOT of play time into this. Glad I went with digital on the PS4 with this one which will make quick play sessions a snap.

My only gripe is this makes the wait for MGSV:TPP that much harder but it’s also sparked me to go in and start messing around again with the earlier games as well as finally finish Peace Walker. Absolutely brilliant stuff.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Quick question: Does this game spoil Peace Walker?

I'm only just now getting around to going through it on Vita, so I don't want it spoiled for me. But GZ is here, now, and I'm dying to play it.

The game feels more like a final epilogue to the events of Peace Walker. So I would highly recommend playing it first.

braves01

Banned
There are times of AI lapsing too that breaks the 'realism' a bit, squad chases and pelts the guard tower a magazine full and you don't budge even one bit - one yells to cease fire and they won't investigate further.

I was on a roof once, but flubbed the reflex triggering an alert after the guard had climbed up. I heard the 'spotted an enemy, send backup' dialogue or whatever is, and watched the guard who'd spotted me turn around and climb down the ladder to join the team looking for me. Lol, if i were on PS4 I would have saved that clip for sure.

Ladders in general drop the realism big time. If there's a team coming to look for you up on a roof, you can just pop all of them in the head as they climb up, and their squadmates who presumably see their unconscious bodies falling back down, continue to climb up as if the same thing wont happen to them.

Its funny because due the artstyle, time period, green fatigues, weapons, infiltration of a base, etc., this game honestly may as well be called Metal Gear (and kind of wish it was)

Its seriously the most genuine feeling MG game probably since Snake Eater and even that was only due to Grozny Grad.

Ground Zeros is THE Metal Gear game I fantasized about in my head when I was a kid (^____^)

One of the nuances/subtleties I thoroughly enjoyed about one of the side missions:

In the "Classified Intel Acquisition" mission, once you interrogate the undercover agent, use your binoculars to locate the surveillance camera in the tower where you retrieve the cassette tape. Once the agent wakes up (if you didn't kill him), put him in a choke hold and interrogate him again. He apologizes to Snake for not warning him about the surveillance camera and provides an interesting monologue about how Cipher is holding his family captive. You have to hit the "Spit it out" dialogue option a few times to get the full story. Also, you can rescue the agent with a helicopter. You aren't awarded any points for it, though.

Sami+

Its funny because due the artstyle, time period, green fatigues, weapons, infiltration of a base, etc., this game honestly may as well be called Metal Gear (and kind of wish it was)

Its seriously the most genuine feeling MG game probably since Snake Eater and even that was only due to Grozny Grad.

Ground Zeros is the Metal Gear game I fantasized about in my head when I was a kid (^____^)

Really hoping we get Metal Gear remakes after Phantom Pain.

MDSLKTR

One of the nuances/subtleties I thoroughly enjoyed about one of the side missions:

In the "Classified Intel Acquisition" mission, once you interrogate the undercover agent, use your binoculars to locate the surveillance camera in the tower where you retrieve the cassette tape. Once the agent wakes up (if you didn't kill him), put him in a choke hold and interrogate him again. He apologizes to Snake for not warning him about the surveillance camera and provides an interesting monologue about how Cipher is holding his family captive. You have to hit the "Spit it out" dialogue option a few times to get the full story. Also, you can rescue the agent with a helicopter. You aren't awarded any points for it, though.

That's really awesome. If the full game has this level of details over dozens of hours then I am genuinely scared.

even with horribly compressed pic, Big Boss being a boss:

u8sl2on.jpg

:p

edit: I get a thrill everytime I shoot out a light :D

Can't connect to iDroid at all, really disappointing as I've ended up doing all of my first few runs through the game without it. This is the GTAV companion app all over again.

im still on the fence. on the one hand im a huge MGS fan. on the other hand i dont i have the feeling this is worth 30€ at all and i dont know if i should support this. :-/

As a huge Metal Gear fan myself, I can say I'm pretty disappointed with this even though I knew what it was going to be going in. The gameplay is good, can't wait for a real game based around it. But, this is so limited in scope it's crazy. I don't want to say it feels like a demo, 'cause it doesn't really. It just feels like an incomplete game.

Go rent it. You'll have it done in a day.

