• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes |OT| Kaz, I'm already a demo

MormaPope

Banned
I'm sure not being told he was being replaced until he found out on the internet has something to do with his anger.

People in this industry get angry everyday, expressing yourself in a toxic manner isn't a good way to keep bridges unburnt. Being a professional means not spitting venom in dumb ways.

Was the situation handled incorrectly? Yes. Has Hayter handled the situation correctly? Fuck no.

Timu

I like how the mud looks in this game:
878e8cdf_ifyA5Q3vXQR7W.png

Loxley

Yeah guys, I took Haytor's little avatar change a tongue-in-cheek joke. I don't think he's genuinely taking jabs. Unless I completely missed something where Haytor did seem to express complete outrage in response to not playing Boss in GZ.

Hupsel

David will probably be back for TPP and this is just one of Kojimas plans to get the world talking about the game. Cant see a serious professional acting like this because of Snake so its probably staged.

Betty

Banned
People in this industry get angry everyday, expressing yourself in a toxic manner isn't a good way to keep bridges unburnt. Being a professional means not spitting venom in dumb ways.

Was the situation handled incorrectly? Yes. Has Hayter handled the situation correctly? Fuck no.

Gentle ribbing is the same as spitting venom? All Hayter has done is thank his fans, answer their questions and wished the team at Kojima pro good luck. He's never gone on an angry tirade or lashed out at Kojima or anyone else.

MormaPope

Banned
Gentle ribbing is the same as spitting venom? All Hayter has done is thank his fans, answer their questions and wished the team at Kojima pro good luck. He's never gone on an angry tirade or lashed out at Kojima or anyone else.

I remember him being less playful last year.

Betty

Banned
Still didn't seem to come from a place of hate, and none of his comments seemed as spiteful as some try to make us believe.

BlueWord

He was verrrryyyy salty immediately after the announcement. Overly salty, very public. Part of what makes me think he'll be involved in some way with his game.

Mature

Regarding the Hayter/Kiefer thing, it's such a weird, confusing dilemma for Metal Gear fans. I was able to come to terms with Kiefer as BB pretty quickly, and I just hope he does his best throughout TPP, but this is in part because I believe that we're nearing a part of the timeline where it just doesn't make sense for him to have a voice identical to Solid Snake. I hope that if Snake does appear in the game at the appropriate age, that it's Hayter. It would be really heartbreaking if it wasn't. And I definitely don't think it's beyond Kojima and Hayter to pull the wool over fans eyes by manufacturing a spat.

Nope, that's only if you get Paz first. I've run through it twice, both ways. First time I accidentally got Paz first because I was exploring everything (lol, whoops) and that small scene happens. Also of note is if you get Paz first some VO is cut out about Chico.
I know that's a small detail, but it's really cool. Kojima did say that different playthroughs would feature different stuff and they sure do. If TPP has a lot of this stuff, the replayability is going to be enormous.

Rom1944

I got the game today here in Spain and neither of the codes that come inside works is this normal or its supposed to work today?

ekim

Are the cutscenes rendered in real time? If so... Wow.
Just finished the main mission and the ending cutscene was just awesome.

tesqui

So what happens if you get paz, put her down near a landing zone, then go grab Chico and put him down next to her? I wonder if dialogue will change or if they interact at all.

shandy706

I was going to pick the game up....am I crazy or was it supposed to be $30 now?

It was $40.....so I ended up not doing it. Could have sworn it was supposed to be $29.99 instead.

Betty

Banned
So what happens if you get paz, put her down near a landing zone, then go grab Chico and put him down next to her? I wonder if dialogue will change or if they interact at all.

I did that very thing, even drove with them both in a jeep, they didn't say a thing to each other as far as I remember.

I was going to pick the game up....am I crazy or was it supposed to be $30 now?

It was $40.....so I ended up not doing it. Could have sworn it was supposed to be $29.99 instead.

Where you at? United States should be $29.99 across all territories. If it isn't, slap the salesperson and proclaim their store a house of lies... Because, seriously, $29.99 MSRP.

shandy706

Where you at? United States should be $29.99 across all territories. If it isn't, slap the salesperson and proclaim their store a house of lies... Because, seriously, $29.99 MSRP.

3 different local stores and numerous sites I've checked. Even looked up the X1 version on the Microsoft Store and it's $39.99. I have $35 in Microsoft credit...but I don't want to pay $40 even with the credit.

This is bull.

Edit** Just checked with Microsoft CS....the page is messed up. Called a store back and their labels were wrong...LOL NM

Mature

If anyone's interested my friend's doing a joke stream of the game where his objective is to destroy everything with the tank:

http://www.twitch.tv/stranger_in_the_alps

It's been pretty hilarious so far.
Haha, I wish I'd thought of this.

He was tricky like one time, with MGS2.

I have no idea why people act like it's the only thing he does.
While the bait and switch in MGS2 is probably the most notable one, it certainly isn't the only real world example:
qzijB3Q.png

I don't think people should expect the Hayter thing to be a trick, but it's within the realm of possibility.

Alienous

While the bait and switch in MGS2 is probably the most notable one, it certainly isn't the only real world example:
qzijB3Q.png

I don't think people should expect the Hayter thing to be a trick, but it's within the realm of possibility.