Timeaisis

Alright, finished the main mission. Couple of questions:

- Can I only collect patches and cassettes in the GZ mission? (I'm assuming yes)
- How do I unlock Deja Vu? I hear it's completely un-intuitive and I'd rather not waste my time trying to figure it out.
- I can't for the life of me figure out how to do a "disarm" CQC move.

And...some thoughts.
- Gameplay is pretty solid. Has nice "mess-around" aspects like 2 and 3 did.
- I hate the regenerating health to death.
- CQC feels pretty good. Somewhere between MGS3 and MGS4, although I still like the depth of MGS4's CQC a little better,
- TBH. I don't mind no radar. Never had one for MGS3 (my favorite), don't care about one now.
- Marking feels like cheating
- Wish they brought back footstep rumble or that "sphere" system in MGS4 that rose as enemies neared.
- Running is cool, but weird.
- CQC is fast and fun with groups of enemies, but still very poorly explained just like all the other games!
- Obviously, too short. Story was interesting but too dark for my taste.
- Vehicles were cool, but I didn't use them a whole lot
- Like the multiple options for infiltrating. Hope TPP has lots of that kind of stuff. Reminded me of Grozny Grad infiltration in MGS3 (probably the coolest part of the game, IMO).
- LOVE the new Codec system. L1 to have an earpiece. I don't have to get out of game. Great stuff. And works with Binocs. A+, my favorite new feature.
- Listening to audio is clunky, at best. I like being able to listen and play, but in-game the audio is muffled. Really annoying when Kaz is trying to talk to you. There's no "quick pause" of your current audio recording either, which there should be.
- iDroid is cool and useful.
- Graphics are pretty. Daylight has noticeable pop-in. Hoping for all-next gen TPP.

Finally,
Skull Face is totally Volgin.
Just my opinion, though.

AKyemeni

Alright, finished the main mission. Couple of questions:

1. Can I only collect patches and cassettes in the GZ mission? (I'm assuming yes)
2. How do I unlock Deja Vu? I hear it's completely un-intuitive and I'd rather not waste my time trying to figure it out.
3. I can't for the life of me figure out how to do a "disarm" CQC move.

1. The patches are all in Ground Zeroes, but the cassettes are scattered throughout the other missions as well.

2. Collect all the XOF patches

3. press the CQC button once or a couple of times, then hold the aim button.

Easy peasy

Run up to a dude, punch him once or twice with R2, then just hold L2

I was just about to ask about this since I remember seeing it done in one of the Phantom Pain trailers.

I like how there's quite a few manuevers you can do just with a few buttons + directions.

As far as I know there's

Hold Up: Aim at enemy from behind to hold them up, use interrogate to have them lie down. The help tip said they will stay there until they are called. So if no one patrols that area or calls for them (due to not responding to a radio call) they should theoretically stay there for the entire mission.

Throw: Movement direction plus R2. Quickly throws the enemy and the stun lasts less than a tranquilizer. Help tip says the stun is maximized when you throw them into a wall but the same thing can happen with the 5 hit combo so I'm not sure just how much time is added by wall stun.

Grab/Restrain: Press R2 near an enemy to hold them. You can interroagate for information, use them as a bullet shield, sleeper hold them or kill them. Not sure what the stun time on the sleeper hold is. To fire your weapon from this position hold L2. You will raise your gun and can then let go of R2 so you can use it to fire. When you want to return to the hold let go of L2 then hold R2 to maintain your grab. Unknown how the sleeper hold stun time ranks among the others, the help tips state that the 5 hit CQC combo does the most stun time (longer than tranquilizer).

5 hit combo: Press R2 multiple times near an enemy WITHOUT moving the analog stick to do a 5 hit CQC combo. According to the help tip this has the longest stun time, even longer than a tranquilizer. You can punch/kick enemies if they are near walls as well so I'm not sure if that adds to stun time and if so how much. I guess 5 hit combo + wall stun has the highest stun time of all moves.

Disarm: Press R2 near an enemy WITHOUT moving the left analog stick then press L2 to disarm your opponent. I still need to test this myself but I'm assuming they go into the Hold Up status afterwards so you can probably interrogate and force them to lie down.

One thing missing from 4 I think is the ability to sleeper hold someone while lying prone (sleeper hold on top of them).

Hopefully this helps someone.

Top Bottom