Apparently that whole thing was his teams idea. All the way to 'Joakim Mogren'.

daveo42

Banned
He was tricky like one time, with MGS2.

I have no idea why people act like it's the only thing he does.

They did try to do it with the Phantom Pain reveal, but made the whole thing a bit to obvious. It's not the only thing he does, but I'm sure he gets a kick out of it. MGS2 wasn't even a troll. It was a lesson in information control, which worked out really well and came out at just the right time.

Let me dream a little. I still haven't gotten used to Kiefer's voice yet.

Edit: Dammit...

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
I still think this is all part of some sort of elaborate plan cooked up by Kojima. Take it so far for so long and then BAM! You got Kojitrolled.

This. No professional would do something like this. It's not making him look good, and that could harm his career pretty badly.

Dueck

Banned
1. Love the magazine.

2. I definitely feel if a developer must choose between 720p @ 60 FPS or 1080p @ 30 FPS, the better frame rate is the way to go. It impacts both appearance and gameplay.

3. I expect the most elaborate ruse in Kojima's history to be found in The Phantom Pain.

4. $30 well spent for me on Ground Zeroes. Awww Yeaaah.

Granted, we haven't handled the situation super well, but man is he ever trying to burn every bridge he possibly had left.
Either he really doesn't care about potentially being invited back for Solid Snake or he already has assurance and is just playing the game to throw the fans off. I'm hoping for the latter, but it feels really unlikely with every passing day.

Kimppis

Amazing thread title. Love it.

Just finished the main mission on Normal. I took it slowly, so I beat it in exactly 2 hours. Couldn't find Paz at first, lol. Also, I suck horribly, even though I have an MGS avatar. Now I'm going for 100%...

It shows massive potential, IMO. Really liked the gameplay and open-world level design. MGS5 could be as good as Snake Eater. (I was really disappointed with MGS4.) I think Kiefer did a good job, no complains from me. And yeah, the graphics are a hit and miss. Some aspects look nice, some others not so much. Thought it was strange that the interrogation dialogue was not voiced. It wasn't done yet? Not very "next-gen".

Has the summary of the Kojima Station podcast been posted here, yet?

Ground Zeroes comes with download codes for The Phantom Pain (register at Konami Core) to unlock special things.

Next up was a gameplay recording showing off the skills of one of the studio’s top players. The staff commented on the video.

If you skip the intro cutscene, enemy positions will be different because they move in realtime during the opening scene.

There is a new move: throwing enemies you’re carrying. This will knock them out (from sleep status to knocked out).

You can eavesdrop on enemy conversations to find out the location of characters (POWs) to recruit.

Alert status is indicated by the music (since there is no longer a soliton radar that displays it).

About the iDroid App: By completing challenges in Ground Zeroes (such as getting a certain amount of head shots) you can unlock new characters in the standalone Mother Base game.

Message from Kojima: Back in the day games were all about mastering your skills through multiple playthroughs and about interactivity, and he wanted to recreate that type of game with Ground Zeroes.

Next time: In the next episode they will talk to creative producer Matsuhana, and Yoji Shinkawa (and show his workspace). In the Japanese version, Ludvig Forssell will talk about the sound side, spilling secrets about how they do stuff. The show will be streamed at a more convenient time.

Betty

Banned
How do you change/use the costumes if you unlocked them ?

And how many unlockable skins are there ?

So far there are only
2, both can only be used in the Deja Vu mission, don't know about the J'emais Vu mission, to use them, highlight the mission when you've unlocked them and press left or right to change skin.

If you skip the intro cutscene, enemy positions will be different because they move in realtime during the opening scene.

That's a nice detail.

Mature

Thought it was strange that the interrogation dialogue was not voiced. It wasn't done yet? Not very "next-gen".
Felt to me like a symptom of limited resources and limited time in a limited game. I would be surprised if TPP didn't have voiced interrogation dialogue.

It'll be really interesting to see what changes from GZ to TPP. Do we know if the health system is going to remain the same in TPP? That's something I'd like to see altered or reverted back. I thought MGS4 handled it quite well.

So far there are only
2, both can only be used in the Deja Vu mission, don't know about the J'emais Vu mission, to use them, highlight the mission when you've unlocked them and press left or right to change skin.

Well, that's disappointing....

No love for that tiger stripe camo from MGS3&PW :/

Fehyd

Banned
Granted, we haven't handled the situation super well, but man is he ever trying to burn every bridge he possibly had left.

Tell that to the fan base too. I have friends on Facebook who want kojima to do release events just so they can tell him how much they hate sutherland to his face. These were people who cosplayed as characters to mgs4 events and adored him before. Memoriabilia, merch, the whole nine yards. I almost feel like Kojima is going after a new demographic because so much of the diehard mgs fan base didn't even question Hayter as big boss, and there's a large backlash that kojima is "selling out". Basically doing the old "appealing to new audiences" thing that so many games try to do, while flipping the established fan base a middle finger.

I have to laugh though, that Akio Otsuka was kept as the Japanese voice. People keep throwing out that old "but his voice has to change" chestnut.

I love Ground Zeroes. But it's more in spite of Kiefer than because of him.

Top Bottom